Start by marking “Emmeline Pankhurst” as Want to Read:

Emmeline Pankhurst

(Little People, Big Dreams)

New in the Little People, Big Dreams series, meet an inspiring women's rights activist who changed the world for future generations of women. As a child, Emmeline Pankhurst was shocked at the inequality of men and women that she saw all around her. When she grew up, she never stopped fighting for women to get the vote, inspiring other women to demonstrate, go on hunger str ...more
Published August 23rd 2017 by Frances Lincoln Publishers Ltd

To ask other readers questions about Emmeline Pankhurst, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Emmeline Pankhurst

Toni
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, children
When I was little, my mother said: 'You MUSTalways vote, women DIED for your right to vote'. Only later did I find out who these great women were who fought for the rights we often take for granted.
This is my second book of the series 'Little people, big dreams' and I found it both inspiring and engaging. The story of Emmeline Pankhurst's life is told in simple sentences, so it can be read to very young children. I also loved the artwork in this book. The page which tells the young reader about
Hilary
The illustrations for this book are lovely, the best I've seen in this series so far. This book does give you a basic view of Emmelines life. There is a line or two of text on each page. I think, as this series is aimed at young children they have had to leave out parts about hunger strikes and the incident with the kings horse. Through reading this series I've begun to think they should have aimed at a slightly older age range so they could have included some of the facts they have had to leave ...more
[Shai] Bibliophage
This is the second book that I've read from Lisbeth Kaiser's Little People, Big Dreams series. I never knew who Emmeline Pankhurst is, but because of this book, I learned a lot from this amazing and one of the notable women during the early 20th century in England.
Emmeline Pankhurst
I commend everyone for the publication of this book series because they are both informative and inspirational not only to the young readers but also to adult readers.
Jessi ♥️ H. Vojsk
This book series is a really great way to show kids what important people did in the past.
Emmeline Pankhurst fought for women rights and became a hero in the end.

The drawings were beautiful and the text was on point.
A great book!
Manybooks
Now if I had read Lisbeth Kaiser's Emmeline Pankhurst prior to having researched her (Emmeline Pankhurst's) life and work online, I probably would have indeed much more appreciated this picture book biography as a short but relevant introduction (touching on most of the important and essential tenets of Emmeline Pankhurst's life story and beliefs). However, considering that Emmeline Pankhurst, her important work, her dedicated striving to achieve women's suffrage, to achieve the right for Britis ...more
Elaine Mullane
I was aware of the series for a while but hadn't read any of them until I picked up Good Night Stories for Rebel Girls: 100 Tales of Extraordinary Women and was inspired by stories of important women around the world. I thought this book was a great place to start in the series, given the hugely influential woman it represents.

This is the story of British activist Emmeline Pankhurst, leader of the British suffragette movement who helped women win the right to vote. Pankhurst's work helped to sha
Emma
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A copy of this book was provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This series is always a joy to read, it’s a really nice introduction to well known people for little children. Of course the plot is always a little bit fast but that’s to be expected and it’s totally understandable.
This little book talks about the the suffragettes and their fight to get the vote for women and also other rights that were previously denied to them. I would have loved to read someth
Martina
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

