Start by marking “In the Dark” as Want to Read:
In the Dark

In the Dark

(Jenny Aaron #1)

Jenny Aaron was a government assassin, part of an elite unit tracking Germany’s most dangerous criminals. She was one of the best, until a disastrous mission ended with her abandoning a wounded colleague and losing her sight forever.

Now, five years later, she has learnt to navigate a darkened world, but is haunted by her betrayal. When she is called back to the force to t
Published May 2018 by Head of Zeus (first published March 7th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about In the Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Dark

Chloe
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this one!

Jenny Aaron is an elite government assassin, one of the countries best. However, she is injured during a mission, and becomes blind.

Her team want her back to help them with their current case.

I love that the author did extensive research into what blind people can achieve, and it's amazing stuff! All Jenny's amazing abilities are real abilities of blind people - they almost seem superhuman!

Most of all, I love that there is a sequel!
John
4,5 stars. One of the best written thrillers I've ever read, beautiful prose and character insights. The audiobook is perfectly performed by Nina Kunzendorf. Her calm and melancholic way of reading adds another layer and makes the book even better.
Roy
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Started off ok with Jenny Aaron on assignment with a special ops unit for the police force. Something goes down, ends with her guilt issues and blindness. A psychopath in jail kills his therapist and asks for her. The conspiracy and intirgue continues from here.

I felt like it was awfully slow and had a plodding pace. Not sure if the translation made it this long but felt like 100 pages could've been removed. Definitely well researched into how blindness can effect change on your life (especiall
Heidi
I am always keen to read about protagonists that stand out from the rest, so was very interested to meet Pflüger’s Jenny Aaron. How ambitious, I thought, to cast a blind woman as a highly trained police interrogator, who chases down a serial killer. Ambitious – perhaps. But Pflüger has certainly done his homework, and somehow a blind detective works, especially since Aaron has come to train other senses to such an extent that she is able to function quite efficiently without the sense of sight t ...more
K.
Trigger warnings: murder, gun violence, death of a parent (in the past).

I had really high hopes for this. I mean, it's translated from German and it features a blind protagonist. It has freaking Braille on the cover. Add in a creepy Hannibal Lector type character and I thought I had a hit on my hands.

Unfortunately, this was really REALLY long. And really really slow. It jumped back and forth between the past and the present. It cut back and forth between using first names and surnames to the p
Lynda Kelly
May 11, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: deleted
This started really well and I was enjoying it but then it got way too baffling for me.....all the stuff about Japanese martial arts, etc.. just doesn't do it for me and the author keeps on harking back to it way too much.
He refers to Jenny Aaron by her surname the whole way through and at times I was forgetting Aaron was referring to a woman, so I wish he'd use her Christian name instead. He's also chosen to go with American spelling throughout, something that always irritates me. If he MUST wr
Thebooktrail
description

Visit the locations in the novel

What a fascinating premise for a crime novel and police procedural. A special agent blinded by a shooting on duty. She returns to work and is called to Berlin where a criminal in the local jail has asked to speak to her and her alone. The prisoner in question has just murdered the prison pshycolotgist and knows Aaron from the past…just how we don’t know yet.

Oh this was good. Fascinating on so many levels. How would you work in such a demanding job if you are blind
Susan Angela Wallace
In the dark by Andreas Pflüger.
Jenny Aaron was a government assassin, part of an elite unit tracking Germany's most dangerous criminals. She was one of the best, until a disastrous mission ended with her abandoning a wounded colleague and losing her sight forever.
This was a long read very slow too. But I read it. Some bits were really enjoyable some were a bit confusing. 4*.
Paul
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the Dark is a book I came across as a book in the customers who views this also looked at section. The description intrigued me as with most of the books in the genre you rely on what our heroes or heroines show us of the case at hand but what if you took that away. What story is left to us the reader. At the same time the mix of a tale of redemption and he hunt for serial killer are always and interesting combination. So it was with great expectation I jumped in to this book.

The collection
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
This took me two months to read because I was so darn busy. But it's a fantastic book. I loved everything about it. I enjoyed the almost fragmented way the story is told, which reflects the somewhat fragmented consciousness of Jenny Aaron, a woman who was traumatized by a bust gone very wrong. She is five years out but has lost both her sight and her memory about important events. She will never regain her sight, but hopes to regain her memory. Her view of life is formed by her father's lessons ...more
Susan Angela Wallace
In the dark by Andreas Pflüger.
Olivia
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars.

This was an intense and superbly written thriller/police procedural from German author and screen writer Andreas Pfuger. Although I wish that my German was proficient enough that I could read the original edition, the translation was really very good. I felt that all of the nuances that the original would have contained were properly brought out in the English edition.

My one small gripe was that it went on for just a bit too long. I started to get a bit distracted by other things which
Andrea Pryke
Nov 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This book was sent to be by Head of Zeus in exchange for a fair and honest teview.

