Start by marking “Moonrise” as Want to Read:
Moonrise

Moonrise

'They think I hurt someone.
But I didn't. You hear?
Coz people are gonna be telling you
all kinds of lies.
I need you to know the truth.'

Joe hasn't seen his brother for ten years, and it's for the most brutal of reasons. Ed is on death row.
But now Ed's execution date has been set, and this might be the last summer they have together.

This astonishing new novel from
Published September 2017 by Bloomsbury

To ask other readers questions about Moonrise, please sign up.
Rebecca It's appropriate for high school. The content is not graphic but the themes are mature and it might be inaccessible to middle school readers.

Start your review of Moonrise
Caz (littlebookowl)
Beautiful and heartbreaking, all at the same time.

It forces you to think about and question the justice system, which is rife with injustice.
may ❀
this was so....sad.

i feel like someone has punched me in the heart and drained all my energy. these kind of books really make you think, man.

time to go cry, bye.
Maddie
Jul 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
All of the characters in this felt so strong and unique, even though you were only reading about them in around 150 word bursts! The plot really worked with the verse form, and the shift between past and present events was well managed.
Reporters don’t give a damn about our family.
We’re not a story. We’re dirt.
Although,
I guess that’s a lot easier than having to admit
that by killing our brother
they’re just pummeling more people.

Sarah Crossan has done it again. Moonrise is a heartbreaking YA novel written in verse dealing with a very serious issue - the death penalty. Focusing on the family of the guy on death row, we're enlightened to the impact of capital punishment on those who weren't sentenced. The issues of poverty,
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very emotional read! I have to say, Sarah Crossan is killing it with these kinds of books. She manages to capture so many emotions while saying so little, it's so impressive. Sometimes it's nice to read a book where the majority of descriptions are left out and what's on paper is just the core of the story. I would 100% recommend this because it's wonderful, powerful and beautiful.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"it was all about how things looked from the outside;
what other people
Dannii Elle
Actual rating 4.5/5 stars.

A coherent review is impossible to write through the tears in my eyes everytime I think about this book!

Through one individual's experience, the reader is invited to judge and to process the American legal system and how it still allows individuals to die, under the name of the law. The book does not advocate for or against death row, but it does allow the reader to evaluate the implications of such a system and how the death of one individual, and advocating for death
Kate~Bibliophile Book Club
Stunning book. I didn’t expect to get so invested in it to be honest, it’s not my usual kind of read. But I couldn’t put it down. Super short chapters give a sense of urgency to the story and it really draws you in. Just beautiful.

Moonrise was one of the December book club choices in Rick O’Shea’s Book Club over on Facebook, so naturally I was curious enough to download this from my local library and see what it was like. I wasn’t expecting it to be so good!

As the blurb says, Joe hasn’t seen his
Figgy
Review to come.

This was my first novel in verse, but after a while I stopped noticing.

I also spent probably the last 25% of the novel crying, so, you know, bring tissues.
Alice-Elizabeth (marriedtobooks)
Read this as part of the local library's YA Book Club!

Reading this verse novel came quite naturally to me, as I write in verse form myself. The emotional story of two brothers: One who is on death row, the other struggling with a different family upbringing and coming to terms with serious life changes. With tough subject matter, I was feeling a little nervous before I started reading. By the 50% mark, the nerves had gone. Sarah writes really well and creates a good range of characters for the
Emma
Apr 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

This book was very very sad. I think it was the whole point of the story, having this sadness looming over the characters because the date was getting nearer and there was nothing they could do to stop it. This novel made me think a lot about the prison system in the USA which is something I don't know a lot about.
I would recommend going into this book without reading the plot beforehand in order to appreciate it more.
Kimberly Antill
Sarah Crossan doesn't shy away from tough subject matter and that is certainly the case with Moonrise. Joe Moon is dealing with the fact that he has only a few short weeks left with his brother, Ed. Ed is on death row for a crime he did not commit.

