Start by marking “Jane Doe and the Cradle of All Worlds” as Want to Read:
Jane Doe and the Cradle of All Worlds

Jane Doe and the Cradle of All Worlds

(Jane Doe Chronicles #1)

Step inside. Don’t look back. Forward is the only way. Philip Pullman's Northern Lights meets Mad Max in this unforgettable blockbuster adventure about the world between worlds.

When a fierce quake strikes the remote island of Bluehaven, and her father disappears, Jane Doe is thrown headfirst into an epic quest to bring him home.

But this ain’t no ordinary rescue mission. H
Published August 1st 2018 by Hardie Grant Egmont

Obsidio by Amie KaufmanAmelia Westlake by Erin GoughSmall Spaces by Sarah   EpsteinThe Brightsiders by Jen  WildeA Thousand Perfect Notes by C.G. Drews
#LoveOzYA 2018
54 books — 69 voters
How to Bee by Bren MacDibbleThe Trials of Morrigan Crow by Jessica  TownsendIris and the Tiger by Leanne HallThe Endsister by Penni RussonThe Bone Sparrow by Zana Fraillon
#LoveOzMG
83 books — 17 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Jane Doe and the Cradle of All Worlds
Mary-ellen
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a fabulous debut YA novel by Jeremy Lachlan. I'd probably put it at the upper end of middle grade/primary or the young end of YA.

It's an action-packed adventure story about Jane Doe who enters the mysterious manor on a quest to find her father. The manor is a giant ever-changing labyrinth with traps, hazzards, bad guys and other dangers at every turn. It's more a character than a place. It's also what connects and supports all of the worlds. So when Jane discovers it's been invaded by t
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
Jeremy Lachlan is a wonderfully imaginative and ingenious voice in Australian young adult literature. Jane Doe and the Cradle of All Worlds is breathtaking and delightfully captivating until the final page.

The island nation of Bluehaven is a picturesque community, a village permeated by earthquakes and immersed in mythology. For thousands of years, the residents of Bluehaven have apotheosised the remnants of the entrance to another world, a decrepit, monument representing adventure and heroism.
Rachael
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this to my kids a couple of chapters each night over a few weeks. We had a break where I went away for work and they were not best pleased. In fact, every time we read, the moment I said, ‘we’ll stop here’ the protests were loud and bitter!

Things I particularly loved: readability! I love reading aloud. I have a tremendous fondness for the sound and texture of words on the tongue. Reading Jane Doe aloud was a joy. I kept noticing it. I kept thinking, gosh this is so great to read aloud -
Kristy
Actual rating: 4.5>

AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! I loved this book so much omgggg!! It was as fun as I was hoping it would be, and then some! AND THE ENDING UURGHHAAAAHHH!!!!! Full review to come!
Nicole Lemmon
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jane Doe and the Cradle of All Worlds is a fast paced gripping, adventure story, with a fantastic twist at the end!

The characters are fantastic, (I think my Violet is well on track to be a fan favourite!), the weird monsters are awesome, the manor comes to life in an amazing way and the villain is one of the creepiest, down right terrifying, bad guys out there!

This book kept me on the edge of my seat right up until the last page and now I already can't wait for the sequel!
Julie Garner
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, young-adult, action
What a great action adventure story for kids 12+!
There is a lot of humour, a little Indiana Jones and plenty of questions within this book.
Jane doesn't know a lot about herself or her dad but she loves him with all her heart. Everything she does is to protect him. When he one day disappears she begins a spooky, scary quest in to the heart of the labyrinth to find him before anyone else does.
Of course, you can't have an adventure without sidekicks...so watch out for them. I have to say, I LOVE
RG
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a very good YA novel for younger readers. Cool world to explore, fun characters and I loved the first person narration. Being a bit older than target readers age, I found the main plot points a little predictable however for the younger readers I think they will love this. Their imagination and amazement will get caught up in the story. I feel like this could be a big seller and I hope it does as its an extremely fun read. My only complaint is that the 2nd half just felt like it directi ...more
Zohal
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An awesome cliffhanger!

Action-packed with a sassy heroine and a very interesting plot. This reminds me very much of the His Dark Materials trilogy by Phillip Pullman.

