Start by marking “Dear Madam President: An Open Letter to the Women Who Will Run the World” as Want to Read:
Dear Madam President: An Open Letter to the Women Who Will Run the World

Dear Madam President: An Open Letter to the Women Who Will Run the World

Redefine the expectations for women in leadership roles with this #1 New York Times bestselling volume of inspiring advice by the former communications director for Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton.

Framed as an empowering letter from former Hillary Clinton Communications Director Jennifer Palmieri to the first woman president, and by extension, to all women working to succ
Published March 27th 2018 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Dear Madam President, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dear Madam President

Mayra
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own, 2018
I've thought over and over about the best way to describe this little book and one image of my childhood comes to mind: I am sunburned and my mom gently rubs cold Noxema on my back. Yes, that is precisely how reading this little book felt. Yes, this is an open letter for the women who will run the world, but it is also a heart-balm for those of us who were robbed of our hopes in the 2016 election. This is a quick read packed with emotion.
Matt
Dec 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
The 2016 US Presidential Election is that indelible mark that will likely be commented upon far past the next such event. Historians are happy to watch the ‘players’ bandy their own theories about for the time being. Jennifer Palmieri, a senior member of the Clinton Campaign, pens this short piece in the guise of writing a letter to the future first female President of the United States. In fact, it is her own mini-memoir and soapbox statement about the campaign, the issues, and her involvement ...more
Monica Kim: Reader in Emerald City
Could it be that women are meant to go only so far in the world? No, that can’t be it. Women haven’t plateaued; it is the rules we were playing by that are outdated. — Jennifer Palmieri, Dear Madam President: An Open Letter to the Women Who Will Run the World
Jennifer Palmieri’s “Dear Madam President: An Open Letter to the Women Who Will Run the World” is a must-read for all women and men, it’s inspiring, empowering, and optimistic.
"My book explained what happened and where we need to go from
Liz
Apr 01, 2018 rated it liked it
I liked this book, but I didn't love it. The author provided valuable information for future female leaders, and I will continue to support intelligent, progressive women who run for public office. However, the book's path was distracting when it went off topic by elaborating on the author's personal and family struggles as a paid consultant to Hillary. I would have preferred a clearer road map for young women seeking a career in politics.
Natali
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
You'll understood pretty early on in this book that she needed to write this for her own sanity and mindset as much as for the rest of us. The author was one of the main employees of the 2016 Clinton campaign. This isn't really a postmortem of that campaign, although there is some of that. More, this is a mantra of how that campaign was just a page in what could be a much better novel for all of us, not just women. I think she is saying that she has wisdom to share and we all do and it is time f ...more
This is a heartfelt book of advice from Jennifer Palmieri, Hillary Clinton's 2016 Director of Communications, as well a former Obama and Clinton White House staffer, to the woman out there who will eventually be our first female president--and really for any woman in the workplace or in the world. It's also a memoir of sorts, as Palmieri relates stories of her time as a woman in politics and the ways that gender impacted the Clinton campaign. Overall, a really lovely and hopeful piece about the ...more
Sarah Elizabeth
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
This book is empowering and encouraging. It is thoughtful and interesting. It speaks to the ways we as a country, but especially as women, can learn from Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign, and uses those experiences to encourage and guide our future female president.

one of my favorite lines says, "a woman can be both strong and emotional." To which I say AMEN!

I highly recommend everyone read this short book. it will encourage and uplift you.

I received a digital ARC of this book from the p
Gail
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's been a hard week. Politics has me down in the dumps. But in wanting to share my review of Jennifer Palmieri's "Dear Madam President," I felt hopeful again re-reading this quote below from the book. It reminded me of how I optimistic I felt with almost every page of this slim little read—a book that's equal parts memoir about Palmieri's experiences working for Obama and HRC and a story of inspiring positive change. If this excerpt fires you up, then I recommend you give this one a read!

