Start by marking “Jack of Thorns (Inheritance, #1)” as Want to Read:
Jack of Thorns (Inheritance, #1)

Jack of Thorns

(Inheritance #1)

Florist. Psychic. Addict.
Laurence Riley coasts by on good looks and natural charm, but underneath lies a dark chasm that neither heroin nor lovers can fill. Sobriety is a pipe dream which his stalker ex-boyfriend is pushing him away from. Luckily, Laurence has powers most can only dream of. If only he could control them.

Aristocrat. Psychic. Survivor.
Quentin d'A
Kindle Edition, 2 edition, 442 pages
Published September 20th 2017 by LoveLight Press (first published May 13th 2016)

Start your review of Jack of Thorns (Inheritance, #1)
Dia
I almost DNF this one. If I wasn't so focused on finishing all the books I read, no matter how boring, well I would have definitely given up on this one.
It was a freebie on Amazon when I got it and I told myself why not, let's try new books from unknown to me authors.
This story was a miss for me and I can't really say what bugged me the most. The beginning was interesting enough. I really thought it will keep me interested but then it all went downhill. I didn't like the MCs, I didn't like the
Melanie (mells_view)
Unfortunately this story was just not for me. I think there was a good concept and an interesting way of colliding addictions and troubles with a paranormal/mythical aspect. Sadly though, I didn’t connect with any of the characters. Although they do each have interesting stories, I found it a bit hard to get through the book itself to learn more, and then the end being a cliffhanger ending it kind of left me wanting, but not wanting enough to continue on with the series.

I think that the copy I r
fleurette
May 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
I'm done with this one. I've read about one third of the book but there is no need to push myself to go any further.

Let's be honest, this book is just boring. It's drags on and on until you no longer care about anything. The characters are generally quite nice. But it's hard to attach to them. Quentin is sometimes a caricature of himself, and his manner of speaking is awfully artificial. He may have some very difficult and dark past, but somewhere in the meantime I've lost any desire to get to
Mandapanda
Nov 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
4.5 stars. Loved it! One of those books where I was glued to the pages from just a few paragraphs in. I was so impressed with the way it starts out as a contemporary romance and bit by bit the little holes in the story are filled with magic. Both the characters are appealing and complex. The slow-burn romance is torture! (the good kind) There's mystery and some sadness in their backstories and all the questions are only partly resolved at the end. Great writing and great story. I've already star ...more
Drianne
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a frustrating book, in a lot of ways. It was very long, which is good, but the story felt sort of incomplete, even for a 'you have to keep reading' series. The amount of angst in the characters' backgrounds was *ridiculous* (content note: heroin addiction, alcoholism, past child abuse, past sexual abuse?, threatened sexual assault, dissociation and some mental illness). The Love Interest is sex-repulsed asexual currently because of trauma (but is attracted to the MC and doesn't realize ...more
Suzzle
May 22, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Terrible. (And HYPED)
Words actually fail me. So I'm going with some quotes…
Quentin referring to a mobile phone: "One does not have such a device." Quentin, instead of saying yes: "Quite so." or "Ostensibly." Quentin generally: "Oh, not you, dear boy." etc. etc. etc.
Nobody talks like that! Nobody! Not even an earl. Not even the queen. He never says "I" once. He always refers to himself as "One." It's utterly ridiculous. It sounds like 12 year old pretending to be posh.
This is supposed to be a con
Meep
Apr 21, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: promo-deals, dnf
This was awful, I really tried and pushed on but by 57% decided life was far too short for me to finish this.

One of the characters is English. I was extremely shocked to find the author is British. Assumed it was written by someone with only a cartoon view of what Britain is like, who'd possibly o'd on cheesy sixties/seventies tv series; though to be honest 'old boy' one fears even the poshest of those lordly specimens didn't talk anything like the quintessential Quentin. It's supposed to be a c
Kaje Harper
This was a fun read, especially once I got a bit further into it. The blend of paranormal and old gods is somewhat unique. Lawrence is a nicely complex character, a man with odd inherited talents, and a great mother who is nonetheless very reticent, failing to tell him things he really needs to know. His potential that is starting to unfold scares him, and his addiction history is both a source of shame and a siren call he fights every day.

Lawrence works in his mother's flower shop, where their
Linda ~ they got the mustard out! ~

A story set in San Diego written by someone who actually knows San Diego.

I was fully prepared to have to relive some really bad geography, ala Everything Changes by Melanie Hansen, but by the time chapter five or so rolled around, I knew I was in good hands. I even learned something about that ginormous tree in the middle of Balboa Park (because she's right; locals totally don't read those tourist signs, lol). Woot!

Now onto stuff other readers will actually care about. :D The world-buil
Tami Veldura
Wow.

Go get this book. It releases on the 13th and you want it. If you've ever bought a book on my recommendation before, you NEED this book.

