Start by marking “Fence #1 (Fence, #1)” as Want to Read:
Fence #1 (Fence, #1)

Fence #1

(Fence #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  4,331 ratings  ·  783 reviews
Sixteen-year-old Nicholas Cox is an outsider to the competitive fencing world. Filled with raw talent but lacking proper training, he signs up for a competition that puts him head-to-head with fencing prodigy Seiji Katayama...and on the road to the elite all-boys school Kings Row. A chance at a real team and a place to belong awaits himif he can make the cut! ...more
Kindle Edition, Main Cover, 27 pages
Published November 15th 2017 by BOOM! - BOOM! Box

To ask other readers questions about Fence #1, please sign up.
Sans Call up your local comic shop! If they don't have it already, they should be able to order it for you (and create a pull list so you'll be sure to get…moreCall up your local comic shop! If they don't have it already, they should be able to order it for you (and create a pull list so you'll be sure to get each issue going forward). If you're close to San Francisco, I highly recommend Isotope on Gough and Fell.

If you'd prefer a digital copy, Comixology has the first issue available right now and you can subscribe to the series.

Enjoy!(less)
Candle Bobby is referred to with he/him pronouns throughout, and both the fencing team and (I think) the whole boarding school are all male, so it seems as…moreBobby is referred to with he/him pronouns throughout, and both the fencing team and (I think) the whole boarding school are all male, so it seems as if he identifies as male and tends to dress in a style that includes skirts, hairclips, etc.(less)

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Fence #1 (Fence, #1)
Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰
"I'm going to beat you fifteen-zero."

(Art by HamletMachine)

We got 22 pages.
Let me deconstruct what I can after reading consuming those 22 pages in around 22 seconds.

It's fair to say that I am pretty much already sold on Nicholas and Seiji.

___________________

HI HELLO, PLEASE 'READ ME LOUD AND QUEER'

The artwork is mouth-watering. I shit you not, Johanna the Mad has mad skills. The atmosphere that the artwork added in itself was beautiful enough to carry on the story.
The only reason this
Silvia
⚔⚔⚔⚔ full review now posted!!!

This review has a title and it's GET. THIS. COMIC. NOW.

If you've ever read or watched any sports manga or anime, this is a comic for you. If you're lgbt+, this is for you.

Plot:
Fence follows Nicholas Cox in his dream of making it into the fencing world. His passion is driven by more than just the love for the sport, and this is what helps the reader sympathize with him even if fencing is something completely new to them (like it is for me).

Nicholas is only sixteen
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
Im going to beat you fifteen-zero

Woah Seji is such an arrogant douchebag. Well, and Nick? Hes obviously the underdog and needs some serious anger management

In short: I already love them both! *LOL*

Considering I havent read a comic ever since I was a teenager (Ill leave it up to you to do the maths! ;-P) this actually was a pretty nice start.
Guess this is going to be one of those from enemy to lovers kinda story, and Im so here for it! XD

Bring on the hatred and passion!!! <333
I dig it! *lol*

Shin Mon Thway
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love this comics. In fact, I really really love this comics. Heck, Id read anything C.S. Pacat writes. And here comes the but. 😁

But the thing is, the comics is really really short. Its merely a chapter. I dont mind the price point given its Pacats work and the quality of the art is amazing. However, I really want more. Read this comics book in 10 mins and that .. that I was savoring. 😆

This is only the introduction of two MCs and thats it. Will they become enemies, frenemies? Or enemies to
Whitney Atkinson
I was really hesitant to read a sports-centered story because I have a history of getting bored during them, and although this book wasn't the *most* interesting because it did have to explain a lot about fencing, I found I really enjoyed it and cannot wait for volume 2! The set-up of the conflict and emotional angst and camaraderie between the two main characters was aggravating yet addicting, and I can't wait until we get an issue that further explore Nicholas's backstory because he really ...more
Joce (squibblesreads)
I LOVE sports anime (YURI ON ICE LORD JESUS PLS, also Haikyuu!! and Hanebado!) so I was super looking forward to this one. I loved the m/m themes and relationships. The author employed some typical sports manga tropes, namely the underdog story, but I love a good underdog story and learning more about fencing.

