Start by marking “Starpilot's Grave (Mageworlds, #2)” as Want to Read:
Starpilot's Grave (Mageworlds, #2)

Starpilot's Grave

(Mageworlds #2)

A broken and drifting ship, its long-dead captain still strapped in the command seal: that's what free-spacers call a starpilot's grave. When one of these derelict craft appears in the Net, the artificial barrier zone separating the Republic from the Mageworlds, the discovery is no accident. It's a sign, a warning that the Mageworlds have not forgotten the Republic - and t ...more
Published June 15th 1993 by Tor Science Fiction

To ask other readers questions about Starpilot's Grave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Starpilot's Grave

Start your review of Starpilot's Grave (Mageworlds, #2)
Mary JL
Oct 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: science fiction/adventure fans
Recommended to Mary JL by: Found while browsing
Shelves: main-sf-fantasy
Continuing the story from Book I, The Price of the Stars, Beka Rosselin-Metadi is searching for the man who arranged her mother's murder. And she is gathering information about the MageWorlds intention.

There is more adventures, battles and much intrigue in this second book. One addition is the addition of 'mystical' aspects. The 'sorcery' of the Mages is pitted against the 'mental powers' of the Galcen Republic's Adepts Guild.

There are also flashbacks as the authros plant
Michael
Aug 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is the second book in this series and like the prequel and the 1st book I loved this one too. This series is reminiscence of the Star Wars books and movies. There is magic mixed with technology. The Adepts are the good guys and the Mages are the bad guys. The spaceships have Hyperdrive and The Warhammer, a free merchant ship, is one of the fastest in space. Also the Warhammer's owner and Captain, Beka Rosseelin-Metadi, is the last Domina of Lost Entibor. All similarities aside these books a ...more
Nanci
Mar 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book took me for a fantastic ride, and I cannot wait to see what happens in Part 3. I am crossing every finger that nobody I like dies, which means nobody because I love then all! Beka, Nyls, Owen (omg Owen), Ari, Llannat, Jos, Klea, all especially.

And talk about a fantastic ending. It was exactly what I wanted.

Beka - you rule.
Scribal
Mar 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: junk-syfy
#2 in one of my favorite Space Opera series. I think this book is the strongest because of where all the characters are in their development.
Fietspomp
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: possession
Jim Basl
A well written second novel

This was a well written second novel. The events unfold in a much faster pace than the first book. They are thought provoking and leave the reader wanting to read the next book.
Kari Chapman
Sep 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
There was about a month and a half gap between when I finished book 1 and started reading this book. During that time I gradually forgot how much I'd enjoyed the first book and let myself be fooled by the cover of book two into thinking this would be just an alright book, so I didn't pick it up with much enthusiasm. However, it didn't take long for me to remember just how enjoyable the last book was and that this book was just as good.

We have a few new POV characters added to the mix in this bo
Adobe
Apr 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
The sequel to The Price of the Stars continues the pulpy thrills of a galaxy one stop removed from Star Wars. Decades after being broken and humiliated, the Mageworlds are planning a conquering comeback -- but they reckoned without the Rosselin-Metadi clan. Adept Owen discovers the reawakening remnants of Mage power; Medic Ari stumbles into mutiny and betrayal within the Space Force; Captain Beka goes undercover to find evidence of the Mages' new military power. Yet all that information may come to nothin ...more
John
Jan 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy
Decent middle volume of a decent space opera. Definitely going on to the finish, though maybe not beyond that.

One irritating thingie: The narrative pov switches nearly every other page (sometimes every other paragraph) among four or more threads. I guess all the rapid cuts are intended to crank up the suspense, but for me it was just annoying--particularly as, in the Kindle version, at least, there is no space or other visual sign of the changes of venue.
Rain
Jun 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The second book in the Mageworlds series picks up pretty nearly where the last one left off. And I find that I still enjoy the characters in this novel just as much as I did in the other. While I occasionally want to hear more about this or that character, the pov swapping is generally handled very nicely, and it's a tight read.
Jon
Sep 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
A great follow-up to the first one. These books remind me of a shallower Weber, which is no bad thing. Don't get me wrong, there's depth here, and more than just "fly shoot kill", but it's not chapters and chapters of political maneuvering.
Knitress
Jul 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
This one passes my Iwannakeepreading test. I agree with Dunc and everyone else who have surmised that the series started as SW fanfic; but it goes in interesting and unexpected places while still being swashbuckling space opera. Can't wait to see what will happen next. . .
SarahBeth
Apr 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sff
This is one of the best series I've read ever. Ranks right up there with Lee and Miller's Liaden series. I have re-read them until my paperbacks have fallen apart, and just found them to download on my e-reader.
Li
Dec 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
I pretty much glommed all the first three Mageworld books in a single session, so I'll have to point you towards my thoughts on the first book, which really covered the trilogy as a whole.

Nancy
Jun 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi
Excellent. Fast paced and very exciting. All the characters we knew and loved from the first book are back and in it up to their ears, with new faces added to the mix.

Still not the biggest fan of Beka, but Jessan, Ari, Owen, Llanat, et. al. make up for it.
Melissa
Feb 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-own, r-sf, sequels
I liked this one a lot better than the previous one, I think partly because the plot centered less on revenge and more on to on saving the world.
O.M. Wills
Mar 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is when I said okay...I don't like Adepts I like Mages. But it was in my mind : )
Leela4
Jul 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People who want to read a more grown up Star Wars sort of book.
Reads fast, which is good, because it's half of a two-book epic. Can be characterized as "Star Wars for grown ups". Very forgiving of readers who don't want to read the military parts word for word.
Joy
Jul 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The stakes are raised for everyone involved in this second installment of the Mageworlds series. I'm really happy I took this ride. On to book three!
Peter
Grayson West
Feb 24, 2019
Jonathan
Nov 29, 2015

• Plan B (Liaden Universe, #11)
  • Fires of Nuala
  • The Better Part of Valor (Confederation, #2)
  • The Phoenix in Flight (Exordium, #1)
  • A Matter of Oaths
  • The Price of Ransom (Highroad, #3)
  • Miles Errant (Vorkosigan Omnibus, #4)
  • Bio Rescue (Bio Rescue, #1)
  • Rules of Engagement (The Serrano Legacy, #5)
  • Bitter Angels
  • Rules of Conflict (Jani Kilian Chronicles, #2)
  • Empire's End (Sten, #8)
  • Night Train to Rigel (Quadrail, #1)
aka Nicholas Adams (with James D. Macdonald), Martin Delrio, Robyn Tallis (with James D. Macdonald)

Debra Doyle has a doctorate in English literature. Together, she and James Macdonald have written numerous sf/f books. They live in Colebrook, New Hampshire.

Series:

* Robert Silverberg's Time Tours
* Daniel M Pinkwater's Melvinge of the Megaverse
* Gene Roddenberry's Earth: Final/>Series

Mageworlds (7 books)
  • The Price of the Stars (Mageworlds, #1)
  • By Honor Betray'd (Mageworlds, Book 3)
  • The Gathering Flame
  • The Long Hunt (Mageworlds)
  • The Stars Asunder: A New Novel of the Mageworlds