Start by marking “Island of the Mad (Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes #15)” as Want to Read:
Island of the Mad (Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes #15)

Island of the Mad

(Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes #15)

Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes are back in the New York Times bestselling series that Lee Child called "the most sustained feat of imagination in mystery fiction today."

A June summer's evening, on the Sussex Downs, in 1925. Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes are strolling across their orchard when the telephone rings: an old friend's beloved aunt has failed to return follo
Published June 12th 2018 by Bantam

To ask other readers questions about Island of the Mad, please sign up.
Lisa Riggs Yes, you are really going to want to start at the beginning of this series. There is so much backstory going on throughout that to really get a feel…moreYes, you are really going to want to start at the beginning of this series. There is so much backstory going on throughout that to really get a feel of the characters you need to start fresh. (less)
Shomeret Some people have received ARCs from Net Galley or some other source. It isn't necessarily true that they haven't read it before the book was…moreSome people have received ARCs from Net Galley or some other source. It isn't necessarily true that they haven't read it before the book was published.(less)

Diane S ☔
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 One would think that a series featuring Sherlock Holmes would be outstanding and difficult to solve mysteries. While at the heart there always is intrigue or another, in this case a missing wealthy woman, but this is a series that those who don't read mysteries. They are so much more, some well researched history, in this case the Fascists in Italy and the rise of Mussolini. They are travelogues, here we travel to Venice where Holmes will put together a team of irregulars as usual, but here ...more
Jen 3_Piets
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I’m going to mark this down as my most anticipated book of 2018. There will be other new releases, but if I’m going to have a sick day and go into hiding in the local library, it will be the day the new Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes book arrives on my Kindle. The anticipation won’t kill be but only because I’m sooo excited to read a new one!!
Sabrina Flynn
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
Whenever I read a book in this series, it feels like coming home. I loved Island of the Mad. Holmes and Russell spent quite a bit of time together in the book, and there was a very big nod to Nelly Bly—a female stunt reporter/investigative journalist in the late 1800s.
Sandy

One more off the pile although at this rate, I'll be leaving Mount TBR to my descendants in my will. Lots of reviews already as I'm fashionably late getting to this but I will say I enjoyed this much more than the last book. We're back to travelling with Mary & Sherlock & get a neat little mystery along with an interesting look at Mussolini's Italy that seems frightening relevant today.
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
I have to admit that having Mary Russell's old friend Veronica Beaconsfield making an appearance in this book brought back a lot of fond memories from the earlier books. Yeah, I got nostalgic and all remembering Mary and Veronica's school days not to mention the religious sect "The New Temple of God" that Veronica was involved with that turned out to be quite an adventure for Mary.

READ THE REST OF THE REVIEW OVER AT FRESH FICTION!
Susanna - Censored by GoodReads
Actual rating: 3.5 stars.

As Mary searches 1925 Venice for the missing (and insane) aunt of one of her best friends, and hangs out with the Bright Young Things on the beaches of the Lido, Sherlock Holmes watches the fascists (on a suggestion from his brother), and gets a little help from Cole Porter.

A fun installment in the series.
Shomeret
In Island of the Mad, Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes conduct their investigations in Venice which is under the rule of Mussolini. I received a digital ARC from the publisher via Net Galley and this is my honest review.

For Mary Russell, this is a missing person case that begins in England. She is searching for a college friend's aunt who had been consigned to Bedlam. Holmes accompanies Russell, but he is on a mission for his brother, Mycroft. Holmes' investigation brings an espionage element in
Empress Reece (Hooked on Books)
This book was written more in the style of King's earlier books in the series which is what I like. It was adventurous and had the Venetian backdrop to give it that exotic atmosphere. I'm glad she chose to revert back to her 'tried and true' method.

