Start by marking “When a Stranger Comes” as Want to Read:
When a Stranger Comes

When a Stranger Comes

Would you be willing to make a deal with the devil to have your hopes and dreams come true?

Witnessing a lightning bolt on a sunny day, author Alexa Wainwright doesn't realize she's been transported to an alternate universe. Here, she meets media mogul and publisher King Blakemore who offers her a lucrative book contract that will guarantee her comeback.

This publisher see
Published September 13th 2017 by KSB Press

To ask other readers questions about When a Stranger Comes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When a Stranger Comes

Richard Bunning
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Writers enjoy having the power of God over their characters, but what if they also attract the forces of the devil? What if the power of life and death in a fiction translates into a ‘real’ existence, if some elements of the authors omnipresence on the page slips into physical life? The book is very much paranormal, some of a magical realism bend and some with a quasi-religious one. Through excepting the premise that many good versus evil, religious/paranormal boundaries collide in mystical ways ...more
Susan Angela Wallace
When a stranger comes by karen s bell.
Alexa Wainwright is a writer. She has just finished her 10th book which is the 3rd in a trilogy when she gets a deal from king blakemore. She signs with his publishing firm for a movie deal of her trilogy. Has she just signed a deal with the devil himself? She is aided by an angel evangelica. She is on her side to protect her. Can she discover a loophole and get out of the pact she has made with king?
A fantastic read. Bit slow to start with. Then bam couldn
Susan Angela Wallace
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
When a stranger comes by karen s bell.
A fantastic read. Bit slow to start with. Then bam couldn
Ronald Keeler
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Imagine yourself a successful, published author. You have had at least one book that soared to the top and you liked the feeling of being number one. Money is no longer a problem; you have an upper-class lifestyle that includes people who work for you so that you don’t have to do routine stuff. Others buy and prepare food, make appointments, and plan your daily schedule. There are not many helpers and you don’t want many. Margaret is one important helper acting as both an agent and a close frien ...more
Arlena
Rating: Five
Review:

"When a Stranger Comes" by Karen S. Bell

My Thoughts....

All I will say is that this author really knows how to keep the reader in suspense in this 'magical realism, paranormal and supernatural read. It was quite interesting seeing Alexa Wainwright born [Gladys Lipschitz] as she 'soared to the number one bestsellers list and became an international sensation.'

What will Alexa have to do rema
Lynelle Clark
I received this book from the author for an honest review.

Reading this book it becomes frightful to be an author, wishing for all the wealth that comes with that. The power of words and thoughts becomes very real for the main character of the book and soon she realized that she is living in a world created by herself.
This original story really touches a lot of important issues in life and where the priorities for most lies. Sometimes we have to be careful what we hope and wish for because it ca
Bailey Ember
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller
The plot flowed nicely and the mystery kept me guessing and flipping pages. Overall a great suspense.

What a clever story with a wonderful balance of fantasy and suspense.

Karen S. Bell has created a novel in which the main character shows growth. For me that is always something I look for in my favorite main characters. I liked flawed characters and if they can overcome things, it really speaks to me.

This was a quick read for me. I felt like the words and plot just flowed long effortlessly. I f
Marissa
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: goodreads-win
Goodreads Kindle Win

A writer finds herself in a midst of reality and fiction as she signs a new writing contract. Sh heo save is quickly thrown into a world of evil as she must fight to save herself or be entrapped by eveything.

The author takes you on a wild ride full of imagination as you question what is real or make believe. Full of suspense and drama.

C. Gonzales
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, suspense
I liked the diversity and originality of this novel. You think that you are going to know what you're getting, but Bell really manages to surprise her readers.

I really enjoyed the pacing and how it was steady throughout. It is fast paced and doesn't let up and didn't have moments that dragged. It made for a fast and furious read.
Ever Leigh
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, suspense
Such a large cast of characters, but I felt like I got to know all of the main ones very well.

I liked how this Fantasy novel managed to be fresh and exciting and wasn't too overly predictable. I saw a few things coming, but was definitely surprised at points too.

