Start by marking “Charmcaster (Spellslinger #3)” as Want to Read:
Charmcaster (Spellslinger #3)

Charmcaster

(Spellslinger #3)

The third book in the page-turning Spellslinger fantasy series.

'I was getting almost as good at running away from enemies as I was at making them in the first place. Turns out, I wasn't running nearly fast enough.'

Kellen has begun to master his spellslinging and the Argosi tricks for staying alive, and he and Reichis have found a career that suits them both: taking down m
Published May 17th 2018 by Hot Key Books (first published May 7th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Charmcaster, please sign up.
Sebastien Castell There are six books in total in the series, so three more after this one: Soulbinder, Queenslayer, and Crownbreaker. I can't reveal what happens in th…moreThere are six books in total in the series, so three more after this one: Soulbinder, Queenslayer, and Crownbreaker. I can't reveal what happens in those books, other than to say that each one takes Kellen to new places with new forms of magic and intrigue, so he doesn't tend to return to old places.(less)
Sebastien Castell I do, indeed, have two cats. Both were feral rescues as kittens, and they still try to remind us of all their youthful hardships despite the fact that…moreI do, indeed, have two cats. Both were feral rescues as kittens, and they still try to remind us of all their youthful hardships despite the fact that they've lived in pretty much total luxury since then. Some of their behaviour definitely makes its way into Reichis's antics, though they have yet to actually try and consume one of my eyeballs.

Thanks for the question, and glad you're enjoying Reichis!(less)

Start your review of Charmcaster (Spellslinger #3)
Hamad
This Review ✍️ Blog 📖 Twitter 🐦 Instagram 📷

Spellslinger ★★★ 1/2
The Dowager Magus ★★★★
Shadowblack ★★★
Charmcaster ★★★ 1/2

I have a weird relation with this series, the books have not been as amazing as I thought they would be. But there is an addicting quality to them. I find myself remembering the
Holly (Holly Hearts Books)
Personal rating: 4.5
Kellen's character development in this installment is so strong. My boiiiii
Also this is by far my favorite in the series so far!
Dreximgirl
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I honestly cannot express how much I adore this series. The characters are so engaging and brilliant, the story is complex but so well written and I swear Reichis just gets more and more badass with every book. This book had me running the gauntlet of all emotions from laughing out loud to sobbing like a baby. We learn more about Ferius and Kellen grows so much - my heart is actually broken for him. I cannot wait to get my hands on the next one. Bless Sebastian de Castell for not making the wait ...more
Bradley
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-shelf, fantasy
This third book falls under the *fun* category. Okay at first, episodic, action-filled, with quirky dialogue, but it really picks up later when the stakes get a lot higher.

I really like the magic system in these books and figuring out the meanings of the cards is pretty delightful. Heroes journey and all. It's always good. Especially when you're the most horrible traitor to your own people and all. :) We learn a lot more about his particular kind of magical skills, too, but the focus is mostly
Emma
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, magic, fantasy
I adore this series!
The Tattooed Book Geek (Drew).
As always this review can also be found on my blog The Tattooed Book Geek: https://thetattooedbookgeek.wordpress...

I won a copy of this book through Readers First.

Starting six months after the ending of the previous book, Shadowblack (which you really need to have read). Charmcaster finds Kellen, Reichis and Ferius traversing a desert on their way to Gitabria. However, as is often the case for Kellen and crew things aren’t going according to plan and they are running from a mage induced lightnin
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2018/09/27/...

Once more, we join our protagonists the exiled mage Kellen, his Argosi mentor Ferius, and the unhinged squirrel cat Reichis on a road trip to their next destination in this third installment of the Spellslinger series. Building upon the events of the first two books, Charmcaster takes us out of the desert and into the land of Gitabria, where our characters are hoping to track down and help the first of many victims targete
Paul
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Who'd have thought you could become so fond of a thieving, foul mouthed squirrel cat. To the point where theres a bit of dust in the corner of my eye (definitely not getting emotional!)
The series gets better edition to editiom and holds no punches.
And the ending is crazy
GrilledCheeseSamurai (Scott)
Sebastien de Castell did it again.

