Start by marking “Swept Off My Feet” as Want to Read:
Swept Off My Feet

Swept Off My Feet

Why my life sucks
by Geri Lazaro

1. My dad left when I was a kid.
2. My mom is in love (insert eye roll).
3. With a guy who is like 10 years younger than her!
4. My friends think he’s hot. (Gross)
5. I love ballet but our dance studio has a leak and we have to dance in this smelly studio that doubles as an aikido dojo.
6. There’s this Dojo guy who thinks the studio belongs
Published September 19th 2017

To ask other readers questions about Swept Off My Feet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Swept Off My Feet

Beatrice ~ Confessions of a Pinay Bookaholic
Swept Off My Feet is a story I didn't expect to like. For a short story, it's character driven, realistic and greatly wrapped up. What I really like the most was the teenage angst. I really like Geri Lazaro. She's athletic, straightforward and expressive. Her emotions felt authentic whether it's anger or joy. How she balanced studying, dancing and playing basketball? It's admirable. Though she struggled a bit on Algebra (I feel you girl!), she managed it for the sake of doing things she loved. I ...more
kb
I'll go out on a limb here and say that this might just be this author's best book to date! When I first found out it was going to be about ballet, to be frank, I was like "hmmm." I love dance (this reminded me of the film Step Up), but ballet is not exactly at the top of my most-enjoyed. But when the cover (magical) and blurb came out and I saw that there was martial arts involved, I one-clicked this book on Amazon right away. Dance and martial arts together? I AM SO THERE AND NEVER LEAVING. Th ...more
Claire - The Coffeeholic Bookworm
I love love love this new book by Ines B. Yao.. Mostly because, there’s a ballerina in the story. Just so you know, when I was in 2nd grade, my mom enrolled me in ballet, together with my twin cousins EdieLyn and MarieLyn. For three years, we danced and glided like swans, in allegro while in strict arabesque position wearing white tutus and pointe shoes. We performed in school and church events, and I always loved the feeling ballet entailed.

That’s why I felt a connection with Geri Lazaro, the m
Fay
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romanceclass
Swept Off My Feet is an inspiring story of a girl who fought for her passion, and for love. It’s a tale of acceptance, and of being brave enough to let yourself be hurt – and stand up stronger after the fall. The best Ines Bautista-Yao book yet. ❤

Full review on my book blog: https://wp.me/p4gfJt-MB
Shenna Lagdameo
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-reads
Swept Off My Feet makes the reader experience the youthful bliss of life and the nostalgia of family, first love and adolescence. I am still a reader in her teens, but I am certain that all of those who read this book experienced the nostalgic feels of being a young adult for it captures the raw emotions of being a teen.

Ines was able to capture my young adult heart. She crafted both of her characters beautifully and I fell for them both. The scenes she used in this book were definitely a part of
Kristy Mauna
"It didn't matter if my dad had broken my heart. Because even if he had flown away, even if he had to leave us to find himself, I could forgive him. I could move on. And I could let go of the fear that all boys were going to hurt me the way he did."

Ines Bautista-Yao's books ALWAYS make me smile, and this one was no excemption. I love the way she captures all the angsty feels of being young and learning who you truly are. She writes relatable character-driven stories that makes the reader want
Amanda
3.5 stars, rounding up

This was a really cute YA romance! I like that Geri actually behaved like a teenager. She was sometimes irrational and frustrating and moody... like teenagers :) I didn’t really feel like Bas was as fleshed out, maybe because of this being in first person POV, or maybe just the shorter length of the book.
Cande

+MC is a ballet dancer AND a basketball player and it's not here for your prejudice.
+Love interest practices aikido and is her math tutor.
+Rivals to lovers.
+They hate each other when they first meet but oh no (oh yes), sparks fly.
+A delightful story about falling in love, family and friendship.

