Start by marking “WTF is Tarot?: ...& How Do I Do It?” as Want to Read:
WTF is Tarot?: ...& How Do I Do It?

WTF is Tarot?: ...& How Do I Do It?

Young Blood, Old Magic: A No-Nonsense Approach to the Ancient Art of Reading Tarot

You do not need to learn the tarot because you already know it. It is from this radical jumping off point that WTF Is Tarot breaks down the ancient art of cartomancy. This fresh, accessible and sometimes cheeky guide sheds a holistic light on how to read tarot, from the foundation of magic

Published October 10th 2017 by Page Street Publishing (first published 2017)

To ask other readers questions about WTF is Tarot?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about WTF is Tarot?

Start your review of WTF is Tarot?: ...& How Do I Do It?
Hannah
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Bakara is a fucking delight. This book really breaks down tarot in a relatable, often-funny, and easily digestible form. For the millennial witch, tarot beginnger, advanced reader, feminist, pop culture fanatic, or anybody looking to learn about the occult from a new voice-- this book is perfection.
Laurie
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’ve got a number of books on tarot, and this one is very unlike any of them. It’s a pretty basic book-brief intro, meanings of all the cards, a couple of sample spreads, and that’s it, other than a few pages at the end on chakras and crystals, etc. What makes it different are a couple of things: she’s removed the formal language that most tarot books are written with, and she illustrates the meaning of many of the cards using events from her own life. This humanized the descriptions, and made ...more
Luna
Dec 20, 2018 rated it liked it
I feel like I'm the only one who can't quite jump on the hype this book is receiving? While I loved Bakara's honest and straight-forward language and personal stories related to the cards, I find her interpretations very black-and-white. The cards are portrayed as either good or bad and I simply disagree with this outdated ideology that is often a product of pop culture painting Tarot as nothing more than a party trick or a fortune-telling resource. I genuinely expected this book to have more ...more
teres
Jul 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
bakara's descriptions of everything - to the cards, spreads and reading for others - are accessible, original, inspiring and entertaining. a goldmine of information and a book ill be coming back to for a long time to come.
Kevin
Aug 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bakara's "WTF Is Tarot?" might be the millenial's tarot bible! With smart, witty, yet profound interpretations for each cards that are written in the tone for the millenial set, it is definitely a guide every tarot beginner and master should have on their shelves.
Sarah Glen
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A useful starter guide that helped me dig deeper into intuitive tarot reading. PLUS Bakara is also the owner of a shop in Durham.
Caroline
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars

I received this book as a gift from my friend Anatha, and it was kind of uncanny because I swear this book was already on my radar from thinking about getting into tarot... she read my mind ;) (that's a bad tarot joke).

Anyway, I was glad she did think of me because I'd be considering trying out tarot reading for a while now, ever since I started doing Susannah Conway's "Unravel Your Year" workbook and the whole Word of the Year thing. She's a big proponent of using tarot as a mindfulness
Leah
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Finally, a tarot book that cuts out the crap and gives it to you straight. WTF is Tarot is a modest 150 page book (also, it is bound so that it stays open hands free on your table, so you can eat burgers while reading. Why aren't all books bound this way?) that assures you that the tarot is intuitive, accessible, and yours. She peppers in personal anecdotes about her life alongside each major arcana card, and it made me trust her more, to know what she has been through in her life thus far and ...more
Wendy
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Feels like it's written for the Urban Outfitters crowd - magic for hip young ladies (nothing wrong with magic for hip young ladies, of course). Some great insights, though, and even if I don't love the exceeeeeedingly approachable relatable tone, I am also perfectly happy that someone's making tarot approachable and relatable for all the ladies.
S.T. Gibson
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spirituality
In a market saturated with entry-level tarot guidebooks, Wintner takes the cake. Her intimate understanding of the tarot is evident in the archetypes and anecdotes she uses to explain, contextualize, and breathe new life into the cards. As someone who has been reading tarot for almost six years, this book invited me to deepen my relationship with the cards in unexpected ways, and moved me to tears a couple of times. I highly recommend this book for novices and skilled readers alike.
Margo Littell
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent guide to learning the tarot. Wintner has a casual, practical, often irreverent style, and I found her descriptions and explanations of the cards very understandable and relevant to everyday life. I was looking for a good book to get me started on my tarot-studying journey, and this was perfect.
Indigo Wayworth
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Bakara's no nonsense guide was exactly what I needed. Her descriptions were so organic and intuitive and I have learned so much about the cards and my relationship with them. Now a go to resource book for me!!
Amanda
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of the best tarot books I've read and I've read quite a few.
Karlie
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is written in modern language that made it easier for me, an absolute tarot beginner, to read, although I think this language will also make it quite dated in the not-so-distant-future. Lots of slang and Harry Potter references will not resonate with everyone that chooses to read this book. But I did appreciate the casual, talking-to-a-friend approach that the author took. I borrowed this book from the library and read it once all the way through. I think it would be even better to own ...more
Sep 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: inspiration
I have been learning about tarot because: (1) I like learning about new things, (2) I find the universal archetypes and Jungian collective unconscious aspect of it super-interesting, (3) I am pretty much down for anything from the years 1880-1915 and that includes the Rider-Waite-Smith deck, (4) I am looking for ways to use my intuition and spur my creativity and this seems like an interesting tool.

