Start by marking “Charmcaster (Spellslinger #3)” as Want to Read:
Charmcaster (Spellslinger #3)

Charmcaster

(Spellslinger #3)

The third book in the page-turning Spellslinger fantasy series.

'I was getting almost as good at running away from enemies as I was at making them in the first place. Turns out, I wasn't running nearly fast enough.'

Kellen has begun to master his spellslinging and the Argosi tricks for staying alive, and he and Reichis have found a career that suits them both: taking down m
Published May 17th 2018 by Hot Key Books (first published May 7th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Charmcaster, please sign up.
Sebastien Castell There are six books in total in the series, so three more after this one: Soulbinder, Queenslayer, and Crownbreaker. I can't reveal what happens in…moreThere are six books in total in the series, so three more after this one: Soulbinder, Queenslayer, and Crownbreaker. I can't reveal what happens in those books, other than to say that each one takes Kellen to new places with new forms of magic and intrigue, so he doesn't tend to return to old places.(less)
Sebastien Castell I do, indeed, have two cats. Both were feral rescues as kittens, and they still try to remind us of all their youthful hardships despite the fact that…moreI do, indeed, have two cats. Both were feral rescues as kittens, and they still try to remind us of all their youthful hardships despite the fact that they've lived in pretty much total luxury since then. Some of their behaviour definitely makes its way into Reichis's antics, though they have yet to actually try and consume one of my eyeballs.

Thanks for the question, and glad you're enjoying Reichis!(less)

Dreximgirl
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-releases, to-buy
I honestly cannot express how much I adore this series. The characters are so engaging and brilliant, the story is complex but so well written and I swear Reichis just gets more and more badass with every book. This book had me running the gauntlet of all emotions from laughing out loud to sobbing like a baby. We learn more about Ferius and Kellen grows so much - my heart is actually broken for him. I cannot wait to get my hands on the next one. Bless Sebastian de Castell for not making the wait ...more
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2018/09/27/...

Once more, we join our protagonists the exiled mage Kellen, his Argosi mentor Ferius, and the unhinged squirrel cat Reichis on a road trip to their next destination in this third installment of the Spellslinger series. Building upon the events of the first two books, Charmcaster takes us out of the desert and into the land of Gitabria, where our characters are hoping to track down and help the first of many victims targete
The Tattooed Book Geek (Drew).
As always this review can also be found on my blog The Tattooed Book Geek: https://thetattooedbookgeek.wordpress...

I won a copy of this book through Readers First.

Starting six months after the ending of the previous book, Shadowblack (which you really need to have read). Charmcaster finds Kellen, Reichis and Ferius traversing a desert on their way to Gitabria. However, as is often the case for Kellen and crew things aren’t going according to plan and they are running from a mage induced lightnin
GrilledCheeseSamurai
Sebastien de Castell did it again.

I flew through this. It only took me 3 sessions of a couple hours at a time. A perfect way to spend a couple of days off.
Paul
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Who'd have thought you could become so fond of a thieving, foul mouthed squirrel cat. To the point where theres a bit of dust in the corner of my eye (definitely not getting emotional!)
The series gets better edition to editiom and holds no punches.
And the ending is crazy
Shree143
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is by far the best work in this series.
I absolutely loved it and Sebastien de Castell just became one of my favorite author, right along with legends of this genre.
imyril
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another solid romp with Kellen and friends. I liked this a good deal more thanShadowblack - perhaps because Kellen was so distracted by matters in hand he had no time to be distracted by his hormones; perhaps for the return of key characters to make his life hell; perhaps for its emotional focus on friendship and family.

Expect more mayhem, more wonder and more Argosi.

