Start by marking “A Wizard's Dark Dominion (The Gods and Kings Chronicles Book 1)” as Want to Read:
A Wizard's Dark Dominion (The Gods and Kings Chronicles Book 1)

A Wizard's Dark Dominion

(Gods and Kings Chronicles #1)

The gods gave mortals the gift of magic. Misuse of this power almost destroyed the world. Now, children who exhibit magical traits are seized by the Arcane Council and sent to Taper Academy. To prevent a repeat of past tragedies, the students at Taper are taught a simplified form of magic. But not everyone is happy with such rudimentary knowledge.

When Demetry, a promising
Published November 1st 2017 by LHH Publishing

To ask other readers questions about A Wizard's Dark Dominion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Wizard's Dark Dominion

Grady
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
‘One day, when the Orb of Azure is in your possession, you will need a more friendly title. King or maybe emperor.’

Arizona author Lee H. Haywood majored in history, moved to the hilltop town of Orvieto, Italy - a town riddled with history, having been at various points in time an Etruscan city-state, a regional capital for the Romans, and even a fortress for the pope. The core of his writing began with this influence, being caught up in the history and intrigue of the region. H e returned to Ari
William Bitner Jr.
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Genre - Epic Fantasy/Adventure
Pages - 278

Two things become abundantly clear to me after reading “A Wizard’s Dark Dominion (The Gods and Kings Chronicles, Book One)” by Lee H. Haywood, (1) Indie writers rock, should rule the world, and have keys to every locked room of imagination (2) Epic Fantasy is one of the most exciting genres out there. “Fear causes weak men to cower, wise men to take action, and foolish men to perform incomprehensible acts” is a favorite saying of Headmaster Rioley. It wou
Angela
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked this new author. And I am happy that I won't have to wait years for the sequels. Thanks Lee for a new adventure.
Kendra
Received from author in exchange for a review.

I have to say, I have thoroughly enjoyed this series of books and have been pleased to keep adding it to my library. The author has done a fine job with world-building, without going overboard and dragging on with filler. The original book started a bit later, and the author gone back and filled in stories and histories around other characters, which has made for a rather fascinating read for the overall storyline.

This story was dark and intense, a
Lynette
Sep 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Linda Foran
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Once again, Lee Haywood created a world of magic and complex characters in his latest novel. I found myself favoring Demetry even though the first chapters gave me reason to dislike this character. His experiences after leaving Taper kept me up late at night as I couldn't put my Kindle down! Haywood is an up-and-coming author: I am waiting for his next book.
ACPNC
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Haywood has done it again! This latest book in the series is just as riveting as the prior offerings. Haywood once again displays his keen ability to combine great storytelling with intelligent prose and realistic dialogue. The result is another intriguing, ever fascinating experience in the world of Laveria. This fourth book in Haywood’s series focuses on Demetry, an ambitious young wizard who comes to discover that the “new magic” he has been taught is far less powerful than the “old magic” to ...more
Frances
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I have read Lee Haywood’s other three books and it was wonderful to be able to read a story about one of the more prominent characters in the series. This is must read and gives you insight into the life of Demetry and all that he went through as a young man. Haywood is an excellent writer and his descriptions make it so easy to visualize the characters and their surroundings. I highly recommend this book and the others in the series. It is top notch in the fantasy genre.
Nadim Shehab
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was given an early copy of the book from the author. I've read the other books in this series, and this one is definitely my favorite. This book's focus on fewer characters gives each plenty of room to breath and develop. Now I need to go back and read The Guardian and The Guardian Stone again! Not to spoil anything, but the last chapter or two would be really fun to watch on a big screen.

Read the book. It's fun, it's quick, it's good. Plus it's always good to support indie authors.
Sharon
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was fortunate to receive an early copy of this wonderful book.
Mr Haywood describes a world in which magic is used - not everyone can use magic, and there are many different types of magic.
Elves and princesses, kings, and orphans all swirl together to make a great tale of murder, love, betrayal, and determination.
I will be getting the next in the series.
Great read - not just good
Artemis
Oct 21, 2017 marked it as to-read
This looks awesome! Can't wait to read it!
Ray Claudio
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very well paced book with very in depth characters. Action scenes were fast paced and a pleasure to read. I am going to buy book two later tonight!
Ryan Kapsar
Oct 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This book was provided to me by the author. The general story was good. It offered an interesting back story to a character that already has another book written about him. I haven't read the first book in order of release, while this is the first book in chronological order.

The premise is interesting, young promising mage messes with the wrong book and the consequences are really dire, normally. However, in this case our protagonist gets sent somewhere to learn more about magic and become a gr
Mike Siedschlag
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Author Lee H. Haywood gave me a print copy of A Wizard's Dark Dominion. The first entry in The God's and Kings Chronicles series.

A Wizard's Dark Dominion is fantasy at its best. Okay, I'm done (you know better than that). Seriously, this book hooked me immediately. I finished it last night just before going out to dinner. I kept looking at the clock because had the person I was going to dinner with arrived early, I was wondering how they were going to like waiting while I finished. Fortunately
Bonnie Dale Keck
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Kindle Unlmited, same issue as with the prequel, not good with name or places and this book has a lot of that type thing, so for ME it's a 4

Condemned for using a forbidden spell. Imprisoned in a cell buried deep beneath the earth. One wizard will find a way out.

