Start by marking “Saviors: Duty and Sacrifice 1” as Want to Read:
Saviors: Duty and Sacrifice 1

Saviors: Duty and Sacrifice 1

(The God Jars Saga #1)

Trust is more terrifying than any weapon.

Valis’ father wants to sacrifice him to the evil God, Qos. His uncle wants to use him as a magical battery and sex slave. All Valis wants is to live in peace, without fear of constant abuse. When he escapes his father’s sacrificial knife and runs away, he lands in the camp of his two saviors, Kerac and Darolen, holy Aesriphos warrio
Kindle Edition, 1 edition, 222 pages
Published September 19th 2017 by Magelight Press (first published September 16th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Saviors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Saviors

Start your review of Saviors: Duty and Sacrifice 1
blub
Readers meet Valis as he is trying to outrun his father and tiring. During his race to get away from his father he sends a prayer/plea for help to his pantheon for aid in escaping his father. When it seems all hope is lost Valis comes across two men who turn out to be paladins, known in this book as Aesriphos warriors. The two men, Darolen and Kerac, are able to subdue Valis's father and capture him to bring him back to the monastery to answer for his crimes. Valis is barely of age (just 17 and ...more
tammy rufo
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the first time I've read anything by Devon Vesper, but it won't be the last! I really enjoyed this book and I can't wait to read the second one....buying it today! I loved the story and characters. Very fast paced and well written. I felt like I was in a different world. I'm not going to give anything away, but it made me happy when the bad guy got what he deserved!
Becca
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This, I have a feeling is going to turn out to be one hell of a series. It's off to a very good start. An abused child, trying to hide from his abusive father and perv of an uncle, has nowhere to turn, especially when his father murders his mother for power. Now he's on the run and is saved just in time.
Valis may have been saved my Kerac and Darolen, but he doesn't know how to trust. Being abused as he has been, has left him trying no one and in fear of being hurt at every turn. But they are det
Natosha Wilson
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have to be completely honest here in saying that I was really skeptical when I started reading this book. Some of the lingo really through me at the beginning and I was lost for a little bit on what to expect from this book but I pressed through and kept reading. Turns out this was really an incredible book in the end. Once I started to figure out what was going on I was sucked in.

This is a story about a boy who was neglected and abused by his family as a whole. Valis did not trust anyone to t
Sally
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I adored this book, absolutely loved the characters. It was a wonderful start to the series and I can't continue the rest.
Jolie
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Saviors is the first book in The God Jars Saga by Devon Vesper. I am a huge fantasy buff, which I have mentioned in other reviews. I have read a few fantasy/LGBTQIA books that I loved and a few that tanked. So, when I had the opportunity to review Saviors, I jumped on it. I am glad I did because I loved this book.

Saviors is a somewhat dark book. It starts with Valis running away from his father. He had already sacrificed Valis’s mother and was determined to do the same to Valis. Valis, in his ha
Meg
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 🌟 rounded up

It's not often I find an MM fantasy series. It's even more rare to find a decent one. But, when the opportunity to read a Nine book MM fantasy series is placed in front of me, I'm not going to turn it down. This is a new author to me, but I like what I've read so far. This book was an excellent introduction to what has the promise to be an epic fantasy series.

Valis, whom I believe is to be our overall main character, hasn't quite reached his majority yet when the story opens. In
Chelle Britton
**I received an advance copy of this book and voluntarily chose to review it**

I loved it. It was angsty, and heart breakng, but sweet, hilarious, and absolutely filled with adorableness. And some very sexy time in there too. The storyline is solid and and attention grabbing with characters that are believable in their reactions and emotions. The author, Devon Vesper, writes some very affectionate characters and I love it. makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Haha. On another note, the story
Elizabeth Silver
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, reviewed
I loved this book. And even though it's a book with magic and adventure, I found the core story to be utterly human and relatable, a true coming of age story at its core. *Spoilers*

