Start by marking “The Endless Beach (Mure, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Endless Beach (Mure, #2)

The Endless Beach

(Mure #2)

When Flora MacKenzie traded her glum career in London for the remote Scottish island of Mure, she never dreamed that Joel—her difficult, adorable boss—would follow. Yet now, not only has Flora been reunited with her family and opened a charming café by the sea, but she and Joel are taking their first faltering steps into romance.

With Joel away on business in New York, Flor
ebook, ePub, 416 pages
Published May 22nd 2018 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published January 11th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about The Endless Beach, please sign up.
Michelle Size Yeah I was surprised by this. I like the way they design romantic comedy covers in the UK. The USA ones look ok but they look generic.
Deborah I have read both and feel it would be best to read them in order so you know what's going on with all the characters.

Start your review of The Endless Beach (Mure, #2)
Rachel Gilbey
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easily without a doubt in my mind, the best book Jenny Colgan has ever written. My only regret was that I hadn't started it earlier in the day so that I could have read it in one sitting.

In fact, please don't waste your time reading this review, just go buy the book now, settle down in your comfy reading spot and read that instead, it will be a far better and more enjoyable use of your time.

Why?

Well that's because the book is brilliant. It is heartwarming, it is emotional and I just didn't wan
Babs
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A generous 2 star read, that really only merited 1 and a half stars at most.

I usually like Jenny Colgan for some light reading. But this is just awful. Not only does the storyline drag, but the writing is abysmal. There are far too many offshoots, hyphenated additions and bracketed information, that it disrupts the flow of the reading. Not only that but four year old Agot is the singularly most annoying character I have ever come across. Has Jenny Colgan ever spent any time with a four year old
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews
May 13, 2018 rated it really liked it

Flora quit her job as an attorney in London and moved back with her family on the Isle of Mure in the Scottish Highlands to work in the bakery.

Much to her surprise, her boss, Joel, decided to join her.

Flora didn’t know what to expect, but she didn’t expect love. She finds out Joel had a difficult childhood in foster care and doesn’t want to open up about it. That is a secret Joel keeps, a secret that causes problems for him as well as Flora, but this definitely adds interest to the story line.

T
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Reading a Jenny Colgan book always fills me with contentment. I know the story will draw me in and the dialogue will be both funny and serious and I will love the characters. I just know it. And, I was not wrong this time either.

READ THE REST OF THE REVIEW OVER AT FRESH FICTION!
Katie B
Flora MacKenzie has recently returned to the place where she grew up, the Scottish island of Mure. She is busy running a cafe and is in the beginning stages of a romance with her former boss, Joel. This is the second book in the Summer Seaside Kitchen series but can be read as a standalone novel as the author does a good job catching the reader up on what happened in the previous book.

What I enjoyed most about this book was the focus wasn't solely on the two main characters. Instead the book als
Bloss ♡
May 28, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
2.5
I guess it would have been hard to top The Summer Seaside Kitchen, which I thought was excellent (trite Joel element notwithstanding). Why even try? What’s wrong with a perfectly good standalone! I know that series are lucrative but that doesn’t mean every single story warrants a box set! I had the same thoughts about Beach Street Bakery, to be honest.

Speaking of which....
The Mure books have an eerie similarity to the Beach Street books:
Fairly normal, sound woman in first book (Polly/Flora)
Kathryn
What a heart warming yet bittersweet story. I am not ready to let these characters go, I want another book with their story to continue.
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Deep breath. Breathe…. OH MY GOSH! WHY CAN’T AUTHORS MAKE IT CLEAR THAT YOU ARE PICKING UP A BOOK THAT IS PART OF A SERIES?! SERIOUSLY! IS IT REALLY THAT DIFFICULT?!

Yes, dear readers, I am “slightly” irritated that once again I have fallen into a series, completely unawares of what I was doing. Readers, you know me by now – reading mid-series irritates me beyond belief, not to mention you are missing half of the backstory. Well, here I have done it again. I didn’t realise what had happened until
Bookworman
October 16, 2019: Best. Jenny. Colgan. Book. Ever!

July 4, 2019: This is absolutely Jenny Colgan’s best book!

September 1, 2018 Update:
OK, so I just finished listening to this and it was EVEN BETTER! Jenny Colgan makes me laugh, cry, laugh again, cry again, hug my husband really hard, and then want to experience it all over again. How the heck am I going be able to wait for the sequel?

