Start by marking “Stoneskin (Deep Witches #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Stoneskin (Deep Witches #0.5)

Stoneskin

(Deep Witches #0.5)

Three thousand years from now, galactic transportation relies on the sentient energy field known as the Deep. Its immortal human emissaries call themselves Witches, and they control how the Deep is used. When eight-year-old Tembi Moon wakes on an unfamiliar world, she knows the Deep has to be involved, but to leave her home planet and become a Witch herself? No, that life ...more
Published September 21st 2017 by A Girl and Her Fed Books (first published September 20th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Stoneskin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stoneskin

Start your review of Stoneskin (Deep Witches #0.5)
Miranda
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Earlier this year, through a recommendation tweet from Seanan McGuire, I discovered Ms. Spangler’s Rachel Peng novels (the first, Digital Divide, is $1.99 on Kindle right now!) and her webcomic, A Girl and Her Fed. Everything of hers that I’ve read, I’ve loved. The comic and the Rachel novels are political sci-fi thrillers. Rachel herself is a blind, Asian, cyborg, lesbian detective. She’s badass and awesome! These novels are timely and fun and fabulous! I’m pretty sure I’m totally in love with ...more
Dan
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: signal, indie
In the far future, "witches" perform great feats of teleportation through their telepathic connection to a powerful alien force. An ugly war is starting, and rumor hints at the presence of a second, much eviler, alien force. But this book isn't about that. This book is mostly about the witches' internal disagreements about whether to intervene in the war.

This was good. I think I would have liked it better if it had ended with more of a conclusion and less of a "buy the next three books (which ar
Mike W.
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Unexpectedly good

I’ve read Ms Spangler’s “A Girl and Her Fed” for years, and enjoy it. I purchased this book on a whim, when KB announced it, as a means of supporting her. I expected a fair story.

What I got was a GREAT story. I was quickly sucked into the unique world of Tembi and the Deep. I really enjoy books with excellent world building, great, believable characters, and villains that aren’t cardboard cutouts. KB delivered all of this in a terrific, believable story.

I’m hooked, and will now
Janice
May 29, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: scribd, 2020
I liked this book. It posits a society where a sentient energy (the Deep) has decided that humans are pretty ok, and if it can help them move through various things and people through space pretty much instantaneously, it would be happy to do that.

The people who "control" the Deep are the Witches. It takes many years of training to get to even a tiny little level of "control," because the Deep is a bit capricious and doesn't really speak in words or understand words.

A certain amount of lore has
Simon Wigzell
Apr 13, 2021 rated it really liked it
The most critical thing I could say against this book is that it is so obviously the start of a longer & bigger story: It sets up the world and its rules, and it presents us with what I'm sure will be major characters going forward (Tembi & the Deep). Be prepared when reading that this is a coming-of-age story where our main character, Tembi Stoneskin, one day finds out that she is going to become a witch, i.e. not a magical person but a person who can communicate with the Deep, a being who is e ...more
Ozsaur
I loved the idea of a being that fills the vastness of space. It's a creature that's friendly to humans, and has helped them colonize the galaxy. In the distant future, this creature, the Deep, chooses a young girl to be a witch - a person that can work with the Deep to move spaceships through space.

This is a coming of age story about Tembi Moon, the youngest person ever chosen by the Deep. Why her? And why so young? The answers were intriguing enough that I'll probably continue with the series.
Japunkt
Mar 11, 2021 rated it really liked it
I liked this a lot! This is a pretty interesting universe, where
- humanity has settled a lot of planets by a combination of terraforming and genetic modification
- faster than light travel is possible, thanks to an entity known as the Deep
- FTL is controlled by the Deep and its intermediaries, witches

This is a coming of age story. Tembi is chosen by the Deep to be a witch, and has to learn the ins and outs of working with the Deep, while learning to navigate witch society.

I’ve already bought the
Karoline
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
SO GOOD

So good and interesting and DIFFERENT. I tried describing it to my mom and sister over dinner and the only words that came out of my mouth that felt coherent were that this is one of those stories that neatly straddles the line between SF & fantasy. Its a neat story starring fun characters - and the story is also about ethics and philosophy and obligations to a greater society and politics. It's both broad and personal and so so so so good. Just go read it. :)
Jennine
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Eileen Young
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Speculative fiction is always at its best when it lets us examine something familiar in a new way, and Stoneskin does that, both with supply chains and with the idea of 'Earth-normal' genomes. Tembi is an engaging protagonist, and I can't wait to read the Deep Witches Trilogy.