I'll be reading something else by author soon because her writing, characters and romance are delightful.
Jen
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a delightful tale, primarily about Geri, a bright but troubled teenage girl... Mostly, she comes across as a pretty sullen and obnoxious teenager. But beneath the bristly exterior, she is actually a nice person...

I believe this is the first time I have read a story that is set in the Philippines. While most things seemed quite similar to life in the United States or similar countries, subtle differences did make the background atmosphere of the tale quite noticeable and interesting.

Th
Phyllis
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars
Swept Off My Feet was a delightful story about a Filipino teenager dealing with abandonment and anger issues because of her father choosing to walk away from the family.  That almost sounds like it isn't possible, right?

Ines Bautista-Yao did a fantastic job of communicating the thoughts and emotions of an angsty teenager.  Though I would never do, think or say the things Geri did, I completely understood her motivations and didn't once feel like the story was unrealistic or off base.

I especially
Shannan
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
An innocent young adult read of a young woman trying to find her place between her loves of basketball & ballet vs her dislikes of her father abandoning her, her mom's new boyfriend, the "dojo guy", and algebra.

I liked that while she didn't make a miraculous complete change, which would've felt unbelievable for this story, the heroine did grow and significantly so.

As a teen, I bottled up negative emotions which would bubble over and run away from me at times, so I commiserate with her and
Bethany Swafford
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Geri feels torn between her two loves: basketball and ballet. Her grades are suffering, and a choice has to be made. "Dojo guy" offers his help but can Geri bring herself to trust when her life has been shattered by men before?

This is a very sweet YA story. It is a quick read, so at times it is hard to really feel any depth to Geri. She's an angry teenager, though there are moments when she is able to shake it off to be more than that. Her passion for two extracurricular activities that do not m
Cathleene
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is my first full length novel by Ms. Ines that I read and I regret I haven't read her other books yet because Swept Off My Feet was awesome!!! I have missed reading and feeling the magic of YA, bringing you back to your own teenage years. Specially the part where Geri is acting out because of her angst towards the world. I think everyone for once in their life passed that stage (or is it just me bc I did? Hahaha) and it's kinda fun because you can laugh when you picture yourself thinking th ...more
Flores, Chiena
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My third book of this author and I am not even surprised that I loved it. Plain Vanilla and All that Glitters were fun read that when I heard about this book, I had no doubt in my mind I'd enjoy it for sure.

A story about a strong heroine with an attitude and how she copes up with the threat of losing her ballet and basketball due to Algebra. (Don't worrt Geri, I hated algebra too). This story is not just any typical love story, this is a story of family and how you don't have to understand every
Book Bits-N-Bobs
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was well written, and I liked it. The story was enjoyable with enough teenage drama and romance to appeal to the YA audience. I wasn’t fond of the drama but this is a personal preference not in any way a problem with the book itself. The situations the characters found themselves in, and their reactions, were believable and in some cases completely understandable.
I enjoyed all the little details that were included in the book, allowing you to feel as if you were experiencing the enviro
Mabel
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
The right amount of angst and kilig

Geri and Bas's story had the right amount of angst, sass and kilig. I found myself giggling like a high schooler while reading some parts. Given that I wasn't that good in Algebra either. 💜😅
Olivia darlingreads
3.5 Stars. This was pretty darn cute. Slightly cheesey and filled with lots of teenage angst, but it was still good :)
Ailla Magcamit
Christina
Jul 20, 2018
Chasia Lloyd
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a really sweet read about dreams, family, and romance. Geri was an ambitious protagonist, and Bas was the perfect match for her.
JoJo
Sep 22, 2017
Lamar
Mar 06, 2018
Aug 08, 2018
Reading and writing are close to Ines Bautista Yao's heart ever since she was a child. She graduated from the Ateneo de Manila University with a degree in AB Communication Arts. She has been a teacher at the Assumption College San Lorenzo and the Ateneo de Manila University's English department.

Her debut novel One Crazy Summer was first penned in 2007 when she was pregnant with her first daughter