This was even better than the first one which I’ve, by the way, read twice and listened to once already.
Erick
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Sorry Jenny, I just didn't dig this one. It was an endless drudgery of self-loathing, worrying, lacking humor and other factors book that just couldn't get over itself. It wallows in the pain of its subject matter and won't let you up for air. It's just flat out soul sucking in the end for my taste.
Alayne Emmett
May 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. I love Jenny’s books and have read loads of them over the years. I’m always pleased to see a new one come out and can’t wait to get my hands on it. She never disappoints and her books are always a joy to read.
Nicola Clough
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was really looking forward to reading this follow on to the seaside kitchen and hearing more about the people who live there and it didn't let me down at all so well written and a simple read with great characters you can really imagine yourself there on the island as described it so well. It's romantic I'm places but upsetting in others as well and you are hooked from the first page. So readable I really do recommend you get it.
The book is still about flora in a big way as she rubs the seasi
Mandi Schreiner
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a sequel to the Cafe by the Sea - so don't read this without reading Cafe first (Also a 5-star read for me)

I ADORED this book. I adored book one too. The character are so rich, so engaging, so real....I fell in love with them and the entire town. I absolutely adored every single page.

In this one - although very romance-centered, there is a storyline that will hurt your HEA heart. The main couple has a HEA but there is a storyline that a romance-only book fan will not like.

But this town a
Hannah Symonds
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Doesn't the cover make you want to dive right in? Well it does for me as I am a huge Jenny Colgan fan. If you haven't read any of her books I would strongly recommend them with a big mug of tea and a biscuit or two. This story is all about life on Mure it follows on from the seaside kitchen where we first meet all the wonderful residents that live there. The characters make you feel as though your part of the community and shows you that no matter what your going through they will always pull to ...more
Emma Crowley
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Without doubt The Endless Beach is the best book Jenny Colgan has ever written. Once I started this brilliant read, I easily finished it within a couple of hours as I became so entranced by the magic of the island of Mure and by the astonishingly excellent storylines and characters. This books packs a real emotional punch and readers would be forgiven that they weren't going to find such emotions and feelings running through what many would term a 'chick-lit' book. No this goes way beyond that, ...more
Jan
Jan 22, 2018 rated it liked it
I am a huge Jenny Colgan fan and it's usually a real highlight for me when a new book comes Out. Her books are usually funny, charming and provide a much needed light escape from the real world. This was not one of those books. This tackled some really serious issues and at times was really depressing. I read these books for a laugh and an escape from serious things not to be clobbered over the head with them.
Kaisha (The Writing Garnet)
All reviews can be found on my blog at https://thewritinggarnet.wordpress.com

I will warn you now - my review of Jenny Colgan's new novel will not do the book justice in the slightest. The only way you're going to be able to appreciate such outstanding, literary craftsmanship, is by grabbing a copy for yourself, turning off every link to the outside world, and delve into a story which you will never want to leave.

I have been a huge fan of Jenny Colgan's novels for as long as I can remember, with
Karen Whittard
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you love Jenny Colgansbooks as much as me then this is not a book to be missed. Or if you haven’t read a Jenny Colgan book before and you are a fan of romance/chicklit this book is for you. Without doubt a must read for all.

I simply loved this book. It was beautiful, romantic, emotional and heartbreaking. I greedily gobbled up this book in one sitting and absolutely loved it from beginning to end.

It was so lovely to go back to Mure again. A place I would absolutely love to live. Even though
Lily (Night Owl Book Cafe)
I received this book for free from Publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.A character driven book that takes place on a Scottish Island of Mure.

The book follows Flora MacKenzie, who moved to Mure for a fresh start and opened up Cafe by the Sea. She never dreamt that her difficult but adorable boss would follow her. Joel is fed up with city life and is tired of sleeping with supermodels and is now looking for some peace
steph
I waver between 3 and 4 stars for this novel because there were parts of it I really liked and there were parts of it that totally annoyed me (view spoiler)

I enjoyed seeing Flora and Joel again and getting to see how they make (or don’t make) their relationship work. Most books end with the co
Linda Hutchinson
I have 5 authors that are guaranteed winners for me. Jenny Colgan is one of those writers that never disappoints. She crafts a sweet, romantic story about life on the small Scottish island of Mure. “The Endless Beach,” centers around Flora MacKenzie, the owner and proprietor of the charming local bakery who is in love with an American attorney with lots of secrets. But for Flora, when she loves, she goes all in. I so enjoy how Ms. Colgan develops the various island relationships, small town coun ...more
Grace J Reviewerlady
This book encompasses such a lot – love, family, resettlement of refugees, island life, to mention just a few – and it’s so well written you feel yourself being absorbed into the island of Mure and the endless beach.