So I ordered this book to learn more about the cards and how to read them. The author must be just
Maia
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting read and engaging
Mallory
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This has become my go-to standard for judging all other tarot books. After countless disappointing trips to the "spiritual" section of the bookstore, I was intrigued to learn that the owner of the local metaphysical store I enjoyed visiting would be publishing a book. But, like other reviewers have mentioned, I was at first wary of the gimmicky title, and was worried that the book would end up crossing the line from levity to ludicrous in regards to the topic. (As many new spiritual books aimed ...more
Kate
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'll preface this by saying that I don't for a second really buy into tarot, but joke's on me because I bought a deck last week, so I'm clearly buying something. (Mostly I just think the art is pretty). But, I'm intrigued by it, so I wanted to learn more...kinda like when I watched a documentary on astrology even though I think it's total BS (maybe just because my sign is lame).

I was skeptical about this book, because usually I tend to hate books that try too hard to be profane to keep up the
Robin
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, tarot
The in-depth meanings and dry history of the cards I can easily get elsewhere. This book was refreshing in that the author also shares some memories and experiences, and even (for the Majors only) a relevant quote for each card. It was like reading someone's tarot journal, and I liked that. If you don't, and you just want to get to the meat, that's okay too, there are handy sections of "Card Meaning", "Anecdote", and "In A Reading", and that was a great call to keep everything organized. If ...more
I started working with Tarot in middle school? & forgot about it. In that respect, it’s placed itself back in my life & Bakara’s book is the perfect crash course. I bought this book 6 months ago and have used it to look up the cards individually, but have just now read it in a successful, linear fashion. Like, it all makes sense if you familiarize yourself with the baseline story they tell. Not to mention that this is a no-bullshit, modern look at what they (can) represent. Wintner is a ...more
Michelle
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, spirituality
I stumbled upon Bakara Wintner's Instagram awhile ago. I remember saying to myself, "damn, I want to be friends with this girl".

