Start by marking “NOS4R2” as Want to Read:
NOS4R2

NOS4R2

(NOS4A2)

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  108,008 ratings  ·  12,332 reviews
Librarian's note: This is an Alternate Cover Edition for ISBN10: 0575130695 ISBN13: 9780575130692.

NOS4R2 is a spine-tingling novel of supernatural suspense from master of horror Joe Hill, the New York Times bestselling author of Heart-Shaped Box and Horns.

Victoria McQueen has a secret gift for finding things: a misplaced bracelet, a missing photograph, answers to unanswera
Published 2014 by Gollancz (first published April 30th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about NOS4R2, please sign up.
Shayla Gibson No, not really. There's no child molesting - the kidnapper honestly thinks he's helping the kids, but doing so by taking them to Christmasland erases …moreNo, not really. There's no child molesting - the kidnapper honestly thinks he's helping the kids, but doing so by taking them to Christmasland erases much of their emotional stability and empathy, and they turn into (eternally gleeful) monsters.
Fair warning though, there is sexual assault and rape of adults; though it's not really detailed, it is openly stated to have occurred.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Amber Barber
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  108,008 ratings  ·  12,332 reviews

Start your review of NOS4R2
Will Byrnes
Do You Fear What I Fear?

Christmas was one of the best things about being a kid. There is nothing quite like the anticipation leading up to Christmas morning. And even now, having achieved geezerhood, I am still a complete sucker for the big day. Every year a real tree, the lights, sorting through and selecting from the decades and decades of collected ornaments, the gifts, and hopefully a tree skirt free of cat vomit. I put on It’s a Wonderful Life, wife by my side, hopefully at least one of my
Wil Wheaton
Sep 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Joe Hill tells another wonderful story that is scary, disturbing, beautiful, sad, and surprisingly touching.

Read it all the way to the end. All the way.
Jeffrey Keeten
Oct 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
“Already, though, she understood the difference between being a child and being an adult. The difference is when someone says he can keep the bad things away, a child believes him.”

photo Charlie20Manx_zpswz3gfbro.jpg
Charles Talent Manx with his silver hammer.

Some people are born with bad wiring. Some people get caught in a whirlpool of one tragic circumstance after another that has a detrimental effect on their sanity. Some people are too fragile; some are too hard, and some accumulate so much baggage that their soul gets lo
Emily May
Jun 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, 2019
I liked this one - some parts of it more than others - but after having my eye on this book for over six years, I am disappointed that I didn't enjoy it more.

Like many, I finally picked up NOS4A2 (or NOS4R2) so I could read it before the new TV show comes out. The only thing I'd previously read by Joe Hill was the first volume of his Locke & Key graphic novels, but I'd heard over and over that this book reads just like a Stephen King book, so I was eager to give it a shot.

And it does. It's got S
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Reread this with wonderful friends at For Love Of A Book!

MY BLOG: Melissa Martin's Reading List

I CANT WAIT FOR THE AMC SHOW!!

Photo’s by Zach Dilgard/AMC

OH. MY. GOD!

This is NOT a sweet little Christmas story boys and girls. This is a book about the evil Charlie Manx who takes boys and girls to Christmasland to live forever and ever and ever.......

and Christmasland is not a place you want to be with your soul sucked dry.

Charles Manx cruises around in his 1938 Rolls Royce Wraith stealing children
Chelsea Humphrey
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chelsea by: Dennis
Well, that has to be a personal record on the fastest time I've finished a 700 page novel.

--------

Pleased to announce that this is our #scaredsuspensebookclub pick for December! If you’re wanting to read this before the show airs in 2019, come join us. ♥️ The discussions will be broken up as follows:

12/14: Prologue-Search Engine
12/28: Remainder of Novel

Please let me know if you’d like to be added to the Instagram reading group by leaving your handle in the comments. 🎄📚
Delee
I will not compare Stephen King's son to him...I will not compare Stephen King's son to him.....I will not...............compare....