First, I can't believe I've never read anything by Amelia before. She's made my auto-buy list from the first chapter. This book is THAT good. I'll be grabbing her entire backlist the second I get paid. You should too.

Jack of Thorns has an amazing voice. The characters have secrets. Their secrets have secrets. And that's hard to pull off when at least two of
Claire Chibi
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a really great read! The writing style was lovely and I absolutely flew through this book. Even with the fantasy elements, the story was very grounded, the lessons taught and the struggles of the characters were completely applicable to real life.

This book deals with many important issues such as trauma and addiction, which is great since those are afflictions that are so often stigmatized and misunderstood. (view spoiler)
Alaina
I have received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Jack of Thorns seemed like a pretty interesting book when I came across it. It honestly was just an okay book (at least for me). Of course the cliffhanger ending makes me want to dive into the next book just to see what the heck is going to happen next... but at the same time - I'd be okay if I never saw the second book in my life?

In it, you will meet Quentin and Laurence. Both guys are simply adorable and quite easy to shi
JR
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: to anyone
Lawrence Riley runs a florist shop with his mom in San Diego. He suffers from drug addiction, which has led to numerous rehab attempts. One night he prays to his pagan gods to help him get his act together. When one appears, Lawrence is ecstatic, however there is always a price. Lawrence doesn't know if he is willing to pay that price.

Lord Banbury aka Quentin, is a product of English wealth and status. On the run from his past, his arrival in San Diego is met with the paparazzi and lavish life
Fani
Feb 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, safe
“Woo me, Quen. I’m obviously worth it.”

It’s been a while since I read a book so fast, as soon as I picked “Jack of Thorns” I couldn’t stop reading it. Quentin of course was my favorite character, before he met Laurence he lived a very lonely life but his aristocratic upbringing has trained him to appear confident at all times. His closed off personality might have made it difficult for Laurence to come close to him, but nonetheless it was really funny to see him being out of place in
E.
★★,5☆☆ | Original take on Urban Fantasy but tinted with Livejournal type depth…

“He had a god in his fucking shop.”

➽ SUMMARY

> M/M Romance
> Drug & Alcohol Addiction
> Slow Burn
> Poor Boy/ Rich Boy
> Plants
> Paganism

Lawrence saw the future and it’s not looking good. The deal he made with Jack, a pagan god, to get his life under control for the small price of keeping him fed is turning on him quite rapidly and developing a crush on a man he can only dream of does not help at all. Will he get a hol
DarkHeraldMage
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to DarkHeraldMage by: amelia
I went into this book unsure of what to expect, as many times m/m relationships can be problematic and awkward. I was so pleasantly surprised to find characters that were far more than two dimensional, didn't fit into boxes that others might try to define them by, and genuinely grew (both separately and together) as their stories evolved. With some great fantasy elements included, this is only the first in a series and I've already got book two queued up and ready to go next. I can't sit around ...more
Elena
What a great start to the series!
It wasn’t at all like I expected and in this case it’s definitely a good thing.
A good thing apart from the detailed description of (view spoiler), which gave me pause during the prologue because I wasn’t expecting it. There’s a warning at the end of the blurb about “mature themes and events which may be distressing to some readers”, but nothing specific so be aware that the most recurring “distressing” theme is (view spoiler)
Barb ~rede-2-read~
This was an interesting, fast-paced fantasy about Laurence Riley, a young man who operates a florist shop with his psychically gifted mom and pretty much coasts along through life knowing he needs to get his act together but struggling to figure out how. He is also psychically gifted—with visions of future events that tend to come to reality.

Desperate for a positive change, Laurence invokes his magic abilities and calls for help from a fertility god. What he gets is Jack—green-eyed, self-posses
Anna Goerlitz
*A free copy of this book was given to me by the author, in exchange for an honest review.*

Laurence is a wreck. A heroine addict living day to day, getting by in life stoned most of the time, relying on his charms, his good looks and willingness to sleep with anything that moves. He has psychic powers, but no control over them or his life in general.

Quentin / Banbury is a wreck too. Another addict, an alcoholic. Quentin flees his past and future quite literally by moving to a new location every
Lori S.
One has had enough of this story. Definitely not one's cuppa.
Jenni Lea

Well, that was just fabulous. Though Quentin's use of the word "one" drove me bonkers and I wanted to call Child Protective Services on Laurence's mother, I found the characters endearing and just a smidge pocket-worthy.

Joel Leslie's narration was, once again, flawless.

On to book two...
Corrie DeWolfe (Corrie's Book Nook)
I received a copy of Jack of Thorns from the publishers, via NetGalley. Originally out in 2016, they re-released the series with new covers. I thank the publishers, Amelia Faulkner, and NetGalley, for providing me this copy to read and review. All opinions are my own.

I hate to say this, but, I DNF'd Jack of Thorns at around 30%. And I was disappointed by that because the premise sounded interesting.

