Start by marking “41 Reasons I'm Staying In: A Celebration of Introverts” as Want to Read:
41 Reasons I'm Staying In: A Celebration of Introverts

41 Reasons I'm Staying In: A Celebration of Introverts

In a world of seemingly unending social obligations, we could all use a night off.

In 41 Reasons I'm Staying In, illustrator and self-proclaimed introvert Hallie Heald imaginatively portrays engaging and sometimes outlandish excuses to avoid leaving home.

With each page comes a new room and character, pursuing their obsessions, hobbies, interests, and sudden whims with gust
Published January 29th 2019 by Morrow Gift

To ask other readers questions about 41 Reasons I'm Staying In, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 41 Reasons I'm Staying In

Start your review of 41 Reasons I'm Staying In: A Celebration of Introverts
Calista
This is not a story. It is 41 scenes meant to be humorous about things one can do in their room to enjoy being alone. This seems like it’s more for older kids and up. The artwork holds lots of interesting details to look at and many of them were very funny.

I didn’t read this to etiher kid as there is not much to read. The only words are on the door of the room that give an idea of what is going on inside the room. It’s cute. It’s meant to entertain.
Julie
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful picture book for adults.
Rod Brown
I saw this come into the library, gave it a quick flip and decided to pass. But then it kept coming through over and over, with dozens of holds on a dozen copies, and I was overcome with FOMO and put myself into the queue.

Turns out my initial impression was right and it really is a sort of nothing book. (Which is appropriate, I suppose, since it was inspired by an episode of Seinfeld.)

The detailed art is sort of eye-catching and loaded with Easter eggs, the occasional bit of wit, and the tiniest
Janet
The illustrations make this book--hands down. Lovingly illustrated with lots of fun little extras, these drawings make Heald’s affection for introverts of all types come through loud and clear. I especially enjoyed the wide diversity in age, race, reason, body type, room style, etc. I do wish, however, Heald had thrown in a couple of male introverts. We may not typically think of men as being introverted, but seeing a few guys within these pages would--I think--have only improved on an already e ...more
Megan (ChroniclesOfABookworm)
According to the promo material, this is supposed to be based off or inspired by a Seinfeld episode. I don’t know anything about Seinfeld so I can’t attest to that — but what I do know is that this was a super cute read with amazing illustrations! I don’t consider myself an introvert but these reasons for being so we’re totally relatable & I loved it.
Samantha W.
This wasn't exactly what I was expecting, but it's still cute. The illustrations were detailed and fun. ...more
Jenny
Feb 01, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wish there had been a little more text to this book.
Rachel Smith
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
relatable.
Mariah
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Great illustrations but nothing special.
Salliewt
Not a story or true celebration of introverts. Just a picture book for adults. Art was ok, but colorful and diverse at least.
Aric
Nov 12, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Nice art but otherwise...

I'm an introvert but this just does not speak to me. Perhaps it is too female centric.
I must state that I am glad I purchased it on sale. If I paid more, I would probably not be very happy.
Wonderful artwork though but that is hardly ever my primary reason to pick up a book unless the artist is the caliber of say Van Gogh.
Sarah Lane
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful art.
San Francisco Book Review
With all the social conventions and outside obligations we put on ourselves, sometimes it’s nice to have an excuse to stay in. A celebration for all the self-proclaimed “introverts” out there, this book will remind you that you are not alone. 41 Reason’s I’m Staying In: A Celebration of Introverts is the perfect check-off list for anyone looking for that new excuse to stay home. With excuses ranging from the plausible to the lavishly hilarious, the book will help any reader find a commonality wi ...more
Jordana
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is certainly not your traditional book - so if you're expecting to be reading a lot of words, change that expectation. It is, however, FULL of beautiful illustrations that the author both ideated and illustrated herself that have so many small intricacies and details that you'll discover something new each time you look through the book.

The attention to detail is so beautiful and clever. You really find yourself immersed into the worlds of each introvert. I love that this really celebr
Peter Geyer
In the current coronavirus situation, many people are struggling with what's called lockdown (a prison term, which doesn't help). Hallie Heald illustrates 41 reasons for her to stay inside, an advantage being that she's living by herself, at least in this fantasy.

For some introverts, part of the problem with staying inside can be other people, particularly those whose boundaries are not distant enough at timesor the lack of space. A back yard or garden can be an advantage.

The cover of the book
Bookworm
Jun 07, 2019 rated it liked it
I'm an introvert and loved the the book's concept. I've seen a few books along this genre: some that went deeper into introversion, some that are more like graphic novels. The cover art looked great, and it seemed like right up my alley.