Joe Hill deserves to be in a class all of his own. Don'tcha think?

photo 2de7aa48-11dd-4f24-abf0-43503d4199aa_zpsfefix3ns.jpg

I put off reading NOS4A2 for awhile. I read Heart-Shaped Box first... Which I really liked- but this...this was much better!!!

Sooooooooooooooo many friends said- "You have to read NOS4A2!!!!...Oh you haven't read NOS4A2???? What is wrong with you??? Why haven't read NOS4A2?? What are you stupid?" One
Debra
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I may never view Christmas songs the same way again. I don't know if I should thank Joe Hill for that or kick him in the knee!

What can I say? I loved it (by "It" I mean this book and not "It" which I also loved)!!! I liked Horns, I liked Heart shaped box and I do believe those two books were Joe Hill getting "warmed up" and NOS4A2 is him hitting his stride. I seriously could not put this book down. I found it to be interesting and captivating from cover to cover...and yes, I am on the "nice" lis
megs_bookrack
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
NOS4A2 is unique, dark and amusing.

There are quite a few references to King works, we stan. Additionally, there is great character development. Honestly, I find myself in complete awe of its incredible awesomeness.

Halfway through reading this the first time, I ordered a copy for my sister because I just needed to share it with someone.

This book toes the line between the world around us and the world we create within our minds. It's trippy.

Our villain, Charles Talent Manx III, is a vampire of s
megs_bookrack
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The most deliciously EVIL Christmas story ever penned!!! Making all my horrid holiday dreams come true!

I didn't think it was possible but, it happened.

I enjoyed NOS4A2 EVEN MORE the second time around.

I think the first time I read this, it was so intense, I was just racing through the pages to see what was going to happen next. I was literally anxious to know!

This time however, I could sit back and enjoy the finer details, as I knew how it was ultimately going to end.

Regardless of the fact tha
Susanne  Strong
5 Stars.

One of my top favorite books of all time (which should be obvious since I have now read the book twice and have listened to the audiobook once, narrated masterfully by Kate Mulgrew, as well).

A Creepy, Disturbing Thrill Ride, with a flawed, yet lovable heroine, NOS4A2 is Joe Hill at his best.

Victoria (Vic) McQueen is no ordinary girl. She has a bike and with it, she can travel across a bridge, which takes her through time and space, from one part of the country to the next, in mere seco
Anne

Charlie Manx is a vampire. But not really.
It's his car that sucks the life out of its victims and keeps him young.

description

And who does he suck the life out of? Well, little kids.
He kidnaps kids and takes them to this creepy as fuck place called Christmasland, where the kids act on their worst impulses. Why? Because on the way to Christmasland his car turns them into monsters.

description

And he does all that with the help of The Gaskmask Man, who's this crazy dude that likes to rape the Mommies. <--this w
Nataliya

People think I'm strange because I don't like Christmas. Well, this book did not cure me of this dislike in the slightest, nossir. Read it, and you'll understand.
"You can’t let facts get in the way of the truth."
I've also never been a fan of Christmas music. There's something just *off* in that fake strained cheerfulness that emanates from it. After this book, I dislike it even more because the annoying in it has been joined by the sinister undertones.
Also, the dislike *may* have something t
Always Pouting
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think the books hardest to get into are the horror ones because it's really a thin line between something being scary and it becoming funny and not believable so I really have to give credit to Hill because even though the book was long he kept me engaged the whole time and even though the concept easily could've turned ridiculous he managed to keep it creepy, like every time Charles Manx was doing something I can't even explain the anxiety and anger I felt especially when the book was at its ...more
Johann (jobis89)
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
“Gold don’t come off. What’s good stays good no matter how much of a beating it takes.”

Vic McQueen has a special gift for finding lost things. All she has to do is jump on her bike and the Shorter Way Bridge will guide her to whatever she is looking for. Until one day she finds trouble in the form of Charlie Manx - a vampiric old man who feeds on the souls of children.