My thoughts

The beginning of the book starts slowly, with fragmented pieces of Jenny's past interwoven with the present day. It took a while to get used to this storytelling method, as it wasn't clear for a while as to what was happening, as just as I thought I understood what was going on the narrative changed, however that is actually one of the strong points of the book. Jenny is remembering and memories are frag
Katie Robinson
I enjoyed In The Dark immensely.
I was fascinated by how many situations a blind person can work her way through, and the prospect of a blind policewoman intrigued me when the book was first suggested as one I might like to read.
The writing style was good, as an English translation of a German novel, and there were only 2 or 3 places where the language didn’t sit quite right, but in no way did it detract from the story.
The plot was quite complex, different aspects of it being introduced througho
yvette aldridge
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredibly great book

Jenny Aaron is her own worst enemy, worst nightmare and biggest critic. But she has a real talent that makes her perfect to work for the Department - German special police. What makes her set apart though is her blindness which happened in the course of her work. Or did it? Why did she go and leave Kvist? The characters in this book are amazing and the plot incredible.

The storyline changes from 1000mph down to 10 and then back up again. Lots of twists, developments and thing
Mrs Susan J Bociek
This is a book that will stay with me forever

I nearly didn't read this book. As I read the opening paragraphs, I thought "really? Another beautiful team of dangerous spys or suchlike. Probably an illicit romance. Do I want to waste my leisure time?" . But, I decided to give it a couple more pages. I am SO glad that I did. The best book I have read this year, probably in the last few years. I cannot recommend it highly enough. I will never, ever, forget this book. Thank you, Mr Pfluger.
Jo
I won this in the giveaways in exchange for an honest review. A few years previous, in a mission gone wrong, government investigator Jenny Aaron was left blinded. Now she's been called in to help with a previous case. This had some very exciting moments but also dragged a little in parts. I liked the premise of the blind heroine who is not at all helpless and hope there will be more books featuring Aaron.
Evelyn Veitch
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as easily read in translation as Nesbo, but an altogether unusual & interesting story. Actually not at all what I expected! Aaron & Pavlik make an excellent team. I really liked the attention to detail around Bushido & blindness. Really enjoyed the premise of an elite military squad with a female as a natural inclusion due to talent. (Jenny) Aaron kicks ass. Would recommend for fans of 'Pilgrim' by Terry Hayes, or Ian Fleming. 7/10
Debbie Littley
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fairly long book so be prepared to enter this for the long haul.
A blind ex government assassin on the hunt for a serial killer using her disability to pick up on clues that other colleagues have missed.
This is a great spin on the serial killer thriller that works and works well.
A great read and an author I will keep my eye out for in the future.
Maureen
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a Goodreads giveaway. I'm sorry to say that I really struggled with this book - I wanted to read it because of the synopsis but, after several attempts, I simply couldn't connect with it so, unfortunately, I had to give up.
Dimitris Kantartzis
Read the greek edition - i don't usually like this kind of books but i LOVED every page in this one. Very well written with nice twists i didn't anticipated! will definitely read more books from this writer...
Alice
Overall, enjoyable enough and I'm grateful the English language audio book narrator knew enough German to not make this cringe worthy. It was rather complex and at times confusing, hence I lowered my rating to a 3.5 (from 4).
Mrs Mary Curd
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent, edge of the seat reading.
iainascot
Jun 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good

A decent story let down by some bad spellchecking, but generally a good read worth following if this standard. Maontained
Dorota
one of the worst books i've read in a while
just bad writing from start to finish
absurd plot,unbelievable main character and nonsensical villain
no thanks
Eve K
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Summary A female police officer is blinded by her adversary when an undercover operation goes wrong. What follows is by far the best thriller I've ever read.

Characters – I love every single character, even Sascha and Holm. They all have a beautifully told history that explains their individual character and actions and I felt like I knew all of them personally by the end of the book. My favourite perspectives are Pavlik, Aaron and Holm.

Aaron is an incredibly inspiring woman, especially knowin
Ingo
Mar 25, 2019 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Bought the German original as an ebook. Low price.
Not sure, wether I will finish it, beginning is ok, but writing style is not really my thing. Will read further before I decide wether it is a DNF.
Debbie Lawrie
I was unable to complete this book- I felt the editing was needed and partly my mood made me unable to complete this book, unfortunately.
Ivory Castle
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jenny Aaron aka Aaron is an ex elite government assassin who lost her sight during a mission which went wrong. Offered the chance to help trace a ruthless serial killer she sees it as an opportunity to solve the case and ease the burden of guilt she carries with her. Aaron notices clues missed by other investigators and is someone who has death as a friend. Using her blindness to listen to the sound of lies and sense the truth draws her closer to the killer.
Pavlik is the crack sniper who looks o
JustHB
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I found it really hard to engage with the characters and connect with the book - i ended up not finishing it, which is practically unheard of for me. A dIsappointing read.

• Monteperdido
  • Los Caballeros de la Ciencia: El secreto mejor guardado de la Iglesia.
  • El misterio de la Casa Aranda (Víctor Ros, #1)
  • Cuatro días de enero (Inspector Mascarell, #1)
  • Still - Chronik eines Mörders
  • Skuld
  • A Time to Run (Constable Sammi Willis, #1)
  • Ana
  • Die Schachspielerin
  • Wellen
  • Chien de printemps
  • Der Schneegänger (Sanela Beara, #2)
  • L'Insouciance
  • Invitación a un asesinato
  • Pahan perimä
  • Ella lo sabe
  • Hool
  • Reflecting Love's Charms (Bellingwood, #14)

Jenny Aaron (2 books)
  • Niemals (Jenny Aaron #2)
“If there is still time, in the end, I don't want to ask myself why I must die? I want to know why I have lived.” 0 likes