Start by marking “The Fisher of Bones” as Want to Read:
The Fisher of Bones

The Fisher of Bones

The Prophet is dead.

The eyes of the Gods have turned to his daughter. But she isn't ready. Not for the whispers in her ear, for the divinations... for the blood. Her people's history and their future, carved by ancients into the bones of long dead behemoths, are now her burden. Only she can read them, interpret the instructions, and guide them to the Promised L
Published October 24th 2017 by Fireside Fiction Company

To ask other readers questions about The Fisher of Bones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fisher of Bones

Start your review of The Fisher of Bones
Devann
This was an interesting little high fantasy / horror retelling of the story of Moses with a female protagonist. It was a bit short for my tastes but definitely a cool concept and the ending had a bit of a twist on it.
Tammy
Nov 19, 2017 rated it liked it
The nitty-gritty: A short but thought-provoking and dark retelling of the story of Moses.

Many of you are familiar with Serial Box, the company that has put serial storytelling back on the map, with recent stories like Bookburners , Tremontaine and The Witch Who Came in from the Cold . They offer short weekly “episodes” written by groups of writers, which are akin to episodic television. One of their latest launches is a collaboration with Fireside Fiction Company, a tale by Sarah Gailey called The Fisher of Bones , and unlike
Soo
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: freebies
The writer did a great job in telling a complex story in a compact and simple manner. It's hard to portray evolving emotions, clashes of faith, inner war between duty & self and a whole cast of people. Gailey did a really wonderful job in making all of that clear without giving away the whole.

This is a story that will draw you in from the start or you will not be interested at all.
It is a rich story but only as vivid, stark, warm and horrifying as you make it to be. Most of the details, ex
Aidan
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is so much heartache and anguish in such a small package. As is typical for Gailey, she's presented a well-wrought and emotionally wrenching tale that packs far more story than its length suggests. Haunting, desperate, and highly recommended.
Rachel
Nov 04, 2017 rated it liked it
What?

This novella was beautifully written, but I was deeply confused by it. What were the gods? What was the time period and setting? I'd be interested to know those things.
Jordan Dennis
Nikki
Aug 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Wow, where to start with this. My thoughts are still all scattered! I wasn’t very wowed while reading it: that’s not what has me conflicted. It was an interesting enough story and setting, though at times it felt as if Fisher was just lurching from crisis to crisis, with no real indication of what happened in between. I wanted more characterisation, more meat on the bones of the ongoing tragedy, to make me really feel it and feel the strain of the characters’ journey, their isolation.

Serena
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
You can listen to this for free on Serial Box !
Hayley Stone
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A compelling read from beginning to end. Gailey is one of those talented writers who can convey great imagery and depth in a few words, and that really worked for such a short series. The conclusion felt somewhat abrupt, but the more I've thought about those final lines, the more I like their haunting implications. The story left me with a lot of questions, but I don't view that as being a bad thing. While I would enjoy a follow-up, I'd be equally satisfied if this was the end.
Rick Brose
Oct 28, 2017 rated it liked it
The Fisher of Bones is a very quick read, but there is a lot of substance within it. At times I wished that there was more development of the story, but as I think back on it, there was always enough to get my mind invested. If you are open to it, the novella touches on themes of religion and destiny in profound ways. The ending was abrupt but powerful in its simplicity.
elisabeth
HOLY FORKING SHIRTBALLS
This book is terrifying and creepy and so well done?? And I need More right now!!!!!!!!
Kenneth Foreman
Jan 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Competently written, but not heartily

“Fisher of Bones” is a practical and functional novel, but lacks depth of character or heart. When I realized that we weren’t going to see character development or conflict, I continued reading hoping the conclusion was worth the read. It was an interesting twist (that I should have seen coming), but not worth the ride. Not my cup of tea or preferred style.
Emma
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wow was that a gut punch of a story.
Linnea
Aug 23, 2019 rated it liked it
This was good, but so short! I really wanted more. I was getting fun Battlestar Galactica vibes. Always more Sarah Gailey!
Sofia
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such a beautiful book, absolutely loved it.
Steve
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an easy read (in terms of time, but not in terms of content). Gailey's writing is very accessible and she creates a compelling world. Hell of an ending too...
Kelly Sedinger
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 2018-reads
Sarah Gailey's talent level is such that I am sure she will be writing something truly Great (note the capital 'G') within the next ten years. For now she's working at the level of "WOW that is REALLY GOOD", and this novella is definitely that. It's something of a gender-flipped retelling of the Exodus, although the tone is not so much Biblical as post-apocalyptic. Gailey doesn't really tell us a whole lot about who the people in the book are and why they are traveling to a "promised land", but ...more
Amy
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a riveting novella with a shocking ending, albeit one that left you hanging, quite a bit. I wanted to just keep reading, really!
Milliebot
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I bought this book mostly because Gailey wrote it, though I did find the plot interesting. We're given a glimpse of a world where I assume things have gone pretty bad, if a group of people have been willing to travel for 30-something years to reach a Promised Land. There's not a ton of world-building, but I filled in the gaps on my own (bleak, barren, other people are dangerous) and I'm ok with that. Because this thing is less than 100 pages, there's not a lot of detail anywhere, honestly, but G ...more
Melinda Beatty
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A total gut punch in just over 100 pages.
Robin
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Marvelous and terrifying short story. Need to reread to digest more.
Julie (Manga Maniac Cafe)
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it

