Start by marking “Fresh Eggs and Dog Beds” as Want to Read:

Fresh Eggs and Dog Beds

(Fresh Eggs and Dog Beds #1)

Nick and Lesley Albert yearn to leave the noise, stress and pollution of modern Britain and move to the countryside, where the living is good, the air sweet, with space for their dogs to run free. Suddenly out of work and soon to be homeless, they set off in search of a new life in Ireland, a country they had never visited. As their adventure began to unfold, not ...more
Kindle Edition, First, 246 pages
Published September 25th 2017 by Ant Press

To ask other readers questions about Fresh Eggs and Dog Beds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fresh Eggs and Dog Beds

Start your review of Fresh Eggs and Dog Beds
Dash fan
4☆ A Heartwarming, Fun and Witty Memoir.

Firstly I want to say how much I love this fun, eye catching book cover!

Fresh Eggs and Dog Beds is a heart warming, Witty, Memoir of starting over and escaping the rat race.

Nick has had a pretty serious stress attack and his friend and Dr warns him if he don't slow down he might not be so lucky next time.

Armed with that scary knowledge, Nick resigned from his extremely high pressured job. Nick and his wife Lesley decide that they need a change from the
Julie Haigh
An absolute pleasure to read from start to finish!

'Fresh Eggs and Dog Beds' is a delightful book about Nick and wife Lesley's move to rural Ireland. It contains many of my favourite 'book ingredients': Animals, uprooting and moving on to pastures new, doing up property, with sprinkles of humour too. An excellent read not to be missed. A charming memoir.

From the fresh, inviting, colourful cover, to the excellent, polished writing, this book was a definite winner for me. It was very easy to read;
Feb 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
With dark humor and the ability to see the bright spots in all situations, this would appeal to persons who enjoy home make over shoes and those with a sense of adventure.
Sophie Crane
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A potentially life-threatening health scare causes the author to resign from his job and relocate with his wife to Ireland. And what a change this proves to be.

Nick, and his wife, Lesley, decide to buy a property in a rural part of the country. Sounds simple enough, but it proves to be much easier said than done.

The reader is treated to rich accounts of the properties they visit, misadventures along the way and delightful anecdotes about their dogs. Particular highlights for me are the authors
Pat Ellis
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I beta read this super memoir - I absolutely loved it. Delightfully written - a real journey with the author and his wife on their move to Ireland. Funny & heart-warming.
Rebecca L.
Feb 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Fresh Eggs and Dog Beds by Nick Albert is a fun and quirky book. I listened to this book on audio, and the narrator did a great job of bringing the story to life. Certain parts of the book are a little slow (I know nothing about the intricacies of real estate or what it takes to purchase land in any country, nonetheless a foreign one) but the narrators lively manner of speaking kept me engaged and made me want to keep reading.

The majority of this book focuses on the challenges that one couple
Susan
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Nick and Lesley like most of us wish they could leave the hustle and bustle life of town and working and live in the country. But, as usual, making a living and raising a family gets in the way. The day comes when the job is gone and they need to sell their house or be homeless. They go to Ireland a few times looking for a place but everything is more expensive and heavens forbidnot move in readyin the country (not in their price range). The day comes when they find a place, finally sell their ...more
C.
O-M-G SOOOOOOOOOO SLLLLLOOOOOOOOWWWWW! I think it was a mistake to try another ex-pat book after being enchanted by the wonderful~ An Olive Grove at the Edge of the World How two American city boys built a new life in rural New Zealand by Jared Gulian ,since it will be so difficult for another to even come close.

This book had none of that book's charm, humor, really nothing to take away the feeling of frustration. The author plainly dislikes England, and continually pointed out how much better in so many ways..... Ireland and the Irish are, yet it was nearly impossible for them to find a decent, affordable
Beth Haslam
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Laurie
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this memoir of travels and a move to Ireland

Nick and Lesley are fed up with the fast paced life in the UK and set out looking for other countries to make a new life in. They decide on Ireland and set out to make it their new home and soon find out the quirkiness of the Irish way, which both frustrates and pushes them harder to make it all happen. Nick Alberts' writing is humorous and easy flowing. A thoroughly enjoyable and informative read for anyone wanting to visit, move or just
Jane Hunt
I dont do many audiobook reviews, but they are great, for someone like me. I can work on something else, whilst Im enjoying the story someone is reading to me, its like being a child again, lovely.

