Start by marking “Runaway Heiress (Dare to Defy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Runaway Heiress (Dare to Defy, #1)

Runaway Heiress

(Dare to Defy #1)

When a runaway heiress runs into trouble, she may end up exactly where she belongs…

Brainy and college-educated, American heiress Alexandra Atherton will do anything to avoid marriage to the English peer her mother has chosen for her—even abandon the life of privilege she's always known. But as her escape goes horribly wrong, Alexandra must invent a new identity to gain th
Published June 12th 2018 by Avon Impulse

To ask other readers questions about Runaway Heiress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Runaway Heiress

Start your review of Runaway Heiress (Dare to Defy, #1)
Sam (AMNReader)
Nov 12, 2020 marked it as life-is-too-short
Shelves: library, historical
Quit at 10%

I simply don't enjoy reading this.
Renae
Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Runaway Heiress is a Brontë-inspired romance that combines the best of the secret identity and master/servant tropes.

If you had asked me, prior to reading Syrie James’s first romance novel, whether or not I particularly liked books about wealthy American heiress hiding their identity or Victorian governesses-turned-countesses, I probably would have said no. However, I read the back copy for Runaway Heiress and was instantly intrigued, and lucky for me the book itself lived up to the promise of
Christina
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am a fan of Syrie James’ work. Was excited for this first in a series of American heiresses in Victorian England. James skillfully builds tension and introduces her likeable characters. The story picked up significantly once we moved on to the country and estate where James created a fast-paced 'romp' through a historical Romance. I loved it! Swoonworthy romantic hero and completely entertaining. Look forward to the rest in the series. ...more
Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)
Leaving the Regency Era Behind!

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – I’ll read whatever Syrie James writes. After adoring her biographical fiction novels about Jane Austen and Charlotte Brontë, I did not hesitate to read her two vampire-inspired novels, even though vampires were not (and are still not) my thing! And wow, did I love those epic and passionate tales! Now once again, Ms. James is bringing me into new territory – a Victorian-era romance set against the fascinating backdrop of E
Laurel
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When “Dollar Princess” Alexandra Atherton dares to defy her scheming mother’s plan to marry her off to a foppish British peer, she decides that her only chance at freedom is a total break from the restrictive confines of her privileged life, becoming a runaway heiress. Her ill-thought-out escape from London goes terribly wrong at every turn until she meets a handsome young man, Thomas Carlyle, who hires her as governess to his younger sisters. Unbeknownst to each other, they are both living doub ...more
Susan (susayq ~)
I'm slowly trying to catch up some of my ARCs that I have and this is one of them. I have to say, I am sorry I didn't read this sooner. I really enjoyed Syrie James's writing. I'll be looking for more from her.

Alexandra was just the best! I loved her attempt at being a governess to Thomas's younger sisters. And Thomas. He was wonderfully secretive and a great hero.
Aly
Jun 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5

London, 1888.

What's a girl to do when she doesn't want to be married to the vile man her mother will force her to wed ? Well this girl choose to escape. Unfortunately for this American heiress, trouble seem to follow her everywhere and before she can board the train direction her home country, she's robbed, assailed and almost trampled on.

When the Earl of Longford find a stranger passed out on the road he cannot let her there and bring her to the boardinghouse he's currently living. They'll
Tabetha Waite
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
From historical facts to a touching story of an American heiress and an English Earl who is trying to save his estate, I love how these characters grew throughout this story.
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, victorian

I’ve enjoyed historical fiction novels from Syrie James in the past and was delighted to have a chance to review her new historical romance, Runaway Heiress. Runaway Heiress is a Victorian historical romance involving the American invasion of heiresses to England trying to snag a titled husband. Think Cora from Downton Abbey or all the ladies in The Buccaneers by Edith Wharton.

Alexandra Atherton has attended college in America and wants an independent life full of learning. Her mother has other
Crystal
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
As I read more historical romance, I'm starting to discover elements that I like. For instance, I realized that I love a good hidden identity romance. Not all that surprising since I also enjoy that in contemporary romance. I'm also loving a governess heroine. Again, not surprising since Jane Eyre is my absolute favorite classic romance. Put those two together and apparently I'm as happy as a clam.

I enjoyed Runaway Heiress. It was a fun and light historical romance with lovable characters, witt
marieno
Jun 24, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. To enjoyed my reading, I had to ignore certains things that didn't work for me. (Alexandra is too progressive for the time, (even if I approve) or the fact that sometimes I felt like I was drowing in words and had difficulties to stay concentrated.

What I liked is that the MC met very fast. Both are not what they say they are but Thomas will soon open himself to Alexandra who's not going to do the same thing for him. But both will developped feelings for the other.

"I am American, [...]
Carole (in Canada)
Sep 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Historical Romance
As a huge fan of Syrie James' novels, I knew I had to try her new venture into historical romance. I wasn't disappointed. This was a fun, fast-paced and flirty romance with sizzle.

