Start by marking “The Broken Vow (Spill Zone, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Broken Vow (Spill Zone, #2)

The Broken Vow

(Spill Zone #2)

Only the very brave or the very desperate dare enter the Spill Zone—Addison Merritt is a little of both. In exchange for a suitcase full of cash, she made one last to the Zone. She survived the encounter, but came back changed.

Addison is not alone. In a remote village in North Korea, a young man named Jae was touched by the unholy fire of the Spill Zone. He made it out ali
Published July 10th 2018 by First Second

To ask other readers questions about The Broken Vow, please sign up.
June Sadly, it doesn't look like there will be. On the authors website, a recent blog post makes it seem pretty definite that 'The Broken Vow' is the last …moreSadly, it doesn't look like there will be. On the authors website, a recent blog post makes it seem pretty definite that 'The Broken Vow' is the last (http://www.thespillzone.com/always-al...). Which I'm bummed about, because I have so loved this series!(less)

Start your review of The Broken Vow (Spill Zone, #2)
Patrick
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm not typically the sort of person who picks up a book the day it comes out, but while running errands yesterday, I stopped by the comic shop to clear out my box after at least a month or so, and found out that Spill Zone #2 was out. (But that they couldn't actually sell it to me yet, because it wasn't released until Wednesday.)

And I got pretty excited, because I remember reading the first one and really enjoying it. So today I actually made a special trip to pick this up, and I read both of t
Tina Haigler
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was good, but not as good as the first. It was still a good story, and the art is superb, but having the past conflict shown would've put more emotion into it. There were parts that were really good, hence the four star rating, but I just felt like it was lacking that special something. I think it would've made all the difference to have a flashback to the other world, and showing us the drama between Vespertine and her fiancé, instead of just telling us what happened. A trilogy would've be ...more
Chad
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
A disappointing conclusion to a very intriguing story from volume 1. The art is so muddled and messy, I couldn't really tell what was going on in the last half of the book. We get very little context for what actually happened the night of the incursion. I guess there was a free comic book day comic that explained some of it, but good luck finding that now. It's frustrating that the publisher didn't reprint that in this. Honestly, it felt like volume 3 was canceled halfway through the creation o ...more
Christy
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Do you like sleep? No, you don’t, if you’re reading Spill Zone.

There is literally not one component of this story that is not creepy. The premise, the voice, the art…It’s the most uneasy feeling reading it. Which is why I couldn’t wait for Broken Vow.

Book one left us on a huge cliffhanger, desperate for answers. Broken Vow delivered that and more. When you thought the creatures and zombie-like bodies couldn’t get any creepier, they do!

Two sisters, one creepy doll, and a boy across the world hol
Francine Ferreira
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was overall a good read. A lot of things remained with no answers, but I feel like If I have read the prequel I would get some of the answers I wanted. Unfortunately I cannot find the first story anywhere.
Regardless of that, still loved the colors and graphics of the book, and how the story ended. It wasn’t a great ending, but it wasn’t super predictable either. Although I really enjoyed, I do think this is will be an easily forgettable story.
Fiona
The second volume in this series lives up to all the promise of the first, and expands on it to bring us an even better book this time around.

The art isn't what I usually like but it's effectively used - drawing the completely other, non-euclidean creatures of the Spill can't be easy but it's fantastically done here. The story itself offers more answers and less drawn-out frustration than this kind of story and it's much appreciated!

Free to read online: http://www.thespillzone.com/ - but the phy
Cristina Monica
What the hell?

You know when an author is building up this exciting suspense around a topic or certain aspect of a story, like a location, character, or any other element?

And so you read on, really interested and making up your own theories in your mind. But then we the time comes to reveal what has been concealed in the past, it just… doesn’t blow you away. Or maybe it doesn’t even add up.

I thought this was supposed to be a young adult story. I even praised how serious it was in the past, and ho
Stacee
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
This was deliciously creepy and had such a good ending. I'm curious to see if there will be more because there definitely could be.

**Huge thanks to First Second for providing a finished copy free of charge**
Mitticus
3.3 beware of the wolf stars

Although money doesn't solve everything, it does help. It seems that this time the price has been too high. Addi does not react well when learning certain things, and it seems that everything will end badly.

Jae is a good character, but so strange in certain aspects. My first northkorean one, political sheninagans et al. Government agents, spies and secret agendas. So cliche.

spill-zone-panel

Suddenly, and strangely, this mystery story turned into a kind of twisted fairy tale.

Too ba
Kayla Leitschuh
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This second installment of the Spill Zone series does not disappoint. Full of twists and turns, I couldn't put this book down!
Jay G
Oct 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Want to see more bookish things from me? Check out my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfer...

