Start by marking “The Mermaid's Voice Returns in This One (Women Are Some Kind of Magic, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Mermaid's Voice Returns in This One (Women Are Some Kind of Magic, #3)

The Mermaid's Voice Returns in This One

(Women Are Some Kind of Magic #3)

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  5,665 ratings  ·  1,108 reviews
Goodreads Choice Award-winning poet and USA TODAY bestselling author Amanda Lovelace presents the mermaid’s voice returns in this one — the third and final installment in her “women are some kind of magic” series, featuring a foreword from Lang Leav and 13 guest poems from leading voices in poetry such as Nikita Gill, KY Robinson, and Orion Carloto.

The mermaid
Published March 5th 2019

To ask other readers questions about The Mermaid's Voice Returns in This One, please sign up.
Mia (A Happy Little Bookworm) I would say that those in the middle to upper end of that age range should be able to enjoy and understand this book thoroughly (i.e. 14-17). The…moreI would say that those in the middle to upper end of that age range should be able to enjoy and understand this book thoroughly (i.e. 14-17). The messages are very important and relevant currently, and for this reason I would hesitate to deny anyone the joy of reading this book. That being said, it can be hard to read at times and the author speaks from a very personal place so I think it depends greatly on the maturity of the children.(less)

·  5,665 ratings  ·  1,108 reviews

Start your review of The Mermaid's Voice Returns in This One (Women Are Some Kind of Magic, #3)
♡ ᴅ ʀ ᴇ ᴀ ᴍ ♡

and that
fricking
annoys
me.

- how can you call it a poetry when you don’t even know how to write one.

The Princess Saves Herself in This One (#1) : review
The Witch Doesn't Burn in This One (#2) : review
The M/>

-/>the
Jessica
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I received an e-ARC of this book for free from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I give this book 3.5 stars which rounds up to 4.

This book is really similar to the other two books in this series. So if you liked those, then you’ll probably like this one. That being said, I still think her first book is the strongest.

The subject matter of the book is very timely. A large majority of the poems center on the Me Too movement.

description

making me
afraid to
stay
or go.

After how much I struggled with the middle book in this 'trilogy', I wasn't sure I wanted to read this newest and final installment, but friends' reviews were so positive that I finally decided I had to give
C.G. Drews
This is the last in the poetry series and I quite liked reading them altogether and seeing how they fit and complimented each other. I do feel the 1st one was my fave. This one was very raw and heartbreaking and my heart goes out to all the contributors. The writing felt a little disconnected to me (perhaps because it wasn't a sole author this time?) but like 🙌🏻 go people being vulnerable and the #metoo movement.
✨ A ✨
are still
toppling
mountain
ranges.

- you possess avalanches.

A powerful conclusion to this beautiful poetry collection series. I totally would not mind if Lovelace decided to continue these books, I adore them so much.

I know this type of poetry is not everyone's cup of tea but I have come to love it and it's all thanks to Amanda Lovelace and her words.

____
My reviews for:
My
Rachel Reads Ravenously
2 stars

It's really weird that I didn't like this book because I am absolutely gaga over the first two books in this series. Both were 5 star reads. But while those felt powerful and deeply moving, this one was repetitive to me and I found myself rolling my eyes.

Maybe this book caught me in a bitchy time, but this third book felt convoluted and fake to me. Maybe I'll reread it in the future and see if I just have a case of the crankies or something....

2 stars

Follow me on ♥ FacebookBlogInstagramTwitter
Aliza Stump
Jan 15, 2018 marked it as to-read
A third one? Yes, SIGN ME UP, please!
Konstantin
Jan 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Believe me, no one is as surprised as I am with this rating. I strongly disliked Lovelace's first book of poetry, finding the verses generic, shallow and just all around uninspiring; the second one I found better on the aesthetic part, but resented the strong misandric undertones; this one, however, was just up to my liking.