The ‘My First Little People, Big Dreams’ series provides informative and inspirational biographies about people who left a mark on this earth, no matter what difficulties they have encountered.
These stories are very short, but that’s because they’re books for children, so it’s totally understandable.
I think they are a very smart and wonderful way to introduce little children to such important figure
Carmen
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"I'd rather be a rebel than a slave" said Emmeline Pankhurst in one of her discourse. It all came down to these two options for a woman at those times, it might seem a very distant past when we didn't have any rights and a group of "crazy" women gave their everything for the rest of us to get heard, to give us a voice ( why is it that the so called crazy ones are those who see clearer?) This is a delightful little book, a simple but beautiful way to keep Emmeline's memory for the youngest ones a ...more
Etienne
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another of those books about a great person who achieved something great, women right in that particular case. The book is good but it lacks the kind of real biography or chronological even at the end that most book in this collection have...
Carla Johnson-Hicks
I really like the Little People, Big Dreams series. This offering does not disappoint. This is the story of Emmeline Pankhurst from her childhood in Manchester, England to her becoming a founder and hero of the Women's Rights Movement. I enjoy reading about the childhood of these brave, talented dreamers and how it inspired them to do what they did in adulthood. We learn about what Emmeline had to deal with including prison in her journey. This is a child friendly biography with delightful illus ...more
Natasha
Lovely, and important addition to this series. I get these for my niece and we adore looking through them and learning about the lives of these incredible women.
Richard
A more familiar story for me growing up in the UK.
Emmeline Pankhurst did a great deal for women's sufferage and poorer families in industrial towns and cities. Born at a time when girls became wives first and mothers second she was inspired as a child and through her marriage to live and act differently.
As she was moved, this series, Little People, BIG DREAMS hopes that the young children listening to these stories will be equally aware of their own potential, to dream dreams and realise their p
Dora  (Swift Coffee Book Blog)
I've read 4 books of the Little People, Big Dreams series, and since they're very similar (thus I can only say the same things about them), I've reviewed them together:
These are exactly the books I would love to dive in with my kid (once I'll have one)! They're very short, with very simple and short text - well, they're picture books. It's definitely suitable for only very little kids, toddlers. In themselves, at least. I can imagine telling a more detailed story about Hawking, Parks, Fitzgerald
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love that this series exists. This is such a good way to introduce famous women to children of the picture book level. So far I have read this one as well as the one on Rosa Parks.

What is good about this series is the concepts are very simple. This one, for example, doesn't go into hunger strikes, and force feeding, and being thrown in prison. This just lays out Pankhurst's fight for voting rights for women in the UK.

Thanks to Netgalley for making this book available for an honest review.
Kristy K
I actually didn't know anything about Emmeline Pankhurst (or even who she was) prior to reading this children's book. It was informative- I thought it was the perfect amount of detail about women's suffrage for a child- and the drawings went well with the information.
Lel Budge
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Another charming addition to the Little people BIG DREAMS series.

This time it’s Emmeline Pankhurst and her fight for women’s rights and the Suffragette movement.

With a lovely flowing text and charming illustrations this will be loved by children and adults alike. Educational too and inspiring.
Kirsty
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: november-2017, kindle
The biographical information here feels rather too concise, and is written very simplistically. The illustrations though, with a charming vintage feel to them, are the triumph of the book.
Ruth Frampton
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
In the 100th year of women gaining the vote in the UK, this book is ideal for introducing young people to one of the leading names in that struggle. As a book in a school library or classroom, available for project work or a book borrowed from a library by an active parent, this book gives the background without being too over the top with the politics, allowing curious minds to question and discussions about equality and rights to follow.
Megan Schmelzer
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Open Book Reviews by Megan Schmelzer
www.openbookreviews.org

While wandering around Barnes and Noble, I stumbled across this awesome new board book series for babies and toddlers. The vibrant, yet simple, covers displaying historical women that I have grown up learning caught my eye, and it instantly drew me to pick up a few of these books off the shelves.

To be totally honest, I was so intrigued by these books that I ended up sitting right down in the aisle of the store to explore this new nonfic
Ben Truong
Emmeline Pankhurst is book in the Little People, Big Dreams series and is a children's picture book written by Lisbeth Kaiser and illustrated by Ana Sanfelippo. It is a cursory biography of Emmeline Pankhurst from her childhood in Manchester, England to her becoming an icon in the Women's Rights Movement.

March, at least in my part of the world is Women's History Month, which I plan to read one children's book, particularly a biography, which pertains to the subject everyday this month. Therefore
Myndi
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Emmeline Pankhurst is a name I recognized, but I didn’t know why. How could she be so famous that I knew her name, but nothing about who she was? Enter another edition of Little People, Big Dreams!

At this point, I’m certain you are tired of me saying this, but…I love this series! It’s a wonderful way for children to get essential information about historical figures. And while I have appreciated every edition, those that focus on women of historical significance are by and large my favorite bec
Wayne McCoy
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'Emmeline Pankhurst: My First Emmeline Pankhurst' by Lisbeth Kaiser with illustrations by Ana Sanfelippo is a board book adaptation of the life of a British suffragette.

