Start by marking “How to Be a Christian: Reflections and Essays” as Want to Read:
How to Be a Christian: Reflections and Essays

How to Be a Christian: Reflections and Essays

From the revered teacher and bestselling author of such classic Christian works as Mere Christianity and The Screwtape Letters comes a collection that gathers the best of C. S. Lewis’s practical advice on how to embody a Christian life.

The most famous adherent and defender of Christianity in the twentieth century, C. S. Lewis has long influenced our perceptions and underst
Published August 7th 2018 by HarperOne (first published August 2018)

To ask other readers questions about How to Be a Christian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Be a Christian

Start your review of How to Be a Christian: Reflections and Essays
Nay Denise
Received a copy for review from the publisher.

This was an interesting read. It took me some time to debate between a 3.5 and 4 star rating. I, overall, enjoyed reading this book. However, I was only fond of three of the fifteen chapters in this book. Though I didn't thoroughly love each chapter, I found that I was to be glean some informative points from each chapter.

My favorite chapters were:
- On forgiveness as a necessary practice
- On the appeal and challenges of home life
- On the importanc
Nay Denise
Received a copy for review from the publisher.

My favorite chapters were:
- On forgiveness as a necessary practice
- On the appeal and challenges of home life
- On the importanc
Jeff Short
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian-life
This book is a collection of Lewis' essays from various works. The publisher has selected essays around the general theme of practical Christianity. So, this book is not what Lewis would have produced if he had set about the task of writing a book on the practical Christian life. Setting that disappointment aside, we find here a great collection of essays Lewis did write and a transcribed interview of what Lewis did say. So, maybe the next best thing.

Lewis was a great thinker and writer. He had
Beth
Jan 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Had read a few of the essays before but not all of them.
Particularly liked: On Doubts and the Gift of Faith & On the Christian Art of Attaining Glory.

"To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because Gd has forgiven the inexcusable in you."

"Our faith in Christ wavers not so much when real arguments come against it as when it looks improbable-when the whole world takes on that desolate look which really tells us much more about the state of our passions...than about reality."

"I do not
Noah Meyer
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a good read simply because it pulled from a variety of Lewis's works, consolidating them into a book that addresses many topics Christians often think about such as our concern for others' salvation, living expectantly, how we treat others and ourselves, our roles in the church, and one of my favorites from the book, "The Christian Art of Attaining Glory." As always, Lewis addresses these topics from his unique angle with his remarkably clear metaphors. For those looking for a tailored ...more
Chad King
Dec 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a collection of selected chapters and essays from Lewis's earlier writings, mainly "God in the Dock," "Mere Christianity," and "The Weight of Glory and Other Addresses." The selected material is good but there's nothing new, so if you've read much of Lewis then you'll likely have ready everything in this volume already. It would be an excellent introduction to his writings for someone that isn't already familiar with him.
Josiah Sweetnam
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I very much loved this book. I am a huge fan of C.S. Lewis, and even though I have previously read a few of these writings included on this book separately beforehand, I felt that the organization of it and the highlighting of specific topics was very well done.
Kico Meirelles
Apr 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a beautiful book that explain in simple words the value and the process to be a Christian. I was considering it a very good book (4 stars) until the last two chapters when it becomes a must reading, an amazing one.
Joseph Sawanowich
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Actually a compilation of essays from six of Lewis' other works. Excellent advice overall on living the Christian life.
Nina Hoppe
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What wonderful reflections on the life Christ calls us to.
Steven Hart
May 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great collection of essays and excerpts from other Lewis' writings. I had read about half of these before in other works, but I still found it useful as a kind of devotional reading.
Diane Danielson
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love reading C S Lewis’s views on Christianity. It really makes me think. Wish I had someone to discuss this with.
Dale Ann Edmiston
A little of this and that. Not like reading Mere Christianity
Debra
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So full of wisdom. Cannot fathom what a deep thinker and amazingly insightful man he was. I will read this more than once!
Daniel Willis
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nobody explains fundamental Christian concepts quite like C.S. Lewis. Would recommend for those new to Christianity, interested in Christianity or even for long-time Christians who want to reaffirm their foundations.
Nicholas Tacitus
Jan 06, 2020
Mathias Hansen
May 01, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Translation and merge issues 9 48 Jun 05, 2020 03:59AM

• The Freedom of Self-Forgetfulness
  • Rise & Shine: A Wake Up Call
  • Simply Jesus: A New Vision of Who He Was, What He Did, and Why He Matters
  • The Madness of Crowds: Gender, Race and Identity
  • Thoughts for Young Men
  • Down Among the Dead (DI Nick Dixon Crime #10)
  • A Plain Account of Christian Perfection
  • Atticus the Storyteller
  • Your Own Kind of Girl
  • The Commonitory: For the Antiquity and Universality of the Catholic Faith Against the Profane Novelties of All Heresies:
  • 2 Esdras
  • The Martyrdom of Polycarp
  • The Tender Bar: A Memoir
  • The Heart of a King (The Loves of King Solomon #1-4)
  • A Spiral into Marvelous Light
  • Twelve Steps for Overeaters: An Interpretation of the Twelve Steps of Overeaters Anonymous
  • Apology
  • Fearfully and Wonderfully: The Marvel of Bearing God's Image

Clive Staples Lewis was one of the intellectual giants of the twentieth century and arguably one of the most influential writers of his day. He was a Fellow and Tutor in English Literature at Oxford University until 1954. He was unanimously elected to the Chair of Medieval and Renaissance Literature at Cambridge