Start by marking “Dark Moon (Nightcreature, #3)” as Want to Read:
Dark Moon (Nightcreature, #3)

Dark Moon (Nightcreature #3)

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  2,034 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews
Elise Hanover feels the pull of the moon--even in its dark phase. She is a werewolf who feels nothing but disgust for the bloodlust and violent tendencies inside her. Nick Franklin is the man she met and fell in love with in college, and the man whose touch first awakened her beast. When she realized that her lust for him inspired the wolf inside her, she ran as far and as ...more
Published June 28th 2005 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published June 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Dark Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Moon

♛ Garima ♛
May-2016 Re-read

Elise Hanover is one of my favorites and imagine how happy I was to read her story finally.

However soon it turned into bit of disappointment. I mean I liked her chacater but while Jessie and Leigh got real man werewolves, she gets witchy wolves (ghost wolves)! Huh….Didn ‘t like it that much as #1 and #2 hence 3 stars.
Rebecca (Bec)
This is an OK in between read, and an okay book, it wasn't terrible but it did not wow me either.

This is the third book in the Nitghtcreature series and It hasn't really taken off for me. It is a more negative take on werewolves and I think I have said before that I am a bit put off by that.

It does include characters in previous books, but annoyingly so. Almost like they are there for comic relief more than they have anything to do with the overall plot. I honestly don't remember Jessie being s
Anja
Feb 14, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did the 3rd book. It was refreshing to have a different female character who was not like Jessie and Leigh. BUT the solution for the cure was a bit to easy for my taste.
♡ Sassy ~ Amy ♡
Nov 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: werewolf, witch, own, shifter, magic
Elise has a lover that she left years ago in college right after her first shift. Years later Nic appears at her lab and all her past feelings bubble up. Then all hell breaks loose. Her lab is destroyed, all of the werewolves in the basement escape & together they have to meet the other J-S agents in Wisconsin... Great suspense. I knew right away who the bad ones were, but it took a while to really firm it up.

I read these out of order, but I think this is the only one you should not read fi
Patrice
Jan 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Ok, these stories are a little formulaic in plot, but I do like the characters which are the point of each book. I liked Dr. Hanover better than Leigh, but Jessie is still my favorite. It's neat that she keeps old characters in as she focuses on new ones. It's also pretty cool that she brings in Ojibwe tradition (although I have no idea how accurate some of the legends she uses are). She takes it as an opportunity to deal with prejudice against Native Americans, which in popular culture is large ...more
Misti
Aug 21, 2008 rated it did not like it
Although I love me a good werewolf romance, this was a bit more mystery-based than I cared for. Nobody in the cast was particularly impressive and the narrator spent too much time discussing woulda-coulda-shouldas to make me sympathize with her.

There were a lot of sections where the action was paced too slowly, and quite a few "Wait, what?" moments where the action happened too quickly and details were lost in the fray. Can't say I much care for this author's writing style. Too eratic. Not at a
Robyn
This was really good. I love the Nightcreatures series, and am already getting into book #4: Crescent Moon. I love how Handeland has a completely different take on the Werewolf legends, something completely unique from other writers. I also like how she managed to have the main characters from the previous two books make appearances. This book CAN stand alone, if you have not read the previous books in the series.
Petula
Jun 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is the 3rd book in the series . I enjoyed it. Lots of magical action along with the romance. This time the heroine is the werewolf. The hero a F.B.I. agent looking into missing persons that she knows all about.
Jessica
Oct 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Jaime
Nov 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
Dark Moon was an excellent addition to the series. The complex relationship between Elise and Nic was easy to get in too. I truely feel that this book has given me the drive to continue with the series.
Anna-Lisa
Dec 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Anna-Lisa by: lovelylilain@yahoo.de
This is my fav book of this series so far!

Elise is the female character I like most. She's a werewolf and a scientist and she has great powers and there's her first love Nic. :) Do I have to say more??

