Start by marking “The Wife Between Us: The First Four Chapters” as Want to Read:
The Wife Between Us: The First Four Chapters

The Wife Between Us: The First Four Chapters

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  747 ratings  ·  93 reviews
A novel of suspense that explores the complexities of marriage and the dangerous truths we ignore in the name of love.

When you read this book, you will make many assumptions.
You will assume you are reading about a jealous wife and her obsession with her replacement.
You will assume you are reading about a woman about to enter a new marriage with the man she loves.
You will a

Published October 3rd 2017 by St. Martin's Press

really liked it 4.00  ·

Linda Strong
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
THIS IS A REVIEW OF THE FIRST 4 CHAPTERS ONLY

Nellie is engaged to Richard. Nellie is being followed ... by Vanessa, Richard's ex-wife. Vanessa lost her husband, her home, her life style when Richard told her to leave. Now she's preoccupied with the much younger, prettier woman.

Do you believe any of that? Is it the truth? A lie? A partial truth?

The book promises twists and turns that will astound us, the readers. The first chapters are told mainly in Vanessa's voice. Of course, that may change. T
Cheryl Kennedy
An option for readers before the release date (1-9-18) is to read a Kindle edition of the first four chapters of THE WIFE BETWEEN US BY Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen. After finishing the fourth chapter, I am sold on the foreshadowing, the plot moves on a smooth rail between scenes, and the writing is miles above the ground. I can't wait to read the novel in full, and hope it never lands!
Rea Frey
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
From the very first page, I knew I was in for a fun ride. I love reading twisty thrillers with a strong female voice. Because I received an ARC from our publisher, St. Martin's Press, and was made aware of all the twists and turns, I read it from the lens of seeing if I could figure out what was around the corner.

And I was pleasantly surprised.

With a plot that reminded me of Sleeping With the Enemy to the shocking bombshell at the end, I relished in spending time dissecting this marriage and a
Cindy Roesel
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
ASSUME NOTHING.
Women's fiction's obsession with domestic psychological thrillers continues into 2018 with THE WIFE BETWEEN US (St.MartinsPress) written by Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen. We know there are three sides to every story, but what's going on between Nellie, Emma and Richard involves many, many more. Who is the liar? Who is telling the truth? Assume nothing.
When you read this book, you will make many assumptions, but that will be a mistake. You will assume you are reading about an
Nicole SY
Nov 16, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 ⭐
It's slight confusing at the start.
Cheryl
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Earlier today, I added this book to my TBR list. A few hours later, I was able to read 4 Chapters, and I was correct in putting this one on my list!

If the rest of this book is anything like the first 4 Chapters, I know this will be one book that I won't be able to put down! From what I read, this sounds like a 5/5 read!

Vanessa, ex-wife of Richard, is stalking his fiance Nellie. She thinks Nellie is the reason for the demise of their marriage. However, she hints that if people knew what role she
Karen
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
THE WIFE BETWEEN US WRITTEN BY GREER HENDRICKS

This was a slow burning psychological thriller that for personal reasons I picked to read based on the title only. I don't usually choose my books to read for the title only. At times this was confusing for me (It might just be me), but I kept confusing the ex-wife Vanessa with the engaged Emma. I would have to go back and re-read it to know for sure, but the narrative seems to intermingle Vanessa and Emma's jobs and Aunt Charlotte who is a great sup
Kathleen Sherman
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well that was quite a ride! Hard to put down once you start. Couldn't wait to see what happened next.
Patricio
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
NOTE: This was only a sample of the first four chapters of this book.
3,5
The premise of the book was enough to make me curious, and these few pages I read were really amazing. I could see that The Wife Between Us has great potential, and I believe it'll reach it because the story is compelling, with a unique character, Vanessa, who has a different, specific goal in her mind, and I'd love to know how it'll be explored.

