Start by marking “From the Borderlands: Stories of Terror and Madness (Borderlands, # 5)” as Want to Read:
From the Borderlands: Stories of Terror and Madness (Borderlands, # 5)

From the Borderlands: Stories of Terror and Madness

(Borderlands #5)

The editors of the acclaimed Borderlands anthology series deliver a new collection of 25 all-original tales of terror by today's acclaimed masters, including Bentley Little, John Farris, and Tom Piccirilli, along with "Stationary Bike," a new novella by Stephen King.
Mass Market Paperback, 429 pages
Published September 1st 2004 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about From the Borderlands, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From the Borderlands

C.
Jun 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
I’m sure almost all writers out there--at least, those who were writing in the 1990s and the earlier part of the 2000s--can tell you they had their list. The list consisted of those top few magazines or anthologies they submitted to on a regular basis, just praying for their shot at “the big time”. For me, one of those publications was always the BORDERLANDS anthology, edited by Elizabeth E. and Thomas F. Monteleone. I can’t tell you how many times I submitted to this thing, and never once made ...more
Tiffany Koss Galica
Jul 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Very good collection of modern horror stories. I could have done without the little excerpt from the editor before each story though. It seemed very self fulfilling- mostly about who they discovered and who they should have discovered. Worth the read-- some creepy stuff.
William
Pretty good collection of stories. There were the usual losers that you find in a collection such as this but there were some real gems as well. The Goat, Prisoner 392 and Story Time with the Bluefield Strangler all come to mind as good reads.
Tamara
Aug 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
It's the Best of the best from the incredible Borderlands Anthologies. The stories contained within will stay with you for a very long time!
Kevin Lucia
Apr 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Excellent. Anyone wishing to broaden their horror horizons - writers or readers - would do well to pick up this whole series.
Bill Gauthier
Jul 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommends it for: Almost everyone
Shelves: mywriting
My story "The Growth of Alan Ashley" is in this book. It pretty much gave me a career.
Michael Tildsley
Apr 01, 2017 rated it really liked it

This collection of twenty-five short stories had a lot of interesting entries. Even the ones I didn't fall in love with, for the most part, kept me thinking for a while after finishing them. I like stories like that.

This collection really shows you the twisted side of humanity that lurks in most of us just below the civilized surface. I think understanding this is important. Identifying with the monster is often the best way to understand the monster...and also a how-to on not becoming
Blair
Aug 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This collection was so fun! It helps that variety permeates the book - short stories of varying length, each written in a noticeably different style. Not ALL of the stories are of exceptional quality, but the best ones amply compensate for that. I found "Prisoner 392" by John F. Merz so fun and perfectly paced for its length. Brett Alexander Savory's "Slipknot" is a great piece about Poe-esque madness. Not all of the tales are truly horror. Some of them aren't truly horror in terms of genre. Som ...more
Vince Darcangelo
Faves:

Gary A. Braunbeck: "Rami Temporalis"

Holly Newstein: "Faith Will Make You Free"

Adam Corbin Fusco: "N0072-JK1"

Brian Freeman: "Answering the Call"

Dominick Cancilla: "Smooth Operator"

Bentley Little: "The Planting"

John McIlveen: "Infliction"

Gene O'Neill: "Magic Numbers"

Tom Piccirilli: "Around it Still the Sumac Grows"

Bev Vincent: "One of Those Weeks"
Emily
Feb 20, 2008 added it
stories of terror and madness--yes!!
Daniel
Apr 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Scary and bizzare tales that were great to read
David Richardson
Jun 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
A lot of good stories in this volume. Most are not really scary, just disturbing.
Lunar Snowflake
Jun 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
You can tell how well I enjoyed a book by how long it took me to read. This one, clock in at 20 days. Now given your own opinion & reading speed that could be either fast or slow, for me, it's slow. Very slow. I've read books several inches thicker than this one in far less time. A book of short stories like this should have taken me no more than 2-3 days, through the week. But here we are. Nearly three weeks after my beginning it. I'm finally finished.

Given how much the editors talked this
Miranda Kate
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: stephen-king
I bought this book several years ago solely for the Stephen King tale, which I had already read when I came to read the entire book this year. The front cover promises tales of Madness and Terror, and personally that was left wanting.

I am an avid horror reader and have read many tales on madness (those by Kev Hammond in particular are exceptional) and I didn't find any of them in this collection that were madness or terror filled, but maybe I am a little desensitized or my taste too specific.

I d
Erik M
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
Eh. Some stories were great, but so many left me cool or just unhappy with the time spent reading them. And it certainly took me quote a while to plow thru this. I kept putting it down, lacking any driving motivation to finish or than to get it off my "currently reading" list.

