Start by marking “Coyote Doggirl” as Want to Read:
Coyote Doggirl

Coyote Doggirl

Coyote Doggirl is Hanawalt’s homage to and lampoon of Westerns like Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, featuring a fiercely independent female protagonist who sews her own crop tops and has no patience for etiquette. A gifted equestrian, Coyote Doggirl is half dog, half coyote, and a whole lot of attitude. She and her steed Red are on the run from a trio of vengeful bad g ...more
Published 2018 by Drawn and Quarterly

To ask other readers questions about Coyote Doggirl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coyote Doggirl

Sam Quixote
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
Lisa Hanawalt’s best known for designing the look of the Netflix show Bojack Horseman, which is mostly superb (season four jumped the shark). Her comics though? Bah. No - just terrible!

Coyote Doggirl and her trusty steed Red are on the run from evil men chasing her across the prairie. Will she… eh, whatever. It’s your standard Western. Stuff happens, she predictably overcomes some obstacles, the end.

It’s a boring story that doesn’t really do anything except go through ticking off the list of t
David Schaafsma
Talented illustrator Lisa Hanawalt's longest sustained narrative, a pretty entertaining feminist western featuring a, yes, anthropomorphic coyote doggirl and her faithful non-anthropomorphic horse Red. Pursued by "guys" and shot be their arrows, she is rescued by a wolf clan until she can be reunited with Red. That's pretty much it.

The best things about this is--as it was with My Dirty Dumb Eyes and Hot Dog Taste Test--is her striking use of color. And she's funny, profanely so in places. And if
Krista Regester
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am not** a horse girl. But this was good.
Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Surreal and original - Coyote Doggirl weaves a dream landscape and invites you in.
Miriam
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic
A happy-go-lucky, not-super-bright, fashion-forward coyote and her best buddy Red the pony have some misadventures.

Hannah Garden
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: march-2019, comics
Has Lisa Hanawalt been sent to this planet to rule us all??

I hope so.

Girl's got a real weird hitch in her giddyup.
Stewart Tame
Jun 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Something like a Western. Coyote Doggirl is on the run from some men who want her dead. During the pursuit, she becomes badly wounded and--even worse--separated from her horse, Red. A native wolf tribe nurses her back to health, but Red is nowhere to be found. And so the search begins …

This was a light, quick read. Lisa Hanawalt’s style is colorful and engaging. CD is a fun character. The book is perhaps on the simplistic side. Stuff happens. More stuff happens. Conflict is resolved. The end. Th
Lauren
If you have ever sought a feminist western starring a half dog/half coyote who likes to design functional travel clothing, and perform stunts while riding horseback, Coyote Doggirl is just the graphic novel for you.
Rod Brown
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
My defenses were up as I started reading this graphic novel because I really had no use for Hanawalt's Hot Dog Taste Test, but I was won over in the first few pages when I realized this was simply a story about a woman's love of horseback riding. Sure, there are some bad guys and action sequences, but mostly this is a book about the love of horses. Which, weirdly, has been a theme in several other good books I've read this month: Live Long and. . .What I Learned Along the Way, 銀の匙 Silver Spoon 4 ...more
MKK
Nov 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Hanawalt is a bit of an all-star via her work on BoJack Horseman. This is a lampoon of westerns using feminist anthropomorphized characters with dreamy watercolours and a healthy dose of love for horses.
Michelle
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-reads
I loved this book. A feminist western is right up my alley and the art is 👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👌. I had a few uneasy moments around the wolves and their teepees... I know it’s a western and that’s part of the aesthetic but...
Shazia
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I’ve been meaning to read this one for a while and I’m glad I finally did! The story unravels at an even pace and keeps the reader interested till the very end. There is a dark scene about halfway through the book in which you find out why Doggirl is being hunted by some men (or uh male dogs?) and why they tried to kill her at the beginning of the comic. The artwork is amazing - I love the colors and Hanawalt’s drawing style. Overall, a definite recommendation!
Adam Stone
Aug 20, 2018 rated it liked it
A lot of indie graphic novels feel, to me, kind of aimless, and more focused on experimentation in narrative than telling a compelling story. This is not one of those indie graphic novels.

