Start by marking “Dead Air” as Want to Read:
Dead Air

Dead Air

Dead Air signals trouble at the radio station. Glenn Beckert discovers his high school best friend is shot in the head while on the air. Beck, the owner of Blue Water Security, is employed to provide security for the station.

He becomes willingly embroiled in the investigation by the not-so-innocent widow. The list of potential suspects is long, gleaned from the numerous ex
Published September 26th 2017 by Mill City Press

To ask other readers questions about Dead Air, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Air

Cheryl
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
There is nothing better than a good mystery. Thank you to Mr. Protzman for writing a really good book. There is nothing "dead" about Dead Air. It has great characters, an intriguing storyline, and a few twists along the way.

Glenn is no dummy. He leads the case solving in this story. Although, he has help in the form of an old flame, Irene and frenemy, Lt. Paglironi aka Pag. Pag and Glenn may not come out and admit it but they do respect one another and there might be a slight friend vibe. Irene
Kari
Apr 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, for-review, ipad
Dead Air is the debut offering by the author. It's the first book featuring Glenn Beckett, the owner of Blue Water Security. "Beck" becomes involved in trying to solve the murder of his friend Richie. What at first appears to be a suicide, quickly becomes a murder investigation.

This is an intriguing mystery with a well planned out plot and multiple suspects. It had an old time "noir" feel to it despite being set in modern times. The author laid out the clues at just the right moments
Annie
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Originally published on my blog: Nonstop Reader.

Dead Air is an impressive debut for author Cliff Protzman. I was immediately drawn into this story full force when the main character Glenn Beckert gets a call that his friend Richie has been murdered at Z-rock, Richie's radio station. Beckert's security firm, Blue Water, provides security services for the radio station and his employee was on site when the murder occurred.

The setting is one of the main characters. I grew up around Pittsburgh an
Joyce
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read the Kindle version

4 and 1 / 2 stars

Investigator and owner of Blue Water Security Glenn “Beck” Beckert finds his friend Richie Zito dead at his radio station Z-Rock. One of his operatives was there at the time. Glenn feels that his employee is not telling the truth. Richie’s brother Ron is also at the station.

When the police arrive, Beck has mixed feelings to find his old teammate Lieutenant James “Pags” Paglironi is in charge of the case. Initially shut out by Pags, he learns later that
Kathleen
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In his debut novel, Dead Air, author Cliff Protzman weaves a fast-paced gritty mystery suspense thriller set in Pittsburgh that follows Blue Water Security owner Glenn "Beck" Beckert as he investigates the murder of his best friend, Richie Zito, owner of Open Air Communications and its crown jewel, radio station WZOC, Z-Rock.

Beck receives a call from his security officer at Z-Rock stating that after finishing rounds, he heard dead air from the studio, so he went to investigate and found Richie,
Joan
Apr 06, 2018 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this mystery. Protzman has crafted characters that are believable. The plot was a bit complex and involved illegal activities that had to be uncovered layer by layer. There was a good balance of plot development and action. Protzman did a good job with description, detailing just enough of a character's clothing, for example, so I could picture him. He did the same with scene description. Many restaurants and other businesses were mentioned by name. It gave me a sense of really experie ...more
Heather Martin
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
**Copy provided to Bayou Book Junkie for my reading pleasure in hopes of an unbiased opinion, a review was not a requirement.**

Dead Air is a murder mystery focusing on the death of Richie while on air. His death at first appears to be a suicide since Richie is alone in the locked room, with a gun. His best friend, Beck, who provides security is called to the scene and doesn’t believe it’s suicide. Beck is hired by the new widow to find out who killed Richie.

Though this book is contemporary, it
Ornella G
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is a really good read. I don't normally pull for a mystery book but I'm glad I did. Although the banger at the beginning is the death of Richie, I do think the book begins at a relatively slow pace in order to set the stage for the mystery. We are totally engaged as we travel along with Beck as he tries to find the murderer. I loved how detailed the character descriptions were and how each character's motive
Valerie
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this story. I felt the author did a marvelous job with character development and storyline. I was captivated by the end of the first chapter and couldn't put this book down. I felt the level of mystery and the twists and turns this book took showed a great deal of planning and execution on the authors part. This is my first novel by this author, but I am definitely looking forward to reading more of their work! Highly recommended read!
Lee
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an intense mystery. I like the main character, Glenn Beckert. He's a smart, tough guy, who is quick to jump into an investigation when his long-time friend is murdered. From the beginning, Beck is suspicious of several people, and there are some strange things happening behind the scenes. Enough happens that it keeps your attention throughout the story. Irene is a worthy companion detective, as she helps Beck investigate the murder. I love the obvious chemistry between the two, and defin ...more
Crystal
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Glenn "Beck" Beckert runs security for a radio station where his high school friend Zito works. While Zito is at work he is shot in the head. This puts being involved in the investigation. Beck finds out there is a long list of suspects.

