Start by marking “Stoneskin: Prequel to the Deep Witches Trilogy” as Want to Read:
Stoneskin: Prequel to the Deep Witches Trilogy

Stoneskin: Prequel to the Deep Witches Trilogy

(Deep Witches Trilogy 0.5)

Three thousand years from now, galactic transportation relies on the sentient energy field known as the Deep. Its immortal human emissaries call themselves Witches, and they control how the Deep is used. When eight-year-old Tembi Moon wakes on an unfamiliar world, she knows the Deep has to be involved, but to leave her home planet and become a Witch herself? No, that life ...more
Published September 21st 2017 by A Girl and Her Fed Books (first published September 20th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Stoneskin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stoneskin

Start your review of Stoneskin: Prequel to the Deep Witches Trilogy
Miranda
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Earlier this year, through a recommendation tweet from Seanan McGuire, I discovered Ms. Spangler’s Rachel Peng novels (the first, Digital Divide, is $1.99 on Kindle right now!) and her webcomic, A Girl and Her Fed. Everything of hers that I’ve read, I’ve loved. The comic and the Rachel novels are political sci-fi thrillers. Rachel herself is a blind, Asian, cyborg, lesbian detective. She’s badass and awesome! These novels are timely and fun and fabulous! I’m pretty sure I’m totally in love with ...more
Dan
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: signal, indie
In the far future, "witches" perform great feats of teleportation through their telepathic connection to a powerful alien force. An ugly war is starting, and rumor hints at the presence of a second, much eviler, alien force. But this book isn't about that. This book is mostly about the witches' internal disagreements about whether to intervene in the war.

This was good. I think I would have liked it better if it had ended with more of a conclusion and less of a "buy the next three books (which
Mike W.
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Unexpectedly good

I’ve read Ms Spangler’s “A Girl and Her Fed” for years, and enjoy it. I purchased this book on a whim, when KB announced it, as a means of supporting her. I expected a fair story.

What I got was a GREAT story. I was quickly sucked into the unique world of Tembi and the Deep. I really enjoy books with excellent world building, great, believable characters, and villains that aren’t cardboard cutouts. KB delivered all of this in a terrific, believable story.

I’m hooked, and will now
Alicia
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it

This was a very compelling start to a sci-fi series that also includes some magical elements—namely, a sentient force in the universe that can communicate with certain people, called Witches, who can use it to teleport people and things all over the galaxy. Now it has chosen a little girl as a Witch, much younger than its usual selections—but why? Lots of adventure and learning to use powers and action and different kinds of humans, etc. I really liked the
Karoline
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
SO GOOD

So good and interesting and DIFFERENT. I tried describing it to my mom and sister over dinner and the only words that came out of my mouth that felt coherent were that this is one of those stories that neatly straddles the line between SF & fantasy. Its a neat story starring fun characters - and the story is also about ethics and philosophy and obligations to a greater society and politics. It's both broad and personal and so so so so good. Just go read it. :)
Eileen Young
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Speculative fiction is always at its best when it lets us examine something familiar in a new way, and Stoneskin does that, both with supply chains and with the idea of 'Earth-normal' genomes. Tembi is an engaging protagonist, and I can't wait to read the Deep Witches Trilogy.

Stoneskin definitely inhabits the specific narrative space of a prequel, with an ending that winds up rather than down, but is a satisfying read on its own, with the trilogy still somewhere on the horizon.
Jennine
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Debby Allen
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
First time I've encountered the possibilities of deliberate bioforming, rather than just as a by-result. The Deep is confusingly adorable and am looking forward to more.

Spangler doesn't disappoint.
Holly
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this, and am looking forward to the sequels. I really enjoyed Tembi and her relationship with the Deep, as well as the entire premise of a sentient, playful energy being the backbone of a galaxy-spanning sci-fi civilization.
Penn Davies
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you like Spangler's other novels this is more of the same. And by the same I mean engaging characters, well plotted and sensible actions taken by all parties, and an interesting world. This just happens to be even more speculative then her other works.
KellySV
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Can't wait for the next ones!
Sharon
Feb 11, 2018 rated it liked it
A good read, complex, interesting worldbuilding. I think I may like the books to come better, simply because I've read too much YA lately.
Doug
Dec 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good YA fiction and what looks like a good setup for the rest of the books in the series.

I want to know more about the world and the characters.
Neeuqdrazil
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this, and I'm looking forward to reading the full trilogy.
Wetdryvac Wetdryvac
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A lovely and well executed work. Just what I needed on a low day.
bogo_lode
Aug 18, 2018
Lynn Calvin
Oct 02, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Clockwork Boys (Clocktaur War, #1)
  • The Wonder Engine (Clocktaur War #2)
  • Tricks for Free (InCryptid, #7)
  • Minor Mage
  • Unnatural Magic
  • Laetitia Rodd and the Case of the Wandering Scholar (A Laetitia Rodd Mystery #2)
  • Seven Surrenders (Terra Ignota, #2)
  • Swordheart
  • Yes No Maybe So
  • The Corner That Held Them
  • The Strangers (Greystone Secrets, #1)
  • Sisters of the Vast Black
  • Oligarchy
  • Inkmistress (Of Fire and Stars, #0.5)
  • Blackcurrant Fool (Greenwing & Dart Book 4)
  • That Ain’t Witchcraft (InCryptid, #8)
  • Death Comes to Bath (Kurland St. Mary Mystery #6)
  • Death Comes to the Nursery (Kurland St. Mary Mystery #7)
K.B. Spangler lives in North Carolina with her husband and two completely awful dogs. They live in the decaying house of a dead poet. She is the author and artist of the webcomic, "A Girl and Her Fed," and author of novels and short stories. All projects include themes of privacy, politics, technology, civil liberties, the human experience, and how the lines between these blur like the dickens.

If