There are characters of all races and a character that defies stereotypical gender expression. The overachieving East Asian stereotype was used; however its not that stereotypes are bad or
˗ˏˋ eg ˎˊ˗
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017, lgbt
I'VE ALREADY FILLED OUT THE ADOPTION PAPERS I LOVE THESE BOYS
JV (semi-hiatus)
Well, this was cute. I have to admit that I seldom read comics (except for Peanut strips). But when I pick something up, it should be engaging enough. Truth be told, this didn't disappoint. However, I find it too short. The illustrations are wonderful and the dialogues are well-crafted. Something's brewing for these adorable boys. And I'm hoping that Pacat is not just queerbaiting me for these comic series. Oh, as for Nicholas and Seiji, here's how they feel towards each other:

Grace (BURTSBOOKS)
This went by so fast I don't even know what to say. How do I even rate this???
rin ( ̄ヘ ̄)	 read/watch mo dao zu shi
not writing a review yet but this cleared my skin cured my depression and anxiety enhanced my eyesight saved my lfie

~~~~~~~~~
NOVEMBER 15 NOVEMBER 15 THIS IS NOT A DRILL

75 DAYS UNTIL FENCE ARRIVES AND SNATCHES MY WIG
~~~~~
i am STILL SCREAMING

so basically c.s. pacat, the queen, the author who i love and would die for, who wrote my favorite series of all time, teamed up with amazing johanna the mad to provide us WITH GAY FENCING SPORTS COMIC we're all going to die

kevin wada did a cover variant AND
Aleksandra
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbt, read-in-english
Its like a mixture of Haikyu and The Foxhole Court, exactly what Ive been craving, but why is it so short tho :c

***

Out of stock everywhere T.T
Can you find it somewhere online?
Romie
What a way to start my week, it's barely 10am and I'm already in a good mood thanks to this.

I get strong Foxhole Court vibes and I'm SO here for that! Gimme all the rivalry, hate-to-love relationship, I'm down for this!

Also, JOHANNA THE MAD IS THE ILLUSTRATOR AND OMG I'M DYING IT'S SO PERFECT!
emma
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to emma by: Silvia
Hello, if you aren't eagerly following this new series then you should be!!!

The first issue of Fence introduces sixteen-year-old Nicholas Cox, a young athlete with hopes of making it in the cutthroat world of competitive fencing. Hes devoted to the sport despite his limited training, and when he finally enters his first competition he finds himself facing off against renowned prodigy Seiji Katayama.

Weve only been introduced to a handful of characters so far, but I can NOT wait to learn more
Norah Una Sumner
5. the art is seriously really beautiful
6. ANGST

The Girl Murdered by Her TBR
4 stars!

I rarely read comics but dang it! I enjoyed this one so much!!! I need more of the angst and competitiveness from the these boys.
caravaggion
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
HOW COULD I EVEN FOR A MOMENT DOUBT WETHER I WOULD LIKE THIS OR NOT
OH MY GOD
OH NO
i already sold my soul to this rip see me in fence hell
Meags
4 Stars

Having Pacats name attached to this made it an instant pre-order purchase for me. My hard copy (finally) arrived in the mail today and I immediately halted my regular activities to devour this first volume in quick order.

Yes, it is super short, but I dont really care; where Pacat is concerned, Ill take what I can get, whenever I can get it.

Im already intrigued by the main characters, Nicholas and Seiji. They have a frenemies vibe working for them already and we all know how well Pacats
Anyta Sunday
Oh, God. This has so much potential.
I really need the next issues. Like, now.
If anyone is interested, I went to the launch party for Fence and wrote a blog post about the night, including a pretty extensive transcript of the Q&A!! Check it out here!!
______________________

Um ok wooooowwwwwWW that was amazing!!! RTC once I compile my thoughts

______________________
I can't even begin to explain my excitement for this comic series but I did write up my feelings on my blog so there's that

C.S. Pacat just keeps on giving I love her so much

Aleksandra
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was everything I wanted???

I'm getting such strong vibes similar to Yuri On Ice, Haikyuu!! and The Foxhole Court, all my faves.

It's a very entertaining issue and a great start to the story! We got introduced to the cast and I love Nicholas already!!! Seiji is wow. No words.

I guess I care about fencing now??, who would've guessed.

Johanna the Mad and Joana Lafuente have done a tremendous work, the illustrations look beautiful and characters' design is amazing!

It's my first time reading a comic
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
UPDATE

I liked it but it was too short. The art is amazing! However, it's difficult to talk about the plot since it's just the very beginning. I can't wait for the next volume and to meet all the characters. The ending was.... HAHAHA.

***********************************************

Combat sport? Queer characters? C.S. Pacat? Angst?