I'm struggling to decide how I feel about this book. Like most of Crossan's work that I have read, I thought she had an interesting subject matter. However, I really struggled to connect with the characters in this one. And while this book is written
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
Edward Moon was coerced to sign a confession of homicide at seventeen years of age, legally binding and convicting the innocent young man. Moonrise is a poignant and provoking narrative of seventeen year old Joseph Moon and his brother who is scheduled to be executed in Kirkland Texas.

As children, Edward, Angela and Joseph were often neglected, their mother a verbally abusive alcoholic. Parental responsibilities are entrusted to Karen, their mother's single, Christian sister. At seventeen years
Kristen
Review can also be found on my blog .

Thanks so much to NetGalley and the publisher for letting me read this early.

This was so sad. I cried. I wasn't expecting to, but I just had to.

Ugh, even though it was short and told in verse, it was so powerful. Sometimes authors make the mistake of going way over-the-top with their writing, and it just comes across as fake and forced and forgettable. This one proved that sometimes simple words hold more power than purple prose. You could feel the emotions
Alessandra Crivelli
"we aren't the worst things we did
or the worst things that happened to us.
We're other stuff too.
Like.. the times we made cereal or watched Buffy the vampire slayer
or helped an old lady off a bus.
We're the good, the bad, and the stupid."

I missed Sarah Crossan writing so much.
This is a story about unfairness and life. About how much is fucked up the system.
This book actually made me think about my idea of death penalty.

"Moonrise" is a realistic story of life and death. It is a book that it
Lea
Nov 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a sad YA novel about a teenage boy who travels to Texas to hope against all hope that his older brother won't be executed for a crime he did not commit. I liked it, it was a quick read, but nothing special. Meaning, it was good for a YA novel. I would probably rate it 4 instead of 3 stars for the appropriate age group.

I read the German translation of it, and I really can't recommend that one. One whole chapter is only one sentence that, I suspect, read "He is gone" in English. That's,
Lauren
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Moonrise is quite simply a heartbreaking read. I have only ever read Crossan's ya dystopian books (Breathe and Resist) which I really enjoyed and hoped this would be another winner. It was.

Moonrise follows Joe Moon who travels to Texas from New York to see his older brother, Ed, who is on Death Row. This book is written entirely in verse which makes the story punchier and hard-hitting, and works really well with the subject matter discussed.

Honestly, this book made me feel an array of emotions
Sprinkled Pages
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
THIS WAS SUCH A GOOD BOOK I CANNOT EVEN STRESS THIS ENOUGH. I felt it covered such an important issue with such care and it made me so so so grateful I live in Australia. I was absolutely crying my eyes out and it is just so lovely and has to be read!

for more, read my no spoiler book review: https://sprinkledpages.blogspot.com.a...
La La
I finished this title yesterday morning and cried into my coffee for about fifteen minutes. The author is a fabulous storyteller, plain and simple. It's written in verse form, but I had no problem with it. In fact it was a quick smooth read. It touched on many current socio-economic and sociopolitical issues. I liked it because the "race" of the MC wasn't apparent for a good portion of the book. It shows the reader that the poor aren't inherently lazy and/or unintelligent, and how the negative ...more
Manon the Malicious
*4.25 Stars*

I don't want to say too much. I read this without knowing anything about it and I think you shoud too.
I really liked it, the characters were great and I love the way it's told.
Also, it got me out of a huge book slump.
Claire (Book Blog Bird)
'They think I hurt someone.
But I didn't. You hear?
Coz people are gonna be telling you
all kinds of lies.
I need you to know the truth.'

Oh my god. Sarah Crossan has hit it out of the ballpark yet again with this beautiful story of Joe Moon who travels to Texas from New York to see his older brother, Ed, who is on Death Row. But it's also a book about love in all its forms, and about life and injustice and hope in hopeless situations.

I don't know how she does it, because I am agressively opposed to
Elle♣
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 stars

I love a book that is written in verse(thanks, Delilah!), but they can either be executed really well or really poorly - and clearly, by my rating, this was done VERY well. Verse can make it more difficult to get a sense of the characters emotions, and in hand makes it harder to find a connection to them - equaling to a story you feel nothing for.

