Start by marking “Star Wars: Journey to Star Wars: the Last Jedi - The Legends of Luke Skywalker (Star Wars)” as Want to Read:

Star Wars: Journey to Star Wars: the Last Jedi - The Legends of Luke Skywalker

(Journey to Star Wars: The Last Jedi)

As a cargo ship rockets across the galaxy to Canto Bight, the deckhands on board trade stories about legendary Jedi Knight Luke Skywalker. But are the stories of iconic and mysterious Luke Skywalker true, or merely tall tales passed from one corner of the galaxy to another? Is Skywalker really a famous Jedi hero, an elaborate charlatan, or even part droid? The deckhands wi ...more
Published October 31st 2017 by Disney Lucasfilm Press

To ask other readers questions about Star Wars, please sign up.
James Allen Thinking about the idea of the book when writing it.

Start your review of Star Wars: Journey to Star Wars: the Last Jedi - The Legends of Luke Skywalker (Star Wars)
Khurram
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to love this book. Luke is my favorite character from Star Wars. With the Last Jedi coming out I was hoping for more on Luke’s journey and what he has been up to since Return of the Jedi.

The book looks great in hardcover format, with great art work at the start of the story, and the red blank pages look great. Even the jokes about messing up famous Star Wars quotes and mixing up legends was all good and funny. However out of 5 stories there were only 2 I really liked. Yes I
Josh
I didn't get what I was hoping for with this collection of short stories about the Star Wars franchise's most important character (subjective), Luke Skywalker. Rather than delving deep into his past exploits to fill the gaps between his early training as a Jedi and battles won/lost in the lead up to The Force Awakens, the collection focuses on a bunch of largely nonsensical 'events' with, one story aside, have no distinct time or place.

Of the stories, The Tale of Lugubrious Mote which is a rete
Michelle Curie
"Legends about our heroes don’t matter as much as what we choose to make of our own lives when the legends move us."

Less than a week left until the release of The Last Jedi. My excitement levels are going through the roof, so reading this book as part of my mental preparation felt appropriate, especially since it's been written by an author I admire. Ken Liu! Luke Skywalker! Everything sounded right about this.

For somebody who has not read a book based in the Star Wars universe before, I was worried how well the format would work for a story that relies heavily on its visuals, but the transition worked surprisingly well. In a literal sense, too: the hardcover version of this is stunning, especially with the lovely watercolour illustrations by J.G. Jones.

So this is a collection of myths and stories about Luke Skywalker. It's an enthralling concept, because as a viewer we've obviously met him as a character, a somehow relatable heroic Jedi, but to the average sentient of the galaxy he's a larger than life hero. They have all heard about him, all have spun their theories about his existence and it gives us a sense of the perception people have of him within that world.

"Luke Skywalker? That's a name I haven't heard in a while. There are lots of stories about Luke Skywalker. Some of them might even be true."

It's particularly fun as the tales that the characters here tell each other are as different as can be: we've got one person with a conspiracy theory that Luke Skywalker is a mere con-artist, another one that drastically changes our understanding of what happened in Jabba's palace in Return of the Jedi (which I didn't like the idea of, I must admit) and others that paint the picture of a classic heroic youngster.

I liked gaining that understanding for Luke, the kind of perspective on him as a myth and a vehicle people use to gain hope and inspiration themselves. It subtly leaves you with the notice that everyone is in charge of their own destiny, as they use Skywalker to vehicle their own actions more than to just to admire him like some kind of celebrity.

If you're looking for clues about what might happen in The Last Jedi, this might be the wrong place. The narrators are clearly unreliable, so I took everything with a pinch of salt. And yet - I can't wait for the upcoming film, so in terms of leading up to it, this book has definitely done its job more than well.

Original review:

Oh my God, my favourite Ken Liu is writing a Star Wars story? Can this even be real? I can feel my palms getting sweaty out of excitement just thinking about it.

Joseph Crouch
Nov 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
There's some real gems in here, all written with a self knowing efficacy that elevates the material from other Canon releases.

Weakest story is probably the one with the flea, with the best being tied between the opening story, or the water planet one. Really enjoyed it as a whole though.
Roy
Dec 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Some ok stories or myths about Luke Skywalker as told by some travelers on a ship. Fun at times, YAish in style but wont set the world on fire. Star Wars nerds like myself will enjoy it for some background reading.
Caleb M.
Apr 18, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Oh!!!!!! I can't wait! Liu writing a Star Wars book! Heck yes!!!
Stephanie
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-wars
These were all SO INTERESTING? I HAVE FEELINGS?
UNRELIABLE NARRATORS YAAAAAS
Shane Phillips
Nov 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Most of the stories are interesting. However, they just ruined the Han rescue for me.
Amy Sturgis
Once again, Star Wars is trying something new in its storytelling, and I applaud this.

