Start by marking “The Endless Beach (The Summer Seaside Kitchen, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Endless Beach (The Summer Seaside Kitchen, #2)

The Endless Beach

(Summer Seaside Kitchen #2)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  5,255 ratings  ·  495 reviews
From the New York Times bestselling author of The Bookshop on the Corner and The Cafe by the Sea comes another enchanting, unforgettable novel of a woman who makes a fresh start on the beautiful Scottish Island of Mure—only to discover life has more surprises in store for her.

When Flora MacKenzie traded her glum career in London for the remote Scottish island of Mure, she
Published May 22nd 2018 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published January 11th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about The Endless Beach, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Endless Beach

really liked it 4.00  ·

Rachel Gilbey
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easily without a doubt in my mind, the best book Jenny Colgan has ever written. My only regret was that I hadn't started it earlier in the day so that I could have read it in one sitting.

In fact, please don't waste your time reading this review, just go buy the book now, settle down in your comfy reading spot and read that instead, it will be a far better and more enjoyable use of your time.

Why?

Well that's because the book is brilliant. It is heartwarming, it is emotional and I just didn't wan
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews
May 13, 2018 rated it really liked it

Flora quit her job as an attorney in London and moved back with her family on the Isle of Mure in the Scottish Highlands to work in the bakery.

Much to her surprise, her boss, Joel, decided to join her.

Flora didn’t know what to expect, but she didn’t expect love. She finds out Joel had a difficult childhood in foster care and doesn’t want to open up about it. That is a secret Joel keeps, a secret that causes problems for him as well as Flora, but this definitely adds interest to the story line.

T
Babs
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A generous 2 star read, that really only merited 1 and a half stars at most.

I usually like Jenny Colgan for some light reading. But this is just awful. Not only does the storyline drag, but the writing is abysmal. There are far too many offshoots, hyphenated additions and bracketed information, that it disrupts the flow of the reading. Not only that but four year old Agot is the singularly most annoying character I have ever come across. Has Jenny Colgan ever spent any time with a four year old
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Reading a Jenny Colgan book always fills me with contentment. I know the story will draw me in and the dialogue will be both funny and serious and I will love the characters. I just know it. And, I was not wrong this time either.

READ THE REST OF THE REVIEW OVER AT FRESH FICTION!
Katie B
Flora MacKenzie has recently returned to the place where she grew up, the Scottish island of Mure. She is busy running a cafe and is in the beginning stages of a romance with her former boss, Joel. This is the second book in the Summer Seaside Kitchen series but can be read as a standalone novel as the author does a good job catching the reader up on what happened in the previous book.

What I enjoyed most about this book was the focus wasn't solely on the two main characters. Instead the book als
Kathryn
What a heart warming yet bittersweet story. I am not ready to let these characters go, I want another book with their story to continue.
Bloss ♡
2.5
I guess it would have been hard to top The Summer Seaside Kitchen, which I thought was excellent (trite Joel element notwithstanding). Why even try? What’s wrong with a perfectly good standalone! I know that series are lucrative but that doesn’t mean every single story warrants a box set! I had the same thoughts about Beach Street Bakery, to be honest.

Speaking of which....
The Mure books have an eerie similarity to the Beach Street books:
Fairly normal, sound woman in first book (Polly/Flora)
Nicola Clough
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was really looking forward to reading this follow on to the seaside kitchen and hearing more about the people who live there and it didn't let me down at all so well written and a simple read with great characters you can really imagine yourself there on the island as described it so well. It's romantic I'm places but upsetting in others as well and you are hooked from the first page. So readable I really do recommend you get it.
The book is still about flora in a big way as she rubs the seasi
Mandi Schreiner
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a sequel to the Cafe by the Sea - so don't read this without reading Cafe first (Also a 5-star read for me)

I ADORED this book. I adored book one too. The character are so rich, so engaging, so real....I fell in love with them and the entire town. I absolutely adored every single page.

In this one - although very romance-centered, there is a storyline that will hurt your HEA heart. The main couple has a HEA but there is a storyline that a romance-only book fan will not like.

