Start by marking “American Islamophobia: Understanding the Roots and Rise of Fear” as Want to Read:
American Islamophobia: Understanding the Roots and Rise of Fear

American Islamophobia: Understanding the Roots and Rise of Fear

“I remember the four words that repeatedly scrolled across my mind after the first plane crashed into the World Trade Center in New York City. ‘Please don’t be Muslims, please don’t be Muslims.’ The four words I whispered to myself on 9/11 reverberated through the mind of every Muslim American that day and every day after.… Our fear, and the collective breath or brace for ...more
Published April 3rd 2018 by University of California Press

To ask other readers questions about American Islamophobia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about American Islamophobia

Amanda Jaczkowski
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Khaled Beydoun definitely provides a deep, narrative-style exploration of Islamophobia in the U.S. He utilizes select stories to weave together the history of Islamophobia from the far past to the present, and how the beast has never gone away but transformed and been strengthened by sometimes seemingly unrelated events.

It's well-written, and much easier to work through than I had originally expected coming from a Law professor. It's not an all-encompassing lesson book, but a narrative that give
Lauren  S
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2018
Very interesting read that I completed for a summer course. I loved learning about the rich history of the Middle East, Islam, and Muslims. I think it is important to be aware of the bias and hatred in our country, especially present in Western media, and this book is very helpful and raising that awareness. If you have the chance to pick up this quick read, I highly recommend it!
Sanjida
Apr 14, 2018 rated it liked it
This book is preaching to the choir and is somewhat sensationalist. But I suspect he's not wrong, but I'm not sure how I walk around not scared with that knowledge. Basically, this book bummed me out.
Layla Abdullah-Poulos
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In his new book, American Islamophobia: Understanding the Roots and Rise of Fear, law professor and activist Khaled Beydoun speaks truth to power and encourages empowerment and liberation from subjugation.

American Islamophobia is a critical examination and explication of the multifaceted endeavor to dehumanize a diverse population of people based on their faith as well as its historical connections to the country’s tenacious racial oppression systems.

Read more at http://www.patheos.com/blogs/nba
Jacob
Dec 14, 2018 rated it liked it
I felt that this book did a good job explaining how institutional Islamophobia has motivated and exacerbated acts of individual Islamophobia. A greater focus on the individual stories of those who deal with both manifestations of Islamophobia would have made the book more impactful as it would’ve had more emotional appeal to supplement the intellectual appeal.
Caroline Gerardo
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Where does hate begin? Can we change and understand rather than perceive a threat?
Only the one who hates you is truly cut off from heaven.
Beydoun begins with a Hispanic Uber driver who reads the Quran. Beydoun expresses worry over the young man making a choice of faith, but the story doesn't read right to me, I don't feel it was the place to start the First Chapter.
He takes us back to his own experience of 9/11 and the wish the terrorists are not Muslim. Muslim is not merely "Arab" but yes Ame
Jacob North
Dec 31, 2018 rated it liked it
I'm torn about this book. Dr. Beydoun does a great job crafting a narrative that explains the plight of Muslim Americans and the intersectionalism experienced by it and intersecting communities. My qualms concern the repetitive nature, emotional appeals of verbiage and prolific thinly-disguised bias focusing on this plight with little systematic nor sympathetic view of the broader American opinion of Islamic plight. Of course, the book concerns Islamophobia, but why not include some elements hig ...more
Natalie
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
At the end of American Islamophobia the author quotes, “You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read” (J. Baldwin)- this articulates one of the many reasons why American Islamophobia is not only a necessary read but a transformative one. Not only will you realize that the struggle of immigrant, muslim, black, LGBQT, poor communities face today are ripples from pain sewn into society so very long ago, but you also learn of the renegades ...more
Joanna Fantozzi
Apr 29, 2019 rated it liked it
While Beydoun is clearly passionate and well-versed in the subject of Islamophobia and the Muslim experience in America, I found the writing to be repetitive and the content painted its perspective with a broad brush: The book spoke generally about Muslim fears and attitudes throughout centuries of Islamophobic hate in America. I wanted to get specific details about causes, roots and progress of Islamophobia. I did not learn as much from this book as I had hoped, but I am glad I have learned a l ...more
Ihsan
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'd segment the review of this books for two audiences:

For non-Muslims it's a must read. It paints a really valid picture of what the life of a Muslim is like and educates the read about all of the destructive policies that led to the world we're in today.

For Muslims, it's a fascinating look into how we got here. I personally related to everything in the book but hadn't ever experienced something that tied so many causes, policies, and ideologies together in such a nice way.
Alexis
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great connections

Interesting read that opened my eyes to the connections and disassociations between marginalized communities in the US and the Muslim American experience. Drawn in by Beydoun’s honest reflections on his own upbringing and experience in Detroit and how this shaped his perspective in his professional life.
Katherine Lavelle
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a really good book that examines the recent history around Islamophobia. Beydoun does a great job providing specific examples of how it is present in our country, and provides some thoughtful ways to rethink how language shapes our understanding of Islam in America.
Hamza Abdullah
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very thoughtful, first hand account of Islamophobia in America and around the world. I loved the history lesson Beydoun gave us. I highly recommend this book and would love to sit down and talk with him soon.
Samar Dahmash Jarrah
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating book on Islamophobia. Will post my interview with the author.
Sahbi Haj belgacem
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely fascinating!
Valentine Wheeler
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Learned a huge amount! The book started a bit slow, and the text was pretty academic, but the second half flew by. I especially found the section on enslaved Muslims in the US interesting. Really liked it and will be recommending to others.
Jackie
Apr 07, 2019
Jason Fasano
Jan 08, 2019
Tim
rated it did not like it
Jun 11, 2018
Woolly1
May 04, 2019
جيجي
Apr 24, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Speech: The Story Behind Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s Dream
  • The Myth of Meritocracy: Why Working-Class Kids Still Get Working-Class Jobs (Provocations)
  • Futurability: The Age of Impotence and the Horizon of Possibility
  • Don't Let My Past Be Your Future
  • Women of the Revolution: Forty Years of Feminism
  • On Liberty
  • The Shock of the Anthropocene: The Earth, History and Us
  • Ten Myths about Israel
  • Direct Action: Protest and the Reinvention of American Radicalism
  • The Muslims are Coming!: Islamophobia, Extremism, and the Domestic War on Terror
  • Set the World on Fire: Black Nationalist Women and the Global Struggle for Freedom
  • South of Pico: African American Artists in Los Angeles in the 1960s and 1970s
  • Strike for America: Chicago Teachers Against Austerity
  • Iron Cages: Race and Culture in 19th-Century America
  • Sugar: The World Corrupted: From Slavery to Obesity
  • Freakery: Cultural Spectacles of the Extraordinary Body
  • Violent Borders: Refugees and the Right to Move
  • Radical Spirits: Spiritualism and Women's Rights in Nineteenth-Century America