Start by marking “Soul to Keep (Rented Heart, #2)” as Want to Read:
Soul to Keep (Rented Heart, #2)

Soul to Keep (Rented Heart #2)

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  383 Ratings  ·  124 Reviews
Recovering addict Jamie Yorke has returned to England from California. With no home or family to speak of, he sticks a pin in a map and finds a small town in the Derbyshire Peak District. Matlock Bath is a quiet place—he just needs to get there, keep his head down, and stay clean. Simple, right? Until a chance meeting on the flight home alters the course of his so-called l ...more
Published April 2nd 2018 by Riptide Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Soul to Keep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Soul to Keep

Judith
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5

Part of the Rented Heart Series but can definitely be read on it's own,however I would recommend reading Rented Heart because it's one of her best.

It's no secret that Garrett Leigh is one of my favourite Authors.Her books always hit the spot for me,however I was a bit underwhelmed here.

Jamie was introduced in book one and I was more than a bit fascinated by him and couldn't wait to get his story.He has been in California for the past year recovering from a drug addition but he's had enough of
Diana
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, netgalley-arc

Soul to Keep is book 2 in the Rented Heart series by Garrett Leigh. I didn’t realize is was book 2 when I requested it from NetGalley, but I did fine reading it was easy enough to figure out the characters.

Jamie Yorke is returning home to England after spending a year in California in rehab. While freaking out on the plane, he meets a very calming, gorgeous guy, who talks to Jamie and calms him down. Little did they know they were practically neighbors, and they meet up by chance and s
Simone
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
***4.5 Stars***
"Things happen. If we hadn't done what we'd done, we wouldn't be where we are now."

So true! And yep, this book proved it once again: give me a man with a cat and I'm melting into a puddle of goo...

Natalie, apparently, was equally enamoured, and bypassed Marc to jump onto the counter by Jamie and rub herself all over him like white on rice.
"Traitor," Marc muttered. "She took a piss in my shoe the other day."
"Why?"
"She didn't say," Marc said dryly. "Should I ha
☆ Todd
Jan 02, 2018 rated it liked it

After loving book 1, "Rented Heart," I had extremely high hopes for Jamie's story, since the majority of the drama in the first book happened to Zac as a side-effect of Jamie's continuing, terrible life choices.

Book 2, "Soul to Keep," began one year after Jamie had been shipped off to California, to go through rehab and begin his long road to recovery from heroin addiction, so the majority of Jamie's most challenging struggles had already taken place, fast forwarded and entirely off-page.

But Cal
Jan
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq
I really liked this.

It was good to see Jamie moving on and over his hard past.

However, let’s not forget that that past made him the person he became in this story.

“Things happen. If we hadn’t done what we’d done, we wouldn’t be where we are now. And I don’t know about you, but I wouldn’t change my life for the world.”

Well, the story of my life.

As always GL give us real characters and a story easy to relate to. Marc was a perfect match for Jamie.

He made Jamie slow down, just with his presence
Ele
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
*4.25 stars*

Rented Heart is one of my favorite books by Garrett Leigh but I went into Soul to Keep with low expectations because addiction stories are not among my favorites. Well, I actually ended up loving Jaimie's story!

We met Jaimie in Rented Heart as Zack's drug addicted friend who screwed up everything for him. In the end of that book, Jaimie was recovering in California a year after the big fallout, trying to start fresh. This is where Soul to Keep picks up from.

Oh his flight back to UK (
Fabi
Sure, this can be read as a stand-alone. But you will get a much fuller story if you read Rented Heart first.

Soul to Keep picks up a year after Rented Heart left off. We see Jaimie in recovery, homesick enough to leave sunny California behind for the colder climes of Derbyshire Peak District. He first meets ex-Army medic Marc on the flight home. By chance it turns out they live close to each other and they click.

Since Jaimie and Marc both have personal demons to fight, they help each other overc
J *deep in the heart of Texas*
3.5 Stars!

This one wasn't my favorite Garrett Leigh, but I am going to go ahead and round up because I was engaged and I didn't skim. And it is Garrett Leigh, so I did like it.

Something was just off though. Like it started in the middle of the story or something. The first chapter I was confused how Jamie got to where he was. I feel like I needed the part where he hit rock bottom, where goes to rehab, where he spends a year in California.