*Note to self: I was suppose to receive a hardcopy ARC from LibraryThing and the publisher months ago but never received it.
Linda Baker
It's 1925, and Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes are still recovering from the events of The Murder Of Mary Russell and the loss of their longtime friend and housekeeper, Mrs. Hudson. Her departure forces Russell to undertake domestic duties with frustrating and less than stellar results. One evening Russell receives a call that will upturn their lives and take them into the fledgling fascist state taking shape in Italy. Her friend Ronnie Beaconsfield's aunt Lady Vivian Beaconsfield has disappear ...more
Mary Ann
Jun 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Not the best Russell/Holmes, but far from the worst. That distinction belongs to Pirate King, the only real stinker in the series and the only one of Laurie R. King's many novels to which I've given a 2-star rating. The backdrop of this one is mid-1920s Venice (think Brideshead Revisited), an intriguing city and so unlike any other in Italy. Mary's old Oxford friend, Lady Veronica Beaconsfield (Beekeper's Apprentice and Monstrous Regiment of Women), now Fitzwarren, reappears along with her young ...more
Elisabeth
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
4.5 stars; I wouldn't call it "amazing" necessarily, but certainly great fun and a delightful return to form for Ms. King. Good mystery, great current events, the rich travelogue we've come to expect from this series, all painstakingly researched and with notes in the back - and Holmes and Russell, back at their best.

I particularly appreciate the history in this volume, as it is frighteningly relevant again today. I also appreciate the lightness and exuberance of the story - anything darker migh
Teri-K
Island of the Mad is a good story and I enjoyed reading it, but I didn't love it. Before this book came available at the library I'd started rereading O Jerusalem, one of my favorites, and the contrast between the two is pretty strong. Jerusalem has Mary and Sherlock in a difficult, sometimes life-threatening, situation. They have to depend on others who may not be trustworthy, and the stakes are quite high if they don't succeed - possibly another World War. Also, because it is Mary's first visi ...more
Kathy
A visit with Sherlock Holmes and Mary Russell is one of my favorite ways to spend time. Since falling in love with this series with its first book, The Beekeeper's Apprentice, Laurie King has never failed to give me a tale that keeps that love burning. Two people of such spectacular problem-solving intelligence and consistently delightful wit as Russell and Holmes are rare and, thus, all the more special. In Island of the Mad, #15 in the series, I'm thrilled that Russell and Holmes are working t ...more
Erin
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, historical, mystery, vbc
Another great entry in the Mary Russell series! With much of the book focused on experiencing a new place that has personal meaning for Russell (Venice!) and becoming the right character for the investigation, it hearkened back a bit to some of my favorite parts of The Game and O Jerusalem. Maybe a touch less danger to Russell and Holmes than some of the earlier books. And I always love when we get to see characters that are old friends again.

If you are already a fan of the series, you will love
Elaine
I won a copy of Island of the Mad from a Goodreads Giveaway.

I confess I was lured mainly by the dark title and intrigued to read it since this is my first Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes story.

I didn't know what to expect so I went in with an open mind.

Mary Russell's college friend's great aunt Lady Vivian has absconded with the family jewels with her caretaker.

Mary agrees to take on the case, interviewing associates and family members of this once vibrant young woman who has spent several
Rachel
Jul 12, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked much of the story. It was fascinating, mysterious, and held some nice twists. Russell's university friend Veronica's aunt has been in and out of mental institutions for the last decade or so, and then she suddenly disappears, so Veronica asks Russell to look for her aunt. Russell and Holmes follow her trail to Venice, which has just come under the rule of Mussolini and the fascists, and all the historical details were awesome. They end up rubbing elbows with people like Cole Porter, so t ...more
MDNewbie
Because Mary and Sherlock were in a city that I have visited and enjoyed, the book held my interest. However, there wasn't much of a mystery in this book - a woman from a mental asylum has gone missing. Lots of emphasis on clothing, costumes and masks which is understandable considering the city; however, this one is not the strongest book in the series.
farmwifetwo
DNF pg 149. I have tried to read it for nearly a mth. I am bored. May try it again later . Many others have enjoyed it , so don't take my word for it . It is due to the library and we'll see how it goes later.
Barb in Maryland
Ahh, this is more like it. (I was not a big fan of the previous book which featured Mrs Hudson).
Mary and Sherlock head for Venice, each on a case. Mary is doing a favor for a dear friend--trying to find the friend's aunt Vivian(who may have mental health problems). Mary believes Vivian to be in Venice, but how to find her? There's where it get tricky.
Meanwhile, Sherlock is doing a bit of observation for his brother Mycroft--keeping as eye on Mussolini's Fascist Blackshirts--as well as giving an
eyes.2c
A tricky enquiry!