I flew through this. It only took me 3 sessions of a couple hours at a time. A perfect way to spend a couple of days off.
Andrea
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
3.5 stars rounded up for Reichis:

"I don't even know where I'm going, but I know it's going to be someplace bad. I can't-" "You reckon there's going to be danger?" he asked. "Definitely." "Dark and powerful mages?" "Probably." "Maybe even a few demons? Because I haven't murdered any demons yet, and I really think it's time I gave it a try, don't you?"

Shree143
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is by far the best work in this series.
I absolutely loved it and Sebastien de Castell just became one of my favorite author, right along with legends of this genre.
Atlas
Jun 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, arc-s
"Let the meanderings of other lives pass you by, kid"

* * *
3 / 5

Charmcaster is the third book in the Spellslinger series. I thought it was an improvement on Shadowblack, but not as good as Spellslinger. Like Shadowblack, Charmcaster has an episodic feel to it which was fun, and I loved the slow development of Kellen's character and the introduction of more Argosi.

words only let you describe the details of things, but not the deeper truths behind them

Kellen, Reichis, and Ferius Parfax are travers
imyril
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another solid romp with Kellen and friends. I liked this a good deal more thanShadowblack - perhaps because Kellen was so distracted by matters in hand he had no time to be distracted by his hormones; perhaps for the return of key characters to make his life hell; perhaps for its emotional focus on friendship and family.

Expect more mayhem, more wonder and more Argosi.

Full review

I received a free copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Melissa
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's been awhile since I needed more pages to a book. I didn't realize I had come to the last page...I need book 4 now.
Bart
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actual rating: 4.00
Manon
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Again a solid 5-star read. Halfway through I wasn't completely sure about it, but then it got SO. GOOD. And intense. But mostly fricking good. Is it October yet?
Emily
Oct 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy

I'm not sure why I keep reading these books except they are short and easy to get through. Well actually, I keep reading because I adore Reichis. It's not that the story is bad, it's just that it has so many flaws that get me distracted....

1. everyone keeps getting the shit beat out of them constantly, and then an hour later they're all running around fine. At one point a character is beaten so badly that "one more hit will rupture her kidney and kill her" and then a few hours later she's hangin
Samm | Sassenach the Book Wizard
Dawww the squirrel cat is becoming more than just a dick! 🤣🤣🤣🤣 Freaking love this series and IT INCLUDED A DRAGON so automatically becomes cooler. Can't wait for Soulbinder to come out in a few months
Sean
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
This was such a good read.3rd in the series that has had me hooked from the beginning.
I know it is primarily for YA readers,but who cares,it is brilliant.
Thoroughly entertaining and exhilarating read that keeps you looking for more.

Now onto book 4.
Mitriel
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I continue enjoying this series. Great characterisation, carefully plotted story-lines, rich imagination -it’s ticking all the right boxes.
Jude (NovelReader13)
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, fantasy
This is quickly becoming one of my favourite book series of all time. I absolutely loved Charmcaster! This book felt a lot darker than the previous two, but it still managed to retain all of the humour that made me fall in love with the story in the first place.

In true Spellslinger fashion, this was a rollercoaster of emotions. It's anxiety inducing, enraging, funny, heartwarming, heartbreaking, and completely enthralling!

Charmcaster packed an emotional punch that I wasn't ready for, and which,
Jon Adams
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
400 page book in two days whilst working and stuff? I'd say it was pretty great.
Frank Miceli
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Review taken from www.centersquareblog.com