Watching Valis grow from terrified, abused child to a confident young person on the cusp of adulthood was really rewarding to me as a reader. I found his crashing through emotions to be utterly believable considering how he spent his entire life before the book terrified to express anything that might draw attention.
Michelle
Truth be told I was on board when I read the description of the book but about halfway through I became very hesitant when Valis first discovers the true relationship between Darolen and Kerac. I've never read anything from DV before and didn't know if I could trust the author. I'm not a fan of polyamory and to take a child out of an abusive environment and then add them to that kind of scenario didn't sit well with me and I almost stopped reading. Like Valis putting his trust in the two paladin ...more
NeRdyWYRM
Okay, I'm Intrigued

I'm going to come right out and say this: the heat was almost non-existent in this one. I'm cutting it some slack because the blurb comes right out and says that it's a nine installment slow-burn. Okie-dokey then. So on to the next thing. The plot, so far, is also a little slow. This first book is more about relationship building and self-discovery on the part of V- ... Valis? Crap. Read too many books this week. Yeah, that's it. Valis.

This poor kid was raised by his father,
Jovan
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5

“If his father was the purest evil in the world, he felt these men might be the purest good. And if that were true, then there had to be things in between, terrible and wonderful things.”

“Saviors” is the beginning of an epic fantasy about Valis, a young man abused by his mage father who worships a dark magic entity named Qos. Following a devastating loss and his father’s attempt to sacrifice him to Qos, Valis is offered an opportunity that sets him on the path to the difficulties he must face
Sylvia
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
At the start Valis is running from his very abusive father and his hounds. His father killed his mother for her power and has abused him Valis for years. While running he calls out for help and it is sent in the form of Karachi and Darolen. These men have come to his rescue however, due to all the abuse handed to him by his father Valis doesn’t trust them so he runs from them every chance he gets regardless of how many times they save him. When asked if he has family that can take care of him hi ...more
R
Dec 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Valis is rescued from his father’s wrath by Darolen and Kerac a pair of Aesriphos/Paladins. The men know he is meant for bigger/better things so they convince him he needs to go with them to the Cadoras monastery, a whole world away from where they are.

I liked this book. There are several more in the series which I expect to get better. So many names and places to keep straight. At times it was overwhelming. Pretty angsty with all of Valis’s issues. Some action. Nice world building but I think t
Jestice Love
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Received arc for an honest review.

It was a bit of a slow read for me, but Vesper always writes a sweet story and though it isn't my usual like in a romance, I usually enjoy her stories. I am of course talking about her other pen name, but this seems like a different route, which may well be why she wrote it under a different pen name. Either way, I enjoyed it and I am excitedly waiting for the next installment.

It was a lovely story about making a family and getting over pains. The men seemed a
Kevin
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was an advance copy I had been given to read and review. The story takes place in an ancient time in a world apart from ours, a story about a young man (Valis), who is trudgingly bound to his evil father and knows no other live, but servitude. One day, two knights in shining armor (Kerac and Darolen), come across him, freeing him from this life, taking him on a journey to a strange land... their land and in the process he finds he likes freedom, although he achieves this only after a few mi ...more
P Leslie
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
*I voluntarily read this book. All opinions stated are solely my own and no one else's*

This story was very slow paced and ill be totally honest, it tested my patience.

Valis suffered constant abuse throughout his life. Trust doesn’t come easily to him which is why he ran hot/cold with Kerec and Darolen. The author captured his fears, vulnerability and even his loss really well. Kerec and Darolen were very caring and affectionate towards Valis but sometimes it came across a little OTT.
Amanda
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I never thought I’d give 5 stars to a book where the romance hadn’t even started yet, but here I am. This book is so wonderfully written it’s near impossible to put down. Like I said, this first book isn’t about romance, but at its heart it’s still about love. Familial love from those with no blood relations, when your own family has let you down time and time again. Valis’s story is heartbreaking, but it only adds to seeing how he is growing and learning what it means to have people be there fo ...more
Joscelyn Smith
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is absolutely engrossing, it starts off with a bang and races head long until the end. Valis, the main protagonist, bursts onto the page running for his life from his murderous abusive father. While fleeing through the forest he runs into two strangers who become his saviors, surrogate fathers and his entry into a life after fear. I loved it and if you're anything like me you will be left wanting more, I can't wait to read the next book.