I didn't actually care about Nellie, though, so I'm wondering if she'll evolve
Arathi Nobles
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Four stars because I couldn’t tear myself away from it. I understand and agree with the bad ratings too but I actually kind of liked this in the way I like John Grisham books- not looking for a classic- just a little entertainment. I thought the ending was weak.
Jennifer Walsh
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great suspense/ mystery/ thriller!

I didn't want to put it down!!!
Lindi
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book! Very suspenseful and engaging throughout the whole book. I always wanted to keep reading. Lots of twists.
Laura Johnson
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Psychological thriller that kept me guessing until the end. Some aspects were a bit of a stretch but overall it was a great book that I couldn't put down.
Jessica Whitney
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The authors vividly and accurately capture the experience of emotional abuse within a romantic relationship. The minor invalidations, the nurturing of confusion, doubt, and reliance on the abuser, the gaslighting...all captured very realistically. This felt like reading a story I knew quite well. Page turner, read it in 2 days!
Victoria Bunce
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: psychological thriller
Shelves: reviewed
Perfect life or a perfect nightmare? Bam! I'm hooked!

Perfect husband. Check.
Perfect wife. Check.
Fairytale wedding. Check.
Perfect life. Check...or maybe not...

Bam! This psychological thriller gave me whiplash and I've only read the first four chapters of THE WIFE BETWEEN US! Five stars is not enough! Four chapters is not enough! I need the whole book stat!

First, I love the cover. It's quite eerie with the two similar women, plus the blue color sets the tone for what you might find inside. I
Rebekah
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am already totally hooked on this one. The story of an ex plotting revenge on her replacement is really nothing new, or so I thought until I started reading this. It's hard to explain, but the tone the authors set and where they choose to start the narrative make it clear that this is a new take on the idea.
I love the switch between perspectives. I am a sucker for that kind of narrative shift, especially when it's done well, as it is here. Rather than just moving back and forth without changi
Kami
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Tonia Amet
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
One of the many things I enjoyed about this book was the ending. It came out of nowhere for me and left my jaw on the floor; that's an awesome book in my opinion. Not to spill any details but, when the "truth" was revealed, it was totally unexpected. I honestly thought I had this book figured out and could guess what was going to happen, but was I mistaken. There were so many twists and turns and the plot of the story was beyond excellent. A really good read full of suspense and thrills.
Kristin
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Mary Seraichick
Jan 31, 2019 rated it liked it
I found this book to be a very compelling read and I would have given it more stars as a rating except that the amount or characters who were manipulative, scheming, plotting was excessive. I felt that the use of the main character, Vanessa (aka Nellie), as a narrator was effective. Her story as she decended into becoming a non-person at the hands of her manipulative husband, Richard, was believable. The ending of the novel was forced as Vanessa (aka Nellie) reveals herself as a more assertive, ...more
Sarah Smith
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book gripped me from the first page and I could not put it down! This is a story about what happens behind closed doors within a marriage, and that you can’t always take appearances at face value. It tells the story of Vanessa, who is left devastated with nothing after losing her husband to another woman. But who is her replacement and who is telling the real story of Vanessa and Richard’s marriage and its ultimate demise? “The Wife Between Us” is chock full of twists and turns, and will ta ...more
Gloria
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A Must Read!
This page turner is told from the perspective of two very different women, who also have much in common. One is the ex-wife of a successful businessman who has lost herself in despair over the death of her marriage, and is particularly distraught to learn that he is to be remarried. She suffers all the signs of depression - drinking, obsessive thoughts, isolation...and is humiliated waiting on a woman who was formerly in the same social circle.
The other is a young, independent woman
Babs
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Started out full of suspense. With every page I turned, I felt something was about to happen! I kept waiting! And waiting! Nothing ever really did get going to me. All along, I felt I was trying to figure out each character. It was a little confusing at times. I felt as if pages were stuck together and I was missing a page due to the ‘jumping around effect’. Nope, pages were not stuck, it was just a little confusing. A few times I felt like the authors had described a detail and then described t ...more
Tiffany Elaine
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a great, juicy, character-driven mystery slash thriller with a great twist! I really enjoyed the juxtaposition of the two writers expressing their different points of view, but all with a cohesive experience for the reader. This was un-put-downable for me, although that just means I didn't push 'pause' on the audio version! I like that it was truly about state-of-mind and perception versus many of the thrillers out there today which are just variations on Gone Girl. I highly recommend i ...more
Cynthia
What you get when you pick up this book and open it to the first page is suspense, some chills, and a lot of question that might take a little while to answer. The story comes across as stalking, revenge but there is so much more. Be prepared for some shockers as the authors twist and spin this to keep your attention holding it and leave you wondering what the heck is going on. Nothing is as it seem…

