Jump to ratings and reviews

The Road Home

Debbie Wilson is thirty-one years old; her days full of the joys and obstacles familiar to everyone navigating the American Dream. On the verge of launching her career as a teacher, she is a busy mother to two young boys—and her husband, Chuck, has just left the security of his career in the Navy amidst the economic crisis of 1987.

The steady rhythm of her everyday is disrupted one morning when her soapy fingers discover a marble-sized tumor on her left breast. The life Chuck and Debbie Wilson worked so hard to build is turned upside down as cancer takes the wheel—but little did she know that from that desperate moment in the shower would be birthed one of the best marriage books, biography books and inspirational stories of our decade.

She spent the next twenty-eight years resolutely battling one type of cancer after another—including one of the rarest forms of cancer in the world. Chuck and Debbie never set out to become the epitome of “in sickness and in health,” but as doctor after doctor told Debbie she was out of options—that neither surgery nor chemotherapy would work—love and faith found a way. Her incredible story spread by word of mouth, and she eventually found herself the inspiration of countless people facing their own battles with cancer.

Decades after this miracle love story began, their incredible autobiography is finally in print. Gripping, humorous, heartbreaking and inspiring, this memoir of faith and family tells the true story of how hardship can strengthen—not destroy—a family.

228 pages, Hardcover

Published January 1, 2017

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Chuck Wilson

1 book15 followers

Chuck Wilson grew up in the Finger Lakes region of upstate New York working on family dairy farms and construction with his father. Since being inspired to write his first short story while in the fourth-grade, his lifelong dream has been to be a writer. Married at age twenty while earning his undergraduate degree in English/Writing Arts, he entered the US Navy three years later. Retiring with the rank of Commander, he became an active entrepreneur, building businesses from the ground up including a carwash, a micro-brewery and Subway restaurants. After a twenty-eight- year battle with cancer, his wife, Debbie, passed away in 2014. His first book, The Road Home, shares this incredible story. Chuck has two sons and resides in Chesapeake, VA. He enjoys traveling the world, yoga and spending time with family and friends, especially his three granddaughters.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 8 of 8 reviews
Profile Image for Kayo.
2,387 reviews31 followers
September 18, 2017
Sad but very moving. A true love story that you won't be able to read without a tissue nearby.
Thank you to author, publisher and Netgalley for the chance to read.
while I got the book for free, it had no bearing on the rating I gave it.
Profile Image for Jim Morton.
469 reviews4 followers
December 14, 2017
A very touching story of an amazing woman and her loving family battling cancer. As a neighbor of Chuck and Debbie during Debbie's final battle I was touched in so many ways by their story. The ending was handled beautifully and left me in tears. God bless them both.
Profile Image for Brittnee Newman.
1 review19 followers
October 19, 2017
This true story is both gut-wrenching and heartwarming. I got an advanced (rough) copy, and even in that state I could NOT put it down. A must-read!
Profile Image for Daisy.
79 reviews
Currently reading
December 1, 2017
receiving this book through a goodreads giveaway. Will update review when I am done reading.
Profile Image for Jan.
16 reviews
January 6, 2018
I totally agree, Mardi! I just finished it in one day! It is a beautiful love story in the face of overwhelming challenge. The pages brought Debbie back into my life for just a little while and let me enjoy “being with her” once again. She truly showed us how to live life to the fullest and how to die with no regrets. Thanks, Chuck, for taking this book to fruition! It is a remarkable piece of writing!
1 review
January 4, 2018
A beautifully written account and love story of two amazing people! I loved the way it was presented with both points of view. Have a box of tissues ready and also plan on laughing, too. I couldn’t stop reading. If only everyone could have a love so incredibly real in their lifetime!
Profile Image for Steven Smith.
Author 1 book1 follower
December 16, 2021
The Road Home is a timeless true story of family and friends remaining united through many years of long illness. The prose is genuine and captivating. The blend of narration and dialogue is flawless. The Wilsons’ story will make you tremble and cry, but it will also make you smile and laugh. Their story is a perfect example of how we must live life to its fullest each day. You will have a difficult time putting this book down. The Wilsons let readers into their lives with open arms. Traveling with the Wilsons will help you to better understand your own “road home.”
Profile Image for Jodi Turner.
1 review
March 12, 2018
Inspirational writing for anyone wondering how one copes and faces cancer so many times. I loved reading this book and once I started it I found myself not wanting to put it down. I look forward to future books by an awesome author.
Displaying 1 - 8 of 8 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.