As a result I just never connected with Jamie. I much pr
Elsa Bravante
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
El primero de la serie Rented Heart me gustó, pero tuve algunos problemas para creerme la historia, en ciertos tramos me pareció todo demasiado fácil y además Jamie me interesaba más que la pareja protagonista. Afortunadamente, tras mucha espera, Jamie tiene su propia historia que comienza después de estar durante 1 año sin probar las drogas. Su compañero es Marc, médico y veterano de guerra, con un miembro amputado, que ducha por adaptarse a una nueva vida, pero sin recrearse en ningún momento ...more
Ariana
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: age-gap
For some reason this felt a little bit like a play to me -
the main stage is Marc's house where most of the action seems to happen, and the plot mainly revolves round Marc and Jamie and their developing relationship, with not many other characters on the sideline.

Not that I am complaining, btw!
We know that Jamie really hit rock bottom (a few times) in Rented Heart. After a year of recovery in California he takes the first steps to rejoin RL. It is obvious from the start that he will have major hu
Adam
Tag team review with Lost

4.5 stars!

I started this book with some serious bias against Jamie. Given what went down in book 1, I really wasn’t a fan. So I was pleasantly surprised when Jamie began winning me over pretty early on.

Life hasn’t been kind to Jamie, and he’s a bit broken. But he refuses to give up, no matter how often his inner demons tell him that he deserves nothing. Jamie needs someone solid to love him, to make him realize that he really is worth more than his addiction and his past
Cadiva
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I think this is my favourite Garrett Leigh book. I don't know what, exactly, about the book makes me say that, but I just know that as I was reading it, my heart felt full and my head was quiet and calm as it absorbed the growing love between Jamie and Marc.

And oh did they need each other. As with any book from this supremely talented author, there is such a driving need for finding peace with what life has thrown at you. Both Jamie and Marc had such scars, not only the visible ones crossing the
Emalie
Jan 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
~ Book provided by NetGalley in exchange for my honest opinion

Soul To Keep is the first book by Garrett Leigh I read and I’m quite sure it won’t be the last one. Also it is the second book in the Rented Heart series, but can perfectly be read as a stand-alone in my honest opinion, because that’s what I did. I might have missed some backstory about Jamie and Zac (main character from the previous book), but I didn’t need it to understand Soul To Keep, so no harm in not knowing the first book.

Garre
Karen
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars rounded up because still no 1/2 stars here on GR and because I liked this one a tiny bit more than 'Rented Hearts' but just a tiny bit...

Can two broken souls create one happily ever after? They can when they’re strong enough to take another chance...

‘Soul to Keep’ is the second book in Garrett Leigh’s series ‘Rented Hearts’ the book that introduced first introduced us to Jamie Yorke…former rentboy and recovering drug addict. Zac’s friend who we last saw in California where Liam, the
Lost in a Book
Tag Team with Adam

4 Stars

Gah!!!! This book was difficult for me to rate. Not much happened beyond the day to day struggles with Jamie and Marc navigating addictions, physical limitations, their relationship, and how to cope with their new realities. Ok, that sounds like a lot. It was, kinda sorta...emotionally speaking and not really in a way that made me bite my nails with anticipation for what would happen next. This was like driving down a slow country road where your biggest distraction is a
Jewel
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Review to come.

ARC of Soul to Keep was generously provided by the author, in exchange for an honest review.
CrabbyPatty
Jaime flits around the edges of "Rented Heart" as Zac's best friend and roommate, whose actions dramatically impact Zac's life. At the end of that book, Jaime is on his way to rehab in California. I don't think you'll necessarily need to read "Rented Heart" prior to "Soul to Keep" but the background may give you some awareness of just how far Jaime has come from the depths of his addiction.

Jaime and Marc meet on the flight back to the UK, and amazingly end up in the same small town where Jaime g
Bárbara
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
*ARC provided by the author*

This was simply fantastic! I couldn't stop reading- it was really engaging and sligtly addictive. I would have read it in one sitting if it wasn't cause I started reading very late at night.

Marc and Jamie's story was tender and precious: they both come from heavy backgrounds, and both have their particular baggage that they are still trying to deal with, and it's a true pleasure to see them trying to find their footing with each other, while uncertain about being rel
Daphne
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m-read, 2018-books
4.5 Stars.

Calm, soothing, healing, peaceful. This quiet and smooth story is exactly the balm that Jamie had to need after his chaotic and jagged life and addiction journey. I loved this - so much hurt and comfort without gratuitous horribleness. And Marc, he was steadfast and the perfect partner for Jamie. Neither man forced the other beyond where he was ready to go so it was just a slow ebb towards health and healing. Loved this.
Melissa
Joyfully Jay
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: michelle
A Joyfully Jay review.