Full review

I received a free copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Melissa
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's been awhile since I needed more pages to a book. I didn't realize I had come to the last page...I need book 4 now.
Patricia Crowther
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5*
Manon
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Again a solid 5-star read. Halfway through I wasn't completely sure about it, but then it got SO. GOOD. And intense. But mostly fricking good. Is it October yet?
Samm | Sassenach the Book Wizard
Dawww the squirrel cat is becoming more than just a dick! 🤣🤣🤣🤣 Freaking love this series and IT INCLUDED A DRAGON so automatically becomes cooler. Can't wait for Soulbinder to come out in a few months
 Charlie - A Reading Machine
It’s apt this book is called Charmcaster because it is the first book in the series to completely pull me in. The characters, who I once found contrary and confusing, have taken root in my head and my heart, the world has grown and blossomed becoming bigger than I imagined and the protagonist’s journey from a completely inept victim of circumstance to someone who has wrestled some control over his life is showing signs of being a fruitful one. I enjoyed the surprises and set ups in the Spellslin ...more
Olga Zbranek Biernátová
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Začátek byl úplně peckovní a Reichis je pořád topka. Čekala jsem, že mě ty jeho kecy o pojídání očních bulv a trhání uší už přestanou bavit, ale ne. Celkově to nebylo úplně epické, ale příběh je fajn – akce, nové postavy a tajemství. Kellen se dost posunul, líbí se mi jak postupně přidává nové triky a začíná být celkem badass, i když často tak trochu omylem.
Frank Miceli
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Review taken from www.centersquareblog.com

Book 3 of the Spellslinger Series has arrived and it is just beautiful to look at. This is book 3 of a
planned 6 book series. The covers of all three hardcover books in the series are fantastic! I know I keep saying it but there are times when I pick a book solely based on the cover. This would easily be one of those times. I do not think I could walk past this in a UK bookstore and have it not catch my eye.
Each book has brought the reader to a new land
Karoline Andrew
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this series so much, the way it's written just sounds like a person who loves and enjoys writing! This one was a real rollercoaster too! I can't wait for the next one and I will always recommend this series to everyone!
Mitriel
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I continue enjoying this series. Great characterisation, carefully plotted story-lines, rich imagination -it’s ticking all the right boxes.
Atlas
Jun 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, arc-s
"Let the meanderings of other lives pass you by, kid"

* * *
3 / 5

Charmcaster is the third book in the Spellslinger series. I thought it was an improvement on Shadowblack, but not as good as Spellslinger. Like Shadowblack, Charmcaster has an episodic feel to it which was fun, and I loved the slow development of Kellen's character and the introduction of more Argosi.

words only let you describe the details of things, but not the deeper truths behind them

Kellen, Reichis, and Ferius Parfax are travers
Rebecka
Charmcaster by Sebastien de Castell is the third book in his Spellslinger series of young adult fantasy novels. As such, this review will likely contain spoilers for the previous two books, Spellslinger, and Shadowblack. As with these, Charmcaster follows Kellen, a Jan’Tep spellslinger, cast out by his people, with a price on his head. It is narrated in first person, entirely from his perspective. As such, we get to learn how he sees the world, himself, and the people he cares about.

Charmcaster
Olga
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, digital
4.5*
Sean
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
This was such a good read.3rd in the series that has had me hooked from the beginning.
I know it is primarily for YA readers,but who cares,it is brilliant.
Thoroughly entertaining and exhilarating read that keeps you looking for more.

Now onto book 4.
Kimberley
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book!!!! I have been really enjoying this series and it just keeps getting better! I was crying at at least 3 different parts of the story. Just BAM Out of nowhere I had all the feels! Honestly just great! I can't wait for the next one!
Colin Hardy
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The author's writing does not stumble; from the opening to its conclusion, this is a rollickingly good read. At the end of each book, the reader is left wanting more. There are twists and turns galore; the only one that was obvious was the identity of the red mage, but I can live with one slip. The writing style remains very tight with a highly structured plot that migrates seamlessly from one event to the next. The strong characterization is at the core of the writing, what becomes noticeable i ...more
Markéta
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fajn, tohle byla zatím nejlepší kniha v sérii.
Konečně se to pořádně rozjíždí, v sázce je víc, než kdy předtím, a z toho Kellena ještě vyroste něco hodně zajímavého.
Pamatujete na Nephenii? Tu holku ze Spellslingera, která nakonec skončila jen jako dívka, která na konci políbila statečného hrdinu? Neph je zpátky a boi, tohle jsem nečekala. Ten název, Charmcaster? Tipněte si, kdo to asi je. (Doufám, že to není spoiler, dozvíte se to hned na začátku.)
Kellen, Ferius a Reichis se tedy společně s Nephe
A.S. James
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, ya
9.3/10