The total lack of communication, or even miscommunication, between Lawrence and Branbury was pain
Jovan
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5

I thoroughly enjoyed this blend of contemporary romance and paranormal fantasy. I’ve read a lot of paranormal/supernatural fiction and haven't come across one recently that allows the everyday aspects of life—friendship, pain, doubt and all the other highs and lows of living—to take precedence over the paranormal elements in the story, part of the reason I enjoyed it so much. The main focus is on the struggles and personal demons each man faces rather than relying on all the “fantastical” ele
Carra
Jan 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, I have to admit-I usually prefer a LOT of romance in my books, regardless of any other genre that a story might be a part of, and I don't necessarily mean in terms of the physical. Most of the romantic parts of this story are confined to the unrequited...with a teensy, tiny bit of hope...and yet the paranormal aspects of this book were plenty to keep my interest most of the way through.

Now, yes-I did say "most of the way". There were some times, mostly in the first half of the story, wher
Brian Turner
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
One look at the cover and I'm thinking "teen urban fantasy" and "gay romance" - neither being genres I'd normally give a second glance.

However, the first line of the description caught my attention:

"Florist. Psychic. Addict."

And the opening sample hooked me with its smooth and fluid writing and immediate sense of tension.

This was not the book I was expecting. It was far, far better.

Firstly, it's intelligent. Laurence isn't a recovering heroin addict, he's still a heroin addict - just between fix
Tamara
May 30, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this ARC for a honest review. I really excited to read this book. Very rarely do I read a m/m paranormal romance book that is not focus on shifters (mostly werewolves) or vampires. So, I liked this book. I didn't love it but I think there is potential for the series.

The Good
- The MCs were not werewolves, vampires, and/or a ghost lover. I know I said this in the first paragraph but this is important.
- Laurence and his mom. They were awesome. I kinda wish this wasn't a paranormal roman
DeeNeez
May 10, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: free-read, glbt, arc, 2016
Here is an interesting fantasy paranormal story. We have two individuals Quentin (English lord) and Lawrence (doped-out florist) from very different cultures drawn together, only to find out they have something very much in common. They both have super powers, yet undeveloped. When Lawrence accidentaly calls forth the god Jack/The Green Man, chaos ensues. Survival now depends on their learning to develop their powers to defeat Jack.

All the characters were great. You can't help but hate all the b
Lissel
I had trouble getting into the story. I’m not sure if it was because of the narrative or just the plot that didn’t seem to interest me. The MC’s didn’t help the cause. Laurence was just not my type and Quentin annoyed me a little, what with the ridiculous way he talked. It really got on my nerves. I didn’t feel the connection between the main characters, and I didn’t feel threatened by the supposed villain or bad guy.

Half way I was pretty disenchanted, after reading so many good reviews, and I

• A Ferry of Bones & Gold (Soulbound, #1)
  • All Souls Near & Nigh (Soulbound, #2)
  • SPECTR: The Complete First Series (Spectr, #1-6)
  • A Villain for Christmas
  • Loser Takes All (Up-Ending Tad: A Journey of Erotic Discovery, #1)
  • Unscripted Love (Road to Blissville, #1)
  • The Witch's Blood (The Ellwood Chronicles #3)
  • In the Shadows (Metahuman Files, #3)
  • The Enchanter's Flame (The Ellwood Chronicles #1)
  • Next to Nothing (The Chosen One #3)
  • The Alpha and His King (Kincaid Pack #1)
  • The Vampire's Club: Book Four (The Vampire's Club #4)
  • Stalked by Shadows (A Simply Crafty Paranormal Mystery, #1)
  • His Consort (House of Maedoc, #1)
  • Spectred Isle (Green Men, #1)
  • Someone to Call My Own (Road to Blissville, #2)
  • The Solstice Prince (Realms of Love, #1)
  • Dark Space (Dark Space, #1)
Amelia Faulkner was born in Thame, Oxfordshire, and sprouted upward in short order. The ground around Thame is reasonably mucky, especially in the winter, and she can’t be blamed for wanting to get away from it.

Raised on a steady diet of Star Trek and Doctor Who, Amelia stood no chance in not becoming a grade-A geek. She has sat on the board of the British Fantasy Society, contributed fiction and

Inheritance (7 books)
  • Knight of Flames (Inheritance, #2)
  • Lord of Ravens (Inheritance, #3)
  • Reeve of Veils (Inheritance, #4)
  • Page of Tricks (Inheritance, #5)
  • Rites of Winter (Inheritance #6)
  • Sigils of Spring (Inheritance #7)

News & Interviews

“cellphone.” 0 likes
“Time was such an odd thing. Everything depended on it, and yet it cared for nothing. It was in some sense the ultimate apex predator, shaping all landscapes and yet consuming all who lived within it.” 0 likes