Book 3 of the Spellslinger Series has arrived and it is just beautiful to look at. This is book 3 of a
planned 6 book series. The covers of all three hardcover books in the series are fantastic! I know I keep saying it but there are times when I pick a book solely based on the cover. This would easily be one of those times. I do not think I could walk past this in a UK bookstore and have it not catch my eye.
Each book has brought the reader to a new land
Karoline Andrew
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this series so much, the way it's written just sounds like a person who loves and enjoys writing! This one was a real rollercoaster too! I can't wait for the next one and I will always recommend this series to everyone!
 Charlie - A Reading Machine
It’s apt this book is called Charmcaster because it is the first book in the series to completely pull me in. The characters, who I once found contrary and confusing, have taken root in my head and my heart, the world has grown and blossomed becoming bigger than I imagined and the protagonist’s journey from a completely inept victim of circumstance to someone who has wrestled some control over his life is showing signs of being a fruitful one. I enjoyed the surprises and set ups in the Spellslin ...more
Rebecka O'Malley
Charmcaster by Sebastien de Castell is the third book in his Spellslinger series of young adult fantasy novels. As such, this review will likely contain spoilers for the previous two books, Spellslinger, and Shadowblack. As with these, Charmcaster follows Kellen, a Jan’Tep spellslinger, cast out by his people, with a price on his head. It is narrated in first person, entirely from his perspective. As such, we get to learn how he sees the world, himself, and the people he cares about.

Charmcaster
Blodeuedd Finland
I shall manage to make a review short! I shall!

Kellen is still running from his country and the price on his head. He meets an old friend. He goes with Ferius to a new country. They are still following the lead from the bad guys in the previous books.

More books are coming and to be honest, I want to know about the shadowblack! Is he gonna go bad? I wish we would get more about that.

Still they are light, amusing and short. Win win.

Conclusion:

Fun YA fantasy in an interesting world
Muzmuz
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2019-books
Just READ IT

What do I say, what do I say... my dear dear Author has outdone himself again... the story turns wilder at each turn... old enemies come back, new enemies emerge... and hurtful decisions has to be made 😭
Ioana Maria
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite series ever!! Can this get any better? I think yes!! I can't even begin to describe how much I loved this book, I couldn't stop reading and this is what I love about it. Whenever I start a book from Sebastien de Castell I lose myself inside the story.
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Charmcaster [July 19, 2019] 68 45 Jul 29, 2019 03:03PM
Does Cressia appear also in 'The Greatcoats' Series? 1 7 Jan 08, 2019 03:13AM

• Cold Iron (Masters & Mages, #1)
  • Bright Steel (Masters & Mages, #3)
  • Dark Forge (Masters & Mages, #2)
  • King of Assassins (The Wounded Kingdom, #3)
  • Blood Tally (Valkyrie Collections, #2)
  • Blood of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder, #3)
  • Blood of Assassins (The Wounded Kingdom #2)
  • The Light of All That Falls (The Licanius Trilogy, #3)
  • Holy Sister (Book of the Ancestor, #3)
  • Age of Assassins (The Wounded Kingdom, #1)
  • Ravencry (Raven's Mark #2)
  • Crowfall (Raven's Mark, #3)
  • A Time of Courage (Of Blood and Bone, #3)
  • Priest of Bones (War for the Rose Throne, #1)
  • The Black Hawks (Articles of Faith, #1)
  • A Time of Blood (Of Blood and Bone, #2)
  • Wrath of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder, #2)
Hi Folks!

My tenth novel, CROWNBREAKER is in stores in around the world.

You can get a pair of free stories here.

The best way to stay up to date is at www.decastell.com, but I'm also on that Facebook thing. Also that Twitter thing. One day I'll even remember to get on that Instagram thing.

As to who I am? Well . . .

Sebastien de Castell had just finished a degree in Archaeology when he started work

Spellslinger (6 books)
  • Spellslinger (Spellslinger, #1)
  • Shadowblack (Spellslinger #2)
  • Soulbinder (Spellslinger, #4)
  • Queenslayer (Spellslinger #5)
  • Crownbreaker (Spellslinger, #6)

News & Interviews

“Dwelling on all the bad things that didn’t even come to pass only makes it harder to celebrate that fact. Stop being so scared about yesterday—it only makes you forget to appreciate today.” 4 likes
“You are not my business partner,' Nephenia told Ishak. 'You're my familiar. It's an ancient and time-honoured pairing of two souls, not some shallow business transaction.'
The hyena yapped at her for several seconds, then Nephenia punched me in the arm. 'Ow! What was that for?'
'For letting your squirrel cat introduce these ruinous ideas into my familiar's head about "partnerships" and "equitable relationships". Do you realise Ishak's now telling me he wants us to work out a formal contract?'
'Wait until she hears about the clause on freshly killed meat,' Reichis whispered into my ear.”
3 likes