But this town a
Hannah Symonds
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Doesn't the cover make you want to dive right in? Well it does for me as I am a huge Jenny Colgan fan. If you haven't read any of her books I would strongly recommend them with a big mug of tea and a biscuit or two. This story is all about life on Mure it follows on from the seaside kitchen where we first meet all the wonderful residents that live there. The characters make you feel as though your part of the community and shows you that no matter what your going through they will always pull to ...more
Erick
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Sorry Jenny, I just didn't dig this one. It was an endless drudgery of self-loathing, worrying, lacking humor and other factors book that just couldn't get over itself. It wallows in the pain of its subject matter and won't let you up for air. It's just flat out soul sucking in the end for my taste.
Jan
Jan 22, 2018 rated it liked it
I am a huge Jenny Colgan fan and it's usually a real highlight for me when a new book comes Out. Her books are usually funny, charming and provide a much needed light escape from the real world. This was not one of those books. This tackled some really serious issues and at times was really depressing. I read these books for a laugh and an escape from serious things not to be clobbered over the head with them.
Kaisha (The Writing Garnet)
All reviews can be found on my blog at https://thewritinggarnet.wordpress.com

I will warn you now - my review of Jenny Colgan's new novel will not do the book justice in the slightest. The only way you're going to be able to appreciate such outstanding, literary craftsmanship, is by grabbing a copy for yourself, turning off every link to the outside world, and delve into a story which you will never want to leave.

I have been a huge fan of Jenny Colgan's novels for as long as I can remember, with
Karen Whittard
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you love Jenny Colgansbooks as much as me then this is not a book to be missed. Or if you haven’t read a Jenny Colgan book before and you are a fan of romance/chicklit this book is for you. Without doubt a must read for all.

I simply loved this book. It was beautiful, romantic, emotional and heartbreaking. I greedily gobbled up this book in one sitting and absolutely loved it from beginning to end.

It was so lovely to go back to Mure again. A place I would absolutely love to live. Even though
Lily (Night Owl Book Cafe)
I received this book for free from Publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.A character driven book that takes place on a Scottish Island of Mure.

The book follows Flora MacKenzie, who moved to Mure for a fresh start and opened up Cafe by the Sea. She never dreamt that her difficult but adorable boss would follow her. Joel is fed up with city life and is tired of sleeping with supermodels and is now looking for some peace
Linda Hutchinson
I have 5 authors that are guaranteed winners for me. Jenny Colgan is one of those writers that never disappoints. She crafts a sweet, romantic story about life on the small Scottish island of Mure. “The Endless Beach,” centers around Flora MacKenzie, the owner and proprietor of the charming local bakery who is in love with an American attorney with lots of secrets. But for Flora, when she loves, she goes all in. I so enjoy how Ms. Colgan develops the various island relationships, small town coun ...more
Grace J Reviewerlady
This book encompasses such a lot – love, family, resettlement of refugees, island life, to mention just a few – and it’s so well written you feel yourself being absorbed into the island of Mure and the endless beach.

The author includes a small section of information catching you up on who is who, what, where and why and this sets the scene beautifully. Instead of trying to work everyone out, I just sank into the story – and a wonderful story it is. Life is real on Mure, everyone has their everyd
Jaclyn
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Quite simply, this is the best audiobook that I have ever listened to. It was like getting a hug from a book. Jenny Colgan is the perfect summer read and the The Endless Beach was a delightful follow-up to Cafe by the Sea. I loved going past the supposed "happily ever after" of the first book with Flora, Joel, Fintan, Coltan and the rest, only to discover that this happiness is something that doesn't come easily. This one was both sad and uplifting. If you get the chance to listen to the audio v ...more
Kate Olson
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult-reads
LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE Jenny Colgan and everything she has ever written. This series is especially magical :-) LOVE.
Emma Crowley
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Without doubt The Endless Beach is the best book Jenny Colgan has ever written. Once I started this brilliant read, I easily finished it within a couple of hours as I became so entranced by the magic of the island of Mure and by the astonishingly excellent storylines and characters. This books packs a real emotional punch and readers would be forgiven that they weren't going to find such emotions and feelings running through what many would term a 'chick-lit' book. No this goes way beyond that, ...more
Agi
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Lately Jenny Colgan was proving with her every new release what a brilliant author she is, and each of her book was better than the previous one. However, with "The Endless Beach", she has probably outdone herself - this book is perfect in every way. I would go that far and say that it's probably Jenny Colgan's best yet. This book has fulfilled all of my expectations and more. It is heart - warming, uplifting, emotional and incredibly realistic, and written in this brilliant and unmatchable Jenn
Richard
Jan 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sampler
I may have said previously in reviews I don't like tasters. This is a sampler of the first two chapters of Jenny Colgan's book The Endless Beach set on the fictitious Island of Mure.
So, what is he doing requesting this romantic fiction piece clearly aimed at a female audience?
Good question. However, I do like good authors and Jenny had evidence of a long list of best-selling novels that she is excellent at what she does and highly respected in this genre.
Does it come over as sexist to rail again
Tessa
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I always know that when I pick up a Jenny Colgan novel that I am about to embark on an absolutely lovely adventure. This one was no exception. I loved the first Summer Seaside Kitchen novel and just fell in love with Flora and Joel and everyone on the island. This story was like visiting back with old friends. There were some trials to overcome, some heartbreak and some new love, pretty much the perfect equation for a wonderful summer read. I can't wait for the Christmas novel to come out so tha ...more
Angie
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Originally reviewed here @ Angieville