THIS book, however, somehow manages to avoid doing this and accomplishes in going further than just gently tugging on our emotions. It takes you
♥ Jx PinkLady Reviews ♥

My second young adult read by this author and once again she has made me think and made me cry.
Aimee
I received a copy of Moonrise from Bloomsbury Australia to review. This is the second book I’ve read by Crossan. I read One a few years ago and loved it. When I received Moonrise in the mail to review I was excited to read it.

I’m just going to get this out of the way now. Not a lot of books have made me cry but I’ll admit that I was actually crying at the end of this book. Actual tears! Which for me means it was a really good book and one of the reasons I gave it five stars. I just got so
George Lester
WHY CAN I NOT GIVE MORE THAN FIVE STARS?! IT'S A CONSPIRACY AND THIS BOOK IS DESERVING OF ALL OF THE STARS!!! ALL!!

In all seriousness, this book is absolutely incredible. Sarah Crossan has knocked it outside of the park AGAIN with Moonrise. A heartbreaking, beautiful gut punch of a book. Outstanding!
Lisanne
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
I can't even begin to describe what I'm feeling after turning the last page of this book. I read it back to back in a couple of hours and I cried like a baby. Whát a book, just read it!
Samantha (WLABB)
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, contemporary, ya, 2018, sad
I am now a puddle.

Whenever there is a murder, and someone is convicted and sentenced to death, we automatically feel for the victim's family. This book challenged me to look at it from the other side.

The story is told from the point of view of Joe, a 17 year old man, who's brother had received his execution date after 10 years on death row. Joe was quite young, when his brother was incarcerated, but was determined to be with him during his final days.

I really loved the way Crossan showed them
Bookread2day
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I Love how the hardcover is brilliantly designed with a cut out of the half moon. Where the cut out shape on the front cover is all you can see is that inside is the half moon. When you open the hardcover the picture of the moon is actually a full circle moon. But the cover doesn't look like a full circle moon from the front cover, you only see the half moon, a very clever idea. Full marks to who ever designed the front cover of this hardcover. Why not take a look at the book inside your book ...more
Danielle N
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review on another edition.
Mar✨
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

WHY are Sarah Crossan's book so emotional wtf I am a waterfall when I read her books.

RTC
Suze Lavender
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Joe hasn't seen his older brother Ed in ten years. Ed is in prison in a different state, because of a crime he's assured Joe he didn't commit. Joe is seventeen years old now and finally has the chance to see Ed after all this time. Ed is on death row and Joe is determined to spend as many hours as he can with the brother he had to miss for most of his life. Does Joe really have to say goodbye to Ed now that they've found each other again?

Moonrise is a beautiful heartbreaking story. Joe hasn't
Is there a way to find out how many swear words are in a book? 3 15 Mar 17, 2019 06:25AM

• Félines
  • The Weight of a Thousand Feathers
  • Things a Bright Girl Can Do
  • Entre neige et loup
  • After the Fire
  • Are We All Lemmings and Snowflakes?
  • The Poet X
  • A Good Girl's Guide to Murder (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #1)
  • Floored
  • Les 7 vies de Léo Bellamy
  • The Last Days of Archie Maxwell
  • Goodbye, Perfect
  • Le Manoir des Sorcelage (Wicca, #1)
  • The Burning
  • Sans foi ni loi
  • De executie
  • The Black Flamingo
  • The Exact Opposite of Okay (Izzy O'Neill, #1)
Sarah Crossan is Irish. She graduated with a degree in Philosophy and Literature before training as an English and Drama teacher at Cambridge University and worked to promote creative writing in schools before leaving teaching to write full time.

She completed her Masters in Creative Writing at the University of Warwick in 2003 and in 2010 received an Edward Albee Fellowship for writing.

She
“What can we forgive?
Anything.
If that's what we choose.”
12 likes
“Time travel me back.
Let me say good-bye again.
A minute more,