Start by marking “4 Kids Walk Into A Bank” as Want to Read:
4 Kids Walk Into A Bank

4 Kids Walk Into A Bank

4 KIDS WALK INTO A BANK is the darkly comedic story of four burgeoning child criminals and their elaborate plans.
When a group of bumbling criminals show up in her father's life looking to pull one last job, young Paige has two choices - let her father get caught up in their criminal hijinks or enlist her three best friends to do the job first. Paige picks the bad one.
Published November 21st 2017 by Black Mask Comics (first published November 7th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about 4 Kids Walk Into A Bank, please sign up.
Rob Secundus It's definitely not written as YA; but I assure you, especially if they're reading comics, there's no language here that your teens haven't read a…moreIt's definitely not written as YA; but I assure you, especially if they're reading comics, there's no language here that your teens haven't read a million times before. (less)

Start your review of 4 Kids Walk Into A Bank
James DeSantis
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4 Kids Walk Into A Bank is everything you want in a story. You'll laugh, be in shock, maybe even cry a bit. The story strives to tell a compelling tale about kids doing things no kids should even be THINKING about but the reasoning is what makes it so powerful.

So 4 friends meet 4 grown up assholes who begin to harass them. Paige, the main character, tells them to basically fuck off. When the story grows and start to see the link to her father and family the story just expands in wonderful ways.
Devann
I received a free copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

Before I started this I wasn't sure how ...serious it was going to be I guess. And basically the answer is that it starts out very comedic and then by the end you're just sitting there like WELL THAT ESCALATED QUICKLY. It works very well though. I like how every issue starts out with all the kids hanging out playing a game and then moves on to the meatier part of the plot. And despite dealing with some heavy
Chad
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Paige is playing D&D with her friends when these shady guys knock on the door. Turns out they used to rob banks with her dad. Only problem is they are idiots. So what's a kid to do? Rob the bank first to keep her dad out of prison. Irreverent and fun. Paige is definitely a character to root for.

If the Superior Foes of Spider-Man had children, they would be in this book. Also reminiscent of Matt Fraction and David Aja's run on Hawkeye, both in look and tone. Fans of Nick Spencer will love
Billy Jepma
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"4 Kids Walk Into A Bank" is what would happen if a gritty crime film starred a dysfunctional group of endearingly vulgar 12-year olds. The comic drifts into so many genres and themes and tones that it feels like it should be disorienting but that couldn't be farther from the truth. Every single page is consistently gorgeous, colorful, and pulls you into a world that feels tangible and lived-in. The layouts of the panels are never stagnant, and Tyler Boss' art and design work is really something ...more
SuperSillySerra
Dec 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Kind of a mixed bag.
There were a lot of things I liked about this book, there were a few things that I didn’t like.

11 year old Paige finds out her dad is planning to rob a bank with some old friends of his who recently got out of jail. So what’s the best way to stop him? Do it before he does!
I really liked the art for this series! It had some amazing panels. It was really cool how they used movement in a few of them, or how they portrayed a four way conversation. At one point there are two
Siina
Dec 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ah, 4 Kids Walk Into A Bank is awesome and highly entertaining. It's bound to offend people too, which makes it even better. These four kids are Paige and her three male friends all eleven years old or so. Paige finds out that her dad's former friends are back in town to rob a bank with Paige's dad and Paige decides to stop this by robbing the bank first. She doesn't want to lose her dad and her nerd friends decide to help. Sounds heroic, right? Except the comic is full of violence, swearing and ...more
Manon the Malicious
I was provided an ARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I’m not sure what I can say about this. The whole time I was reading it I was mostly thinking “What the Fuck?!”
I just didn’t make any sense to me and I almost screamed WHY?! at the end.
Other than that, I found it okay, I guess.
The characters weren’t too bad and it was a very fast read.
Brian Dickerson
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cc-03
A beautifully crafted comic with a style reminiscent of Fraction’s Hawkeye and Spencer’s Superior Foes. The conversations between the four kids will make you smile and even laugh out loud. However, it felt like the actual bank robbery storyline got in the way of a slice of life look into the mundane but still fantasy inspired minds and interactions of our children. I was thinking 5 stars all the way until the last issue where the conclusion exponentially escalated and felt a bit rushed.

