Start by marking “Hasib and the Queen of Serpents: A Tale of a Thousand and One Nights” as Want to Read:
Hasib and the Queen of Serpents: A Tale of a Thousand and One Nights

Hasib and the Queen of Serpents: A Tale of a Thousand and One Nights

Heir to the wise Daniel, Hâsib is a young woodcutter promised to a great future. When his greedy companions abandon him in the middle of the forest, he meets the Queen of Serpents. She then tells her story, a fabulous adventure filled with gods and demons, princes and prophets. From Kabul to Cairo, journeys intertwine with intrigues and spiritual quests while the fabulous ...more
Published June 1st 2018 by NBM Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Hasib and the Queen of Serpents, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hasib and the Queen of Serpents

Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Another haunting book by David B. that takes you on a journey so original that you will long continue to reflect on the wonders that run through our collective thread of existence.
Chad
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018, netgalley
An illustrated version of some of the tales from Arabian Nights. I had a very difficult time getting into this. The stories were a story within a story within a story ad infinitum. The art was weird, not very talented and with way too much going on in each panel. I'd give it a pass.

Received a review copy from nbm and NetGalley. All thoughts are my own and in no way influenced by the aforementioned.
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Even if this was a retelling of the phonebook, this would rate at least a four star on the artwork alone.

Just look at this. Isn't this gorgeous?

Since the tales of the thousand and one nights is supposed to be tales told by Scheherazade to her husband, Shahrayar to save her life. (Because he had killed all his other wives after one night). The tales are actually a collection of stories, and this book itself is just one of those tales, but in telling it, we hear about more than one story, as the
Rod Brown
Sep 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Weird thing #1: Despite the artist hand lettering a page number on each page of his art, the publisher has chosen to also include a typeset page number at the bottom of each page.

Weird thing #2: At the start of the book, there is a difference of 4 between the artist's page number and the typeset page number.

Weird thing #3: At the end of the book, there is a difference of 2 between the artists's page number and the typeset page number.

Bad thing #1: The pages that should have been hand-lettered wi
Derek Royal
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful book! I'm a fan of David B.'s work, but this one stood out in ways that many of his previous works have not (and I've loved those). This is an elaborate and wonderfully colored story nestled within the 1001 Nights framework. As one may expect, there are multiple embedded narratives, so in this way David B.'s new book is a story about storytelling. But what stands out more than anything is the creator's flourish of illustration, the baroque-like excess that permeates the text.
Emily
I first encountered David B.'s work in Epileptic, with its frantic, emotive art.

Hâsib brings similar energy to Scheherazade's meandering betrayals, transformations, and monster fights. A boy is locked in a cave with a storytelling serpent queen, where he must learn important lessons about whom to trust in a wicked world (view spoiler). This is epic fantasy free of medievalist elvish lore and fallen-world melancholia, more Grimm than grimdark. All wh
Edward Sullivan
Wonderfully fantastical illustrations in this retelling for mature readers.
Maggie Gordon
Sep 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Funky art, but a bit confusing as a standalone piece, particularly for younger readers who might not be familiar with 1001 Nights. Happy to see some middle eastern tales getting more play in the graphic novel realm though!

Devann
I received an ARC copy of this book from NetGalley

This is a retelling of a small portion of the 1001 Nights. There's kind of a lot going on because there are several stories within stories but it's a really fun read and definitely not a story I've heard before. Also the art is absolutely gorgeous. It's got a lot of really great colors and page layouts so this was really fun to look at. It can get a bit dry at times, but I think it's actually aged pretty well considering the original age of the s
Molly
I really like David B.'s art, but was expecting to encounter something more along the lines of Epileptic or Incidents in the Night - and this is definitely not that. This story is framed within one of the tales from the Thousand and One Nights and works very well to revisit that device to add layers to the story. It's well told and beautifully colored, but the story itself just wasn't for me.

I received access to this title via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Deanna (Deanna Reads Books)
This review was originally posted on my review blog Deanna Reads Books
I have some mixed feelings about this graphic novel. On the one hand, the colors and artwork in this one was amazing, but on the other hand I felt like the narrative flow gets a little lost.

The artwork in this one was awesome to look at. It had really saturated colors that made it really nice to look at. Artwork is a really important thing to me when it comes to reviewing graphic novels, and this one definitely hooked me in.
Barbara McEwen
An entertaining graphic novel that sucks you in and keeps you entertained with captivating illustrations. I would definitely read more of the Thousand and One Nights Tales. Thanks to NetGalley for providing me a copy for my unbiased review.
Lola
Aug 11, 2018 added it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Well, I just really didn’t like this graphic novel. This is surprising to me, because I’m usually very easy on graphic novels, but only if I’m able to understand and follow the story.