This escape to the country, or strictly speaking escape the UK, is an interesting memoir. Full of life events affecting Nick and his wife, as they decide to give up the rat race and move to rural Ireland. I expected lots of life experiences and mishaps as the couple lived the dream in a rural idyll.
Amanda
Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
I usually review fiction books but every so often, I do love to read a good non-fiction book. Well they do say that a change is as good as a rest. The eye catching, bright cover immediately caught my attention and I loved the synopsis of the book. I eagerly started to read the book. Having just finished reading 'Fresh Eggs & Dog Beds', all I can say is that I thoroughly enjoyed reading it, but more about that in a bit.
This book appealed to me from the start because I just love the idea of
Donna Maguire

I love the cover for this book and it suits the book really well!

The people in the book are fabulous, I thought that they all had great personalities and it was really fun getting to follow the story with them too.

I thought that this was a well written memoir and I loved it from start to finish it is a funny and heartwarming story and it times they were really selling moving away to me too! I cant wait to read the second book now too!

I loved the authors
Misfits farm
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing

Nick has just given up his job due to his health and fortunately redundancy was on the table. He has led a very stressful life and now its time for something new. They are looking for somewhere new to live to downsize price wise. After working out the logistics Ireland becomes a possibility. They take a short break to discover what the Emerald Isle has to offer and discover much more than they ever thought! Drivers who wave, people who chat, odd and eccentric nuances that they would never have
Irene Moyer
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Funny andinteresting

I want more books already! Made me reconsider priorities and think about the importance of deciding to leave the modern art race. Sweet, self deprecating, delightful book about a move to rural Ireland.
Melissa
Feb 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
For almost my entire adult life, Ive loved stories of people moving to new places and building or refurbishing their homes. Peter Mayles A Year in Provence was my gateway book in this respect, but since then, Ive read many others.

It should be no surprise, then, that when given the opportunity to read and review Fresh Eggs and Dog Beds, the first book in Nick Alberts saga of moving from England to Ireland to revamp, not only a secondhand home, but also his own life, I leapt at the chance with all
Sue
Feb 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Having been told by his doctor that he needs considerably less stress in his life, Nick Albert knows that he needs to make some big changes. Fortunately his wife, Lesley, is up for a taste of the quiet life too.

After Nick takes redundancy and their beloved home goes on the market, all that remains is to decide where their next home will be. After some discussion, Nick and Lesley eventually decide that rural Ireland is just the spot they are looking for - even though they have never even visited
Yvonne
Feb 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Oh my goodness what a fabulous book this is. Following a diagnosis from his Doctor, Nick needs to drastically change his lifestyle. Stress had been a major part of his job and it has taken its toll. Along with his wife Lesley, decide to sell up and start somewhere new with a slower paced lifestyle.

Fresh Eggs and Dog Beds is a fabulous account of the journey this couple made to finally discover a new home and they decide on the move Ireland. This book is great fun to read and it had me smirking
Rebecca
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir
Fresh Eggs and Dog Beds
I was lucky enough to have been a Beta reader for this memoir and what a great memoir it is!.
Following a warning from his doctor to change his stressful lifestyle or risk his health Nick is forced to reassess his life and future plans. He and his wife Lesley come to a decision. Nick accepts his redundancy and Lesley proposes moving to Ireland to start a new life.
Plans are made to travel to Ireland specifically County Clare. Of course nothing is straightforward and some
Jan
Terrific story very well written and funny as can be! After getting a wake up call from his doctor and separating from his high stress job, Nick and Lesley decided to relocate to a more rural area (they already have dogs and chickens) and they have modernized a house or two in the past. Another plus is his active history of working in golf courses. After thoroughly recounting past history of friends and family he brings the reader to the point of making the choice to move to Ireland. More fun ...more
Lindsay Feliz
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read a lot of memoirs, and Fresh Eggs and Dog Beds by Nick Albert is probably the best one I have ever read.
Nick, and his wife Lesley are in a situation I am sure many will identify with, living in the stress filled, fast paced England, like hamsters running round a round in a wheel. They decide to move to Ireland and the book covers their journey to find the perfect house and then to begin their new life.
The writing is lovely and the characterization is excellent, not only of the people but
Paul Catterton
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Almost enough to make you move

As a recent retiree I enjoyed Nick's explanation of the forces that pushed he and Lesley to leave the familiar and assume the adventure that became Ireland. The reads of Ireland are tempting enough to almost persuade the rest of us to join them! After all, who really loves being stuck in traffic, rampant crime and the vulnerability that comes in today's urban lifestyle? Nick is a realist too; it's not all rainbows and unicorns moving to another country and culture.
Leanne Hunt
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
An easy-to-read, entertaining and evocative account of a middle-aged couple's decision to reinvent themselves as country folk in County Clare, Ireland. The story is told from the perspective of British city-dwellers, which means there is lots of opportunity for self-deprecating humour. Beginning with the first stirrings of discontent in the midst of the rat race, it tracks the protagonist's growing enthusiasm for change and his willingness to attempt never-before-tackled challenges like scaling ...more
Judy
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir, living-abroad
I read a lot of books about people moving to other countries to change their lives. This one, which tells of an English couple moving to Ireland, I think is one of the better written ones. It clearly lays out the motive of moving to another country to simplify your life. It also admits some of the concerns such as having to leave your family behind, and shows some of the pitfalls of buying property in another country. But mainly, this memoir is just funny! The author has a self-deprecating humor ...more
Suzan
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
I was gifted this audiobook with the understanding that I would leave an honest review.