The calmer tone of this one, combined with themes of sexual harassment and self-acceptance woven through the poems in ways both subtle and not so subtle, suited m
Erin
Feb 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Thanks to NetGalley and Andrews McNeel Publishing for an epub in exchange for an honest review. All opinions expressed are entirely my own. Quotes are taken from the ARC and may not be on the same page number as the final edition

As an active member of the Goodreads community, I have been eyeing Amanda Lovelace's poetry works for some time. The Mermaid's Voice Returns in This One is the conclusion to her Women Are Some Kind of Magic trilogy. Much like ee cummings, lovelace writes all her poetry
Julia Sapphire
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-releases, verse, 2019
Big thank you to Andrews McMeel Publishing for sending me an early copy!!

For some background, I love Amanda Lovelace's books. This series starts with Princess and next is Witch and Mermaid is the finale (These are obviously short forms of the titles just an FYI). The previous two books are some of my favorite poetry collections ever. I have given them both high ratings and I love the messages in them. These collections do have a significant amount of intense content and messages in them
Janani(ஜனனி)
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
i'm convinced that the poetry will sing to you only when your soul is on the verge of falling apart. dare i say, i didn't feel anything now because my soul is kinda being cheery to the extent i hate it?
Cyrus Parker
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely fitting way to end the women are some kind of magic series.
helena
your voice could sink spaceships.

i really like amanda lovelace’s style and i just love the way this trilogy worked with the given themes to talk about very important issues. i love how her poems are so simple and say so much. at the same time, they have some king of magic (haha) inherent to them.
and it happened again with this one. but unfortunately, i’m taking one star because i felt she lost her grip with the mermaid theme half way in. those poems by other poets looked completely out of pl
Natasha
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
Review also on my blogTwitterBookstagram

You know that disappointed underwhelming feeling after reading a really lacklustre book? That’s how I felt about The Mermaids Voice. It was a lacklustre disappointment.

I personally really loved The Princess Saves Herself and I also enjoyed the followup The Witch Doesn’t Burn.

Maybe I saw this disappointment coming after To Make Monsters Out of Girls. I genuinely like modern poetry, however I find the Lovelace’s work feels extremely… repetit
Sophia Hanson
So honored to have a poem in this gorgeous collection alongside some of my favorite poets! Lift each other up, loves.
Brittney Andrews (beabookworm)
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Me, pretending to be a mermaid:
description

FYI: This is the final installment to Amanda Lovelace's Women Are Some Kind of Magic series, and I freaking loved it. The author poured her heart and soul and her voice into this one!

I don't know about you guys, but I *always* used to pretend that I was a mermaid when I was younger - whether it was in the pool, at the beach, bath time, the living room floor (wait, I mi
Noura Khalid (theperksofbeingnoura)
Thank you Netgalley and Andrew McMeel Publishing for sending a review copy in exchange for an honest review

The final book to join Amanda Lovelace’s collection Women Are Some Kind of Magic. I’ve read the previous two books and if I’m being honest I didnt enjoy them as much as I wanted to. This one on the other hand I liked more. I love how she includes trigger warnings in the beginning of her books, and I really appreciate how she deals with different themes. I loved the guest poems that she h
Rae
Feb 12, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
the mermaid's voice returns in this one by Amanda Lovelace is the third and final poetry book in the "women are some kind of magic series."

I enjoyed reading the mermaid's voice returns in this one. This was my first foray into Amanda Lovelace's poetry! Unfortunately, while I liked the poems, I can't say they blew me away.