I am almost always up for a sequel. You know this about me. But you also know how there are just some books that are so right a sequel doesn't even enter your head? And it's not necessarily even that things are tied up neatly at the end, it's that the book as a singular entity is . . . whole. On a fundamental level. That is how I felt about The Cafe by the Sea. I finished it completely happy with the world and completely unaware that a sequel was not only in
Karen Mace
Feb 13, 2019 rated it liked it
A much more serious offering from Jenny Colgan this time round, and I'm still in 2 minds as to whether it worked for me or not!!

You still had a very supportive community feel which always adds warmth to a story but I think it lacked a bit of that humour and sparkle that you always find with this author, as it did approach the more serious topic of dealing with mental health and the re-settlement of a refugee who was the local Doctor, but was desperate to hear news of his wife and his 2 children
Jess
I had this plan to savor these books and that has not at all worked out. ANYWAY, this was both wrenching and wonderful and I want to visit Mure so badly.

I'm not actually sure what my favorite storyline in these books is, which is really the mark of an excellently crafted small town.

I love everyone. I hate Jenny Colgan for making me feel things.
Mary
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I just love Colgan's books. Always set in a faraway lovely little town filled with such interesting people. I've come to love Mure Island and all its' inhabitants. This one had a bit more drama, social issues. I'm hoping the next story is Lorna's. Always a good time.
Michelle
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book in the series and thank God there’s going to be a third. No to sound dramatic but I can’t end this story on a cliffhanger, I’ll need more closure.

If you haven’t read the first book, I’d definitely suggest reading it first. It establishes the characters’ relationships and also there’s a lot of fun foodie talk.

Back to this book...Flora and Joel are now a couple but she is unsure of his feelings and his commitment level. He did move to Mure to be with her. But he is still aw
Romi || Romi Reads
Although I haven't yet read the first book in the "Summer Seaside Kitchen" series by Jenny Colgan, The Cafe by the Sea, I absolutely loved reading The Endless Beach. It was just the feel good novel I need at this cold and dreary time of year. It warmed me right up with the witty writing style and its lovely characters. It also made me want to pack my bags and go the Mure at once!

I've always been one that rather spends her time with her loved ones close at home, instead of in a busy city far away
Gem ~ Bee
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I previously read the sampler (first two chapters) of this book and was thrilled to receive the full version to be able to review.
This was another superb story from Mure, a fictional Scottish Island, that's full of wilderness, heartache and traditions. Jenny's previous stories based here are "The Summer Seaside Kitchen" and the Quick Read "A Very Distant Shore" and whilst she introduced the background to the story, I think it would be a good idea personally to read them in sequence, to get that
  • Rules (Maggie Adair #2)
  • Christmas Promises at the Little Wedding Shop
  • The Chocolate Lovers' Christmas
  • The Great Christmas Knit Off
  • Spandex and the City
  • The House of New Beginnings
  • A Year at the Star and Sixpence
  • A Match Made on Main Street (Briar Creek, #2)
  • A Christmas Cracker
  • It Had to Be You
  • The Perfectly Imperfect Woman
  • Sleigh Rides and Silver Bells at the Christmas Fair
  • Appleby Farm
  • Bidding for Love
  • A Good Year for the Roses
  • A Family Recipe
  • Must Be Love (Talyton St George, #2)
  • Don't Want to Miss a Thing
Jenny Colgan is the author of numerous bestselling novels, including 'The Little Shop of Happy Ever After' and 'Summer at the Little Beach Street Bakery', which are also published by Sphere.' Meet Me at the Cupcake Café' won the 2012 Melissa Nathan Award for Comedy Romance and was a Sunday Times Top Ten bestseller, as was 'Welcome to Rosie Hopkins' Sweetshop of Dreams', which won the RNA Romantic ...more

Summer Seaside Kitchen (3 books)
  • The Cafe by the Sea (Summer Seaside Kitchen, #1)
  • Christmas on the Island (Summer Seaside Kitchen #3)
“There were daffodils, yes, and crocuses, and the hardy little snowdrops; and green was beginning to wreathe its way across the land – but when you still had to scrape the ice off your car in the morning, when you still had to run across the road in howling gales and lashing rain, when it felt as if you were holding your breath, waiting for the year to begin, even as days of your life passed you by …” 1 likes
“She had handed him her heart in her hands without truly knowing whether this quiet, enclosed man could be trusted with it. But it had gone; it had flown from her as if it had always been his, regardless of what he wanted to do with it.” 1 likes