This is the perfect book for middle-grade readers or just older kids wanting to get into reading.
Daniel Lammin
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A rip-roaring, breathless adventure, filled with thrilling action sequences, enormous world building and a terrific collection of witty and engaging characters, especially its title character. Almost impossible to put down. It puts its foot to the pedal and barely stops for breath, with genuine surprises at every turn. The next installment can’t come fast enough!
Rebecca
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Warning, warning! Middle-aged lady review:

I picked this book up a few months ago and read the first section after hearing great things on social media - and, loved it.

I’d read reviews saying the book was ‘middle grade fiction’, and thought it would be fine for a primary school audience.

But, when I saw the book nominated for the 2019 ABIA Awards for the ‘13+ yrs older children’, I popped the book into my handbag and brought it home to read properly over the weekend.

While there were a few ‘iffy
Annie
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Simple minds fear what is different..."

Yes I am rating this 5 stars as this was one of the best adventures I have read this year. From the first page, right to the very end, this book was full of nothing but page turning, action packed adventure!! Something was always happening on every chapter - it was never a dull moment. What I also enjoyed were the mysteries that were within the underlying story. The biggest mystery of all - who is our protagonist Jane Doe? where did she come from? why is s
Alex
Aug 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Jane Doe and the Cradle of All Worlds is a valiant effort by a local author, and one that will probably catch the minds of younger Young Adult readers. At times the book can't help feeling familiar - Jane is introduced living in the basement of an abusive household for reasons that are deemed "magically sound", the bulk of the novel's action consists of Running through a Maze - but Lachlan adds a few flourishes to make the story his own. Jane has an almost cute (albeit conveniently justified) cr ...more
Mitch
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a ride! This book will take you into its world, carry you along an exciting trail with characters who will surprise you and make you laugh, to a thrilling end which will have you wanting book #2 immediately. Lachlan has created a unique world full of interesting people, creatures, places, things and moments. You'll be charmed and intrigued, shocked and entertained from page one to the very end. A super debut from a new Aussie author.
Educateempower
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wow - Every time I picked up this book I knew that my heart would be racing, I’d be skipping words and I’d be turning the page before I had even finished reading it.

It’s just one of those books that you shouldn’t read before bed if you need to relax!

Jane Doe and The Cradle of all Worlds is a cross between some of my favourite stories: Narnia, Indiana Jones, Nevermoor and Pan’s labyrinth.

It’s fast paced and action packed but the characters are so enchanting that it is not only the adventure you w
Ava Booth
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
There are so many mysteries in this book! As Jane Doe goes on the adventure to find her father she learns all sorts of secrets at the same time as the reader, which makes it really exciting and keeps you wanting to read on. I found the start of the story a little slow to get going, but once I was a third of the way through the book the excitement really started to kick in and then it became a real page turner.

I really enjoyed reading the parts set in the Manor where the rooms were shift
Kathryn
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
This first instalment of a middle-grade fantasy adventure series has some great moments and interesting twists, but, overall, the dark and slightly off humour was not for me.

A longer review appears on my blog, Kathryn's Inbox
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really, really enjoyed this! Think Indiana Jones, Temple Run-esque adventure with a great mystery, funny characters and a page turning plot line. Cannot wait for the next one!
Elaine Aldred
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Earthquakes have plagued the island of Bluehaven from the moment Jane Doe and her father emerged from the mysterious Manor fifteen years ago. Their appearance also signalled a sealing of the Manor, the entrance to other worlds through a dangerous labyrinth. From that day father and daughter have been despised by the residents of Bluehaven.
After the strongest quake to have ever hit Bluehaven strikes, coinciding with the disappearance of Jane’s father into the Manor, Jane must return into the Mano
Melinda Szymanik
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Hmm I mostly enjoyed this story - its a rollicking good adventure in a novel setting with some fairly big stakes. I did wonder at the audience though as it reads fairly middle grade but does have a fair amount of violence and some more mature themes which would suggest its more YA, but then it doesn't really feel YA. The voice, while most enjoyable to read, is very modern with modern, real-world expressions, and yet the setting seems old fashioned in a Ye Olde Worlde way so the voice seemed a bi ...more
Jo
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is an action-packed adventure, Jane Doe enters a mysterious manor on a quest to find her father. The manor is a giant ever-changing labyrinth with traps, hazards and villains. Jane is like a junior Indiana Jones, she navigates through the manor is filled with rooms that change, rooms filled with traps.

