Start by marking “Something More (GOLLANCZ S.F.)” as Want to Read:
Something More (GOLLANCZ S.F.)

Something More (GOLLANCZ S.F.)

3.49  ·  Rating details ·  59 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Author: Paul Cornell Manufacturer: Gollancz
Paperback
Published June 13th 2002 by Gollancz (first published June 21st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Something More, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Something More

William Soppitt
May 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Read this over Christmas. Nearly dropped it when it got to the Mary Poppins reference but glad I stuck with it. Interesting and believable with some great characters and descriptive locations.

Worth the time to read.
Ms_prue
Feb 27, 2015 rated it liked it
More of a 3.5 really, and deserves an essay rather than a mere review. But I am supposedly working on an assignment due midnight tonight so half-arsed review it is.

The story, in summary:
1) EPIC future history AU where the GFC (which hadn't even happened yet at the time of this book's publication) turned out to be the more-or-less apocalyptic Global Economic Collapse instead, causing Britain to revert to a sort of feudalism.
2) Electromagnetic phenomena, indestructible aliens, Anglicanism.
3) State
Kathleen Dixon
Dec 24, 2009 rated it liked it
Very short review here - - it's Christmas Eve and I have to finish addressing my Christmas cards so I can put them in the post tomorrow.

This book is a little weird, but then I quite like weird. The social change aspect is quite plausible, and the alien/ghost stuff sufficiently interesting and different to make the book rather unusual. The somewhat warped way of bringing it all together at the end is good - for a while I thought I was going to be dissatisfied with it, but ultimately I thought it
Joanne
Jul 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
If you read sci fi then you are prepared to come across some stories that are harder to access than others, for me that's part of the challenge of science fiction/fantasy.
Something More is a strange tale and I found it difficult going at times yet impossible to put down. It was well worth the effort as there are some delicious twists as the plot coalesces in the final chapters.I finished this a few days ago and as much as I found parts wordy and distracting, I find myself still pondering the ide
Chris Wackett
Mar 15, 2016 rated it liked it
struggled a bit for the first half of the book . it was interesting and well written but I found it hard to pick up again after . I came to this book back to front as well which didn't help because I had already read the current books by this author and was expecting a similar thread .. however the pace picked up and it got very interesting so I'm glad I persevered . not as good as his current ones but an interesting and thought provoking read none the less
Shannon Appelcline
May 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I think my main characterization of this book would be "bizarre". It's really out there (and reminds me of some of Cornell's Doctor Who writing in a way that his other books haven't). The bizarreness is interesting: there are interesting concepts and strong characters and it's an enjoyable (if at times slow) read. In the end there were things that I would have liked explained that never were ... but it was still a generally fun book.
Paul  Perry
Aug 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, sf
I was absolutely blown away by this book. A wonderful involved narrative that melds a thriller with some outstanding statements of loss and humanity (from the writer who brought us the Dr Who episode 'Fathers Day'), then throws a curve which leaves the head spinning.
Simon Curtis
rated it it was ok
Jul 08, 2011
Marjorie
Jul 22, 2009
Paul Cornell is a British writer of science fiction and fantasy prose, comics and television. He's been Hugo Award-nominated for all three media, and has won the BSFA Award for his short fiction, and the Eagle Award for his comics. He's the writer of Saucer Country for Vertigo, Demon Knights for DC, and has written for the Doctor Who TV series. His new urban fantasy novel is London Falling, out fr ...more
More about Paul Cornell