Start by marking “Bad to the Bone” as Want to Read:
Bad to the Bone

Bad to the Bone

Alex can’t think of himself as anything but a failure. In high school, he was on the fast track to a career in pro football when he forged an unlikely friendship with a half-Comanche boy from the wrong part of town, Ricky Lee Jennings. Their shared love of books could have grown into more—but a homophobic teammate attacked Ricky Lee, and Alex wouldn’t risk his scholarship ...more
Paperback, Dreamspun Desires #58, 214 pages
Published May 15th 2018 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about Bad to the Bone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bad to the Bone

Sandra
This was for the most part a sweet second-chance romance between two men who were friends in high school and could have been more if it weren't for small town bigots and needing that scholarship.

Back in high school, Alex was going to be a big shot football player at college until an injury put an end to that dream. But that injury didn't happen until he had already lost his heart to Ricky Lee, a boy his age from the wrong side of the tracks, who shared his love of books.

So Ricky Lee left town,
Aeren
May 18, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
No está mal, pero el poco conflicto que hay es forzado y artificial y los personajes son unidimensionales, a ver, si me voy a esta línea busco algo rápido, ameno, mono, eso no quiere decir que tenga que ser tonto o básico hasta para un parvulito. A veces creo que quien escribe este tipo de cosas lo hace con cero respeto por su propio trabajo.
Serena Yates
A second chance at love brought on by a high school reunion, starring two men with a history that ended before either one was ready to let go, and a small-town setting are the key ingredients of this entertaining novel. Alex and Ricky Lee used to be best friends but were separated by circumstances beyond their control. With Alex too ashamed of his lack of actions during the event that cause Ricky Lee’s expulsion from high school and Ricky Lee focused on building a better life, they haven’t had a ...more
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was given a copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.

This is a sweet second chance romance between two high school friends who find each other again at their school reunion.

As adults, Alex has settled into the small town they grew up in and he runs his family’s hardware business with his sister. After being chased out of town as a teenager, Ricky Lee now lives in Portland and works in the tech industry.

As a Dreamspun Desires story, the book has lashings of drama, more than a litt
Qin
Jun 27, 2018 rated it liked it
If not for the writing, strong and smooth and nuanced in keeping with Dreamspinner's usual standards of quality, and the surprisingly high emotional capacity of the story, this would be a two or even a one star review. Nothing indeed feels fresh within these covers, from the bland leads who even manage to be a living stereotype (once more a blue-eyed, blond, buzz cut jock shacks up with the long-haired, brown or brunette or half-Native American of his dreams, the only surprise here being that th ...more
Amneris Di Cesare
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, really really great story! Need an extended review.
Ami
3.75 stars rounded up

Oh, this is a good one for me!! I liked the idea of bad-boy coming back for high-school reunion. I easily believed in Alex and Ricky Lee getting back together. The unresolved tension was sizzling, and I enjoyed they getting back together, making themselves hot gossip of the town. The (view spoiler) might be a little too heavy, but nonetheless still fit the story.
Sara
4 Hearts

This was so damn fluffy that I am still trying to feel my seat under my butt and I love it.

Second chance romances are a favorite of mine and when they MC’s have history that goes back to their childhood I am head over heels in love.

Told from the POV of Alex as he is getting ready for his 10 year high school reunion, we learn about this high school football star who was best friends with the half Comanche boy he met in the town library. Ricky Lee and Alex became fast friends as pre-te
Susan65
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Blogger Girls

New author for me, and the sample for the narrator, Colin Darcy, sounded good, so I decided to give it a whirl…and I am really glad that I did. I love a good reunited love story, and I love when the underdog comes back bigger, faster, stronger, and richer than his bully. We get this in Bad to the Bone, and so much more.

Alex and Ricky Lee were high school best friends and lovers. Until bad decisions forced Ricky Lee out of town and Alex was left without his promised future. Years
WycEd Reader
Check out our Bad to the Bone post on Wicked Reads.

Reviews by the Wicked Reads Review Team

Sarah – ☆☆☆☆
This is a sweet, second chance romance between two high school friends who find each other again at their school reunion.

As a Dreamspun Desires story, the book h
cat reads
Nov 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Eh, it's okay.

I really liked Alex. While he's a pillar of the community, he still deals with feelings of failure in a believable way instead of 'author needs angst' way. Ricky Lee, on the other hand, didn't have much of a personality. He shows up, looks handsome, and acts like Prince Charming. He's basically a leather clad boyfriend cut out that walks about and gives Alex someone to fawn for.

The romance doesn't start until about halfway through. It's fine, more of a story of a small town boy w
Anita
Definitely has that Dreamspun Desires vibe. Cute fluffy second chance romance about two guys who met in high school. Ah, the things that happen to us in high school resonate through the years! You leave on a high that you're going to conquer the world and then you have to return home when life doesn't turn out as you'd hoped. Alex and Ricky Lee are sweet together. That connection they had in school is still very much present when they reconnect. This is my second book by Ms. Bennett. She has a n ...more
Michael
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Now this is what a good book should be. Fantastic characters, extraordinarily plausible situation and setting, real life conflicts, and a good mystery tossed in for good measure. This book read so easily and well that I didn't want to put it down until I'd finished it -- the hallmark of a good book for me. I generally have some complaint about most books, but not this one. This one checked all the boxes for me and was a first class read. Well done.
Carol
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My problem with Nicki Bennett books? I don't want to put them down until I'm done, and then I'm sad there isn't more. It was the same with this book. A sweet story of second chances at love, a little angst, a little back story to how they started, a little drama, and a lot of wonderful emotion that shows how much the characters still cared for each other years after they separated the first time. One that I know I'll read and enjoy again in the future.
Katy Beth Mckee
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
It was fun to see what happens when you come home again. I love how Alex's family and friend help him move forward. I love stories where you get back to your first love when the timing is right. Ricky Lee has a great outlook on life and was able to see the good in a bad situation.
Zane Kage
Jun 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-5
Mirjam

A second change romance for two high school sweethearts, who were not allowed to be together.

The half-Comanche boy from the wrong part of town, Ricky Lee Jennings. is back in town for their 10-year high school reunion. When a homophobic teammate attacked Ricky Lee, Alex wouldn’t risk his football scholarship and did not defend him. Consequently Ricky Lee was kicked out of school, and Alex never heard from him again.

Ricky Lee left all those years ago as the town rascal, he is now back and is aga
Morgan  Skye
May 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, reviewed, audio
While I don’t usually like “second chance” books, I really enjoyed this one.

This was very heart-felt, with a real-ish type setting but enough “fantasy” elements to make it feel a bit like Cinderella.

I loved the added touches of making Ricky Native American, as well as rich. The “bad guys” were super bad and I definitely felt like I was reading an old timey romance – with a gay twist!

I thought Alex and Ricky Lee had great chemistry and their story was mostly sweet and little hot. I loved Sam –
Nina Prada
May 22, 2018
Nomarfan
Jun 10, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »
Growing up in Chicago, Nicki Bennett spent every Saturday at the central library, losing herself in the world of books. A voracious reader, she eventually found it difficult to find enough of the kind of stories she liked to read and decided to start writing them herself.