4 stars

Jamie was a character that captivated me and stole all the scenes when he appeared in Rented Heart. His journey starts there, and I feel his struggle here would be lost if you haven’t read that book. Soul to Keep is also a crossover book in that Marc appeared in Between Ghosts, but it would be possible to follow along without having read that one.

We catch up with Jamie in California as he’s been making a valiant effort at recovery for the past year. California is so
Gabriella (Gabi)
That was refreshing. Nothing better than some British writing from time to time. :)

I loved how Jamie and Marc (what is it with that name? It's really popular) gravitated to each other from the start. I thought it would bother me, that they barely knew each other, and they were already so touchy-feely, but with these guys it just felt natural and effortless.

It wasn't that deep emotionally than the first book. There wasn't any on-page drug-use, or any of that dark stuff. Not even flashbacks. Ther
Sheri
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have a moment of heart-racing glee when I open a new Leigh story. A sudden overpowering surge of happy agitation washes over me. I know it’s gonna hurt…but I also know it’s going to be worthy of any heart pains. It’s a beautiful book rush. This is the second book in the Rented Heart series and “technically” could be read as a standalone. As usual, I wouldn’t recommend that because you lose some of the power without having the history. That being said, Jamie is looking to forget his past and tr ...more
Annie
Soul to Keep is the second in the Rented Heart series. I really enjoyed the first book where we initially meet Jamie, one of this story’s heroes and was excited to read his full story. Although he was a secondary character in Rented Heart, that title included enough details about Jaime’s life before he went to rehab in California to make me think Soul to Keep reads better after finishing Rented Heart than strictly as a standalone. Honestly, when I started this book, I was expecting a different s ...more
Natalie
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I do so enjoy a Garrett Leigh novel and becoming captivated by her intriguing characters. Jamie is Zac’s drug-addicted friend from book one and the story picks up a year afterwards. Jamie has been in California for rehab and has found stability but feeling homesick, he returns to England. Serendipity and coincidence bring Marc and Jamie together in the same town and Jamie starts work clearing out Marc’s house, formerly owned by his parents. Their attraction simmers while they get to know each ot ...more
~nikki the recovering book addict
I actually really enjoyed this book. I think it’s mellower and less drama-esque than Rented Heart and it had an undercurrent of lightness that I feel is quite a departure from Garrett Leigh’s previous books.

I mean, not to say that all Garrett Leigh’s books are tragic and turbulent but she does tend to have that skill of having just enough angst to squeeze your heart yet enough love to light the way.

I get that if you’re here looking for the usual formula of tragedy/love balance ratio, this migh
Nile Princess
Loved! Perfect pacing, loved the characters, loved the realism of the struggle with addiction recovery. Jamie was neurotic without being annoying, and Marc was a solid, grounding presence though flawed as well. Just great all around. I will always ache for Marvin and Jamie, but I kind of understand why Jamie needed a fresh start.

Barb ~rede-2-read~
When I first picked this book, I didn’t realize this Jamie was Zac’s addict friend in Rented Heart, a story that I enjoyed immensely last year. Jamie was painted as a pretty hopeless and destitute addict in that one and for good reason. However, a year after agreeing to get clean and come to California with Liam and Zac, Jamie is in a different head space. Still an addict, but in recovery and working on fighting his demons.

He knows he can’t stay in the US, and he can’t return to the London area
Meep
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
I knew this was second in a series but didn't realise until the little paragraph right after the epilogue that this was actually a collision of two books from different series and that both characters are introduced elsewhere. Which might explain their lack of development in this book. Would have been handy to have that stated at the beginning of the book.

There's little interaction beyond the main characters but there's about five others referred to several times, I was never clear who they were
Sali Mes
Can be read as a standalone.
I've read #1, but don't remember much of it (Jamie is Zac's best friend). Marc is a secondary character in another standalone book called Between Ghosts, Nat & Connor story. Those two are friends of Marc in this one. I haven't read Between Ghost yet, but I will.
Love both guys and their story. Communication is key and there were lots of it between them. They were honnest and true to each other without even trying. They took their time, getting to know each other w
She/Her

Bonus Material available for all books on Garrett's Patreon account. Includes short stories from Misfits, Slide, Strays, What Remains, Dream, and much more. Sign up here: https://www.patreon.com/garrettleigh

Facebook Fan Group, Garrett's Den... https://www.facebook.com/groups/garre...