This book was wonderful. From the very begaining I was caught up in Nick and Lesley's adventure to finding a new home and life. Nick and Lesley live in England with all the stress, noice, and pollution that comes with living in a modern city life. So they go looking for somewhere with less stress and more countryside. They take us on their adventure and it is a grand ride. Be ready to laugh and cry out at the
Jilly
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
I really enjoyed this book. It is a real life story about a middle aged couple who decided to quit the rat race and move to Ireland a country they have never even visited before. They eventually purchase a very delapidated cottage which will take many years to turn into the home of their dreams.

It is a laugh out loud book in many places and I loved the anecdotes about the dogs and the chickens.

I think this kind of book always appeals to me as one of my pipe dreams is to move to Majorca and
E.J. Bauer
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I loved the author's ability to gently roll the reader through his story of moving from England to Ireland. I could see so much of his new farm and the surrounding countryside through his descriptions and fell in love with his little corner of Ireland. If you like stories of brave souls making a new start and all the animals, quirky neighbours and learning curves that entails then treat yourself to this delightful memoir.
Helen Jurie
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very refreshing to read a book about a couple moving to Ireland. Not France, not Spain, instead glorious, green, moist Eire.
The idiosyncratic Irish welcome newcomers warmly.
Descriptions of the surrounds of County Clare give the reader a clear picture so that you are able to hold them in your minds eye quite clearly.
A new life,where there may have been none had Lesley and Nick (Mick) not have made this choice.
Full of kind characters that could only ever be ☘ Irish.
sharon gima
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great go to bed book.

Loved the descriptive writing of both places and action. The author is especially adept at painting comedic pictures of everyday situations and making them seem as though every second of the happening was real. Everything was believable and I didn't hesitate for a second to click on receiving the next book.
Lisa Overman
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
A Humorous and Entertaining Journey

Having faced my own job stress life decisions, I enjoyed following this couples journey to a new country. Having lived as an expat I found their experiences and descriptions both amusing and enjoyable to read. I look forward to reading part two.

• Two Old Fools in Turmoil
  • Two Old Fools Down Under
  • The Reluctant Farmer of Whimsey Hill
  • Two Old Fools on a Camel: From Spain to Bahrain and Back Again (Old Fools, #3)
  • Two Old Fools in Spain Again (Old Fools, #4)
  • Chickens, Mules and Two Old Fools: Tuck into a Slice of Andalucían Life (Old Fools, #1)
  • The Reluctant Expat: Part One - Surprised by Spain
  • A Kilo of String
  • The Reluctant Expat: Part Two - Finding my Feet
  • Pensioners in Paradis
  • Two Old Fools - Olé: Another Slice of Andalucian Life (Old Fools, #2)
  • Swallows & Robins - The Guests In My Garden
  • The Reluctant Expat: Part Three - Getting Ahead
  • The Reluctant Expat: Part Four - Settling Down
  • The Young Country Doctor Book 1: Bilbury Chronicles
  • In Foreign Fields: How Not To Move To France
  • An Olive Grove at the Edge of the World: How two American city boys built a new life in rural New Zealand
  • The Young Country Doctor Book 2: Bilbury Grange
Nick Albert was born and raised in England. After a hectic career in financial services, he relocated to rural Ireland, bought a dilapidated farmhouse, and began writing full-time. His first book was the twisty thriller Wrecking Crew.
In 2017 he was signed to Ant Press. His new book Fresh Eggs and Dog beds was an instant Amazon bestseller. Book two in the series was published in June 2018 and book

Fresh Eggs and Dog Beds (2 books)
  • Fresh Eggs and Dog Beds 2: Still Living the Dream in Rural Ireland

News & Interviews

“How he had managed to lift the sofa, let alone ride a bike with it, was a mystery.” 0 likes
“Can’t I put them in the back of the car?” “Not if you don’t want them flying around the car you can’t!” someone said. “Loose chickens ‘ave to wear a seatbelt,” a second voice added. “It’s the law.” 0 likes