The Legends of Luke Skywalker is a series of anecdotes told by group of disparate travelers on a journey in the fashion of The Canterbury Tales. It seems that everyone has a Luke Skywalker story to share. Some are funny (such as the tale by a conspiracy theorist who argues that Luke and company were con artists, and all we know about them is a lie), some are ridiculous (such as the tale of a flea who claims to have perched/>The
odedo1
Nov 24, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If I had to pay for this Audiobook I probably would have committed suicide by now!!!
This is the worst Star Wars Book ever, its short stories by others about their encounters with Luke.
Not even one of those short stories is good, not even just ok! It's awful like robots telling stories but their voice is human, I can't explain how bad it is without spoilers so please just trust me.
Jerry
Apr 27, 2018 rated it liked it
The Good: Luke has always been one of my favorite Star Wars characters, and this book tells some great stories from unique perspectives. Instead of just rehashing the original trilogy, as some of the tie-in books have done, this brings in new characters and locales. The interior illustrations were very well done.

The Bad: Too much wasted space, especially the quotations from other characters from the films and the wide margins. I shouldn't be able to finish such a thick book that quickly.
Jordan Anderson
Just when I thought Lucasfilm and Disney had learned their lesson with the (mostly) disastrous rollout of related material leading up to TFA, Liu's Legends of Luke Skywalker comes along and nearly destroys what Disney had been doing so well with The Last Jedi.

At first glance, the idea behind Legends of Luke Skywalker seems like a good one. You have a bunch of shipmates telling tall tales about the famous Jedi to pass time. Each story is unique and its up to the reader to trust the unreliable narrator. In and itself,
James
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was able to purchase a copy early at New York Comic-Con, and it didn’t disappoint!
Jim C
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book contains short stories that have the same central character of Luke Skywalker. It is told by a crew that recount different stories they have heard and shows how someone's name outgrows the actual person.

I liked the concept of this book as we get different stories and we see how the common folk feel about a hero of the Rebellion. The problem with this book is the stories. I only liked one from this collection. The others were not memorable and two of them were a retelling fr
Jacki
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
I considered reading this prior to the release of The Last Jedi, and then I decided never to read it after I saw The Last Jedi. I didn't want any part of a "journey" to a movie in which Luke has turned into a grouchy, defeated has-been who abandoned everything he loved and had fought to protect, a story about a Luke Skywalker who had lost the capacity to hope. Then I saw it available while I was browsing OverDrive. I hesitated, my thoughts cycling from "But Luke!" to "But Last Jedi!" and back an ...more
Bibliyohan Blackthorn ➰
Note: Wrote a review over phone, I apologize for any typos 🤷🏻♀

"Legends about our heroes don't matter as much as what we choose to make of our own lives when the legends move us."

I think I am more in love with Luke than I ever was before and there is a need in me to demand an explanation from Rian Johnson for ruining Luke in Episode VIII. I still can't wrap my head around the Luke who is a bitter faithless Jedi from being a compassionate and hopeful one.

This, right here. This is
Lata
Luke was always too golly geez for me, so I was a little surprised by how much I enjoyed this collection of short stories from different points in Luke's life. Ken Liu has a number of characters relate stories/myths to each other about the Jedi, and the PoV of each of these tales is pretty interesting. And one of of the stories takes place on a planet that reminded me of where Luke's hanging out at the end of "The Force Awakens".
victoria.p
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
♥LUKE♥

Luke is the best no lie, and while I enjoyed all of these stories, I especially enjoyed the ridiculous lengths to which he went to rescue Artoo. I will never tire of stories of Skywalkers doing ludicrous things to save their droids.
Jason
Dec 02, 2017 rated it did not like it
Star Wars - The Legends of Luke Skywalker – Ken Liu
The Legends of Luke Skywalker is a collection of tales about Luke as told by a group of kids aboard a freighter on a long haul mission. The kids are all under the care of a Matriarch type figure who looks after them, and in turn, the kids (who are all in the young teens by human comparison, but there are a variety of the various Star Wars aliens represented), do work for her. It is a good arrangement, and the kids would be on the street ge
DiscoSpacePanther
I’m glad I left this book a while before reading it—it has helped to restore my faith in the new canon novels (somewhat) after the mild disappointment that was Queen’s Shadow.

The Legends of Luke Skywalker is a collection of short stories for children, tied together by a linking narrative of a group of deckhands on a voyage to Canto Bight. Each story tells of some encounter with Luke Skywalker, from various different perspectives, e.g. a droid, a conspiracy theorist and an Imperial, among others.

/>The
Elisabeth
Apr 03, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
I thought the combination of Star Wars and Ken Liu would be awesome. Instead it's almost painfully silly. I have a long bus ride tonight, and was looking forward to a nice long book, but I'd rather play games on my phone than read any more of this garbage.
Melissa
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2019
I enjoyed this collection of Luke stories as tales of his adventures grow into myths and spread throughout the galaxy...I’d like to think they all hold at least a kernel of truth.
Ryan Stewart
The Force was weak with this one.
Rob D'orso
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
Meh. I was really looking forward to this one. and only half of the stories were any good. Too bad. The last two were the worst, a terrible way to end the book.
Jamie Connolly
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books
Somewhere between bad and awful. The stories were horrible. The only thing worse was the writing and it was obvious the author is either terrible or didn’t care. Probably just wanted to get paid as soon as possible. Of the 6 short stories, 1 was descent, 3 were bad, and 2 were absolutely disgraceful. And probably my biggest gripe is that the entire book painted Luke Skywalker like a mindless, gullible idiot. He was not even really a hero in any of these stories just a lucky moron who got a lot o ...more
Saimi Korhonen
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-wars, favorites
4,5/5.