*Thank you to Raincoast Books and FirstSecond for this copy in exchange for my honest review!*

After making her final trip into The Spill Zone in exchange for a suitcase full of money, her life is changed when she accidentally touches the spill and gains some unique powers. She meets a boy from North Korea named Jae who had a similar experience after touching the spill in his zone. Addi
Faith M ✨
Expanded on the world, but left just enough for me to desperately want more. I must admit, though, that I liked the atmosphere of the first book more. The very ending of this was pretty cool though.
Devann
A pretty decent conclusion to the story started in the first volume. I had forgotten a lot of the background info so it took a few pages for me to jumpstart my brain but once I did I found myself getting back into it. This volume finally fills us in on what actually happened on Spill Night and the reasons behind the formation of the zone. I'm still not entirely sure how I feel about the artwork because the general style is very blocky and sketchy but the colors are gorgeous and so are so many of ...more
Zedsdead
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
Lauren Stoolfire
Excellent follow-up to the first volume in this graphic novel series. I love the use of color in this story. Still so much more I want to know.
Michelle Morrell
Not quite as ambitious or gripping as the first, but still gorgeous art, creepy action, mysterious happenings. A nice round ending (though left open for more).
♠ Tabi ♠
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
description

So, uh, this was a disappointment. It did not deliver thrilling answers, just another weirdly-drawn cliche plot with tropey twists. The finale was flat and rushed, and I'm sorry but this really isn't creepy because no true point is given WHY it should be creepy beyond the horrific setting of the Spill. And again I'm really not a fan of how the Asian characters in here are drawn, written, and it's kinda sad how all the other Koreans are drawn in a very ugly light but the North's you-know-who lead
Emma
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: from-publisher
Three years ago something happened in Poughkeepsie, New York that left the town changed. Inside the Spill Zone nothing is quite right anymore. Dead bodies stand motionless, caught where they fell; strange creatures wander the zone; no one who goes into the zone comes out the same.

Addison thought she was done with the zone when she took one last job to retrieve something from inside. Except she got close enough to touch the spill and now she's changed--just like Jae, a mysterious boy from North K
Dolly
Oct 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people who enjoy reading graphic novels
I eagerly anticipated this follow-up to the first book. Our oldest daughter loved it and I think my hopes were a bit too high. So I was somewhat disappointed by the conclusion of the story. I'm not sure why, but it just didn't leave me feeling satisfied with how it all turned out.

Nevertheless, the storyline was engaging and the illustrations are marvelous, if quite disconcerting in their abstractness. The powerful female protagonist is a highlight of the story and I did appreciate the ending, e
Alicia
Continuing the awesome series debut, the second installment has the action, the oddness, the intrigue, and the next-level artwork that the first one had. And includes the crazy talking doll who takes possession and others get drunk on the power that might lie within the spill zone.
Molly
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The second volume of Spill Zone really doesn't disappoint - the art is still fantastic and there is still a lot to be discovered about the world these characters inhabit.
Luana
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
A few years ago reality was broken in a section of Poughkeepsie, caused by a combination of unknown forces. The event claimed the lives of some of the citizens of this city, including the parents of a young woman called Addison and her younger sister Lexa, and since then Addison has taken on caretaking duties for her little sister which is funded by the pictures she takes of the contaminated spill zone - where reality is at its most perilously fragmented.

At the end of the first graphic novel Add
Alex
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
I lost interest when the story became this...
'I hate you because you killed blah-dee-blah.'
'I only killed blah-dee-blah because they killed so-and-so.'
*** Insert comment from an eavesdropping character. I know, I know. She couldn't help it at this point...
'But I killed all the things so everything is all my fault.' ***
'Marry me so the civil war will end.'
'No! I want to stay with my new BFF!'
UGH.
Kendra
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Definitely suffered a bit due to the fact that I read the first one so long ago. But still so good, still creepy, and I very very very much liked the ending.
Kirsten
Nooo, that seemed like an ending! I'm not ready for that! I want more!
Take Me Away To A Great Read
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
REVIEW TO COME
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy.

SPILL ZONE, the first half of the Spill Zone duology, blew me away. As a result I had very high expectations for THE BROKEN VOW, and unfortunately, it did not live up to them. I'd also note that THE BROKEN VOW is not at all a standalone, and you'd really need to have read SPILL ZONE to even understand what's going on in the story.

First of all - the art. Still amazing. Still creepy. I loved the art in this book so much. It definitely drew me in where th
Elizabeth
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
This was a great graphic novel. The first, Spill Zone, was weird yet fascinating. Broken View had big shoes to fill and did so wonderfully. With the disproportionate creatures and mysterious. More insight was given to the night of the spill, yet I still want more. I hope this is not the end of Addison and Lexia. I want to read more!

Thank you to Net Galley and First Second for access to the digital ARC.
Elisa The-Bookie-Monster
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When I read the first book, I was completely hooked. In the sequel we finally get much needed answers, like who really is Vespertine. I would recommend this for fans of Stranger Things
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was so excited for this but the ending was not great. It was rushed and you could tell. :( It would have been a great ending if it wasn't so rushed... :(

• Animus
  • Last Pick (Last Pick, #1)
  • Born to Run (Last Pick, #2)
  • Delilah Dirk and the Pillars of Hercules (Delilah Dirk, #3)
  • The Hidden Witch (The Witch Boy, #2)
  • Kiss Number 8
  • This Was Our Pact
  • All Summer Long
  • The Midwinter Witch (The Witch Boy, #3)
  • Archival Quality
  • The Divided Earth (The Nameless City, #3)
  • Pumpkinheads
  • The Changeling King (Estranged, #2)
  • Estranged (Estranged, #1)
  • Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me
  • Check, Please! Book 1: # Hockey
  • The Cobalt Prince
  • Fake Blood
Scott Westerfeld is a New York Times bestselling author of YA. He was born in the Texas and now lives in Sydney and New York City. In 2001, Westerfeld married fellow author Justine Larbalestier.

He is best known for the Uglies and Leviathan series. His next book, IMPOSTORS, returns to the world of Uglies. It comes out September 11, 2018.

Spill Zone (3 books)
  • Spill Night (Spill Zone #0.5) (FCBD 2017)
  • Spill Zone (Spill Zone, #1)