Stoneskin definitely inhabits the specific narrative space of a prequel, with an ending that winds up rather than down, but is a satisfying read on its own, with the trilogy still somewhere on the horizon.
Samanda
Tembi Stoneskin Is A Witch…

… and that's a secret. Witches are trained on Lancaster; Tembi doesn't want to go there – nor does Matinbi, the green skinned Witch found by Tembi on one of the 8-years-old's travels want Tembi in Lancaster. But when her teacher – Matinbi, who's sneaked into Tembi's life – decided to take Tembi's whole class to a spaceport on a field trip … they're betrayed in the wost way by the Deep – the sapient energy being who just wants a friend.…
Vanyer
Apr 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I almost didn't read this before Black Wing War, but I am really glad I did. Normally I find prequels to be relatively uninteresting, especially if they are written after a main series. This one was totally worth the read, a fully fledged, well plotted story. More like the first novel in a series. I highly recommend starting with it. ...more
Miriam
Apr 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recommend, decent-ya
Brilliant.

Showing not telling, an effortlessly (and I know how much effort that takes on the author's part) diverse and gender equal universe which still recognises differences, people and nonhuman person and relationships to care about and invest in, a credible but not predictable plot, beautiful but straightforward language.

I loved it.
Penn Davies
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you like Spangler's other novels this is more of the same. And by the same I mean engaging characters, well plotted and sensible actions taken by all parties, and an interesting world. This just happens to be even more speculative then her other works. ...more
Debby Allen
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
First time I've encountered the possibilities of deliberate bioforming, rather than just as a by-result. The Deep is confusingly adorable and am looking forward to more.

Spangler doesn't disappoint.
Holly
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this, and am looking forward to the sequels. I really enjoyed Tembi and her relationship with the Deep, as well as the entire premise of a sentient, playful energy being the backbone of a galaxy-spanning sci-fi civilization.
Federico Bergstein
Mar 08, 2021 rated it did not like it
DNF, I can't seem to find an interesting conflict in this narrative, may be a case of "prequelitis", assuming one will be interested in the characters from the original book?.
May try the sequel to the prequel someday.
Kisha
Apr 29, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This is a bit of a prequel to Blackwing War, and I would definitely recommend reading it before. It sets up the world and how things work and introduces the main characters, so that when you read the next one those things flow easily. Very interesting world setting, highly recommend!
Neeuqdrazil
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this, and I'm looking forward to reading the full trilogy. ...more
Doug
Dec 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good YA fiction and what looks like a good setup for the rest of the books in the series.

I want to know more about the world and the characters.
Sharon
Feb 11, 2018 rated it liked it
A good read, complex, interesting worldbuilding. I think I may like the books to come better, simply because I've read too much YA lately. ...more
KellySV
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Can't wait for the next ones! ...more
Michael
Mar 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
So good

Detailed world building presented skillfully and very interesting characters. I look forward to more in this narrative with much excitement
Anne Vespry
Mar 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Creative romp

Fast paced fun prequel, and book one is finally out and waiting. If it’s anything like this, it’ll be a glorious read, and well worth the wait.
Wendy
Apr 30, 2021 rated it really liked it
Review to follow
Craig Tyler
May 07, 2021 rated it liked it
A.J. Seiffertt
Jun 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2021
I am so impressed with the writing, the relatable characters, if not fully developed yet, and the outstanding worldbuilding - and the ethics and social justice themes running through this. Interested in where this is headed.
Starting the next one in the series right away - and super hoping there are several more.
Alicia
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing

This was a very compelling start to a sci-fi series that also includes some magical elements—namely, a sentient force in the universe that can communicate with certain people, called Witches, who can use it to teleport people and things all over the galaxy. Now it has chosen a little girl as a Witch, much younger than its usual selections—but why? Lots of adventure and learning to use powers and action and different
Wetdryvac Wetdryvac
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A lovely and well executed work. Just what I needed on a low day. I have no idea how many times I've re-read this one. A comfort read. ...more
jackie
Oct 27, 2017 rated it liked it
pretty good! I didn't get quite as drawn in as I did to the girl and her fed world. really creative, love the personification (or animalification) of the deep.
may read the next ones when they come out.

• Paladin's Strength (The Saint of Steel, #2)
  • Calculated Risks (InCryptid, #10)
  • Wild Sign (Alpha & Omega, #6)
  • The Galaxy, and the Ground Within (Wayfarers, #4)
  • Dying with Her Cheer Pants On
  • Minor Mage
  • A Wizard’s Guide to Defensive Baking
  • Paladin's Grace (The Saint of Steel, #1)
  • Spellmaker (Spellbreaker Duology, #2)
  • Faithless in Death (In Death, #52)
  • Half a Soul (Regency Faerie Tales, #1)
  • The Absolute Book
  • The Heir and the Spare
  • A Desolation Called Peace (Teixcalaan, #2)
  • Magical Midlife Dating (Leveling Up #2)
  • We Ride Upon Sticks
  • Magical Midlife Invasion (Leveling Up #3)
  • Across the Green Grass Fields (Wayward Children, #6)
K.B. Spangler lives in North Carolina with her husband and two completely awful dogs. They live in the decaying house of a dead poet. She is the author and artist of the webcomic, "A Girl and Her Fed," and author of novels and short stories. All projects include themes of privacy, politics, technology, civil liberties, the human experience, and how the lines between these blur like the dickens.

If

Deep Witches (1 books)
  • The Blackwing War (Deep Witches #1)