Start by marking “Night's Sorceries (Flat Earth, #5)” as Want to Read:
Night's Sorceries (Flat Earth, #5)

Night's Sorceries

(Tales from the Flat Earth #5)

In the age of demons, when the Earth was still flat, Prince Chuz, Delusion’s Master, stole Azhriaz, daughter of the Demon Lord of Night, from the underworld citadel meant to be her eternal prison. Pursued by the vengeful Lord of Night, Chuz and Azhriaz fled to the world above, to the lands of mortal men, seeking a haven for their love.

Yet when demons dwelt in the realm of
Published April 7th 1987 by DAW (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Night's Sorceries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night's Sorceries

Start your review of Night's Sorceries (Flat Earth, #5)
James Kibirige
I am giving this short story collection from Tanith Lee 5 stars. This is the last book in the Tales from Flat Earth series, a must read for any fantasy fan.

This collection of short stories soars, reaching the heights I have come to expect from Tanith Lee. Rich and vivid imagery written in a romantic prose that verges on the dreamlike. Tanith Lee's world's are brimming with imagination, beauty and treacherous danger. As always the writing is gorgeous, enriching the fairy tale style of the stories
Quill
The Basics

Night’s Sorceries serves as a companion novel to the previous volume in the series, Delirium’s Mistress. While the events of Azhriaz’s story are unfolding, she and the other players are inadvertently affecting the human lives that stray too close. These are their stories.

My Thoughts

At first I wasn’t sure how to feel about the fact that this story is not a continuation of the Tales of the Flat Earth so much as an expansion upon the last book. Yet like most of Lee’s books, it endears its
D.D. Price
Tanith Lee you’ve done it again! After what seemed to me to be a disastrous fourth book my favorite fantasy author has gone back to form and expectedly delivered a fantastic set of stories of myth and magic. The stories in this collection take place during the events of Delirium’s Mistress. One way to think about this collection is as being side stories that expand on the events of Delirium’s Mistress and that help to fully explain things better and that in the very end advances the story betwee ...more
Kate
Apr 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
This book contains seven stories, and all of them are somehow connected to Delirium's Mistress. There are dark comedies and fairy tales with unexpected twists, which are able to profile the life of Sovaz/Azhriaz/Atmeh from the viewpoint of different bystanders. The last two stories, "Game Players" and "The Daughter of the Magician", relate what happend to Atmeh after the end of previous book, and the ending is so lovely and delightful. Besides, there is also a short story about Azhrarn, an impor ...more
Pam Baddeley
Mar 16, 2020 rated it liked it
This fifth volume which concludes the series consists of shorter works set in the time of the previous book, and sometimes featuring characters from that book, such as Azhriaz, daughter of the demon Lord of Night. Love is a main theme as before and in the last one, which ties up with a previous tale in the book concerning a gift made to Azhriaz when she was living as a self-made goddess, we learn what happens to her soul in her next incarnation.

I must admit, after finding that previous volumes '
Carl Barlow
Oct 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Incidental tales to the grander ones of earlier books in the series. In the night, by the side of a crackling fireplace, Lee whispers into your ear rich, heady (and often hedonistic) stories that seem slightly familiar and might offer lessons in life... or might be there simply to entertain (which they certainly do). Dunsany's in there, Clark Ashton Smith is, and there's a smattering of Howard and Vance. A good end to the Flat Earth series.
Michael
Nov 22, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Although this volume is perhaps the weakest of the 5 published in the Flat Earth series, the consistent flavor of the writing, the energy of the phantasmagorical imagery and the lovely, cyclical ending keep it consistent with the brilliance of the rest of the series.
Zak Strassberg
Jul 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Finished this a while ago but forgot to update goodreads. Tanith Lee is a gift to mankind (or at least to fiction).
Claudia Piña
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
No sé porqué dejé este pendiente de la serie pero me alegra haberlo conocido al fin. Aunque no es una continuación directa, definitivamente tiene lo mejor del worldbuilding y el estilo que caracteriza al resto de las historias de Flat Earth (a veces bastante oscuro, a veces divertido y astuto, a veces tierno) en forma de diversas historias, con el plus de que una de ellas habla del destino de Azhriaz.