This book contains betrayal, mystery suspense, old loves, suspense. This is a mystery packed book leaving you wondering who did it? I really enjoyed this book a lot and would definitely recommend it!
Kathy
Jan 29, 2018 rated it liked it
The mystery Dead Air was an interesting read for me, especially since it took place in Pittsburgh. I have family there and have spent time in the city.
I enjoyed the way the story was narrated by the main character. You were with him as he followed the different leads to figure out who had committed the murder of his friend.
I found it to be an enjoyable fast paced book.
David McClendon, Sr
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
We are not normally fans of fiction. One reason for this is that we usually find ourselves asking, “Is this a likely event? Could this really happen?”

David spent his early days studying radio and all things audio. The idea that a disc jockey could be killed while on a live show has been approached a few times by various writers.

Is the story plausible? Maybe, but one has to weed through countless profane words and advertisements for an adult beverage and a chain of sandwich shops to get to the a
Melinda Anders
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This one is for readers that enjoy a good detective story. The main character is very likable.
Laura Reading
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fast paced crime mystery dealing with deception and dark subject matters.
Like the author, our hero, Glenn Beckert, or Beck, had been involved in banking. He also thought about a future in baseball. But his career is now as a P.I. after several life disappointments and a general distrust of, and perhaps a dislike for, most people.
If you have any knowledge of broadcast media, specifically radio, you know that when an on-air personality needs to take a break, for whatever reason, they play a long
Nancy
May 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Dead air is a big no-no at radio stations. As a high school student with a fifteen minute program, I was petrified of running out of things to say. I can only imagine how horrible that would be for a professional.

This book highlights a more sinister way of causing dead air. Why did someone want Richie Zito dead? Who wanted him dead? Truth is there seem to be way too many people who weren’t all that upset with his death. Not even the DA and police really want to get involved. They seem to especia
Carol Keen
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A mystery with some grit, I loved the radio station. I've always been fond of them, and I've been in some. I have family who's worked in them. I didn't find the book to be seriously lacking in any area and it was a well-paced read. "Beck" as he is called was a pretty good character and as a debut book, this one works for me!

My copy came from Net Galley. My thoughts and opinions are my own. This review is left of my own free volition.
Rick Molitor
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a good story. The characters were well developed and you can tell that this will be the first of a series. There is an interesting dynamic between Beck and Pags. Irene provides the romantic interest and technical partnership. I am looking forward to book two.
Wesley Britton
Destiny Brown
Jan 12, 2018
Lulu Tang
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a fast paced thriller. I particularly liked the main character Beck. This is the first book I’ve read by Cliff Protzman and it won’t be the last. The story went at a good pace and kept me hook until the end.

Thank you #net galley for the opportunity to read this book.
Mindy Detweiler
Apr 18, 2018
Vivienne Begg
Oct 25, 2017
Ashraful Islam
rated it did not like it
Apr 18, 2018
Gail
Cathy
Carol
Oct 23, 2017
  • The Sweetest Spark (The Spark Brothers #3)
  • A Spell of Murder (Witch Cats of Cambridge #1)
  • For the Love of Laura Beth
  • Beneath the Lighthouse
  • A Snow Globe Christmas (Ornamental Match Maker Series #5)
  • Star Spangled Second Chance (Holidays in Applewood #4)
  • A Friend in Paris
  • Hope's End: Ancient Enemy 3
  • His Christmas Wish (Mountain Rescue Romance #1)
  • Winner Takes All (Warriors of the Heart #4)
  • Taming Scrooge
  • Knights After My Heart (Knights, #1)
  • Marrying Miss Kringle: Frost
  • Jaclyn and the Beanstalk
  • A Me and You Thing
  • The Songs That Brought Me Back (The Songs #2)
  • Wings of the Wicked: A Limited Edition Urban Fantasy Collection
  • Christmas Secrets
Cliff Protzman was a winner in the 2015 real life writing contest, Unfinished Chapters. He was born in Pittsburgh and attended the University of Pittsburgh. After a long career in banking and finance he is enjoying his passion to write. Cliff is a member of the Mystery Writers of America and Pennwriters. Cliff is an avid baseball fan, especially his beloved Pittsburgh Pirates.