Definitely a lot of action going on that will have readers flipping pages furiously.
Samantha Turley
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, suspense
Karen S. Bell has written an imaginative and descriptive novel that does a great job of pulling the reader into the world she has created.
The flow of the novel was well executed and everything as far as pacing went felt smooth.

I enjoyed getting to know the characters both primary and secondary. They all felt like they had their own purpose and had depth that made me care about them.
Gina Stamper
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, suspense
This novel has a very mysterious element to it. This was an unexpected read for me. The synopsis was intriguing, but I sure wasn’t sure exactly what kind of world I would be taken in. Karen S. Bell manages to draw the reader in from the very beginning.
Even from the synopsis you are not sure what you are going to get. I would like to say that Bell does a great job of bringing to life her characters. These characters each have their own personalities and depth to them. None of them felt one-dimens
Linda
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: giveaway-wins
I came ThisClose to quitting this book about a quarter of the way in. The writing is sophomoric, and the main character is unlikable. But ... stubborn me ... I continued to read til the end. Sadly, my opinion on the book did not improve.
Karen
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Quite a different read from what I am used to. I did not expect this book to turn out like it did. I liked the book and hated to put it down. I needed to find out what was going on in the story and try to understand Alexa's story.

I have to say that in the beginning I wasn't sure if this was a book I would like or not. The prologue was good, and drew me in, but the first chapter made me question the rest of the book. Wow, was I wrong. After I got through the first page of the first paragraph, I
Misty
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Alexa Wainwright also known as Gladys Lipschitz was an enjoyable character. I loved how she was a writer and how that part of her played such a large role in her character and in the story line itself. The idea of the King Blakemore was also interesting as well as how he interacted with Alexa. Overall, this was a unique story that I greatly enjoyed!
Peggy
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Don't think, until now, that I have ever read anything from this author but I do believe I will get more of her books! She has such an amazing way of story telling. Knows how to make you feel as if what you're reading is your life and your living each page. This book will keep you so intrigued and turning those pages!
Jill Elizabeth
Dec 04, 2017 rated it liked it
I really wanted to like this one a lot more than I did. To start, there's the premise - fascinating (a mysterious lightning strike, a world turned upside down, fame and riches and evil all blended together, a writer whose creations seem to be coming to life). There's the main characters - conceptually intriguing (I am fascinated by books about books and the people who write/create/publish them, plus there's the whole evil/deal with the devil set of personalities, also usually intriguing to me). ...more
Jolie
May 02, 2018 rated it liked it
I like a book that gets under my skin. So when I read the blurb for When a Stranger Comes…, I was intrigued. Unfortunately, When a Stranger Comes… didn’t get under my skin. If anything, I was left confused by the end of the book. I was also left dissatisfied that the book didn’t get under my skin. A psychological thriller should do that to you. It didn’t for me.

I thought the plotline for When a Stranger Comes… was great. A writer is transported to an alternate realm without her knowledge. There,
Patricia
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When a Stranger Comes by Karen Bell tells the story of writer Alexa Wainwright a writer who had massive success with her first novel. Since then she's struggled to write anything that comes close to that novel in content or success. As she stands looking out the window of her loft one day wishing to write another great novel she witnessed a bolt of lightening come out of a clear blue sky and hit the road in front of her. After that everything in her life takes on a strange quality and she fears ...more
Jessica Rachow
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
eview:

When a Stranger Comes… has such a unique concept. I love reading stories about authors, but I don’t think I’ve ever read one quite like this. Alexa Wainwright is presented with a contract that is too good to be true, but signs it anyway, and realizes she’s just made a deal with the devil.