I think it's because many of the stories have a brand of "horror" that isn't something I like - somewhat real-world pervy "human horror" as opposed to the supernatural. The stories that stood out as exceptional, aside from
Ryan Pidhayny
Borderlands 5 is a middling anthology, both as an entry in the series and more generally. It wasn't particularly bad but also wasn't particularly good. The standout stories for me were "Rami Temporalis" by Gary Braunbeck, "The Thing Too Hideous to Describe" by David J. Schow, and "Head Music" by Lon Prater.
L.
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Good stuff.
Donald
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, kindle, shorts
Great collection of fiction from a great collection of authors. Not easily boxed into one genre.
wendy
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
i FINALLY finished this book!!! for some reason i stopped reading. first time since i learned to read. so strange. didn't love the book so that didn't help but still...
David
Oct 30, 2008 rated it liked it
I struggled a bit with my rating for this book. Overall I liked it and there were some truly excellent stories here. However, there were also a few stories that just didn't grab me. Among other things, there are some stories in this collection told in second person -- a technique that just doesn't work for me. (The problem is that I've yet to see a second-person story that convinced me that I was the "you" in the story and I'm afraid the second-person stories in this collection were no exception ...more
Valerie Zink
Jun 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
There were some awesome ones (mostly good ones) and a few head scratchers, but overall I liked this collection. I do not tend to like short stories as a genre as much as I like novels, so that is why I was reading this one for months, but I do like horror short stories!

My favorites:
Rami Temporalis ( I liked enough to look for novels from the author and they are out there! Gary Braunbeck)
Time for Me (being a teacher myself, I really understand where this is coming from!)
Prisoner 392
Answering the
Geoff
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is collection of short stories. The emphasis would be on weird fiction, even though anything goes in this book. Some horror, some fantastical, some satires, etcetera. A lot of good names here: Stephen King, Tom Piccirilli, Whitley Strieber and Gary Braunbeck. In fact there were a lot of authors in this collection that I read regularly, so it was very easy for me to enjoy this volume. An easy read at around 300 pages, which was a perfect length, and I zipped through it in a couple of days. T ...more
Donald
Mar 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
I picked this up because of Stephen King, and his novella "Stationary Bike" really resonated with me on many levels. The rest of this collection is a big ol' meh. Not to be a jerk, as I certainly can't write at all, but I would like to see how bad the entries that weren't chosen were! A story like "All Hands" is the type I like least - no explanation at all for what occurs in it! And "Rami Temporais" is a closely disliked second type for me - the explanation exists in the story, but it makes no ...more
Alex
This anthology has a couple dozen weird stories, most by authors I've never heard of but also one by Stephen King. As with most collections, the stories vary in quality. "All Hands", "N0072-JKI", and "The Thing Too Hideous to Describe" were amusingly offbeat. Favorites for me were "Answering the Call", "Smooth Operator", "Head Music", and "One of Those Weeks". Least favs: "Time for Me", "Around It Still the Sumac Grows", and "Father Bob and Bobby". The Weirdest: "The Food Processor"-- in a class ...more
Shannon
Jun 13, 2016 rated it liked it
I was interested in reading this compilation of short horror stories as it included Stationary Bike by Stephen King. I liked Stationary Bike. It was a cool story for lack of a better word, and there were others I enjoyed as well. I especially liked Rami Temporalis by Gary Braunbeck and The Planting by Bentley Little. Most of the other stories were just mediocre. Creepy, yes, but nothing that blew my skirt up.
innae
Aug 09, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror
Finally finished reading this. Obviously there was a reason it took so long. Many of the stories are just not to my liking.

I did like The Food Processor because it was sick and wrong...

and I LOVED Stationary Bike which is Stephen King's addition to this anthology.

So many of the stories were just WEIRD. and would mean more thought than I want to put into stories at this point in my life
Gevera Bert
Feb 14, 2013 rated it liked it
There were too many second-person stories. I've always thought that constantly reading "you" breaks the mood, especially if the character is not generic. If the "you" is a 16 year old girl (as it was in one case) it's hard to identify with when the you, you, you is pushed constantly at the reader.
The Stephen King story was pretty awesome.
Renee
Dec 31, 2011 rated it did not like it
I didn't like this book very much, I expected the stories to be really scary, since that was what the foreword implied. However, the endings of almost every story made no sense to me and never wrapped anything up. Also there was a lot of really disturbing sexual scenes which weren't necessary at all to the stories. It took me forever to get through this book.
Waven
Apr 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Worth 3.5 stars, really, but I rounded up. It is a collection of somewhat odd stories, some better than others, but overall of decent quality. It would be fine for a boring flight, waiting room visit, or rainy weekend - a good bargain bin find but nothing I would go out of my way for.
Joy Marie Trevino
May 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
These stories were definitely weird. My favorites included "Faith Will Make You Free" by Holly Newstein, "Time For Me" by Barry Hoffman, "The Goat" by Whitt Pond, "Prisoner 392" by Jon F. Merz, "Answering The Call" by Brian Freeman, and "Stationary Bike" by Stephen King.
  • Best New Horror 21 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #21)
  • Dark Delicacies (Dark Delicacies, #1)
  • Inferno: New Tales of Terror and the Supernatural
  • Four Dark Nights
  • Night Visions: The Hellbound Heart
  • Under the Fang
  • D.O.A. II - Extreme Horror Collection
  • Witch High
  • Horrors! 365 Scary Stories
  • Haunted: Dark Delicacies III (Dark Delecacies, #3)
  • After Death...