When Demetry, a promising young wizard at Taper Academy, discovers a fire-damaged book hidden in the headmaster’s study, he can’t contain his excitement. The book is the Paserani Haote, an ancient spell book that contains the original tea
Pastor2112
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Part 1 of a 3-part fantasy series. Kept my attention from beginning to end, with numerous unexpected twists. The main character seems to be heading down a very dark path, but I'm hoping a path to redemption is hinted at by the words he reads, "Fear causes weak men to cower, wise men to take action, and foolish men to perform incomprehensible acts." Perhaps he'll eventually learn from his mentor's words, "We all find ways to justify our dark deeds, Demetry. Forgiveness comes to those who accept t ...more
Ronny
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was given this book by the author, it is a book about Magic and how it can lead you astray.

A boy that is taken when He is going to be trained in magic. He finds A book about dark magic and used it bring a person back to life but the person kills people which puts him in prison. His name is Demetry and he is put into a cell with the most feared Wizard of all. He is there because he opposed the king but was captured and imprisoned. He befriends Demetry and teaches him the dark magic. This is the
April
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
I gave this one two stars because it was exactly okay. I liked the story quite a lot, but it was often rushed. Some of the dialog didn't fit the setting and so pulled me out of the story at times. There were a couple of annoying info-dumps in the beginning, and the ending felt abrupt. The main characters were almost more than two-dimensional. Almost. There is so much potential here, though, that I will continue to the next book. Unfortunately, this first installment felt more like a draft than a ...more
Jennifer Millar
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining, solid, thoughtful

This book felt too short - just when we finally crested the hill... we have to go to the next book! Adult in feel, questioning (not necessarily questionable) in philosophy, logical in cadence and events. I sometimes roll my eyes at lack of motivation for the characters and impetus in other authors, but these are true to themselves. There is just enough simple foreshadowing to know there is more to unfold.
Angel Haze
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-fantasy, fantasy
Wow! What a ride! Books written from the villain's/antihero's POV are my favorite!!

Absolutely loved watching Demetry's downward spiral!! This book was packed with awesomeness! It was fantastically written, brilliant characters, exciting right from the first page, and wonderfully dark!! I look forward to reading the next books!
Jessica
Nov 08, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book. I was able to get attached to the complex characters and was able to both like and dislike who they are. I rarely am able to do that in a book. I will definitely pick up the rest of the books in this series and see what else happens in this colorful new world.

I received an advanced readers copy of this book from the author.
Kay
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a wild ride through life has Demetry had thus far! I think he is more antihero than Hero. My sympathy stayed with Jeremiah and his lost love. There is plenty of action, even torture that keeps the reader focused. There are characters who get what they deserve and those who do not. Darn it! Add in a couple of sharp twists and you have an immensely readable novel. Now I have to get the sequel.
Jerry Mercer
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well-written Story

Haywood has created a realm of magic with sufficient validity to create a believable story. The characters are realistic and their dialogue satisfactory. The action is strong and the descriptions of places and objects are well done.
Bryan457
Too many situations such as -
A master level magician who has control of earth, air, fire and water at the molecular level is afraid to attempt a prison break because the roof of the cell is unstable and would collapse on them, and the warden has set up a failsafe to flood the prison.
Jeff MacFarland
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good Start to a hopefully great series

Took awhile to grab my full interest but as the book went along I got caught up in it more and more ended up reading last half without stopping. Looking forward to reading the rest of the series.
richard stafford
Amazing

Usually indie books have grammar mistakes of terrible plots, but I could not have enjoyed this book more. I recommend it.
Cal
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
A short story (novella) linking The Order with The Guardian.

Dark.

A good read.
Dh
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Couldn’t put it down!

Great storyline. I really enjoyed reading this book. As soon as I’m done with this review I will be buying it’s sequel.
Janice Smith-gentry
A good read.

I really enjoyed the take on magic in this book. It seems as if the main character is turning bad. But who can blame him.
Cnygaard_japanyahoo.Com
Awesome

I love the whole dedication of a book to the origins of the villain of the series; it was actually relatable.

• The Redemption Engine (Pathfinder Tales)
  • Liar's Blade (Pathfinder Tales)
  • The Emerald Crown (The Red Sword Trilogy #3)
  • A Sellsword's Resolve: Book Three of the Seven Virtues
  • Wayne of Gotham
  • The Eyes of God (The Bronze Knight, #1)
  • Split the Party (Spells, Swords, & Stealth, #2)
  • Why Dragons Hide (The Arclight Saga #0)
  • Cry Havoc (Jack Frey #1)
  • Harvest of Souls (Disciples of the Horned One #3; Soul Force Saga #3)
  • The Four Divine Beasts: Book 6 of the Coiling Dragon Saga
  • Prince of the Magic (The Son of Sorcery Series Book 1)
  • Immortal and Martial Dual Cultivation
  • Darkmage (The Rhenwars Saga, #1)
  • Sentinels (The Omega Superhero #3)
  • The Unkindness of Ravens
  • The Vault Of Mysteries (Marshyl Stories Book 1)
  • The Anointed (Red Proxy, #3)
I am the author of The Gods and Kings Chronicles and Fractured Throne. I currently live in Arizona with my family. When I am not writing (which seems to take up more of my time these days) I enjoy playing soccer, tinkering with Photoshop, and exploring the world.

If you interested in following my exploits, please visit my website, follow me on facebook, or check me out on twitter . If you would lik

Gods and Kings Chronicles (3 books)
  • The Guardian (Gods and Kings Chronicles, #2)
  • The Guardian Stone (Gods and Kings Chronicles, #3)