I love Karen Bell’s mix of magical realism, paranormal and suspense. I was taken on really unique and gripping psychological thriller. With twists and turns, I was kept on the edge of my seat from the begi
Kate Ashley
Jun 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Actual ratings: 2.5 stars

A tl;dr:

[+] Interesting "deal with the Devil" plotline
[+] Ending was open to reader's interpretation
[+] Prologue and epilogue was engaging
[-] MC unlikable and unrelatable
[-] Relied a bit too much on long monologues
[-] Spent too much time on back stories and Alexa's glittered life

The ending gave the much needed room for a reader’s own interpretation. It might even make one reread the last couple of chapters again just to get a better grasp on it. This, along with the capt
Wendy Del Toro
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The theme of this story is not new; but the enjoyment for me was in the author's presentation and storytelling. I knew where the story was headed and went along for the ride. The characters were not real people to me and I mean that in a positive way. They were personifications of "good" and "evil", they embodied the traits and attributes necessary to tell this story, to propel the narrative. This would not have worked for me if they had been "real". It is a cautionary tale, a warning, an allego ...more
Cheryl
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
I was excited to read this book. In fact, in the beginning I was into this story. Yet, several chapters later my excitement had disappeared. However, I kept reading hoping that I would find that magic again. Sadly, after reaching the half way point I put the book down. It seems that I was reading a different book from the majority of the other readers.

There was nothing intriguing about the story or the characters that kept me wanting to come back for more. There were times when I had to re-read
Mike Schroeder
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Always be careful just what you wish for! An interesting read with quite a unique good/bad theme of the soul saving/destroying variety. For me it took a while to get into this story, but once things started to get explained bit by bit, I was very interested in just how Alexa (our heroine) was going to get out of this mess, that she had secretly longed for. A good read with interesting mood swings by Alexa as she realises that she is being semi tranquilised, and her fight against the supernatural ...more
Bev
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-it, have-read
Alexa Wainwright is an author that is trying to get back to number one status. The rush, the money, it's addicting. When she gets her chance to do so, she feels like something isn't right. The characters in her books are coming to life to give her what she is wanting. She has been warned by her mother, she feels strange about it, but after all is said and done she does it. Then she wants out.....now things are really getting strange and Alexa really has to use everything she can to correct this ...more
Claudia
I truly enjoyed this take on the-writer's-world-comes-alive, it's well written, and with well-rounded characters. It kept me intrigued until the end, and with the paranormal's elements adding to the sense of irreality that permeates the whole story.

The only reason I don't give it a five stars rating it's because of the long monologues that slowed the pace of the narrative.

If you enjoy psychological thrillers, this one is for you.
Pat Eroh
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is my first experience with this author and I am very intrigued by her writing style and ability to just pull you into the story. I didn't read this, I lived it. So good and unique! Hope to read more by this author.
mandy sheehan
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm 3% done with When a Stranger Comes: I received this book for an honest review and it has an intriguing start so far in this book.I'm really looking forward to reading the rest of this book .Very captivating.
annodluvsbks
I really wanted to like this book since I won it on the Goodreads giveaway, but I just didn't. It's listed as a psychological thriller but it seemed more like a horror/fantasy and that didn't work for me. I'm definitely in the minority here, so maybe it was just me.
InD'tale Magazine
he reader is immediately drawn into Alexa’s vividly described Manhattan loft and the mind of the eccentric author.

Read full review in the 2018 February issue of InD'tale Magazine.
RABT Book Tours: When a Stranger Comes by Karen S Bell 1 3 Jan 14, 2018 09:18PM
  • Finding Esta: #1 The Supes Series (Urban Fantasy Paranormal & Mystery)
  • Dangerous Designs (Design, #1)
  • Hot Chocolate
  • Laying Low in Paradise (Casteloria #1)
  • The Muse (Dark Art Mystery, #1)
  • Birth of an Assassin (Birth of an Assassin)
  • Nobody Has to Know
  • The Exhibition (The Executive Decision Trilogy, #3)
  • Twelfth Sun
  • Haunting Embrace (Mists of Ireland, #4)
  • Defiant Heart
  • City of Ghosts
  • A Thistle in the Mist
  • Enchanted & Desired (Enchanted, #2)
  • Angel
  • The Santa Claus Killer
  • Too Sexy for His  Stetson
  • Leverage (The Mistaken #2)
Karen S. Bell continues to be in awe of the magical and wondrous phenomenon called life. As an observer and obvious participant in feminine values and approach to our human challenges, she brings this perspective to her work. Fascinated by the mysteries of the unseen forces that perhaps play a role in guiding our choices, she continues to search for answers in the mundane as well as in the cosmic ...more