Este es un mundo tan fascinante que es imposible no disfrutar regresar a él aunque sea para cono
Aldo Ojeda
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This road took me fifteen years to complete. Since I read Night's Master, the flat earth of Tanith Lee has become a part of me. This particular book, the last in the series, is more similar to that very first one; separate stories barely conected between them, without much of the epicness of the fourth book. The great characters and unbound imagination, alas, persisted in all of them.
Lync Lync
May 05, 2017 rated it liked it
A loosely tied collection of short stories in her Flat Earth Universe. Reminiscient of Scherezade's Tales. The stories are variable in quality, and sometimes seemingly pointless, but it does all come together in the final story.
Clay
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A collection of fairy tale tropes and situations that have been adapted to Lee's Flat Earth and centered around the life and times of Azhriaz and even beyond her death (hinted at) from the previous volume. A very entertaining wrap up to the series.
Enric
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, high-fantasy
Excellent. What can I say?
Ана Хелс
Mar 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
В поредицата за плоските земи на свръх активни демони и твърде безразлични богове, заема своето бляскаво място и един сборник разкази , за времената преди последната и част, и след нея, когато любовта е давала сила за добри решения, а не е била извинение за нечовешки жестокости и игрички между абсурдните умове на нереални същества. Нощни вълшебства е част от Господарката на дерлириума, като шлейф от магични приказки, родени от умовете на бъбривите нормални , станали временно любими играчки на по ...more
Mel
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Tanith Lee created her own mythology. These books have an entire world written out in lovely gothic detail. Azhrarn is a decadent demon and the Lord of Darkness. Although he is evil, he is still so human. She made me love him. This series is full of rich characters written in striking detail. I devoured it as quickly as I could. I'm sad there won't be more.
Axel M.
Feb 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Das letzte Buch in der Serie um die Flache Erde, eigentlich ergänzende Kurzgeschichten zum Inhalt des vorletzten. Vielleicht nicht so prägnant wie die ersten, aber nach all den Jahren etwas Neues über die faszinierend düster bunte Welt zu finden hat sich mehr als gelohnt.
Avis Black
Feb 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 4-stars
There was a time when I read a shelf-load of Tanith Lee, and concluded her most important work was her Flat Earth series. Don't miss it.
Raluca
Oct 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, best
Tanith Lee is no human. She's the demon's daughter herself. I willingly submit! :D
Daniela
Joseph
Jun 18, 2018

• Quantum-Touch: The Power to Heal
  • Buddhism Plain and Simple
  • Jip en Janneke (Jip en Janneke, #1-5)
  • The Templar Revelation: Secret Guardians of the True Identity of Christ
  • Nymphomation (Vurt, #4)
  • Nine Coaches Waiting
  • Ruisend gruis
  • The Facts of Life: A Three-Dimensional Study
  • Winnie-the-Pooh on Management: In which a Very Important Bear and his friends are introduced to a Very...
  • The Old Gringo
  • Alchemy & Mysticism
  • Made in Italy: Food and Stories
  • Atlas of Lost Cities: A Travel Guide to Abandoned and Forsaken Destinations
  • Rustic Mexican: Authentic Flavors for Everyday Cooking
  • Man at the Helm
  • The Museum Guard
  • Winnie-De-Poeh
  • St. Benet's (DI Tanner #2)
Tanith Lee was a British writer of science fiction, horror, and fantasy. She was the author of 77 novels, 14 collections, and almost 300 short stories. She also wrote four radio plays broadcast by the BBC and two scripts for the UK, science fiction, cult television series "Blake's 7."
Before becoming a full time writer, Lee worked as a file clerk, an assistant librarian, a shop assistant, and a wai

Tales from the Flat Earth (5 books)
  • Night's Master  (Tales from the Flat Earth #1)
  • Death's Master (Flat Earth, #2)
  • Delusion's Master (Flat Earth, #3)
  • Delirium's Mistress (Flat Earth, #4)

News & Interviews

“Madness. I did not get myself born to die. I have better things to do.” 12 likes
“But to Ezail, gifted with acceptance, it was only another facet of the riotous marvel of the earth. For all was marvelous there, was and is still, but humanity becomes inured to repetitive amazements - that the sun may rise, that a tiny seed may become a tree or a man, that life, coming from nowhere, sets us to moving like clockwork, and going out again leaves us to sleep. Or else, as then, takes us away with it, who knows? But we are used to it all, dawn and growth, living and dying. It takes a dragon on houseroof to wake us up now - and then, too. But to Ezail, all was wonder and no single item more than another: Dawns and dragons were one.” 6 likes