*I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of
Tony Williamson
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
NOTE: I received a free copy of this book for an honest review. This is the 1st book I have read from Devon Vesper and I must say I am very happy! The writing is superb, the characters are very well outlined and you get a great sense of the era in which it is set. I know that Valis will continue to steal my heart. The 2 men that save him and become "Father and Papa" are Angels. If you like a good fantasy with Mages, magic and a touch of family and all that goes with that, then you will love this ...more
Sabella
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Valis has some trust issues, which are completely understandable after a lifetime spent under his father's abuse and everything that he has seen. Even with Kerac and Darolen there at the exact right time to save him from his father, Valis doesn't really believe they are as nice as they seem. As these three work together to figure out the future, you will find yourself shaking your head and wanting to get Valis to trust them but it's not that simple.

It is definitely a slow burn but the story is a
Scarolet Ellis
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Saviors: Duty and Sacrifice 1 (The God Jars Saga 1) by Devon Vesper is a wonderful story to read. This is a brand new start to a series writen by a brand new author for me to read. I am so glad I read this story it has strong characters and a wondeful story line, I can not wait to read the next story in line.

Trefoil
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm so glad I picked up this book! It's been on my to-read list for quite a while and I finally got around to reading it. I really love the world and it's characters. I really also like how this is a series that follows the same characters. I found myself always looking forward to the next page, the next chapter. As I write this review, there are current seven books out. I love how fast the author is writing these books and publishing them, I think there's supposed to be a couple more books.
Xochitl
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I need to confess that I loved and hated this book at the same time. By one hand it is a wonderful fantasy book full of magic, action, danger and lintrigue, by the other hand even if I’d never have many triggers while reading, some parts of this book opened my flow of tears so I finished this book in an emotional wreck. I can’t wait to read book 2 to see how the story continues...
I received this book as an ARC and this is my honest opinion.
Antoinette
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow, not what I was expecting at all but I absolutely loved it. "Saviors" was intriguing and heartfelt. I cried for Valid more than once. I've never read a book by this author before and this one was great. I can't wait for the next book in the series. I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of this book.
Tammy
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I thought the story had a nice steady pace to keep the story moving along. The main characters were likable. I love how the story played out, and kept my interest till the end. Can’t wait to see what happens next.
“I voluntarily reviewed an advance copy of this book and was not required to leave a review.”
Thank you for sharing your book with us.
Tanya
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
His life is hard and his father wants to give him to an evil for while his uncle wants to have him as a sex slave. All he wants is a peaceful life. Will he ever get it. He manages to run away and he meets two men who want to help. How will they help? Can he find the peace he wants? See what will

Patricia Nelson
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was one hell of a fantastic, grab-you-by-the-feels, poignant, raw, gritty, gripping, enthralling, bittersweet, intense, action packed, emotionally charged, sweeping, amazing, exciting, completely unexpected, definitely different, and totally awesome start to a fascinating new series. It was slow going at times, but I was hooked from the very first page. I can't wait to see what happens next.
Lisa Guertin
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’m totally hooked on this series and can’t wait to get my hands on book two. Valis’ struggles to learn to trust his saviors and to find hope are heartbreaking but his finally finding himself is so worth the journey.

• Seth (Ward Security #5.5)
  • The Alpha and His King (Kincaid Pack #1)
  • Dead of Knight (Guardians of Camelot #2)
  • Say You’ll Be Nine (Say You'll Be Nine, #1)
  • Witchblood (Kitsune Chronicles, #1)
  • The Enchanter's Flame (The Ellwood Chronicles #1)
  • Truth (Wolves of Walker County, #1)
  • Hero (Wolves of Royal Paynes #1)
  • How to Steal a Thief (Unholy Trifecta #2)
  • In the Solace (Metahuman Files #6)
  • Power Plays & Straight A's (CU Hockey #1)
  • Revelations (Fire & Brimstone Scroll #1)
  • King of the Dark (The Prince's Assassin #1)
  • Everybody Burns (Enhanced World, #6)
  • Shattered Wolf (The Wildcrest Pack, #2)
  • Drax (Tags of Honor #3)
  • Rebound (Pucks & Rainbows, #1)
  • Shelter (Men of Hidden Creek - Season 1, #1)

The God Jars Saga (9 books)
  • Avristin: Duty and Sacrifice 2