Not only but also! An absorbing investigation by Mary and Sherlock that takes us from Bedlam to the Lido and onto the Venetian asylum island of Poveglia.
What a fabulous conondrum for the wonderful Mary Russell and her ever fascinating husband Sherlock Holmes. Mary is asked by an old friend to find out about her aunt Vivian Beaconsfield who seems to have absconded from Bedlam along with some family jewels. The whole family seems cowered by Vivian's brother the Marquess of Selwick
Suzanne
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Island of the Mad takes Mary Russel and Holmes to Venice, when Mary is asked to find the aunt of an old friend. I love the relationship between Mary and Holmes - they are truly partners, both resourceful and intelligent. One of the things I enjoyed most about this book (besides the mystery itself) was the historical setting. From Bedlam, to Mussolini, to Cole Porter, it was fun to see the slices of history interspersed with the story, and I got interesting enough in some of them to do some resea ...more
Cat M
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love these characters so much and am always thrilled to come back to this series.

Once again, King manages a nice balance between serious topics and madcap adventures, keeping the arc of the story hopeful, but never diminishing or dismissing the darkness underneath.

And there is darkness here. The background is the rise of fascism in Europe: the first inklings of flirtation in England, and then the reality of Italy under Mussolini.

In England, a friend of Mary’s comes to her for help. Her aunt Vi
Katie Schuermann
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
I always enjoy traveling the world with Mary Russell, and in this particular story, I appreciated the author's brief jaunts into Sherlock Holmes' dryer POV. However, this book was short on sleuthing and long on social commentary. Mary has always been nearsighted, but she seems to be growing quite short-sighted as she ages. There were some particularly pointed jabs taken at women who welcome the gift of children that I found unhelpful. According to Mary, service to neighbor is valuable to society ...more
David
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Laurie R. King is a great writer, and I have clearly not been keeping up with her output. A friend gave me this book (thanks, Ruth T.!) and looking at the other titles, I see I have a lot of catching up to do!
I remember enjoying the first of the Mary Russell series, about a young feminist who ends up marrying Sherlock Holmes, but while I was distracted another dozen or more titles have come out. This one is the latest, and was tremendously enjoyable, but now I need to go back and read some of t
Patty
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Island Of The Mad
By
Laurie R. King

What it's all about...

Mary Russell is now married to Sherlock Holmes. In this book Russell...and then Sherlock...are searching to find an old friend’s aunt. This takes Russell and Sherlock to Venice and gets them in some strange and complicated situations. It’s the era of Fascism, Black Shirts and Cole Porter! It’s an era of hiding your true sexuality...especially if you happen to be gay.

Why I wanted to read it...

There are so many of these Russell/Holmes books t
Dee Mills
This isn't quite a full 4 stars. I would give it 3 1/2 if it were possible. This was a read-aloud book for us. The story meandered quite a bit and at times seemed more like a travelogue for Venice, although that was interesting. But the plot got lost.

Laurie King is a good writer, and we always enjoy her books, but this one was not my favorite.
Kathy Martin
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Mary gets a phone call from a college friend which sends her off on her next case. Ronnie Beaconsfield Fitzwarren is concerned about her Aunt Vivian who has disappeared. Vivian has spent years in and out of asylums, most recently Bedlam for a series of mental health issues. Mary met her once when she accompanied Ronnie and her new baby son to Bedlam to show him off to her aunt.