The author includes a small section of information catching you up on who is who, what, where and why and this sets the scene beautifully. Instead of trying to work everyone out, I just sank into the story – and a wonderful story it is. Life is real on Mure, everyone has their everyd
Jaclyn
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Quite simply, this is the best audiobook that I have ever listened to. It was like getting a hug from a book. Jenny Colgan is the perfect summer read and the The Endless Beach was a delightful follow-up to Cafe by the Sea. I loved going past the supposed "happily ever after" of the first book with Flora, Joel, Fintan, Coltan and the rest, only to discover that this happiness is something that doesn't come easily. This one was both sad and uplifting. If you get the chance to listen to the audio v ...more
I really enjoyed the first book in this series but this one was just ok for me. I usually pick up her books when I'm looking for a light escape read, but this one had quite a bit of darkness in it.

The refugee crisis was part of it, which is the part I'm actually glad she included, but then someone had a nervous breakdown and someone else became terminally ill, and I just didn't want to go there. It just became too dark as a whole.

So it was just OK. The audio version was also, for me, not great
mindful.librarian ☀️
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult-reads
LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE Jenny Colgan and everything she has ever written. This series is especially magical :-) LOVE.
Agi
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Lately Jenny Colgan was proving with her every new release what a brilliant author she is, and each of her book was better than the previous one. However, with "The Endless Beach", she has probably outdone herself - this book is perfect in every way. I would go that far and say that it's probably Jenny Colgan's best yet. This book has fulfilled all of my expectations and more. It is heart - warming, uplifting, emotional and incredibly realistic, and written in this brilliant and unmatchable Jenn
Richard
Jan 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sampler
I may have said previously in reviews I don't like tasters. This is a sampler of the first two chapters of Jenny Colgan's book The Endless Beach set on the fictitious Island of Mure.
So, what is he doing requesting this romantic fiction piece clearly aimed at a female audience?
Good question. However, I do like good authors and Jenny had evidence of a long list of best-selling novels that she is excellent at what she does and highly respected in this genre.
Does it come over as sexist to rail again
Tessa
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I always know that when I pick up a Jenny Colgan novel that I am about to embark on an absolutely lovely adventure. This one was no exception. I loved the first Summer Seaside Kitchen novel and just fell in love with Flora and Joel and everyone on the island. This story was like visiting back with old friends. There were some trials to overcome, some heartbreak and some new love, pretty much the perfect equation for a wonderful summer read. I can't wait for the Christmas novel to come out so tha ...more
Angie
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Originally reviewed here @ Angieville

I am almost always up for a sequel. You know this about me. But you also know how there are just some books that are so right a sequel doesn't even enter your head? And it's not necessarily even that things are tied up neatly at the end, it's that the book as a singular entity is . . . whole. On a fundamental level. That is how I felt about The Cafe by the Sea. I finished it completely happy with the world and completely unaware that a sequel was not only in
Karen Mace
Feb 13, 2019 rated it liked it
A much more serious offering from Jenny Colgan this time round, and I'm still in 2 minds as to whether it worked for me or not!!

You still had a very supportive community feel which always adds warmth to a story but I think it lacked a bit of that humour and sparkle that you always find with this author, as it did approach the more serious topic of dealing with mental health and the re-settlement of a refugee who was the local Doctor, but was desperate to hear news of his wife and his 2 children

• Class: Welcome to the Little School by the Sea (Maggie Adair #1)
  • Rules (Maggie Adair #2)
  • It Started with a Secret
  • Onverbeterlijk
  • Tegen beter weten in
  • Summer at Shell Cottage
  • De stroopwafelshop
  • Bokcirkeln vid världens ände
  • Summer at the Comfort Food Cafe (Comfort Food Cafe #1)
  • Villa Havsbris
  • I fikonträdets skugga
  • Maybe This Time
  • Nee heb je
  • De mooiste dag van je leven
  • Ik mis je
  • Hittu mig á ströndinni
  • Blå, blå höstvågor
  • A Family Recipe
Jenny Colgan is the author of numerous bestselling novels, including 'The Little Shop of Happy Ever After' and 'Summer at the Little Beach Street Bakery', which are also published by Sphere.' Meet Me at the Cupcake Café' won the 2012 Melissa Nathan Award for Comedy Romance and was a Sunday Times Top Ten bestseller, as was 'Welcome to Rosie Hopkins' Sweetshop of Dreams', which won the RNA Romantic ...more

Mure (4 books)
  • The Cafe by the Sea (Mure, #1)
  • Christmas on the Island (Mure, #3)
  • Christmas at the Island Hotel (Mure, #4)