Start by marking “My Plain Jane (The Lady Janies, #2)” as Want to Read:
My Plain Jane (The Lady Janies, #2)

My Plain Jane

(The Lady Janies #2)

3.80  ·  Rating details ·  10,806 ratings  ·  2,837 reviews
You may think you know the story. After a miserable childhood, penniless orphan Jane Eyre embarks on a new life as a governess at Thornfield Hall. There, she meets one dark, brooding Mr. Rochester. Despite their significant age gap (!) and his uneven temper (!!), they fall in love—and, Reader, she marries him. (!!!)

Or does she?

Prepare for an adventure of Gothic proportions
Published June 26th 2018 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about My Plain Jane, please sign up.
TheQuixoticBookWorm I would brush up on the cliffs notes of Jane Eyre, so you're a little more familiar with the story and the expected path and outcome of it all. I…moreI would brush up on the cliffs notes of Jane Eyre, so you're a little more familiar with the story and the expected path and outcome of it all. I think you'll enjoy the liberties they've taken with the story more, if you know where the roots of the inspiration were based.(less)
The Cruel Prince by Holly BlackWar Storm by Victoria AveyardQueen of Air and Darkness by Cassandra ClareA Reaper at the Gates by Sabaa TahirObsidio by Amie Kaufman
YA Novels of 2018
1,040 books — 5,376 voters
Kingdom of Ash by Sarah J. MaasA Court of Frost and Starlight by Sarah J. MaasQueen of Air and Darkness by Cassandra ClareWar Storm by Victoria AveyardThe Cruel Prince by Holly Black
Can't Wait Books of 2018
1,295 books — 4,756 voters

More lists with this book...

·  10,806 ratings  ·  2,837 reviews

Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
This was everything I had wanted and so much more. I’ll be devastated if this series doesn’t go on forever because the Lady Janies truly belong together! I loved “My Lady Jane” SO much that when I got an ARC of this I knew I had to read it asap! I’m so excited for you all to read it in June when it comes out. It’s a long wait, but believe me it’s worth it! I’m just sad I now have to wait until 2020 for the next one!
Regan
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5! So fun!
Emily May
I really wanted to love this. So badly. My Lady Jane was so so much fun when I read it last year, but I just felt like both the humour and the story were pretty bland in this book. I felt like the previous book was a hilarious historical comedy; this one was a meh Jane Eyre retelling.

I don't think it worked as well when the authors switched from a funny retelling of history to a not-so-funny retelling of a well-known book. Jane Eyre is easily one of my favourite books of all time and My Plain Ja
Korrina  (OwlCrate)
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very fun book! The authors took elements of the story of Jane Eyre and managed to turn it into a ghost hunting mystery adventure. It very much felt like a mix between a classic romance novel and Ghostbusters, and it was just a lot of fun to read. And I can safely say that even if you have never read Jane Eyre (as I haven’t), you can still wholeheartedly enjoy this book. Oddly enough, I think my favourite character was actually Charlotte (Charlotte Brontë), but the entire book is filled with a gr ...more
Jodi Meadows
Nov 06, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: books-i-wrote
Some notes:

1. You don't have to read MY LADY JANE first in order to enjoy this one. The books are connected only by the authors and the first and last words in the titles. And the look of the cover. And the amount of fun we had writing the books. And the amount of chocolate we ate. But other than that, totally different books!
2. You also don't need to have read JANE EYRE to enjoy this book. As with MLJ and knowing Jane Grey's history, we've got you covered in the prologue.
3. That said, I certai
Katerina
Oh boy, this is going to be awkward.

Disclaimer: I loved My Lady Jane. Every time I think of this marvel of a book a huge grin takes over my face. And, partially, that's the reason I may be too harsh on My Plain Jane (well this and my slow but steady transformation to a judgy old lady that is too difficult to please). I really wanted to love it. I expected to love it. I'm afraid, though, that My Plain Jane was exactly what the title promised. Plain.

“Northern England, 1834, and the aforementio
Sabrina
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it

“She took a shuddering breath. Crying, she told herself sternly, does not indicate that you are weak. Since birth, it has always been a sign that you are alive.”

4.5 bloody amazing stars.

I loved the first book and I loved this one.

“And if you find another suitable position, and leave me, you will pull it out. And I will bleed.”
“What do you mean?” Jane said.
“It sounds rather obvious, and slightly disgusting,” Helen said. “He’ll bleed.”

~~ I just loved this part *lol.