I have this terrible habit where if I don’t read Joe Hill for a prolonged period of time I forget how amazing Joe Hill is and the
Dan Schwent
Feb 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, 2013
Felicia
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄

“Charles Talent Manx the Third at your service, my dear! CEO of Christmasland Enterprises, director of Christmasland Entertainment, president of fun! Also His Eminence, the King Shit of Turd Hill, although it doesn’t say that on my card.”

I LOVED MANX! I know he's supposed to be the villain in this story but he thinks he's a good guy so surely that redeems him in some way ? No? He definitely goes down as one of my favoritest bad guys.

I've read a number of Hill's books and found them to
Beata
Dec 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first ever book by Joe Hill, read at last, and I admit I did enjoy it. I do not open horror books too often, but had been intrigued by this one for several years. Stefan's review pushed me towards it and no regrets here. It is not the scariest horror I have ever read but it kept me interested. Kate Mulgrew does a terrific job as the narrator and the fourth star goes to her. ...more
Kemper
May 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a little girl Victoria McQueen has a magical talent for finding things. While riding her bike and focusing on what she’s looking for, Vic can conjure up an old wooden bridge that she can cross and be at the spot where the lost object is. Vic mainly uses her powers to distract herself from the constant fighting of her parents, and she eventually meets an eccentric librarian named Maggie with her own supernatural power who explains that Vic is tapping into imagination itself and plowing tunnels ...more
Justin Tate
Dec 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I don't want to waste too much time drawing comparisons between Joe Hill and his dad (Stephen King) he wrote this novel in a way where it's almost impossible to not at least bring it up. The book is essentially a mash-up of Christine, IT and The Gunslinger/Drawing of the Three, with a melting pot of other minor allusions. That said, it stands on its own and only true SK scholars will notice all the references. In a way, that's part of the fun.

As for the writing, Joe must have been excel
Stepheny

Joe Hill should just change his name to Joe THE FUCKING MAN Hill. Anyone care to sign my petition? :D

When I read Heart Shaped Box I was a little underwhelmed. I felt that, while it was a great debut novel, it lost something crucial along the way. But when I read Horns something inside of me just got it. I could totally dig it. Some books have an effect on me that is just impossible to explain; I love it as if it were a part of me.

Going into NOS4A2 I was very nervous. It’s hard to LOVE a book
Chris McGrath
Joe Hill has described this 700+ page book as "my senior PhD thesis on horror", about a very bad 140 year old man who kidnaps children and takes them to a terrible place called Christmasland. This is an accurate surface description, but doesn't even come close to describing what this book is really about: the truest kind of love, which can come from even the most flawed human beings.

Yes, this is a horror novel, no question, and it's one of the best I've ever read. As with Hill's other novels, th
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
5.0 Stars - Re-read Review
I love this book even more every time I read it and it has definitely become one of my favourite horror novels. I highly recommend the audiobook because the narration really adds to the reading experience. The story is action packed so, despite the length, I devour this book every time I read it. This is such a perfect holiday horror read.
Sadie Hartmann
Dec 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: king
Oh boy, where to start. I believe I need to start with Joe Hill's daddy, Mr. Stephen King, my all-time favorite author forever and ever.
When I found out King's son was writing novels, I was skeptical. I decided I had enough *new* Stephen King to keep me fed.
But then I was at the library and I saw the cover for NOS4A2 and I thought, "Hmmm, what if?"
So I brought it home and I cracked it open and Oh. My. Gawd.
I was not prepared. *no spoilers*
So, I was totally sucked in and I wasn't entirely sure I
Matt
Nov 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, christmas
“He was hideous-old, not to mention hideous. His great bald skull was a globe mapping an alien moon, continents marked by liver sports and bruise-colored sarcomas. Of all the men in the long-term-care war – a.k.a. the Vegetable Patch – there was something particularly awful about Charlie Manx with his eyes open at this time of year. Manx liked children. He’d made dozens of them disappear back in the nineties. He had a house below the Flatirons where he did what he liked with them and killed them ...more
Edward Lorn
After I finish my King reread in October, (or, at the rate I'm going, well before) I will be rereading Hill's books.