Garrett Leigh is an award-winning British writer, cover artist, and book designer. Her debut novel, Slide, wo

Rented Heart (2 books)
  • Rented Heart (Rented Heart, #1)

Romance Deals

• The Wedding Shroud (Tales of Ancient Rome, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Release Me (Stark Trilogy, #1)
  • Better Off Without Him
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Veronica's Dragon (Icehome, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • No Prince Charming (Secrets of Stone Series Book 1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • A Loyal Heart (An Uncertain Choice, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Surrender (Steel Brothers Saga, #6)
    $7.99 $2.49
  • Forged in Smoke (Red-Hot SEALs, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunted (The Warrior Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • A Husband's Regret (Unwanted, #2)
  • Be My Reason
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Cuffed (Honor Bound Book 2)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • His Unlikely Lover (Unwanted, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Love Me Sweet (Bell Harbor, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forged in Ember (Red-Hot SEALs, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taking Catie (Temptation Saga #3)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Desire After Dark (Gansett Island, #14)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Scotch King (Scotch #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • This Love of Mine (Mirror Lake, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Your Scandalous Ways (Fallen Women, #1)
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Seaside Hearts (Love in Bloom: Seaside Summers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forgotten Secrets (Singing River Legacy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Knight (Endgame, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Storm Warrior (Grim, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bayside Passions (Bayside Summers, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Misadventures with a Rookie (Misadventures, #11)
  • Finding Libbie: A Novel
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love at Last (Love in Bloom: The Bradens at Peaceful Harbor, #6.5)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Nitro's Torment (Sydney Storm MC #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Strange Hymn (The Bargainer #2)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Only You
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Lily and the Duke (Sex and the Season #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • My Once and Future Duke (The Wagers of Sin, #1)
  • Surrender/Submission Bound Hearts 1 & 2
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Burn (Steel Brothers Saga, #5)
    $7.99 $3.49
  • Mistress of Magic
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Duchess Deal (Girl Meets Duke, #1)
  • INK: A Love Story on 7th and Main
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Misadventures of a City Girl (Misadventures, #2)
  • A Ruthless Proposition
  • Hometown Girl
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Mind (Trinity Trilogy #2)
    $6.99 $2.49
  • Rhapsodic (The Bargainer, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Decaying Empire (The Vanishing Girl, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Room for More (Cranberry Inn Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Neanderthal Seeks Human (Knitting in the City, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Forever Hunted (Forever Bluegrass #9)
  • The Cafe by the Sea
    $9.99 $1.99
  • My Brother Michael
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Elect (Eagle Elite, #2)
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • To Taste Temptation (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #1)
  • Dodging Temptation
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Find Me (Corrupted Hearts #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunger (The Energy Vampires #2)
  • Bittersweet
  • The Light In Summer
    $5.99 $1.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Collision Point (Brute Force, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Heirs of Grace
  • Storm Bound (Grim, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Valiant (Spy Girl Book 4)
  • Wrecked
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Sapphire Heist (Jewel, #2)
  • The Other Side of the Story
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Out of Focus (Adams Grove, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • What If
  • Impossible Saints
    $22.73 $1.99
  • Hudson (Fixed, #4)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Only a Millionaire (The Sinclairs #6.5)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Elite (Eagle Elite, #1)
  • Kulti
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Soul Summoner  (The Soul Summoner, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • April / May / June (Calendar Girl #4-6)
    $8.99 $3.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
  • Valorous (Quantum, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tempting Dusty (Temptation Saga, #1)
  • When Never Comes
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Misadventures with the Boss (Misadventures, #12)
  • Baby Daddy
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Twice Bitten (Argeneau #27)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Misadventures of a Good Wife (Misadventures, #6)
  • Calendar Girl: Volume Three
    $8.99 $3.99
  • Love and Other Unknown Variables
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Storm Warned (Grim, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Real Thing (Sugar Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Bronze Horseman (The Bronze Horseman, #1)
  • A Messy, Beautiful Life
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Pestilence (The Four Horsemen, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Twisted Up (Taking Chances, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Forged In Ash (Red-Hot SEALs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Light After Dark (Gansett Island, #15)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Fangs and Fennel (The Venom Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Pecan Pie and Deadly Lies (Adams Grove, #4)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • At the Stroke of Midnight (The Naughty Princess Club, #1)
  • Wreckage
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How To Marry A Werewolf (Claw & Courtship, #1)