"Wome
Begüm Saçak
Feb 12, 2019 rated it liked it
This book is one of its kind and that's why I liked it for the most part. Written for "female" presidents or leaders of the future, the book inspires women to pursue their dreams and explain potential hurdles along the way by drawing from the 2016 election campaign.
LuCee
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I very rarely review anything. I'm content to read and give a star rating for my own use. It jogs my memory and allows me to go back and read again the books I truly enjoyed, and for whatever reason, connected with.

This book, Dear Madam President, is different. And this 'review' is just me reminding myself why it got me to write a 'review' at all.

Disclaimer - I'm not American, so this political climate in the United States is not personal for me. Don't get me wrong, I'm completely fascinated wi
Reese
Jun 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Great expectations, high hopes -- not good. I know that; but even in a pessimist like me, hope happens. I thought that Dear Madam President would be a little book with plenty of big revelations. It is a little book, but one that is not nearly as illuminating as I had imagined. Nevertheless, since Jennifer Palmieri does allow us to see Hillary Clinton during the 2016 campaign from the vantage point of an insider, I found her observations and assessments rather interesting. More satisfying, for me ...more
Leena Dbouk
Oct 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Good book. I feel like the title is a little misleading. This is more of a semi-memoir of Palmieri's experience losing the 2016 election.
Personally, I would have liked something a little more academic such as "We Should All be Feminists" which I found to be more thoughtful. This will appeal to many readers/voters/feminists though. Just know that it is more a look at the Clinton campaign's loss than a letter to future woman president.
Charlotte Jones
*Disclaimer: I received this book for free from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Despite this being a best selling non-fiction title, I had never heard of it before seeing it on NetGalley. Being someone who has only been learning about American politics since 2016, Jennifer Palmieri wasn't a name that was familiar to me.

I have to say I was disappointed with this book unfortunately. I don't feel that the title, and especially the subtitle 'An Open Letter to the Women Who Will Run the Wo
Anna
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
While this book has some really great quotes here and there that I think get her point across, it was a little all over the place and not exactly what I was expecting. I spent a lot more time listening to how she felt about the 2016 election and her personal ties to political leaders than I did feeling empowered as a woman, which is what I assumed was the purpose of this book.
Corinne
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I didn't read What Happened By HRC because I didn't want to get depressed and angry for that many pages. This book was the perfect size for me. I enjoyed reading about how Hillary was so concerned throughout the election but l also liked when the author talked about how inclusive President Obama was to women. I also loved her reminiscing about Elizabeth Edwards. I had forgotten how much I admired this woman. She was such a strong force and inspiration to me.
So thank you, Jennifer Palmieri, for
Meagan McDougall
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was just what I needed today. A quick love letter full it hope, experience and excitement for the women who will and are leading our world.
Adrienne
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Empowering book for women in general not just in politics!
Ava Budavari
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5/5
Pearl
Jun 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Recovering from the devastating loss of the Hillary Clinton Presidential Campaign, of which she was Communications Director, Jennifer Palmieri has written a short book in the form of a letter that looks forward to the day when a woman will win the Presidency, and more women will be elected to political office. To the day when they will run the world. And she has some advice for them.

It’s not a profound book, full of political theory or political issues and platforms; nor is it a bitter book, bla
Sara Planz
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
No matter your politics, the advice given to any woman who seeks to be in a leadership position is well thought out and truly inspiring.
Evie
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Dear Madam President by Jennifer Palmieri isn't the kind of book many think it is. Like it says in its title, it is an open letter to the women who will run the world. It calls out the rules women have to play by and things women have accepted (but no more) because we live and work in a man's world. It talks about how society doesn't blink at certain things a man does, but how women are frowned upon shall they dare do something society thinks it's not fit or proper for a woman.