I've said it before in my reviews and I'll say it again, I read for enjoyment.
When I pick up a book primarily I want to be entertained.
And DAMN are these books entertaining. Fast paced and action packed with great characters and humour sprinkled throughout. I've enjoyed each one.

BUT in this third book did I really feel the emotions, maybe through spending more and more time with the characters maybe I'm stone hearted and it's taken this long to break through my defences.
I'm just glad it ha
Leonie Byrne
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Thank you to Netgalley, Sebastien De Castell and Bonnie Zaffre for my arc of Charmcaster.

Publication Date: 17th May 2018

Oh how happy I am to be back in the world of Kellen, Ferius and Reichis! I stumbled upon this series last year when the first book Spellslinger was on offer in Asda. I've been hooked ever since. I'm so glad Charmcaster ended the way it does as it guarantees there will be another book in this series and I can't wait! Plus the covers look beautiful so even though I read the 2nd
Candice
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 stars don’t even do this justice.
I love this series by far all time my favourite.

I can’t do anything but blubber and gush over this one!

I love the characters and this book left me hurting and smiling and desperate for more!!

Genius!!
Marianne
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely stunned! So many twists and turns.

What a great contribution to such an AMAZING SERIES! Really loved this book!!!

Cannot wait for the next one. I NEED MORE!!!!

A better review to follow...cannot articulate my thoughts properly.🤔
Kayleigh Brindley
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Whilst I enjoyed the first two books in this series, Charmcaster was brilliant and, in my opinion, the best book in the series so far. I absolutely loved it. It completely tackled the slight issue that I had with the previous two books in that the pacing at the beginning of those felt a little slow. I did not have the same problem here, the pacing was fantastic throughout.

This book launches with a fantastic action scene that fully immersed me in the story from the moment I started reading. I lo
Jay  The Crippled God
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I question myself on where to start my review with this amazing jewel of a book. I believe I am biased since Seb is my 2nd Fav author of all times!

We walk alongside Kellen in discovering his own path, filled with adventures, fun moments and sorrows. witty battles and tricks. All of that and a journey filled with awesome friends like Rikus the squirl-cat and Ferios, Kellen's -believe it or not- mentor! teaching him tricks and the way of walking one's path.

I don't think of this as a review since a
David Harris
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the third in de Castell's Spellslinger series, following the adventures of runaway mage Kellen. If you haven't read the earlier books yet you definitely should - read on to see why! (I've tried to avoid spoilers here for the earlier books).

Kellen is a credible and engaging protagonist. He's had to flee his home and leave his family (albeit after they treated him appallingly). He is struggling with what he believes to be a full blown curse. He's not all-powerful, he has been wounded and l
Hi Folks!

My eighth novel, SOULBINDER is in stores in the UK & Australia, coming soon to North America.

You can get a pair of free stories here.

The best way to stay up to date is at www.decastell.com, but I'm also on that Facebook thing. Also that Twitter thing. One day I'll even remember to get on that Instagram thing.

As to who I am? Well . . .

Sebastien de Castell had just finished a degree i

Spellslinger (6 books)
  • Spellslinger (Spellslinger #1)
  • Shadowblack (Spellslinger #2)
  • Soulbinder (Spellslinger 4)
  • Queenslayer
  • Crownbreaker (Spellslinger #6)
“Jealousy. Smells like regret only more bitter.” 0 likes
“Dwelling on all the bad things that didn’t even come to pass only makes it harder to celebrate that fact. Stop being so scared about yesterday—it only makes you forget to appreciate today.” 0 likes