Emmeline Pankhurst was born in England to a family that helped other people. She wanted to go to college or get a job, but her parents wouldn't let her. Instead, she fought to help women get the vote and the change the way things were.

I liked the illustrations by Ana Sanfelippo in this book. The colors are bright enough without d
Kaylee
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dr-smiths-class
This book was about Emmeline Pankhurst and her journey for woman's rights to vote. this book starts off by explaining the "problem" that she is facing. that woman are not treated fairly and are viewed as "lessser" people then men. it goes through her journey of hardships that she has to face for getting woman the right to vote and all the work that she has to put in to be able to do that.

I liked this book for many reasons. one it was a story that i have never heard before in this kind of way. a
Katja
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is another book in the ”My first ____” series, which is for younger readers than the ”Little people. Big dreams” series.
I adore these books, and I love how well the writing and the illustrations go together. Together they tell the story of a famous person’s life, and what they overcame to reach their goals and dreams.
This book tells the story of Emmeline Pankhurst.
In this book, we hear about suffragists and the fight for women’s rights. It is perfect to open up the conversation about righ
Paul
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Brief biography of British suffrage activist Pankhurst, written by Kaiser and illustrated by Ana Sanfelipo. The series as a whole offers creative, simple, and inspiring examples of women in their professions. While the writers and illustrators vary from one title to the next, there is also a common tone and visual style. Each volume wraps up with a two-page biographical sketch with photos. And the inside front and back covers are designed with a different repeating pattern, this one small purple ...more
winda
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a big fans of 'little people, BIG DREAMS' series.
the illustrations perfectly captured beautiful stories.

Emmeline's suffragette not only fights for women's voting rights but also took responsibility to help country during worldwar. They proved that women also capable as men at works.

After read this book, i knew how long fight and endeavour to pursue the right to vote for women. The rights that I take for granted.
Alyssa Foll
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm sorry to say that I did not know much about Emmeline Pankhurst until I watched the movie "Suffragette" with Carey Mulligan. The movie features the women's suffrage movement in Britain and Emmeline Pankhurst was instrumental in that movement. I was delighted to see a children's book written about her life and experiences.
The text is inspiring and the illustrations are beautiful; highly recommended.
Paul Franco
Mar 16, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
This lady is not as famous as most in this series. I didn’t know who she was, and it takes to about halfway through the book to be told she was a suffragette.
“Deeds, not words.” One of my favorite sayings.
This one’s a little better than some of the recent ones, but still light on facts and structure. A return to the style and substance of the first few volumes would be welcome.
Tesha Ham
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I adore the books from this collection! The art is beautiful, and the lives of these influential figures are condensed in a kid-friendly way. They are fun to read and teach children about some amazing role models that made huge impacts on our lives.

I voluntarily read and received a free ARC copy of this title through NetGalley in exchange for a review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Agatha Christie (Pequeña & GRANDE, #5)
  • Alabama Spitfire: The Story of Harper Lee and To Kill a Mockingbird
  • Be the Change: A Grandfather Gandhi Story
  • The Hole Story of the Doughnut
  • Joan Procter, Dragon Doctor: The Woman Who Loved Reptiles
  • Hidden Figures: The True Story of Four Black Women and the Space Race

Little People, Big Dreams (1 - 10 of 42 books)
  • Coco Chanel (Little People, Big Dreams, #1)
  • Frida Kahlo (Little People, Big Dreams, #2)
  • Audrey Hepburn (Pequeña & GRANDE, #3)
  • Agatha Christie (Pequeña & GRANDE, #5)
  • Marie Curie (Little People, Big Dreams, #6)
  • Ella Fitzgerald (Pequeña & GRANDE, #7)
  • Ada Lovelace (Little People, Big Dreams, #10)
  • Jane Austen (Pequeña & GRANDE, #11)
  • Georgia O'Keeffe (Pequeña & Grande, #12)
  • Amelia Earhart