When I saw she had a book coming out about tarot, I jumped to pre-order it. I recently started to get into tarot myself -- using it as a way to open my mind and journal my thoughts. I started following lots of witchy Instagram chicks and thinking that I finally found some people who were part of my "tribe". The people who didn't give a shit about what other people
Rachel
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful! I truly enjoyed this book. It has inspired me to look at each card of the tarot and dot down my ideas on each one (as well as looking at this guide). I found Bakara’s style of writing so helpful in explaining the different cards and their meaning. She is honest and to the point, I particularly liked her personal stories in the major Arcana section. Loved it and it has really inspired my practice. Highly recommend!
Suzanna
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is so much fun. The author has a great sense of humor—I love her interpretations of the cards. . .they make sense with what I already know and can also be quite funny. I found this book really helpful as I draw a lot of the “shitty cards” in reading for myself, and she has some useful pointers on putting these into perspective, whether you’re reading the cards more as a kind of Post-Jungian exercise like I am, or because you are more inclined to interpret them in a literal sense.
Victoria
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I really loved reading this book. Bakara has a very authentic way of describing tarot and her experience with it. She made the cards feel very personable and easy to relate to. Also, I loved her writing style, it was relaxed and real. Nothing was sugar coated and she had no problems dropping the f-bombs in order to give her words more impact. Great read!
Reid Hebert
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is perfect for beginners and professionals. Bakara writes in a great conversational tone that feels like you're learning tarot from a friend. Her views are unique and her stories are engaging. I think anyone who doesn't take themselves too seriously would find this book is a great addition to their collection.
Cherie
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Some good stuff here, but I didn't love this tarot book. The author admits she doesn't have a ton of experience and hasn't been reading tarot all that long. Cursing and language don't always feel necessary (this coming from a gal that LOVES thug kitchen!). Some gems and important info, but not my fave tarot book out there.
Emily
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Healing words

This book is perfect for anyone wanting to meet themselves, through tarot. Or someone wanting to be the healer they’ve felt they are. Or someone who just wants to know WTF tarot is.

Written in a way that is easy to hear, and easy to understand, I leave this book (not for long) feeling like I just made a friend. Thank you Bakara!
Brittney
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A modern way to look at tarot

I loved how modern this book was when it came to tarot. It helped me interpret tarot cards in a new fresh way. I also loved jow the author used her own personal experiences to explain the meanings of the tarot cards. This is an excellent book that every tarot enthusiast should read.
Brian Williams
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books on tarot I've read. It makes the process of learning tarot card meanings fun, and totally relatable. I wish more metaphysical books were approached with this much humor and such a down-to-earth understanding of the subject matter. Grounded, smart, AND magical. Loved it!
Yin Yin
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2019, new-age
A modern take on the interpretation of tarot as an ancient divination tool. Extra refreshing meanings added by author's own life experiences as a young adult make the book extremely readable and inspiring which stands out among those dull and standard text books on card meaning. Good job!

• Kitchen Table Tarot: Pull Up a Chair, Shuffle the Cards, and Let's Talk Tarot
  • Modern Tarot: Connecting with Your Higher Self through the Wisdom of the Cards
  • Waking the Witch: Reflections on Women, Magic, and Power
  • The Creative Tarot: A Modern Guide to an Inspired Life
  • Basic Witches: How to Summon Success, Banish Drama, and Raise Hell with Your Coven
  • The Witch's Book of Self-Care: Magical Ways to Pamper, Soothe, and Care for Your Body and Spirit
  • HausMagick: Transform Your Home with Witchcraft
  • Craft: How to Be a Modern Witch
  • Witch: Unleashed. Untamed. Unapologetic.
  • Weave the Liminal: Living Modern Traditional Witchcraft
  • The Wild Unknown Tarot Guidebook
  • Seventy-Eight Degrees of Wisdom: A Book of Tarot
  • Witchery: Embrace the Witch Within
  • Light Magic for Dark Times: More than 100 Spells, Rituals, and Practices for Coping in a Crisis
  • Everyday Tarot: Unlock Your Inner Wisdom and Manifest Your Future
  • Light is the New Black: A Guide to Answering Your Soul's Callings and Working Your Light
  • Initiated: Memoir of a Witch
  • Holistic Tarot: An Integrative Approach to Using Tarot for Personal Growth
Bakara Wintner is a tarot reader, dog mom, girlboss, writer and owner of Everyday Magic. In her few short years reading tarot, she has gained a reputation as an innately gifted intuitive and reader. Her dynamic and no-nonsense reading style has earned her a vast client base and recognition from Nylon, Refinery 29, Urban Outfitters and Stone Fox Bride.

After graduating Emerson College with an MFA
“You are a child of the divine, you are compressed stardust, you are a human being. You have a responsibility to cause as little harm to yourself and others as possible. To live the best, biggest life you can and to leave everyone you come across better than you found them.” 1 likes