✨    jamieson   ✨
Ohhh I really enjoyed this! This is super nice, what a tight little graphic novel. This comic has been getting a lot of attention on my twitter timeline lately, and I was interested because I uhhh, love sport romances.

Fence is a sport graphic novel series about a boy called Nicholas who is beaten 15-0 in a fencing tournament by renowned champion Seiji and now he wants revenge. I believee it may also be an m/m enemies to lovers romance later down the track.

The art is nice, I love the look of it
Alexandra Elend Wolf
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Fencing is a sport of champions. You step onto the piste full of hopes and dreams. Sometimes you win. And sometimes... you're the stepping stone on some else's rise to success."

What a fun, short little ride!

I'm actually really impressed right now because even though it was not even 30 pages long it made me feel something, brought me close to tears and gave me hope and want for the MC to rise and win and achieve his dreams. That's something that even some books don't get right and the fact
♡ Dakota ♡ (Sarcasm is my middle name)
★★★★★ 5 Stars!

Where do I start with this? I find it incredibly challenging to rate graphic novels or comics as its a genre that Im new to and only just exploring. What I will say is Im definitely intrigued. Like I think I am already strongly addicted!

CHARACTERS:

1.) Nicholas Cox: He is our main character and unlike a lot of his fellow peers he doesnt come from money. He also doesnt have a lot of training and comes from a world that others feel makes him below them. This causes him to be an
Maria
Nov 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5.

This was something like all for the game/check, please! crossover but with fencing. Im actually convinced that the mcs real name is not Nicholas Cox at all but Neil Josten. His nemesis name is Seiji Katayama, I mean? Did you spell Riko Moriyama wrong or? Anyways, well see where it goes.
Jes Reads
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Sixteen-year-old Nicholas Cox is an outsider to the competitive fencing world. Filled with raw talent but lacking proper training, he signs up for a competition that puts him head-to-head with fencing prodigy Seiji Katayama...and on the road to the elite all-boys school Kings Row. A chance at a real team and a place to belong awaits himif he can make the cut!"

This was the pick for August's Panels Book Club and I have to say I was so pleasantly surprised! I realize now that I may need even more
Sofia Generali
4/5 stars

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS. It feels so much like a sports anime it's uncanny.

BUT WHY WAS IT SO SHORT?? I SWEAR I FINISHED IT IN 15 MINUTES LIKE WHYYYYYYYYYYYY. I NEED MORE!!

To be fair, it is a comic, and I know they run differently from novels, but still, it was a tad disappointing that it was so short. I'm curious to know what will happen next!

The art is beautiful, the characters are intriguing, and the storyline is just heating up! I can't wait to see where this story goes in volume 2!

Time to
Sara *~The Loquacious Lassie~*
This was so fun! I buddy read this one with one of my GR pals, and I'm so glad that I did. I've seen this comic on lots of "Read This Now!" lists as well as a list I found on GR of the best graphic novels out there. I was a little hesitant at first, as I am more of a fantasy/sci-fi girl, and this was definitely not that.

In the end, I loved it! Mind you- this was VERY YA, so there wasn't a lot of text or depth here. You could probably read the whole volume in an hour if you had the time. I really
Lily ☁️
3 1/2 stars

And so the obsession begins

Blog ¦ Bloglovin ¦ Tumblr ¦ Instagram
Marianne Moresco
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
I'M SOLD. GIVE ME THE NEXT ONE. Thank you.

• Heartstopper: Volume Two (Heartstopper, #2)
  • Heartstopper: Volume One (Heartstopper, #1)
  • Heartstopper: Volume Three (Heartstopper, #3)
  • Heavy Vinyl #2
  • Heavy Vinyl #4
  • Heavy Vinyl #3
  • Bloom
  • Check, Please! Book 1: # Hockey
  • Heavy Vinyl #1
  • Pumpkinheads
  • The Prince and the Dressmaker
  • The Raven King (All for the Game, #2)
  • The King's Men (All for the Game, #3)
  • Red, White & Royal Blue
  • The Avant-Guards #4
  • Heartstopper: The Mini-Comics
  • Sonnet
C.S. Pacat is a Melbourne writer. Her first series the Captive Prince trilogy began its life as an original web serial. Self-published in 2013 to critical and commercial success and acclaim, the Captive Prince trilogy was acquired by Penguin, and will be published worldwide in 2015.

Fence (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Fence #2 (Fence, #2)