In
Richard
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I thought I was reading the wrong book at first but it was a fun way of introducing the gang of kids. Some seems like Paige is the leader, and has some concerns for her Dad when a gang of 4 thugs turn up at her home.
They need to take the play co-operation into the real world to overcome this latest enemy .
I loved the story, the humour. Poor Berger seems to be the butt of their fun but it appears he also brings it on themselves and he is part of the group. Not that they are universally liked by
Andrea
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Dec 20, 2017: ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!! If I could get twenty more volumes out of this, I'd be in heaven. 4 Kids has it all: excellent writing that makes you believe in good storytelling again; great pacing for the plot and humour, which is always hard to pull off in graphic novel format; lovable characters that are relatable on all the wrong levels; stylish art to match the action; and the atmospheric blend of mundane and surreal that boggles the mind. If you want to find out why four kids decide ...more
Brooke
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This reminded me of a more-violent "Stranger Things," with a tight group of kids banding together to stick it to the bad guys and achieve the impossible with the supposed ease of playing a D&D game.

Hilarious and action-packed, it's easy to get swept up in the characters' cleverness and creativity as they essentially gamify the idea of robbing a bank. When reality sweeps in with an emotional punch, it leaves the reader as stunned as the characters.

All in all, a short, fun and surprisingly
Drew
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was super fun. A lot of unexpected twists and turns, and the writing made me chuckle a bunch. It's tough to write a story about a group of kids without having the content be too juvenile, but this struck the right balance. The artwork was also pretty fantastic. Ended a little abruptly, but other than that it was basically perfect.
John  Mihelic
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those graphic novels that is begging to be made into a movie. Only worry is that with the main characters being four kids, you would have to cast them right (and then you worry about people calling it some sort of rip-off of Stranger Things). But this is a heist book and not a science fiction book, so it's ok.
Mike
Oct 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, comics, crime
Kids hatch schemes. Hell, I still remember making plans to catch whoever robbed the convenience store up the road.

I was 5.

Usually, these schemes are forgotten, victims of a snowball fight or a new toy. But what if the plans came to fruition?

4 Kids plays with this idea. These kids want to rob a bank to keep Paige's dad from doing it and going to jail. The comic goes between kids having fun together and crime narrative. It walks that tightrope masterfully.

Hilarious and heartfelt.

Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I almost didn't finish this book. It is very odd, but very compelling.

It is full of fbombs, and other swears, but that wasn't the problem I had with it at first.

It is that each chapter opens with the kids playing, and talking while they are playing. Sometimes they are playing D&D, or some role playing game. Sometimes it is an arcade game, and one time it was just them playing in the yard. Once I got used to these odd beginnings, then I really got into it.

It really does read like what would
Rod Brown
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
The opening chapters are hilarious and make full and innovative use of the graphic novel format. I've read a lot of Scooby gang books in the past few weeks, and this is the first group of kids that seem real and interesting. The ending veers away from satisfying but is earned and makes sense.
Simant ♥ Flipping Through the Pages
Actual Rating: 3.5 stars
Find this review on: FLIPPING THROUGH THE PAGES

I actually enjoyed this graphic novel. This is a story about 4 kids (11-12 years old) who try to rob a bank. This is a dark and humorous tale. Paige is the leader of this gang and she has been shown as a fierce character. Because of an upcoming trouble her father can lead into, she makes that idea of robbing that bank. I liked her portrayal of a strong girl. Also, I loved her relationship with her father.

My favorite character
Ruthsic
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 Kids walk into a bank in a dark comedy about a group of kids who end up committing a crime. It has Paige as the ringleader of a quartet of misfits and who are constantly making up games to entertain themselves with. She is a force to be reckoned with and most of this book can be summed up as this meme
Everyone: Paige no
Paige: Paige yes

On a more serious note, the story, while involving 11-12 year old characters is definitely not middle grade friendly. There is profanity, violence and lots of
L.R. Diaz
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
It started out funny and interesting, but it got boring right away. I liked some of the creative intros to each issue/chapter, but the rest wasn’t as good. One of the biggest issues was the annoying choice in design with the Black kid’s small sized font. Yes I got he’s talking low because he’s not confident and is the typical introvert, but because of the size of the font it slowed the pace down and enough to make it harder and harder to want to move on with the story and hating any time the kid ...more
Pop Bop
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
How Entertaining Is This Book? Let Me Count the Ways

This book was entertaining on a number of different levels. The premise is solid. Four idiot crooks are planning a hopeless bank job and they're going to get our tough-as-nails hero kid's Dad mixed up in the mayhem. So, hero kid Paige and her three nerdy hero pals decide to pull the same caper first, thereby going for the block, the win, and saving Paige's Dad from a bad end. This is a remarkably clever set up, and certainly not derivative of
Nicole (TheBookWormDrinketh)
I loved this graphic novel!! 4 nerdy, misfit, Dungeons and Dragons playing kids (Paige,Stretch, Berger and Walter) get sucked in to a plot to rob a bank to save Paiges’ father from doing it. It’s illustrations and dialogue is written almost like an 80’s friend flick (like Sandlot or Goonies)

And because of their wild imaginations and constant gaming they are always imagining things in gaming, pop culture terms.