Well written, with some very good characters and scene that will stay with you for a long time to
Lorri
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
Since this was listed as a thriller I wanted to read it. It is far from a thriller - it is more chick lit. I wanted to like it but I didn't. It goes back and forth between two women who both like the same guy. One happens to be married to him, then divorced. It seems she is obsessed with the younger woman, but there is a reason. I can't say too much because it will give the story away. Anyway, if you are looking for a good thriller, this isn't it, but if you enjoy chick kit you will probably enj ...more
Pamala
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
A suspense filled novel about deceit and mind games.
The book is from Vanessa’s point of view
She is also referred to a Nellie
I had no idea what was going on until almost the end.
Richard is a master at mind games. He perfected it on his first wife, then Nellie and she’ll do everything in her power to stop him from hurting Emma next.
Things are not what they seem
People are not who they pretend to be
I always say things that happen during childhood influence us more than we remember. Little things
Kathryn Felts
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Twisty Good!

Oddly, I had low expectations for this book. Mostly because everyone I knew who had read it loved it and the reviews were great. While I use this very method to choose books, I feared all the hype would leave me disappointed. I was not disappointed at all! I loved it! The characters had depth and the plot was twisty, surprising me along the way. I won’t say more because I detest spoilers. I’ll only say yes, I would highly recommend it.
Jamie Shell
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I would highly recommend adding this to your list of books to read! Received this as an advance reader copy. I thought I understood what was going on and then boom a change in the plot--there were twists and turns throughout that kept me guessing. I couldn't wait to get back to reading it to find out what was going on. I didn't see the ending coming. Goes on sale January 9th--(i did that it was is one of the Dec choices for the book of the month club). Get your copy! You won't be sorry!!
Sandra
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am going to have to buy the book on my nook because it definitely got my attention. Husband left wife for a younger woman and now the ex wife is following the new woman. The obvious seems to lead to the ex wife being a little crazy over the break up and is going to hurt the new woman but since the book promises shocking twists you don't see coming the obvious plot cannot be where the story will go. Intrigued!

• Relative Strangers
  • Confessions of a Serial Alibi
  • Together: Our Community Cookbook
  • The Suitcases
  • First Dads: Parenting and Politics from George Washington to Barack Obama
  • The Norton Anthology of American Literature
  • Counterfeit Dreams
  • Long Mile Home: Boston Under Attack, the City's Courageous Recovery, and the Epic Hunt for Justice
  • Emotional Intelligence: A Practical Guide
  • October
  • The Freedom Line: The Brave Men and Women Who Rescued Allied Airmen from the Nazis During World War II
  • Double Exposure: A Twin Autobiography
  • Lady with Lapdog and Other Stories
  • Three by Tennessee: Sweet Bird of Youth; The Rose Tattoo; The Night of the Iguana
  • The Paris Package
  • The Wardrobe Mistress
  • Children of the Salt Road
  • Mexico: Stories
Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen are the co-authors of the blockbuster New York Times bestseller, THE WIFE BETWEEN US, as well as the forthcoming, AN ANONYMOUS GIRL. AN ANONYMOUS GIRL has been optioned for a television series by eOne, with Sarah and Greer executive producing. THE WIFE BETWEEN US has been optioned for film by Amblin Entertainment, with Sarah and Greer screenwriting the adaptation ...more