Start by marking “Forgotten City” as Want to Read:
Forgotten City

Forgotten City

Survival is just the beginning in this action-packed middle grade adventure that’s Mad Max for kids.

Thirteen years ago, the world ended. A deadly chemical called Waste began to spread across the globe, leaving devastation in its wake. Millions died. Cities fell into chaos. Anything the Waste didn’t kill, it mutated into threatening new forms.

Kobi has always believed he
Published October 9th 2018 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Forgotten City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forgotten City

Start your review of Forgotten City
Ms. Yingling
Jul 31, 2018 rated it liked it
E ARC from Edelweiss Plus

Kobi and his father, Jonathan Hales, have lived in an abandoned school in Seattle since the Waste devastated the world around the time Kobi was born. There are no other survivors, unless you count bears, wolves, giant rats, and the horrible, predatory Chokerplant. There are also flying Snatchers, machines that pick infected animals up from the ground and might take humans if they are not careful. When his father gets very ill because of the Waste seeping into their
Mark Buxton
Mar 28, 2019 rated it liked it
My name is Kobi, and Seattle's been overrun by the Waste. Scientists thought they were solving the world's problems, but they only managed to create genetically freaky plants and animals. My father's been gone for too long now, so I ventured into the streets in search of him. I wasn't successful, but I never expected to come upon other survivors! The three kids said they live with a bunch of doctors, but the most surprising thing was learning about their abilities. They said the spores have ...more
VIBookCrate
So many thoughts and feelings tangled in his mind, such deep confusion, but the foremost was betrayal. The man in the hologram was talking to his father, he was calling him Jon. And that meant one thing…

In the Waste-infected ruins of Seattle, Kobi and his dad have to fight every day to survive. They are alone in a dangerous new world, filled with mutated creatures and deadly technology… Or so Kobi thought.

All it takes is the arrival of other humans, other kids like himself, and Kobi’s whole
Zhixian Hu
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A harmful chemical called “Waste” spread out all of the world. Kobi, an 11-year-old boy, believes he and his Dad are the only two survivors. Once his Dad went out from their home--a deserted school, but he never comes back. Then on his journey to find his Dad, he meets some partners his age and he discovers many secrets that are deadlier that the “Waste”.

My favourite part of this book are those twists and turns. You can never predict what will happen on next page or chapter. Also, the theme of
Karen
Jul 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-2020-msba
This 2019-2020 Maine Student Book Award nomination is a tale of dystopian survival. Scientists tried to genetically engineer crops to deal with food shortages and something went awry and now most of the world has been overtaken by "Waste." Cities are buried under vines and predatory mutated animals roam the streets. Kobi seems to be immune to Waste and his scientist Dad is trying to find the cure while avoiding "Snatcher" drones and waste-infected flora and fauna. Reads like the first in a ...more
Zak
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the Forgotten City. It had an interesting plot that had to do with a post apocalyptic world and surviving in it. I thought the character development was well written and the story was complex but easy to understand. The adventure Kobi had to go on with his new friends to find his missing dad made for a great story I would definitely read again.
Tracey
Exciting adventure in a post-apocalyptic society where the world has been decimated by something called Waste. Or has it? Middle grade readers won't be able to put this one down (I couldn't either--it was the book I was reading during lunch at work, but I had to take it home and finish it) and they will eagerly await the next book.
Tracie
Nov 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: adventure, j, sci-fi
Kobi and his dad are the only survivors of an environmental disaster. While searching for his missing father, Kobi runs into some other kids and realizes that everything he thought he knew may be a lie.
Emily
May 11, 2019 rated it liked it
I don't think science works like that, but okay. Also, so many weird revelations towards the end! Would give to kids who are too young for the Maze Runner and the Boys of Fire and Ash but want a dystopian-feeling survival book with a little bit of corporate/fake-science intrigue.
Lynn
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lillybug
Oct 30, 2018 rated it liked it
I won this book on Goodreads and both myself and my 11 year old son read it. I think it's a great book for kids, filled with lots of action and adventure. It seemed more like a J (elementary/middle school age) book than a teen. Loved the ending!
Nhi
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: msba
Really fast paced and entertaining.
Alessa
Jun 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Great for 9-12 year olds who really want to read the Maze Runner, or something like it.
PWRL
Jul 25, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-new
E
Stephanie Mcconachie
Fun, fast pace apocalypse book! Survive the mutated plants and animals just to find a conspiracy even deadlier!
Heather Rauch
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fun youth dystopian novel. Interesting premise and characters.
Cassaundra Robertson
Absolutely loved this book! Lots of great plot twists that I DID NOT see coming. Great book for advanced juv readers, YA and adult.
An action-packed middle grade sci-fi adventure with a potetnial sequel to follow.
Liliana Lorraine
Trisha
good balance of action and emotion.
Nancy
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Exciting science fiction full of adventure, creepy mutants and twists and turns. Couldn't put it down! Not for the timid reader.
Paula Bannon
« previous 1 3 next »

• Game Changer
  • Winnie's Great War
  • Class Action
  • Arlo Finch in the Valley of Fire (Arlo Finch, #1)
  • The Season of Styx Malone
  • The Mad Wolf's Daughter (Mad Wolf's Daughter #1)
  • Lifeboat 12
  • Skylark and Wallcreeper
  • One True Way
  • The House in Poplar Wood
  • Journey of the Pale Bear
Note: There are more than one Michael Ford (or similar names) on GR’s database.
This is the “catch-all” profile.

Michael Ford - Fiction (The Poisoned House, Spartan Warriors Series)
Michael Ford - Religion and Spirituality