This graphic novel was hilarious, dramatic and a read I would recommend to anyone!
Darinda
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
A graphic novel about a group of kids (11 and 12 years olds) that decide to rob a bank. The kids are hanging out at Paige's house when they first encounter a group of ex-cons her father knows. The kids figure out that the thugs are planning to rob a bank and want to involve her father. Since the ex-cons are not that bright, Paige decides she and her friends should rob the bank first to help out her father.

This is a crime caper that also deals with friendships and growing up. The kids are each
Liz
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Wow! Wow wow wow, what a great comic!! A review on the back called it "Goonies Meets Reservoir Dogs" which I would say is an accurate summation of the plot. Great snappy dialogue and genuine laugh-out-loud moments in an otherwise bleak story of 13-year-old Paige trying to get her dad out of a heist by taking it over herself with her friends. The structure of the comic is perfection, my favorite being the use of really tiny panels to convey conversation happening over ham radio, which occurs ...more
Collin Henderson
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I knew I was going to love this book when Berger, the redhead foulmouth kid, named his D and D character Crotch the Sticky, son of Groin the Moist.

In all seriousness, this is a wonderful tale of Paige and her friends trying to do the right thing in a situation where there is no right thing. Her father is indebted to some bad men and plots to rob a bank with them to pay them off. Paige doesn't want that and plots to rob a bank with her friends first.

It's a smartly written tale filled with funny
Shannon Appelcline
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics-indy, comics
4 kids walk into a bank. Because they meet 4 adult bank robbers, and they're determined to get there first.

The premise is pretty insane, but it's carried off exceptionally well in this comic. First, we've got great characters. Second we've got an interesting plot. And third, we've got great writing. Rosenberg is willing to explore the medium is a variety of different wacky ways, from depicting D&D games and video games to having long conversation on the radio.

The result feels deep,
Kait
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the references to Star Wars and different games and franchises. I also appreciated how all the characters and their relationships to one another were distinctly different. The non-traditional gender expressions from Paige and Walter was really refreshing. The last issue was just a crazy wild ride that made unexpected and excellent use of the established "foreword" section of the issues.

I only wish we got more of an epilogue and knew about more of the fallout for the "bad guys."
Murray
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is truly an original graphic novel that would appeal to older teens who like snarky realistic fiction. Paige and her Dungeons and Dragons loving friends encounter some unsavory men, whom seem to know her dad. They want him to help him rob a bank. Paige convinces her friends that they should rob it first. One of the blurbs on the back of the book describe it perfectly - "Imagine Tarantino does Goonies." Some readers might be surprised and disappointed in the ending, but it works.
Mik Cope
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is just so funny, from the main character's inevitable descent into criminal activities whilst merely trying to save her father from the past that's caught up with him, to the hilarious fantasy sequences which begin each chapter. The characters are believable and the art suits the atmosphere of the story. Happened upon this by chance and will now keep an eye out for other works by this author.
Mike
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
When Paige discovers her father is part of an upcoming bank robbery plot, she and her three adolescent schoolmates try to stop him by being the first to pull off the heist.

Black Mask Studios has been releasing some of the best comic books in recent memory. This series (perfectly described as Tarantino meets the Goonies), is a fun-filled adventure with snappy dialogue, endearing characters, and simple yet stunning artwork.
Amy
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you can look past the fact that the story makes absolutely no sense at all, this is a hilarious comic that's a mix of Stranger Things, Home Alone, Baby Driver, and... The Italian Job? Anywho, I'd recommend it even though I'm not a comics person.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Comic Book Club: * October 2019 COTM 1 4 Sep 22, 2019 08:32PM
I Read Comic Books: December 2018 BotM - 4 Kids Walk Into A Bank 4 20 Dec 10, 2018 04:48PM

• Murder Falcon
  • Kill or be Killed, Vol. 3
  • Sherlock Frankenstein and the Legion of Evil
  • Black
  • Doctor Strange by Donny Cates
  • Space Riders, Volumen Uno: Vengeful Universe (Space Riders, #1)
"I haven’t always been a writer. My parents are writers and my brother is a writer, and I resisted that as long as I could. When I was 17, I hopped in a band’s van and I went on tour for a summer, and that was it, that was what I wanted to do. I ran a record label for 10 years, a small indie punk label. I did everything in music that you can do that doesn’t involve having musical ability. ...more
“The balls of this fucking girl.” 1 likes