Start by marking “A Bad Winter” as Want to Read:
A Bad Winter

A Bad Winter

When does passion turn to love? When does responsibility mean guilt? When does a death become a murder?

In A Bad Winter these hefty questions stir up echoes through time, from the eighteenth to the twenty-first century, to create an intimate and powerful tale of personal lives in freefall. With her trademark pictorial prose and beautifully phrased metaphors, novelist Samant
Paperback
Published September 21st 2017 by Armley Press

To ask other readers questions about A Bad Winter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Bad Winter

Start your review of A Bad Winter
Charolotte
Nov 13, 2018 rated it did not like it
Murder, ghosts, turbulent relationships, shifting timelines and a wintry backdrop sounds like the sort of book one might want to curl up with on a cold evening – but this one just isn’t there yet.

Is it meant to be an easy thriller, or an exploration of the darker aspects of human nature? Regrettably, it falls short of both. The writing and incoherent plot prevent it from being enjoyable enough to get lost in, and the bone-chilling bits aren’t. Nor is it long enough to really tackle the question
Julia
Nov 09, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Poorly written, badly edited (if at all) , repetitive, disjointed with unlikeable characters and not worth the money!

It could have been a potentially good ghost story but failed to deliver at all.

I wouldn’t bother if I were you.
Ella Fletcher
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’m no stranger to Samantha Priestly’s books now having read two other novels by the author.
A Bad Winter was a curve ball from the previous two but a very good curve ball.
I loved how superstitions, local myths and old wives tales were weaved into a modern story. Once again Samantha mastered weaving more than one story together. This is my favourite aspect of reading Samantha Priestly’s stories and I find it so clever and intriguing.
My new favourite Samantha Priestly book.
Daria Tyuneva
Nov 05, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: bookclub
I love a good ghost story bit sadly this wasn’t one of them.
Lucy
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The last line of "blurb" on the back cover of A Bad Winter says it's, "a supernatural tale of love, murder and vengeance that will haunt you beyond the final page".

I read this book in four days (it would have been quicker if not for the pesky lurgy setting in), and I wholeheartedly agree with the above statement.

A Bad Winter combines a good old ghost story (that really gets under your skin) with horror, historical fiction, romance and thriller, and will grip you tightly all the way from the fi
Clair Kiffin
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-read
A Bad Winter Book

I liked the last 20% of this book. I liked that it was only a short read too.
I didn’t feel any connection to the characters and didn’t find it chilling in any way.
This is the first book I’ve read on the kindle app and I wasn’t sure at first if it was because I didn’t have a physical book in my hand that I didn’t seem to enjoy it as much but I don’t think it’s that.
1 star would of seemed harsh but two stars seems a bit generous.
Susan
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It's a real page turner.
A couple of times I thought I knew where it was going and then Samantha threw in a twist. Brilliant.
Mrs Carol Elaine Vaughan
Excellent read. I loved the linking of past and present and I was gripped. It held my attention to the very last word..
Megan
Jan 31, 2021
Karen Holland
Oct 23, 2019
Samantha
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Amandine Thomas
Nov 19, 2018
Sarahpeacock
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
An atmospheric and spine tingling tale set in the wild landscapes of Yorkshire. Love, obsession and jealousy play out to a gripping conclusion. Beautifully written.
Jacquie Cole
added it
Nov 04, 2018

• The Trouble with Goats and Sheep
  • The Last
  • Big Sky (Jackson Brodie, #5)
  • Sweet Caress
  • Red Queen (The Chronicles of Alice, #2)
  • The Wall Jumper: A Berlin Story
  • Dark Tales
  • The Hotel New Hampshire
  • Tangerine
  • The Girl in Red
  • Alice (The Chronicles of Alice, #1)
  • The Infiltrators: The Lovers Who Led Germany's Resistance Against the Nazis
  • Seating Arrangements
  • A Walk Across the Sun
  • My Brilliant Friend
  • The History of Bees (Klimakvartetten, #1)
  • Spectacles
  • The Silent Companions
Samantha is a UK based writer, with short stories published in various magazines and anthologies both at home and abroad, including the new Edit Red anthology, Late Night River Lights.

Samantha’s first novel, Despite Losing it on Finkle Street, was chosen as the launch title for the new imprint, Pioneer Readers, at Fygleaves Publishing, where the first chapter can be read online. The book is avail

News & Interviews