The heroine, Alexandra Atherton, is a feisty American heiress that her mother insists must marry a titled Englishman. Her mother's choice is abhorrent to her, so what does she decide to do? Run back home! As it turns out, it was harder than she imagined and 'Murphy's Law' came into play.

But who wouldn't want to be res
Tina
Feb 11, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very predictable plot but that won't stop me from reading the others in the series. ...more
Lori Radulovich
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved Runaway Heiress. I found it had more depth than many other romance novels. When I first started reading, the story moved fast and was very engaging. Lord Carlyle’s personification reminded me of Mr. Darcy at the end of Pride & Prejudice—very loving and romantic. I was also so happy with the book that I didn’t even need an epilogue ☺ Truly! The story was also refreshing in that I hadn’t read a storyline like it before, and I have read a lot of romance novels! Lastly, the author ...more
Katie
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I know that I’ve mentioned multiple times how much I love runaway heiress/hidden identity novels, but oh-my-gosh I love them and I want to scream it from the rooftops. Runaway Heiress by Syrie James is no exception to that rule. In fact, it’s even better because both the hero and the heroine are operating under a case of hidden identity. That might be the first time I’ve read a runaway heiress story with that unique of a premise.

Sometimes in historical romance novels the women are timid and naïv
Sissy's Romance Book Review
Runaway Heiress Syrie James is the First book in the Dare to Defy series. This is the story of Alexandra Atherton and Thomas Carlyle, the Earl of Longford.
Alexandra is a smart women who knows she doesn't want to marry the man her mother has picked out for her. So she goes off on her own assuming another identity and ends up being a governess of sorts to Thomas's sisters. Thomas too has his secrets but what they both can't keep secret for long is how they feel about the other!
This was a fun and
Rebecca Gilson
Loved it! Loved the characters and the storyline. Have read most of Syries books and love them! What a talented author!
Bethany Averie
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm picky when it comes to Historical novels. I don't read many of them, but I wanted to read this one because it was different than most out there--not strictly Regency, and a bit of adventure thrown in, with Historical accuracy an important factor in making the story work. I enjoyed the foray into the whole Americans going to England to marry a title and the English nobles needing the heiresses to fix up their estates. I had seen a documentary about this not too long ago, so it was fun to read ...more
Karen
Dec 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
An entertaining romp around old English playgrounds with likeable characters and an infusion of Americanisms.

Favourite Quotes:

"Thomas struggles to modulate his respiration into something approaching normalcy."

"The best cure for depression is hard work."

"Anticipation only increases the pleasure of an event."

"Alexandra reminded herself that matters of the heart were deeply felt, no matter what one’s age."

"'I learned a great deal in college. But if I've learned anything in life, it's to know when i
Marie
Nov 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good Read
I read The Missing Manuscript of Jane Austen by Syrie James, which was my first read written by her and which I enjoyed very much and thought I'd try another. I enjoyed this one as well. A good hist-fic romance. I recommend if you like this genre.
Maryam
Mar 15, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just right while social distancing to deal with Covid 19
Sorsharoxs
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Could not put this book down. Like all Syrie’s books...a page turner.
Lynsay
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great story with amazing characters. Some surprise and some predictable parts.
Jessica Grogan
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
RTC
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-kindle
I enjoyed this book
Meredith
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
A witty historical with a Jane Eyre-esque plot.
Amy Starzinski
May 30, 2019
Debbie O
Jul 15, 2018
Lily
Jul 13, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Duke Is But a Dream (Debutante Diaries, #2)
  • I Never Knew Myself: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
  • Losing Lizzy: A Pride and Prejudice Vagary
  • Pride and Papercuts (The Austens, #5)
  • Proxima Centauri
  • Liminal Thinking
  • Witness: Lessons from Elie Wiesel’s Classroom
  • Introduction to Electric Circuits
  • Getting (More Of) What You Want: How the Secrets of Economics  Psychology Can Help You Negotiate Anything in Business  Life
  • American Prince (New Camelot Trilogy, #2)
  • Darcy's Elusive Bride: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
  • Slow Ride (Road to Love, #2)
  • Sons of Pemberley: A Pride & Prejudice Reimagining
  • Mind over Weight: Curb Cravings, Find Motivation, and Hit Your Number in 7 Simple Steps
  • American King (New Camelot Trilogy, #3)
  • The Elements of Teaching
  • The Achievement Habit: Stop Wishing, Start Doing, and Take Command of Your Life
  • The Craving Mind: From Cigarettes to Smartphones to Love – Why We Get Hooked and How We Can Break Bad Habits
Syrie James is the USA TODAY and Amazon bestselling author of thirteen novels of historical, contemporary, and young adult fiction and romance, which have been published in 21 languages.

Los Angeles Magazine dubbed Syrie the “queen of nineteenth century re-imaginings.” Syrie’s novel “The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen” sold at auction to HarperCollins in a bidding war and became an international best

Dare to Defy (3 books)
  • Summer of Scandal (Dare to Defy, #2)
  • Duke Darcy's Castle (Dare to Defy, #3)

News & Interviews