💫if you like the first
megs_bookrack
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A rollicking, 'spirited' good time!

((see what I did there?))

My Plain Jane is the second novel released by The Lady Janies (Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton & Jodi Meadows). As with their first collaboration, My Plain Jane this book is full of good humor, fantastical storylines and replete with pop culture references.

Dubbed as Jane Eyre meets the Ghostbusters, this story provides a wacky and fun retelling of the classic with lots of supernatural twists!

I was picking up a strong Scooby-Doo vibes
Nenia ✨ Literary Garbage Can ✨ Campbell
I'VE BEEN WAITING TO USE THIS MEME IN CONTEXT FOR YEARS

...Wat? Tell me I'm not the only one who hoards weird memes and gifs and waits for proper context...
Joshee Kun (조수아)
For everyone who's ever fallen for the wrong person, even though we agree that Mr. Darcy looks good on paper...and in a wet shirt.

I absolutely loved My Lady Jane when I read it two years ago. In fact, it was my favorite novel of 2016. Hence, I had nothing but high expectations before delving into My Plain Jane. In totality, it was a very entertaining novel although I wasn't familiar with the story of Jane Eyre. Still, I couldn't give it five stars because it was compared to My Lady Jane, it was
Fables&Wren
Apr 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
Few things: I got behind on my reading schedule due to a family thing and some unplanned buddy reads. I am LIVING FOR THIS BOOK, but it is taking me a while due to reading a little more than six books at a time and some with other people. So, therefore, know that I am so sad that it is taking me so long to read this book but also really happy I get to read it at a slower pace and stretch it out and enjoy it more. I am really getting My Lady Jane vibes with the humor and the paranormal part of ii ...more
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
1.) My Lady Jane ★★★★
2.) My Plain Jane ★★★★.5

--------------------------------------------------

MY JANE EYRE LOVING HEART IS SINGING
Celeste
For this and more of my reviews, as well as my friend Petrik's reviews, check out my new blog, Novel Notions.

I loved this book so much.

Seriously. So. MUCH.

There aren’t enough comedic novels out there that don’t edge irritatingly into silly. This book, and the preceding book, are two of the funniest things I’ve ever read. They don’t take themselves too seriously, but the humor doesn’t overwhelm the plot. Both have made me laugh out loud with their pop culture references and plethora of awkward m
Natalie Monroe
“This brings us to the real start of our story: northern England, 1834, and the aforementioned penniless, orphaned girl. And a writer. And a boy with a vendetta.

Let’s start with the girl.

Her name was Jane.”

I'm currently doing an MPhil in English Literature and Jane Eyre is one of the books I'm examining. What this means is I know every freaking inch of the novel. I know what scholars have said, I know the dirty racist and imperialist undertones, I know critical interpretations of barely the
Wendy Darling
Yesssssssssssss. *hisses enthusiastically*

A favorite classic, a favorite heroine, and a favorite YA author in Cynthia Hand. I'm going to aggressively hug this book when I get my hands on it.
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
This was so much fun! I didn’t like it quite as much as I expected to, but it was still such an enjoyable read and I am v happy to have read it! Also the HP reference slayed me
Tweebs♥️ (hiatus)
Oct 14, 2017 marked it as to-read
HEY YOU

YEAH YOU

whoever is reading this review is automatically required to buy me this book. If you don't do this then you will have 63 years of bad luck.

For shipping details, feel free to contact me 😊😊😊
Yusra  ✨
May 02, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: arc
i should probably not expose myself like this but.... I had an ARC and forgot all about it, and still haven't read the book.

and then I ask myself why my edelweiss requests are never accepted lmaoooooo
The Girl Murdered by Her TBR
2.75 stars!!!

ARC generously provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. Thank you Harpercollins!

Arc #3

I read My Lady Jane back in January and I absolutely loved it. I gave that book a 4.75 rating. I fell in love with the story and characters, but this book really gave me a hard time. I considered giving this book 2 stars but something (or should I say someone) stopped me.

First of, I'm going to pinpoint the things I liked about this book.

•The freaking cover! It
Eva Rian ☾
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
4.5 ⭐
Aahh yes! This book was yet again soo much fun to read! I cant wait for My Calamity Jane 😍
Hillary
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
DNF 54% | 08/03/19 | 1.5 stars

So here we are. I am dnfing one of my most anticipated books.
I wanted to keep going and force myself but I realized it's not really worth it anymore. I am more than halfway through and nothing has happened yet. I can describe the plot so far in one sentence: Alexander Blackwood, part of the WSR society, keeps trying to recruit Jane Eyre because she sees ghosts, but she doesn't want to work for them. That's it.
I'm still extremely excited about My Calamity Jane, I fee
Taylor
2.5

Let’s start with the girl.

