Start by marking “Come Back: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Come Back: A Novel

Come Back: A Novel

What if you ran away from home at 17? Would you want to go back? Vi Masters would rather eat nails. But what if your aunt begs you to perform at her 60th birthday bash? She cared for you like neither of your parents ever did. And something about her voice on the phone seems off? Vi can’t say no. How bad can three days be? She can act like she has no secrets for that long, ...more
Published September 18th 2017

To ask other readers questions about Come Back, please sign up.
Sally Crosiar I'm asked that a lot, and... I don't know. I rather liked the uncertainty the characters faced at the end of Come Back. We never know what life will…moreI'm asked that a lot, and... I don't know. I rather liked the uncertainty the characters faced at the end of Come Back. We never know what life will deliver next, so such uncertainty felt real to me. But I'm curious. Which characters do you want to know more about?

There is another cast of characters - the women that Vi worked with before her television career - waiting in the wings. Or I might explore what happens next - or in another ten years - in Jessie's or Shirley's lives. I suppose I might try to find redeeming opportunities for Ben and Tammy, but I'd need to build up my empathy muscles a lot before I'd be up to that task!

And before I were to take on a Come Back sequel, I have other to-do's that demand my attention. I'm deep into my second novel now with a third one pushing at my brain. My aim is to finish those first, and then...who knows?

(less)
Sally Crosiar I'm familiar, Madey, but that's because I wrote the novel, so does that count?

Yes, the book is available on Kindle. Regular price is $2.99, but I do…more
I'm familiar, Madey, but that's because I wrote the novel, so does that count?

Yes, the book is available on Kindle. Regular price is $2.99, but I do offer free promotions every few weeks.

And I deeply appreciate truthful reviews posted on Amazon as well as here on Goodreads. Though Amazon owns Goodreads, reviews are handled separately, and Amazon requires that reviewers write at least 20 words. So you might look at the Amazon listing where their reviews will tell you more about how readers respond to the book.

As I write, Amazon reviews number 45 with an average rating of 4.7 versus the Goodreads reviews that number 79 with an average rating of
4.1.

I appreciate every reader, and I hope you'll be one - and that you enjoy my foray into fiction. Be well. (less)

Catherine Alexandra
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. Straight forward effortless story telling with a myriad of wonderful characters; some quirky, some loveable, some horrible, but all believable! I was hooked from the get go and really want to know what happens next! Sequel please?!
Ashley
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
In the quiet little town of Freedom, Iowa lives the story of multiple families that are always in one another's business. We start the setting with Ben and Jane Johansen who are married with two children: Sonny and Vicky. Jane succumbs to depression and dies younger than expected from health complications and Ben remarries Tammy, who comes from her own dark past. As the kids age and tensions bloom between Vicky and Tammy's son JT, things turn from bad to worse quickly. One quiet night, Vicky dis ...more
Claire Lyons
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful story of redemption and resolution. I enjoyed so many of the characters each carefully developed and woven into the drawing out of a long ago misdeed. The story builds to a dramatic conclusion and despite tackling tricky subjects along the way, the book is a pleasure to read and has some humour and lighter moments that make it a good book to read all the way through if possible.
Sandy
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Come Back

Very entertaining storyline about small town life and the secrets uncovered when a local girl who made it big returns. How many lives will not changed when the secrets are uncovered ??
jimtown
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Come Back has just enough suspense to keep the pages turning. There were some really likable characters and others that were an acquired taste and still others that you loathe. This is not an author that needs to rely on steamy sex scenes to write a romantic suspense novel. It was very well done, a nice diversion from real life.
Bailey Ember
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: women-s-fiction
Light and Fun, Sally Crosair's novel, Come Back, will have readers captivated by her characters.

The characters are real and very well developed, they make it easy for you as the reader to be drawn into.

This novel was very easy to follow. There was something wonderful about how simple it was. I didn't have to overthink things. There was plenty of comic relief in it to lighten any of the deeper moments.

I never felt confused and that is a great testament when you are introducing readers to new ch
Tina hogan Hogan
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sally Crosiar's book Come Back was a fun, quick read that I enjoyed immensely and I do have to say I was intrigued after reading the blurb before I even started reading the book.

When I began the book, it took me a few pages to get into the country swang of the characters. But within minutes I was easily able to detect the accent in the writing.

The story takes place in the small town of Freedom, Iowa, where everyone seems to know everyone's business. Living in a small town myself, the way Crosiar
Laurel
Jun 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Rotating Narrative

Fairly decent plot, but I am not a fan of this kind of narrative. Too many details get retold from different voices, that don't need to be retold. It got very boring reading the same scenes retold over and over. There is a lot of unnecessary hatefulness in this book from unnecessary characters.
Joseph Duba
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Families......good,evil and secrets they hold

Come Back tells the story o

Come back is a good read that tells the story of a young girl as she returns home after running away as a teen. The characters are interesting and well developed as they carry the reader to an emotional compelling end.

Loretta
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: women-s-fiction
I thought this was really well written. It should have felt bitty, since there were four main characters and the POV changed with each chapter, but the author managed it really well. The characters were individual and each had their own distinctive voice.
There is some swearing, including the F word, and there is a dark theme lying beneath, but I found the story compelling.
Debra
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Come Back

This story has so much going on. She left home two months before she would have graduated from high school. She didn't tell anyone where she went or what happened to her. Now she is back and the scan of the past comes off. Lies and deception are given light. In the end there will only be winners and losers. But who will win and who is left in the dirt is this story. Who will be the Phoenix and shine in the end? And will that person be alone or will they have their hearts happy ending? T
Laurie Delaney
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
This novel could have been so much better! The story is good; a big time singer returns to her small Iowa hometown for the birthday party for the woman who raised her. There are secrets, family issues, a renewing relationship. But so many things are wrong with the execution. The hints drag on and on. So many Italics detract from the flow. And a grammar misuse (“he should of known,” “they could of been more caring”) that I know was meant to portray some characters, but was just too annoying. In s ...more
Reba
Nov 27, 2018 rated it did not like it
Decent

This book was a decent read, if only to find out what Tammy would do in the end. Otherwise, it was predictable and there were a lot of grammatical and punctuation errors.
Vicky Schmidt
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book that kept you guessing to the last page. A real page turner.
Rebecca Dunlop
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great read

An amazing story. Told from so many vantage points with just as many life lessons. a must read for everyone
Lynette

• Stella Rose
  • The Last Days of Summer
  • Royal Entertainment
  • As Long As There Is Chocolate
  • The Girl in the Empty Dress (Bennett Sisters #2)
  • Dancing Queen
  • Mulberry Bay: A Novel
  • Girl Gone Greek
  • Whispering Pines (Celia's Gifts Book 1)
Sally Crosiar (rhymes with ‘closure’) is thrilled to announce her debut novel, Come Back! Although the story takes place in Iowa, Sally based her setting on her own hometown, Utica, Illinois. “We lived on a farm just outside Utica until I was 14,” she says. “So I pictured some places I knew well as I wrote – Oak Hill Cemetery, the old Flat Iron building where I had my very first dentist appointmen ...more