Previous review: Yeah... I got nothing. Instant classic. The best book I have ever read. Nuff said.

I can do better than that, and I will. I will start by saying that I no longer consider it the best I've read, although it was the best book I had read at that point in my life (Summer 2013). As with anything else in life, a statement such as "BEST THING EVAR!!!" is purely subjective
Chris
Review? Wow..

Of course this book deserves a review. It deserves one of the highest order. But what can I write that will do Joe Hill and his wonderful book any justice?

I mean, really. My ability to rave on this awesome book is dwarfed by the sheer wordpower of Joe Hill. So, here we go.

This was cool.

Uhhhh...yeah. Cool. I liked it.

A lot.

See what I mean? I'm humbled.

Truth is, I'm stuck on knowing what to say that doesn't 1) suck, or 2) spoil. The first is a waste of everyone's time, and the second
Will M.
**I'm quite confused regarding the title of the novel. Most editions say NOS4A2 but this particular one that I own says NOS4R2? Is it one of those US and UK edition thing going on?

-----------
Out of all my goodreads friends, I'm part of the very few who didn't rate this more than 3 stars. So this review can be considered as an unpopular opinion. I think I'm the only one who thought that this was mediocre, but opinions vary. Not all novels are loved by everyone. I still don't know why I didn't en
Char
Oct 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

My only experience with Kate Mulgrew, prior to listening to this audio book, was in her role as Captain Janeway from Star Trek: Voyager. It's odd, looking back, that I almost never watched Voyager because Mulgrew's voice irritated the hell out of me. Needless to say, I got over it, and I became a big fan of Star Trek's first female captain.

I haven't seen or heard from Kate Mulgrew since the Voyager TV series ended. (I have some vague idea that she's on a new series "Orange is the New Black", bu
Stephanie *Eff your feelings*
May 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Stephanie *Eff your feelings* by: Kemper
Shelves: 2013, fantasy, horror
Victoria McQueen is a badass artist with a badass talent that goes beyond her artistic abilities. She has the ability to cross any distance with her 'shorter way' bridge to locate missing things.  The bridge comes into existence with the combination of her strong, creative mind and transportation, not just any transportation, but a vehicle that chooses her,
descriptiondescription
a Raleigh Tuff Burner in her youth and a Triumph motorcycle in adult years. It's magic, and all magic has it's price.

Victoria finds she's
Letras Macabras: NOS4A2, de Joe Hil 54 167 Jan 27, 2021 07:48PM
The Procrastinato...: This topic has been closed to new comments. NOS4A2 (October 2020) ~ Kylie & Katie & Rosina 36 42 Oct 15, 2020 07:30PM
Hear Me Out! Audi...: February 2020 NOS4A2 3 10 Mar 23, 2020 09:38AM

• The Shining
  • It
  • In the Tall Grass
  • Misery
Joe Hill's debut, Heart-Shaped Box, won the Bram Stoker Award for Best First Novel. His second, Horns, was made into a film freakfest starring Daniel Radcliffe. His other novels include NOS4A2, and his #1 New York Times Best-Seller, The Fireman... which was also the winner of a 2016 Goodreads Choice Award for Best Horror Novel.

He writes short stories too. Some of them were gathered together in

NOS4A2 (2 books)
  • Wraith

Articles featuring this book

"Horror fiction has traditionally dealt in taboo.… It makes monsters of household pets and begs our affection for psychos. It...
“She breathed deeply of the scent of decaying fiction, disintegrating history, and forgotten verse, and she observed for the first time that a room full of books smelled like dessert: a sweet snack made of figs, vanilla, glue, and cleverness.” 278 likes
“Was there any human urge more pitiful-or more intense- than wanting another chance at something?” 144 likes