Her name was Jane.”

...

Reader, I wanted to love this book. It was one of my most anticipated releases of the year, and I absolutely loved My Lady Jane, and Jane Eyre is one of my favorite books, so I had no doubt I'd love this.

Sadly, I was mistaken.

One of my favorite things about the Lady Janies' previous bo
Jessica
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC of this book for free as part of BookSparks’ YA Summer Reading Challenge.

I give this book 3.5 stars which rounds up to 4.

I was so excited to read this book, but it ended up being not quite what I was expecting. I love Jane Eyre (it’s one of my favorite classics) and I expected a fun retelling. I kind of got that, but at the same time kind of didn’t.

Also I just want to throw it out there that I have never read My Lady Jane, so I can’t say how it compares to that book.

I enjoyed
Rachel Reads Ravenously
4 stars!

“Never in any Jane Austen novel did the love interest pretend to be a fortune-teller," Helen said, "Why would someone do that?”

^^Just kidding. But in this book she can see ghosts.

I really enjoyed this book, it's a fanciful retelling of Jane Eyre that is so aware of itself and also pokes fun at itself. In My Plain Jane, there are people who can see ghosts and Jane Eyre is one of them. Growing up starving at Lowood school, Jane jumps at the chance to be a governess in a new position.
emma
Jan 25, 2018 marked it as to-read
What I do not like: My Lady Jane.

What I do like: Jane Eyre.

What I am doing: adding a My Lady Jane sequel retelling of Jane Eyre to my to-read list.

In other words:

may ❀
ayyyy book #1 done for the booktubeathon ✔

this was really FUN and ridiculous and slightly silly. i preferred my lady jane over this one but nonetheless a great read.
Zoe Stewart (yerabooknerdzoe)
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: default
I think I liked this one more than My Lady Jane which I didn't think was possible. But it is. This book was perfection. I wouldn't change a single thing about it, and I want to read it again already, despite finishing it two minutes ago. Do I have a problem? Yes. That problem is that this book ended.
Kassidy
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved the mystery/paranormal aspects of the story and of course the Jane Eyre references!
April
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed reading Charlotte's POV.
Faye*
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
30 August 2019

4 stars

I really enjoyed this even the second time around. Fiona Hardingham is a great narrator (even though her French is atrocious at times) and the story is great fun.

If you consider reading/listening to this, please bear in mind that My Plain Jane (just as My Lady Jane) is utterly silly and definitely not fit for overanalysing.

***

6 July 2018

This was the most ridiculous thing I've ever read. It was complete and utter nonsense, and it was glorious.

Actual Footage of me re

• Witch Water (Witch Saga, #2)
  • Macbeth
  • Unicorn Crossing (Phoebe and Her Unicorn, #5)
  • Speak Easy, Speak Love
  • Like Never and Always
  • Catching Stars
  • Odd & True
  • Seeking the Dead (Joe Plantagenet, #1)
  • The Dire King (Jackaby, #4)
  • The Beholder (The Beholder, #1)
  • Lion Heart (Scarlet, #3)
  • The Dark Days Deceit (Lady Helen, #3)
  • Among the Red Stars
  • Like a River Glorious (The Gold Seer Trilogy, #2)
  • That Burning Summer
  • These Vengeful Souls (These Vicious Masks, #3)
  • Finding Felicity
Cynthia Hand is the New York Times bestselling author of several books for teens, including the UNEARTHLY trilogy, THE LAST TIME WE SAY GOODBYE, MY LADY JANE and MY PLAIN JANE (with fellow authors Brodi Ashton and Jodi Meadows), THE AFTERLIFE OF HOLLY CHASE, and the upcoming novels THE HOW AND THE WHY and MY CALAMITY JANE (also with Ashton and Meadows). Before turning to writing for young adults, ...more

The Lady Janies (3 books)
  • My Lady Jane (The Lady Janies, #1)
  • My Calamity Jane (The Lady Janies, #3)
“If there was something strange in your neighborhood, you could, um, write the Society a letter, and they would promptly send an agent to take care of it.” 11 likes
“Words were good. But sometimes they were simply inadequate.” 9 likes