The story was exciting and full of legends again. :) This series really is great!
John Walls
Apr 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
good series
Andrea
Aug 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Just started reading this book tonight, and I'm half way through it already.
colleen
Nov 20, 2007 rated it liked it
read 09.23.06
Deanna Against Censorship
Enjoyed this series. Loved the characters.
Kaila
Jan 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
I would read more.
Lori
Aug 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Great book
David A. Carey
Oct 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third book in a longish series. They just keep getting better. I have the next three ordered.
Kathryn
Nov 24, 2009 rated it liked it
Oops, read this out of order.
Cassandra
Feb 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a good book, but not like anyone other shifter book. Here werewolves are possessed by a demon. It was an interesting read, if you want something different, give it a read.
Beth
I really loved this book. Great characters and still plenty of interaction with the characters from the past.
Mary
Aug 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Not really certain I'd like it, but I did
Kathrynn
I liked it! This is Elise (werewolf) and Nic Franklin's (FBI) story.
Jeanne
Sep 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great reading. more than just werewolves - and different take on them & hot sex too. Third book in this series-looking forward to the next
L Bongiorno
Sep 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love how this series is developing and the characters are growing.
Gaynell
Mar 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: handeland-lori
I enjoyed Elise and Nic's story.
Nina
Mar 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
From one of my favorite series.
Ricarda Scola
Oct 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Inhalt:

Leigh wird zu einer Mission nach Crow Valley gerufen, worauf sie nun wirklich keine Lust - nicht, weil sie ihren Job nicht mag, ganz im Gegenteil - aber sie hat sich geschworen, nie wieder eine Lehrerin zu sein. Dementsprechend ungelegen kommt da der Auftrag, die neue Rekrutin zu trainieren.
Als wäre das noch nicht genug, ist die neue Rekrutin niemand anderes als Jessie McQuade - die ebenso toughe Protagonistin aus "Wolfskuss". Die beiden ähneln sich nicht nur in Bezug auf ihre Haare..

Natü
Patricia
Hated it. Simply hated it.

While, before, I only hated the heroines I now hate the hero and genuinly dislike the heroine. It felt like Handeland simply wanted to make the reader feel rejected in any possible way. No friends, no family, no lover. No one would like Elise enough to accept her the way she was and to top it all, she can't really accept who, what and how she is either.

The problem is that this makes me feel so horrible that I can't even look outside of the little box that I'm currently
Theresa
Feb 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
I was really looking forward to reading Elise’s story, but this is very chaotic, confusing and boring. Too much talking, not enough action. And the storyline was not much different than the others. (It you’ve read them you’ve read this.) I was hoping that Elise’s story would be interesting being that she’s the 2d in command and a researcher. It started out good, but then we get the same stuff. Dead and/or missing bodies. Weird werewolves have to be stopped. One trying to become king werewolf. G ...more
  • Witching Moon (Moon #3)
  • Master of Darkness (Primes, #4)
  • Timeless Moon (A Tale of the Sazi, #6)
  • On the Prowl (Tales of an Urban Werewolf, #2)
  • The Cursed One (Wild Wulfs of London, #3)
  • Kiss of a Dark Moon (Moon Chasers, #2)
  • Master of Wolves (Mageverse, #3)
  • Dawnkeepers (The Nightkeepers, #2)
  • Crimson Rogue (Crimson City, #6)
  • The Remarkable Miss Frankenstein
Lori Handeland has written over fifty novels, novellas and short stories in several genres--historical, contemporary, series and paranormal romance, as well as urban fantasy--for such publishers as: Dorchester, Kensington, Harlequin, St. Martin’s Press, Harper-Collins, Simon and Schuster and Penguin/Putnam

She is a New York Times, USA Today, Waldenbooks and Bookscan Bestselling Author and the recip
More about Lori Handeland...

Nightcreature (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Blue Moon (Nightcreature, #1)
  • Hunter's Moon (Nightcreature, #2)
  • Crescent Moon (Nightcreature, #4)
  • Midnight Moon (Nightcreature, #5)
  • Rising Moon (Nightcreature, #6)
  • Hidden Moon (Nightcreature, #7)
  • Thunder Moon (Nightcreature, #8)
  • Marked by the Moon (Nightcreature, #9)
  • Moon Cursed (Nightcreature, #10)
  • Crave The Moon (Nightcreature, #11)