I couldn’t follow this one. It’s a story within a story within a story within a story. I’m not even exaggerating. It starts with a girl telling the story of an old man, then of the old man’s son, then of the Serpent-Queen, then of other characters.

In the end, they do all come together in a way, but it’s sincerely un
Kate Atherton
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book, which I randomly pulled off the shelf at the library today, is nothing short of spectacular. It's no secret that I love French cartoonists....but I did not even know this 'David B.' fellow was French until I, ten pages in, decided to research him and see what else he has done. This book is beautiful, in every frame ; intricate drawings of demons and serpents, textiles, crowd scenes, lavish birds, skeleton armies, spiders....the list goes on an on, as do the nights in which Scheherazad ...more
Kirsten
Stories within stories tangle like the body of the Serpent Queen! What a beautifully illustrated interpretation.
Ma
Je ne suis pas fan du coup de crayon en soi, l'histoire est bien racontée mais pas toujours très fluide. Par contre, la richesse des images, les enchevêtrements et l'inventivité bulles après bulles m'a totalement bluffée.
Palimp
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Me ha encantado el aire de narración oral que tiene el libro, con esos ecos de historias transmitidas de generación en generación, muy bien adaptadas por el autor.
El apartado gráfico, deslumbrante.
Christine
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love graphic novels. I love the art and how they interpret a story. This is a "tale of a Thousand and One Nights". Absolutely beautiful artwork. I love all the color. Just stunning.
Regina López Muñoz
Visualmente espectacular; cada página es una fiesta. Lástima que la historia no me haya terminado de atrapar del todo, quizá porque esperaba una reinterpretación más personal del autor en lo narrativo.
Stephanie Tournas
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Gorgeous, gorgeous art, telling Scheherazade stories
Nelo
Jul 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
In this story we meet Hasib who has just been betrayed by his co workers, he is trapped in a cave and perchance meets a scorpion that leads him to the serpent queen.

The adventure begins

Although this book is a folktale,from the first page i was sure this book was not intended for a younger audience its a bit graphic.

The story is interesting, right from the first page the story grips you. If you are familiar with the one thousand and one nights you would know that this tale is narrated by Schehera
Romeo
Oct 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The art is beautiful in the details and colors but I read two versions of the stories so i was expecting more from it. I'm satisfied that I read this.
Kristy
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
At times the writing was a little dry, but good god that artwork. Intricate and lush and at times distracting from the story because I just wanted to look at the art rather than pay attention to the story.

Full disclosure, I've never read all the way through One Thousand and One Nights, so I don't know the context for the story that follows this one or the one that preceded it, but I liked the tale, and wish that David B. would do more of these.
S.E. Anderson
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
A beautifully illustrated graphic novel with a stunning tale. One of the tales of the 1001 nights which I hadn't yet heard before. Hasib is a story within a story within a story, a middle eastern fairy tale brought to life with gorgeous illustration. I'm just in love with the artwork!
Etienne
Jul 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Une histoire enlevante, des illustrations magnifique, une maitrise et une originalité dans le format des cases! Une bande dessinée vraiment excellente qui vaut le détour! À lire!
vostendrasamigos yotengolibros
I really loved the art but personally reading another comic based or themed in a Thousand and One Nights is a little bit tiring, but the art is amazing.
Travis
I have read a number of this author's works, all in monochrome; it is nice to see that his style translates so well to full color. Somewhat unfortunately, I was curious if it were actually a story from the Thousand and One Nights and a bit of searching found that it was so. The problem is that now I'm not quite sure how to judge this work; the author edited it and did all of the art, but the overall story will all of it's odd and interesting details (as well as most of its flaws) come from anoth ...more
Kelly
Jun 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Hâsib is a young woodcutter who is double-crossed and left for dead by his fellow loggers. Luckily, he's not alone in his cave prison: a "lowly" (yet talkative! and star-bound!) scorpion leads him to the Queen of the Serpents, who in turn commands a snake to show him the way out. But not before they exchange stories: he, the tale of how he came to be trapped below ground; she, fantastical stories of angels and demons, princes and peeping toms (spoiler alert: not mutually exclusive), demons and g ...more
Emmy
May 25, 2018 rated it liked it
A colorful and interesting story from Middle Eastern folklore. The writing can get a little dry, so I understand that it's not for everyone, but in general, it was fun to learn a story from folklore, wrapped up in the story of 1001 Nights. Personally, if you're interested in similar tales, I would direct you towards the Chinese tales from Boxers and Saints (Gene Luen Yang) or the Indian origins of Buddhain the series by Osamu Tezuka.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Pierre-François Beauchard, who uses the pen name David B., was one of the initiators of the French alternative editorial house L'Association, and is now well-known among the French comics audience. After his Applied Arts studies, David B. had his first publications in magazines such as Chic, Circus, Okapi and A Suivre. Among his early creations are 'Le Timbre Maudit', a story published in Okapi, a ...more