Hanawalt is a really smart storyteller, and has a quirky sense of dialogue that doesn't always jibe with me, but is never accidental or inept. Her riffs on Western tropes are intriguing, and never seem trite. Overall, the book was a little too spare for me to enjoy. Much like Westerns. So, again, she was totall
Nate D
Oct 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Half dog, half coyote (in no way human, though humanoid), pursued by dogmen seeking revenge. This is basically a western, notably a Hanawalt western for playing with the relationships of anthropomorphic and non-anthropomorphic animals and for its offhanded slacker millennial feminist vibe and dialogue. Enjoyable enough, and with an especially striking sense of color, but as a western it doesn't really push the envelope. But I believe it's Lisa Hanawalt's longest sustained narrative, outside, per ...more
Jackie
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
wowie!!!! pairs well with mitski’s “be the cowboy”! such a good story and the illustration and colours are perfect!!!
Nostalgia Reader
Well crap, I really wanted to fall in love with this. But the story was just too simplistic for me and I never got a sense of character from Coyote. Don't get me wrong, I am starting to love Westerns as a genre (old ones and new), and this does it's part adding a neon technicolor, gender swapped volume to the Western genre (in graphic novel form, no less). However the basis of the story wasn't anything new, and I couldn't believe it as a "lampoon" (as the jacket calls it) of the genre. Just a un ...more
Brogums ❤ actthegiddygoat.com
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Brogums ❤ actthegiddygoat.com by: Kat
This was a fast quirky fun little read that I did with a group of friends as a buddy read. It was a lot of fun and we all finished reading it in one sitting! If you're open to giving something different a try (It was a little weird but in a good way lol), then I definitely recommend this quick and enjoyable read!
Anna
May 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Not the worst thing I've ever read. But very far from the best and I am not really a fan of the artwork, even though I love BoJack. Which is super disappointing. The writing was fucking atrocious though. I think edgy was the goal and instead it felt like grown-up talking like a five year old. At least it was a quick read...
Amanda
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This might just be my favorite graphic novel.
Deborah Embury
The best part of this is the visual aspect- I completely love Hanawalt's artwork! It has this quirky sort of psychedelic cowgirl vibe, paired with tenderly drawn animals who are funny, relatable, and distinct. The scenery especially was enjoyable to look at in "Coyote Doggirl".
However, I think the plot was rather weak. It meandered around, toying with different points and people, but never really settling into a comfortable pattern. There is a whole climactic point that falls apart simply becaus
Tabor
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Just a simple story about a girl and her horse. And now, where is the second volume????
Audrey Laurey
I really enjoyed this and am hoping there are more adventures for Coyote Doggirl, and for Lisa Hanawalt to write more graphic novels.
Molly
Oct 01, 2018 rated it liked it
I liked the idea of this more than the execution. As a big fan of her collections of comics, and a modest fan of Western things, I saw alot of promise here. But... it just didn't deliver for me. Maybe because it was just a bit more muted than her other works; or maybe because I am currently exhausted from reading about strong women being victimized by men (or coyote dogs by dogs? you get the idea).
Lisa
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: requested
While this is impossible to actually know, this book feels like such a portal into Hanawalt's humor, personality, and interests - at least what's on display from her other works (books as well as BoJack Hoseman) and her podcast Baby Geniuses. So it was interesting to read a book that felt so familiar, and yet is entirely different from her other work due to the Western genre.

I enjoyed everything that is part of Hanawalt's gestalt, and the colors are fascinating. Coyote Doggirl herself is a great
vostendrasamigosyotengolibros
2 1/2 for me and a big hate to everybody who insisted for me to read this, I didn't found it funny and I think it has a NLOG vibe to me, if you are a horse fan for sure you are gonna like it, but I'm not so what's to say, I don't understand why are people talking like she invented something, for me it was a classical GN, idk this book has leave me a bitter taste.
Fox
I really love Lisa Hanawalt's artwork.

This comic book is a nice little story lampooning the Western genre. It's funny, well paced, and full of her beautiful artwork and character designs. Some of the anachronisms in the main characters speech made me laugh out loud, as did the silliness of seeing the wolves sticking their tongues out, and Red's varying expressions.

This book isn't any exceptional, but I genuinely liked it. I look forward to continuing to follow her work - in comics and animatio
Chihoe Ho
Honestly, I couldn't even remember what the plot was from reading it a couple of months ago before writing this review that I had to flip through it again to get a pulse of my reaction from it... and yup, a forgettable, thin Western story with little to go on, save for its illustrations and the horses.
Tess Visser
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
me reading anything by Lisa Hanawalt: :-))))
Esra Erol
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A wonderfully absurd, technicolor ode to Westerns like ‘The Searchers’ and ‘Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.’
Kricket
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is a fucking delight.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Tenements, Towers & Trash: An Unconventional Illustrated History of New York City
  • Everything is Flammable
  • Fetch: How a Bad Dog Brought Me Home
  • You'll Never Know, Vol. 1: A Good and Decent Man
  • First Year Healthy
  • The Lie And How We Told It
  • Dragon's Breath: and Other True Stories
  • Faire Semblant C'est Mentir
  • Come Again
  • Diary of a Tokyo Teen: A Japanese-American Girl Draws Her Way Across the Land of Trendy Fashion, High-Tech Toilets and Maid Cafes
  • The Love Bunglers
  • All The Answers
  • The Customer is Always Wrong
  • Woman World
  • You're All Just Jealous of My Jetpack
  • You & a Bike & a Road
  • The Hospital Suite
  • The Story of My Tits
Lisa was raised in Palo Alto, California, and graduated from UCLA with an art degree in 2006.
She currently lives in New York with a female dog and a male comedian.