I’m still not sure how I feel about The Fisher of Bones. All I know is that Sarah Gailey is one heck of a writer. I felt the same way after finishing River of Teeth. I mean, what the heck is this? Feral hippos?? The Fisher of Bones, sadly, is missing the feral hippos, but it does have weird bits of bones and Gods Whispers to harry the protagonist instead.

When the Prophet dies, his powers are passed on to his daughter, Fisher. Fisher doesn’t feel that she’s ready
Todd
Dec 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
The best kind of stories boil your brain. If this is a truism, then Sarah Gailey's FISHER OF BONES is all the best kinds of angry, rolling water because when I finished it tonight I gasped as if burned. It trudged and scraped towards a conclusion that was heavy with journey and purpose. And that ending. Wow. I've picked it up and put it down, re-reading the end three additional times because, well, what a story.

As a serialized short, I understand the limits of the space to play in, b
Katie Spina
Dec 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, mythology
I'm still working through this story. I've read the last chapter twice now, and the more I think about it, the more I really enjoy this.
I think I need to read this a few more times to get all the pieces connected.

A short read that you will spend hours thinking about.
Kend
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantastical
I listened to this book on audio through SerialBox, with Xe Sands narrating—and in that format, this novella is delightfully atmospheric and haunting. It's the product of its form, though, so I can see how some of those who read it in other formats (print and ebook, presumably) might find it a clunky fit; this was designed for audio, however, and it is most at home there. And refreshingly, Xe Sands doesn't get caught up in "doing voices" the way some other narrators have been, and as a result Sa ...more
Hart_D
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I listened to the free audio version of this story on Serial Box, narrated by Xe Sands. I really liked it. It's creepy throughout, with some truly disturbing moments. It's such a short story, yet the main character is so easy to relate to, without seeming like she belongs in our world or any other specific time & place. (view spoiler) ...more
Smote
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Alexander Pyles
Dec 31, 2018 rated it liked it
This wasn't bad. Different than what I have read from Gailey before and the concepts and themes here, she plays were are fun, if not stark and tragic.

I think the twist in and of itself was almost too much and seemed to only hammer in the rather sad, empty ending, but it wasn't as tragic as I was expecting for this sort of story. Overall, Gailey continues to spin a good tale with her tight, emotional, but beautiful prose. Wouldn't mind seeing either an expansion or another installment in the fut
MetisLit
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“The Gods Whispers nearly drowned him out. Look, they said to me. Look at what you have done.”

The Fisher of Bones first came to my attention through the cover artist. By Sarah Gailey, it is an incredibly engaging novella that re-imagines the story of the biblical Exodus. It is a creative interpretation of faith and leadership.
Scott Laughlin
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
I guess it wasn't terrible for a free book online

• Waiting on a Bright Moon
  • The Only Harmless Great Thing
  • Gods, Monsters, and the Lucky Peach
  • Bullet Catcher
  • A Dead Djinn in Cairo
  • In the Vanishers’ Palace
  • The Black God's Drums
  • The Tea Master and the Detective (The Universe of Xuya)
  • The Descent of Monsters (Tensorate, #3)
  • The Red Threads of Fortune (Tensorate #2)
  • Under the Pendulum Sun
  • The Black Tides of Heaven (Tensorate, #1)
  • Carnival Row: Tangle in the Dark
  • Trail of Lightning (The Sixth World, #1)
  • The Haunting of Tram Car 015
  • These Deathless Bones
  • Sisters of the Vast Black
  • Witchmark (The Kingston Cycle, #1)