Highly recommend, especially if you're a fan of Luke Skywalker! This book revolves around him - stories of him, his adventures and his heroics - and even though some of the stories told of him by the other characters in the book might not be true - at least not completely - you still get hints of what he's been up to, what he means to the galaxy and just how much people respect and admire him. This book is about what Luke Skywalker is and means to the people of the galaxy. Some
Andrés
Nov 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
It's very good. Ken Liu might be the third best Star Wars author right now, after Zahn and Claudia Gray, not necessarily in that order. Most of the stories are great and bring a whole new dimension to Luke, the Jedi and the Force. If I am not mistaken, Liu was sent as a prophet to the Disney continuity... much of what's said in this book will must likely inform and describe the Luke Skywalker of The Last Jedi. Recommended.

This makes 40 books so far in 2017. 5-nov.
sassafrass
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, star-wars
I LOVE LUKE SKYWALKER.

So, with that out of the way, let's break this bad boy down.

In essence this is a collection of short stories surrounding Luke Skywalker's missing years after the Battle of Endor, all told by a veritable pantheon of characters. Liu has really embraced the vastness of the Star Wars universe, and succeeds in capturing that slightly grime covered, often ridiculous mayhem that we all know and love. That being said, some of these stories work a lot better than others.
Ritesh Kukrety
Aug 13, 2018 rated it liked it
I wanted to like this book. I really did.

That I don't is, in part, to do with the problem of anthologies in general. They are like the English football team of old (lol, has it come home yet, guys?): gloriously decked with superstars on paper, a patchwork on the pitch. And, the loosely-connected plot aside, this is an anthology of five stories written by Ken Liu for the larger Star Wars Universe.

The last Ken Liu/Star Wars story I read was The Sith of Datawork in the anthology colle
Jeffrey Debris
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Wars fans
Less than two weeks before Episode VIII is out in the cinemas. Right on the cover of this book it says "Journey to Star Wars: The Last Jedi". That was part of the reason for me to pick up this book. I was not as disappointed as I was with the previous Star Wars novels I read. Far from it in fact!

The Legends of Luke Skywalker is a compilation of short stories. These are bound together by an interweaving storyline about a couple of youngsters on a ship called the Wayward Current. These
Star Wars Bookwor...: Jan 2018 The Legends of Luke Skywalker 11 82 Feb 27, 2018 12:54PM

• Cobalt Squadron (Star Wars)
  • Canto Bight (Journey to Star Wars: The Last Jedi, #1)
  • Leia: Princess of Alderaan (Journey to Star Wars: The Last Jedi, #3)
  • Last Shot: A Han and Lando Novel (Star Wars)
  • Most Wanted (Star Wars)
  • From a Certain Point of View (Star Wars)
  • Phasma (Journey to Star Wars: The Last Jedi, #2)
  • The Last Jedi (Star Wars: Novelizations, #8)
  • Alphabet Squadron (Star Wars: Alphabet Squadron, #1)
  • Master and Apprentice (Star Wars)
  • Black Spire (Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, #2)
  • The Weapon of a Jedi: A Luke Skywalker Adventure
  • Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Spark of the Resistance
  • Inferno Squad (Star Wars: Battlefront, #2)
  • A Crash of Fate (Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, #1)
  • Queen's Shadow (Star Wars)
  • Dooku: Jedi Lost (Star Wars)
  • Star Wars Myths & Fables
Ken Liu (http://kenliu.name) is an American author of speculative fiction. He has won the Nebula, Hugo, and World Fantasy awards, as well as top genre honors in Japan, Spain, and France, among other places.

Ken’s debut novel, The Grace of Kings, is the first volume in a silkpunk epic fantasy series, The Dandelion Dynasty, in which engineers play the role of wiz

Journey to Star Wars: The Last Jedi (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • Leia: Princess of Alderaan (Journey to Star Wars: The Last Jedi, #3)
  • Phasma (Journey to Star Wars: The Last Jedi, #2)
  • Canto Bight (Journey to Star Wars: The Last Jedi, #1)
  • Star Wars: Captain Phasma
  • Cobalt Squadron (Star Wars)
  • A Leader Named Leia
  • The Power of the Force (Journey to Star Wars - The Last Jedi)
  • Star Wars Made Easy: A Beginner's Guide to a Galaxy Far, Far Away
  • Stormtroopers: Beyond the Armor (Star Wars)
  • The Rebel Files (Star Wars)
“I can only wish that someday you’ll also be pestered by a student as persistent to learn what you do not wish to teach.” 1 likes
“Legends about our heroes don't matter as much as what we choose to make of our own lives when the legends move us.” 0 likes