I did appreciate the emotion behind the poems and the cadence and rhythm that some of them had while reading them out loud. My favorites:

"ho
Leona  Carstairs
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I read this in Barnes and Noble while waiting for my parents. It really focuses on healing from sexual violence which I think is very important. ❤
Prashasti
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
Each morning before school my mother did not feed me breakfast.
She fed me wisdom.
First, she brushed my hair with a fork.
Soon after, braids fell to my waist as she kissed the top of my head, whispering against it,
"now, don't you ever lean out of your window, and let it fall down.
You never know who will show up and climbclimbclimb on up.
Heed my advice: Even villains will go all dizzy and heart-eyed for you.
Do not ever become fooled by such trickery.
-Mother knows best

She
Lauren James
[Gifted]
A solid follow up to her other poetry, This is a quick and thoughtful read. It made me think. I love her approach to twisting fairy tales into feminist messages
Cora Tea Party Princess
I think I'm a little bit disappointed? I loved the first two volumes so much, but something about this one just fell flat. It would have been two stars if it wasn't for the excellent contributors, and that makes me sad.

Maybe it's just me?
Bookphenomena (Micky)
My first poetry by Amanda Lovelace (and others) but not my last. This was a powerful read, heartfelt and poignant. I felt like a bystander, powerless to help but willing to witness.

I loved the way the author was able to interweave the hideous hurt with restoration, healing and positivity, in just the right amounts. Nothing about any of the prose was flippant, even the healing better times were impactful.

I would call this inspirational but real. I was moved, I felt the emo
Mariah
"i watched
you watching me
wane. now, you have
no fucking choice
other than to
watch me
-become full.

Okay. I struggled a lot with this. I wanted to look at this collection objectively and in an isolated manner, however it is part of a series, so I do think it's fair to bring up the previous two titles.

We fought dragons with the princess in The Princess Saves Herlself in This One.
We used the fire designed to scorch us back against those who would watch us burn i/>-become
Emma
Jan 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

The Mermaid's Voice Returns in This One is the last book in Lovelace's Women Are Some Kind of Magic series.
I really appreciated how the author dealt with the theme of sexual assault and being both a victim and a survivor. I think it was really well done and I enjoyed all the poems about healing.

i don't write
what i write
to hurt you.

- i write what i write
to heal me.

This collec/>
Jane
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Once again Amanda Lovelace had me both crying and cheering at her words.
This the finale in her "women are some kind of magic" trilogy.
She writes about the power that is in women. That we are survivors.
This book has poetry about finding happiness in this world no matter what you have been through.
I also loved how she included other women poets. It was nice to discover some I had not yet heard of, but will definitely start to follow.
I can't say enough how much I enjoy her work.
Renata

the voices from
her nightmares
came crashing
Dannii Elle
I'm not going to provide a star rating as it feels odd to assign a number to this collection, given how personal its contents were, for me personally. It didn't impact me in quite the same way as the previous series instalments but I appreciate how raw and unfiltered this collection was.
Sage Elizabeth
1.) The Princess Saves Herself in This One ★★★★★
2.) The Witch Doesn't Burn in This One ★★★★★
Nicole
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First things first: I received this book through NetGalley

Oh gosh, I just finished this and it was just so damn beautiful. Seriously. This is the first Amanda Lovelace poetry that I have read (I have 'the princess saves herself in this one' at home, but I haven't picked it up yet but I totally will do that SOON).

Her writing is beautiful. Of course not every poem worked for me or touched me the same that all the others did. BUT MAN, everything was just beautiful and
Semifinal Round

• Light Filters In: Poems
  • She Just Wants to Forget
  • Pumpkinheads
  • Aphrodite Made Me Do It
  • Heartstopper: Volume Two (Heartstopper, #2)
  • You Are Here
growing up a word-devourer & avid fairy tale lover, it was only natural that amanda lovelace began writing books of her own, & so she did. when she isn't reading or writing, she can be found waiting for pumpkin spice coffee to come back into season & binge-watching gilmore girls. (before you ask: team jess all the way). the lifelong poetess & storyteller currently lives in new jers ...more

Women Are Some Kind of Magic (3 books)
  • The Princess Saves Herself in This One (Women Are Some Kind of Magic, #1)
  • The Witch Doesn't Burn in This One (Women Are Some Kind of Magic, #2)
“becoming
ask for
help.

- therapy session no. 1”
3 likes
“be stronger than the villains. be every storybook heroine come to life.” 3 likes