Fans of Phillip Pullman's Dark Materials, Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson adventures, will love this heart-pounding and spell-binding adventure with its nod to the classic 80s movies The Goonies
Cherie
Jul 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: aus-authors
Fun middle grade/ young adult adventure. Jane just seemed so Australian (Aussie author) which I totally loved and appreciated. Cliffhanger of course so I will be picking up the next book at some stage!
Tabi⁷ (ᕗツ)ᕗ
Oct 03, 2019 marked it as to-read
I heard Mad Max so I'm here
Romaly Butler
Aug 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
I found myself both loving and hating this book for unknown reasons. I dont know why, but by god, i could not stop reading it. Very enthralling story
Alexa
Aug 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So good! I hadn't heard anything about this book but picked it up at the book store on a whim. Very glad I did, this has everything I could want in a middlegrade! Very excited for a sequel.
Nix
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
THIS BOOK IS BRILLIANT!!!!!! Action packed, the story is super original and super awesome! I LOVE Jane as a character, she's everything I wanted to be when I was growing up - brave, clever and very bold. I can't wait for book 2!!!
Haylee Collins
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ok so you know how when you were a kid/pre-teen you had that one EPIC adventure story you read and loved so so much, and it changed your life and made you believe anything was possible, and that you'd obviously go on to be a grown-up who has the most fantastic adventures all the time, and even now when you think of it or re-read it you're transported back to that time and mindset?
This is that book.
Jaq
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: australian-2017
A slow start saw me put the book down a couple of times, but then I hung in and it grew on me.
Loved Jane, Violet and Hickory - and can't wait to see what they get up to next!
Sarria Butler
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An extraordinarily exciting, fast paced and inventive adventure that I just want more of!

Jane is a marvellously dense character with a heart of gold and a humour I can get behind. Lachlan's Manor is a wonder to behold and, like Hogwarts, you just want to be there!

The people of Bluehaven already hate Jane for causing havoc in their town, earth quakes occurring left right and centre are all blamed on Jane and her bedridden father stuck in a weird coma-like state.
When the town goes into a frenzy a
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Jane Doe and the Cradle of All Worlds by Jeremy Lachlan, 351 pages. Carolrhoda (Lerner, 2019. $18.

Language: R (50+ swears, 0 ‘f’); Mature Content: G; Violence: PG-13 (deaths)

BUYING ADVISORY: MS - OPTIONAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

All her life Jane Doe (as she is called by the townfolk) and her almost comatose father have been called cursed. Each year the town even burns effigies of them in order to maybe some day appease whoever cursed them. Since the night Jane and her appeared in Bluehaven their
Tim Armstrong
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It isn’t often that hyped books deliver to the level you expect, but “Jane Doe & the Cradle of the World” delivers, indeed it exceeded expectations.
I was fortunate enough to get an advance reading copy of this book and it blew me away - it's that good!!
Jane Doe is a rollicking tale of adventure and discovery that gets you hooked virtually from the first page and doesn’t let you go! Indeed the author just continues to ramp up the tension, (and at times the humour) right to the end! So get ready
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Struggling Writers: New Release! Jane Doe: Hell Hound 1 6 Dec 03, 2019 03:58AM

• Ottilie Colter and the Narroway Hunt (The Narroway Trilogy, #1)
  • De Slaventocht
  • Willow Moss & the Forgotten Tale (Starfell #2)
  • Willow Moss & the Lost Day (Starfell #1)
  • Toxine
  • The Strangeworlds Travel Agency (Strangeworlds Travel Agency #1)
  • The Lost Tide Warriors (Storm Keeper, #2)
  • Ember and the Ice Dragons
  • Zullen we het liefde noemen?
  • Das Rätsel der schwarzen Blume (Duftapotheke #2)
  • Het verdwenen eiland Kivamba (De Tempeljagers #1)
  • The End of the World Is Bigger than Love
  • Faye - Herz aus Licht und Lava
  • Das falsche Spiel der Meisterin (Die Duftapotheke #3)
  • Hell City - Laatste Halte
  • Ottilie Colter and the Master of Monsters (The Narroway Trilogy, #2)
  • The Year the Maps Changed
  • Owen and the Soldier
Jeremy Lachlan was born and raised in Griffith, country NSW, Australia. He completed his Honours degree in creative writing at the University of Canberra in 2004, and now calls Sydney home. As yet, he has won no writing prizes, but he did once take home $100 in a karaoke competition. He's super proud of this. He came up with the idea for Jane Doe and The Cradle of All Worlds while lost in the Cair ...more

Jane Doe Chronicles (2 books)
  • Jane Doe and the Key of All Souls