The book is what it says on the cover. It's basically a a bunch of illustrations with one word reasons. What you see on the cover is similar to what you'll get in the book's pages. It isn't text heavy at all and so it's really up to each reader. I'd argue that it
ricardo
42: writing book reviews

This is brilliant. Okay, not really but it was funny! Reminds me of all the ideas (though not as impressive) I had to come up with in order to get out of doing things with friends.

This book isn’t all that special and is not a book for children. They probably won’t understand it and it’s intended humor. If you thought “hey, look pictures! My kids would like it” you’re totally wrong but since you already have the book then you already know but if you stumble upon this rev
Kendi Rainwater
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is one of the most creative, witty and beautiful books on my shelf! The author/illustrator provides a peek into 41 different lives by elaborately capturing the intimate, humorous and eccentric details of their bedrooms. The illustrations are so detailed that every time I open it to a page I notice something I hadn't before. (It's like an adult "I Spy" with sophisticated humor.)

I've given this book as a gift to several people (extroverts included) and each has enjoyed flipping through t
Emily
Jan 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Too many people are rating this book for not being something they erroneously expected it to be. It's a work of art in the form of a picture book and I absolutely love it. The gorgeous details remind me of the books I loved as a child, with scenes that are both delightfully absurd and relatable to me as an adult, each giving you time to imagine the story of each character as you take in detail of each illustration. I want a world with more beautiful picture books like this one that adults can en ...more
Ali Minetree
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This illustrated book is an absolute treasure! Hallie did a beautiful and meticulous job on each and every drawing. As an introvert who loves Where’s Waldo books as a child, this was like a grown-up version. I spent over an hour picking out each and every humorous detail! Truly an original work with a surprisingly dark humor that will crack you up. Definitely recommend!
Libby Mathews-May
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Do not read this book.
It is awful.
These excuses are preposterous.
I certainly would not use a single one.

But, please please please do not read this book, especially if you plan to be among the next eighty two encouraging extroverts (what?! I like to recycle an idea as much as anyone) to attempt to embolden me into the world.
Danielle
I'm not exactly sure what I expected this to be, but I definitely wasn't expecting a book that was essentially just a list of 41 very random things introverts could be doing at home. The pictures were fun to look at, but I am thoroughly disappointed with this book. I really thought there would be more substance to this book. A huge let-down. ...more
OHBIofficial
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As fellow introverts, we absolutely love this book! Hallie perfectly captures the essence of an introverts inner thoughts when it comes to being socially drained and having to come up with a reason to stay home. This book is filled with beautiful art work and a peek into an introverts mind.
Erin
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this by commenting on a FB post from Julie Scelfo. While I love it as a book form, I’m also super tempted to cut out some of the illustrations to hang as art prints in my house. Cute and so relatable!
Lorie
Apr 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Hallie Heald is an introvert and she has many reasons why she staying in. All illustrated by Hallie Heald. Looking at the details in all the drawings and laughing at the jokes I get and puzzling over those I don't. :) ...more
Sharon
Nov 18, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Screwed up editor

Once you got to “jamming” (which apparently editor didn’t notice was in twice) the pictures didn’t coordinate with the excuse, the picture came first, throwing the whole thing off for rest of book.
Honore
Aug 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The text is super short and I finished the book in one afternoon in the park. The art is wonderful, wonderful, wonderful! The little thumbnail of a cover does not due it justice. I'm definitely checking out her other work. ...more
Cheyenne
Oct 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I thought this was hilarious, and the amount of detail on each page was amazing. The rooms really help you understand the character in each of them, and I was laughing out loud and trying to figure out which one I related to the most. Highly recommend!
Etienne
Mar 13, 2021 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Lighter then I thought it would be even for this kind of book. Very womanly orientated and the introverts elements are more absurd then anything else so I didn't really related to them. Not what I was expecting and not really worth it! ...more
Fiza Pirani
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a lovely little illustration book. New add to my coffee book collection.

• Just Peachy: Comics About Depression, Anxiety, Love, and Finding the Humor in Being Sad
  • Slothilda: Living the Sloth Life
  • Introvert Doodles: An Illustrated Collection of Life's Awkward Moments
  • The Escape Manual for Introverts
  • Text, Don't Call: An Illustrated Guide to the Introverted Life
  • This Book Wants to Make You Laugh (Living Book 2)
  • Kind of Coping: An Illustrated Look at Life with Anxiety
  • Sabrina the Teenage Witch
  • Happily Ever After & Everything In Between
  • I Left The House Today!
  • Book Love
  • Abridged Classics: Brief Summaries of Books You Were Supposed to Read but Probably Didn't
  • The Seed of Compassion: Lessons from the Life and Teachings of His Holiness the Dalai Lama
  • Vlad the Rad