Read the full rev
LemonLinda
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Written as a letter of advice and encouragement to our future first female president, this is also a letter of consolement and hope both for herself as communication director for the HRC 2016 campaign and for those of us who still are somewhat stunned that "that man" won the election whether we were Democrats, Republicans, former BUT now reformed Republicans, or now confirmed Independents or Unaffiliated because we refuse to be in the same party with those of this administration.

In writing this
Karina Paramitha
Jan 24, 2019 rated it did not like it
I stopped reading on page 50-ish. It shows too much admiration towards Hillary, that it feels almost like love letters from someone blinded by mere love. Not to oppose Hillary nor the author, this is not my favorite book.
Ellyn Lem
May 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Somewhat inspiring book by the person who was Hillary Clinton's Communication Director for the campaign. . . .I think I liked the title the best--just being reminded that one day women will run the world. Perhaps I would have liked the book even better if I could figure out the intent. It was written as a letter to the future "Madam President," but only the ends of chapters seem to reference that angle. The rest is a collection of anecdotes about the campaign and the Hillary Clinton she got to k ...more
Shantel
Jan 01, 2019 rated it did not like it
Not at all what I expected from the title. I thought it was suppose to be about empowering women. It was more about the ladies story about working with the Clinton campaign. I would only recommend if that's what you are looking for.
Raven
Mar 18, 2018 rated it did not like it
Absolutely Delusional. She lost. Get over it.
Michael
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book gives me hope...
Juliana Philippa
When it comes to pleasing the masses in a patriarchal society, women seeking power can’t win playing by the old man-centric rules. This is why we should stop expecting to find ourselves reflected in our country’s history and models of power, and write our own story.
How to describe this little book? It is, as the title states, an open letter to the first female president of the United States of America, whomever she should be. It is also a kind of processing of the 2016 election for those of us
Alicea
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Dear Madam President: An Open Letter to the Women Who Will Run the World by Jennifer Palmieri is an empowering voice for women. It's written as a letter to the future female President of the United States (if you couldn't figure that out from the title). To give some background, Palmieri served as the White House Director of Communications under President Obama and then afterwards as the Director of Communications for the Clinton presidential campaign in 2016. Therefore, the reader will not be s ...more
Coleen
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
I lost my first review that I wrote. Hope that is not indicative of anything.

Palmieri's book is subtitled: An Open Letter to the Women Who Will Run the World. She explores the reasons why HRC lost the 2016 election and explains her own role in the campaign. The book and Palmieri are optimistic that there will be a female president sooner rather than later. She presents personal details of her life and reveals facts about the election that I never knew.

Interestingly, however, it has been suggeste
  • Why I March: Images from the Woman's March Around the World
  • Make Trouble: Standing Up, Speaking Out, and Finding the Courage to Lead
  • Who Is Barack Obama?
  • IOU Sex
  • Culture of Cruelty: How America's Elite Demonize the Poor, Valorize the Rich and Jeopardize the Future
  • It's Even Worse Than You Think: What the Trump Administration is Doing to America
  • Black Man, White House: An Oral History of the Obama Years
  • Nasty Women: Feminism, Resistance, and Revolution in Trump's America
  • Who Was Alexander Graham Bell?
  • Eyes Like Mine
  • Labor of Love: A Midwife's Memoir
  • Saints and Sinners
  • Naked at Lunch: A Reluctant Nudist's Adventures in the Clothing-Optional World
  • Yes We (Still) Can: Politics in the Age of Obama, Twitter, and Trump
  • Escape from Spiderhead
  • Big Girls Don't Cry: The Election that Changed Everything for American Women
  • The Obama Hate Machine: The Lies, Distortions, and Personal Attacks on the President---and Who Is Behind Them
  • Rabbit in the Moon
“People take their cue from you.” That’s it. If you act like you belong in the room, people will believe you do. If you act like your opinion matters, others will, too. Simple, true, empowering, and life-changing advice. It is applicable for all women in every endeavor we undertake.” 8 likes
“A woman can be both strong and emotional.” 8 likes