Apparently, she and a nurse got a weekend pass to visit her older brother Edward, Marquess of Selwick, on the occasion
Dgordon
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great addition to the Mary Russell, Sherlock Holmes stories. A missing crazy heiress, Venice, Mussolini's Black Shirts, Cole Porter and Elsa Maxwell, what could be more fun.
Krisette Spangler
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Mary Russell lovers are in for a huge treat with this next installment in the Holmes and Russell canon. The novel explores the treatment of the mentally ill during the 1920's as well as a chilling look at the rise of Facism in Italy. I loved the novel from start to finish.
Pamela
This is a Sherlock Holmes, and Mary Russel Book. These books are always well written. The book was about an aunt that chose to be admitted to Bedlam. She gets approval to visit home, and disappears. Her niece gets her friend Mary involved. You could pretty much guess why a woman would agree to that at a young age. Mary then involved her husband Sherlock Holmes. Time is spent on Bethlehem Hospital, better known as Bedlam. The couple spends time together, and work somewhat together. It also goes i ...more
Laurie R. King Vi...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Island of the Mad Q&A with Laurie 24 81 Aug 10, 2018 06:37PM
Laurie R. King Vi...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Island of the Mad - VBC July 2018 260 91 Aug 03, 2018 05:50AM
Play Book Tag: Island of the Mad - L. R. King - 4 stars 1 10 Jun 28, 2018 11:08AM
ACPL Online Book ...: Lee Child likes it 1 4 Jun 12, 2018 06:55AM
  • The Late Scholar (Lord Peter Wimsey/Harriet Vane, #4)
  • The Case of the Gypsy Good-Bye (Enola Holmes, #6)
  • Murder in the Bowery (Gaslight Mystery, #20)
  • Murder at Half Moon Gate (A Wrexford & Sloane Mystery #2)
  • The White Ghost (Billy Boyle World War II, #10)
  • To Die but Once (Maisie Dobbs, #14)
  • Thirteenth Night (Fools' Guild, #1)
  • A Secret and Unlawful Killing (Burren Mysteries, #2)
  • Pandora's Boy (Flavia Albia Mystery #6)
  • More Holmes for the Holidays
  • The Stone Circle (Ruth Galloway, #11)
  • Murder in July (Benjamin January #15)
  • A Bitter Draught (Ravenwood Mysteries #2)
  • Dandy Gilver and the Proper Treatment of Bloodstains (Dandy Gilver, #5)
  • A Terrible Beauty (Lady Emily, #11)
  • Murder at the Brightwell (Amory Ames Mystery, #1)
  • Another Scandal in Bohemia (Irene Adler, #4)
  • Death at Victoria Dock (Phryne Fisher, #4)
Edgar-winning mystery writer Laurie R. King writes series and standalone novels. Her official forum is
THE LRK VIRTUAL BOOK CLUB here on Goodreads--please join us for book-discussing fun.

King's 2018 novel, Island of the Mad, sees Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes travel from London's Bedlam to the glitter of Venice's Lido,where Young Things and the friends of Cole Porter pass Mussolini's Blackshir

Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The Beekeeper's Apprentice (Mary Russell, #1)
  • A Monstrous Regiment of Women (Mary Russell, #2)
  • A Letter of Mary (Mary Russell, #3)
  • The Moor (Mary Russell, #4)
  • O Jerusalem (Mary Russell, #5)
  • Justice Hall (Mary Russell, #6)
  • The Game (Mary Russell, #7)
  • Locked Rooms (Mary Russell, #8)
  • The Language of Bees (Mary Russell, #9)
  • The God of the Hive
“glass, a substance that went from liquid to solid through the use of fire and air,” 1 likes
“Mrs Porter, you see before you the product of an outmoded educational system, which is based upon beating Latin and Greek into a boy’s mind before he has a chance to meet the penny-dreadful.” 0 likes