Start by marking “Down with Love (Laws of Attraction, #1)” as Want to Read:
Down with Love (Laws of Attraction, #1)

Down with Love

(Laws of Attraction #1)

Sparks fly when the hot-shot divorce lawyer meets the high-powered wedding planner. The only question is, what kind?

If you ever get married, remember my name: Max Henderson. In my line of work, you acquire a certain perspective on supposedly everlasting unions. . . .

1. Pre-nups are your friend.
2. The person you married is not the person you’re divorcing.
3. And I hope y
Published August 7th 2018 by Loveswept

To ask other readers questions about Down with Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Down with Love

Start your review of Down with Love (Laws of Attraction, #1)
Carol [Goodreads Addict]
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Down With Love is book one in the brand new series, Love Wars, by Kate Meader.

down with love kate meader

Max Henderson may have come from money but he lived on what he earned at his job, a job he loved. Max is a divorce attorney. He considers himself a realist. That love isn’t all hearts and roses. Yes his own parents are still madly in love after all these years. But at work, he sees the reality of it, that there is a very ugly side to love. The one time Max let down his own guard he got badly hurt. Now he is a one night
Kate Meader
Sep 17, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: i-wrote-this
A new series coming in August 2018! What's it all about? Read on . . .

As partners in Chicago’s premier law firm specializing in divorce, Max Henderson, Lucas Wright, and Grant Lincoln have witnessed humanity at its worst. Bitter fights. Heartbreaking custody battles. Hand-to-hand combat over who gets the Phil Collins CDs. So when love’s young dream burns to a pile of ash, you want one of these hot shots in your corner.

But what happens when the most cynical guys in the war against love find thems
Chris  C - A Midlife Wife
Great story. Love Max and his amazing heart... Charlie- she took a long time to grow on me. Still not convinced. 3.5 Stars
~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have read many many books by Kate Meader. I just love her writing style!! Her books are always full of humor and fun loving stories that you can really relate to. So I always gravitate to new titles by her.

One of the things I enjoy about this author stories is she brings together people that may not necessarily normally bond. People who would technically be oppo
Hollis
I'm hoping by the time I finish writing this review I'll know what I'm rating this one because I'm definitely wavering between a two and a three.

Max Henderson hit on me pretty hard at that bar a week ago and turned cool when he found out who I am and what I do for a living. But I suspect he's gotten over his initial gripe. After all, why allow principles to get in the way of the needs of your penis?

DOWN WITH LOVE, the first of Meader's new series, matches up a divorce attorney with a wedding pla
Dali
Kate Meader launches her Laws of Attraction series with the sizzling tale of Charlie Love, wedding planner extraordinaire who’s looking for Mr. Right and Max Henderson, divorce attorney and cynic.

Max is good at his job and loves it. He mostly sees the down side of love and considers himself a realist especially after his own failed engagement and subsequent broken heart. So when James Henderson decides to get married, it is up to Max to look out for his little brother and make sure he’s not tak
Zoe
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Witty, seductive, and wickedly entertaining!

Down with Love is an engaging, adorable, enemies-to-more romance set in the Windy City that introduces us to a whole slew of new characters, including the warm, sweet, charming Charlie who believes in fairy tales and happy endings, and the intelligent, confident, skeptical, divorce lawyer, Max who believes that saying “I do” is merely a waste of time and money.

The writing is smooth and effortless. The characters are clever, fun-loving, and appealing. A
Mindy Lou's Book Review
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
A fun opposites attract and a bit of an enemies to lover story. You can't get more opposite than a divorce lawyer and a wedding planner.

The spark these two had was instant. The fact that they are on opposite sides of the love rainbow couldn't keep them apart. Their banter was fun but on the edge. Max is a cynic. How can he not be as a divorce lawyer. Add in his own personal experience of love turned wrong and he's what you would expect.

Despite being a wedding planner and seeing the better side
Mackenzie
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Song for summary: Head Over Feet by Alanis Morissette

A delightful read! The characters are cheeky, confident, and enticing; while the plot is an amusing love story about a cynical divorce lawyer trying to win over a guarded wedding planner. Touching yet upbeat, Down with Love is a novel that shows just how much work and compromise it takes to make a relationship last. Packed with diverse and hilarious supporting characters, this book is the perfect way to kick off a promising new series.
maggieandteddy
All the stars. RomComs. Do NOT underestimate them. So surprised at how much I loved this book.
I've read and loved quite a few of Kate Meader's books:. Hot in Chicago - book 2 & The entire Chicago Rebels series.
Down With Love is Book 1 in The Laws of Attraction series- and guess what? It's set in Chicago. And I LOVED it.
I was expecting all snarky humor. There is a lot of snark, but some real feels too.
Max- oh with a name like Max, guess who's the snarky one? He's a divorce attorney and partner in
Cyndi
Aug 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
nothing better than a good romantic comedy! Especially at a time when the world has gone nuts and you just want to escape for awhile. So pour up a nice cup of tea, grab a cookie and enjoy this book. Or if you go the audio version (which is what I did) grab your knitting project while you listen. This is the ultimate in social distancing. Anyone gets too close or interrupts your "Me Time" they will be threatened with the knitting needles.
Our hero is the best man in a wedding. Not that he likes
Sherwood Smith
Jun 13, 2018 added it
Shelves: romance
He's a divorce lawyer and she's a wedding planner. Sparks fly.

I really enjoy enemies to friends romances if the exchanges are banter rather than bicker, and this was no exception. The standard tropes are here: they're both smoking hot, fighting attraction from the gitgo. But she sees him as a hardened cynic, busy tearing apart the relationships that she hopes to send off with lifetime good memories.

The attraction wins out first, of course, in time-honored lusty fashion, making this a fun beach r
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

At first glance readers will think that Down With Love by Kate Meader is an opposites attract romance as the hero is a divorce attorney, a player, and very anti-marriage and the heroine is a wedding planner, interested in finding Mr. Right and a believer in happily ever after, but there is so much more to this book and as each layer of these very complex characters is pulled away it is easy to see that they both want to find the person who wants them just the way they are and in each other they
Dísir
Wedding-planner, come meet the divorce lawyer: 2 occupations at odds with each other, down to the fundamental beliefs that the people working in these lines should hold. Right? ‘Down with Love’ is where Kate Meader bravely tackles these opposites and tries to prove the contrary with Max Henderson (the first victim, so to speak) and Charlie Love—whose last name is ironically appropriate for her occupation.

Excited as I was by Meader’s blurb of this new series, I was also a little wary, because be
Melanie
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley, romance
Down with Love features the ultimate opposites attract romance between a cynical divorce attorney and a wedding planner who believes in true love.

Max Henderson is the man you want in your corner if your marriage has gone sideways and you need a divorce. Max is willing to go to bat for his clients and his profession may have turned him a bit cynical as a result. So when his younger brother James tells him he’s getting married, Max is hard-pressed to summon much enthusiasm. And when he meets the w
Sunny
ARC Review

Down with Love is the beginning of Kate Meader's new Laws of Attraction series. I always wait with bated breath when a favorite author begins a new series. This book does not disappoint. Admittedly, the first chapter surprised me a little because it is pretty "raw". I thought the author was introducing us to a different style of "edgier" writing. As it turns out, she was. Ms. Meader is writing from the first person perspective of the heroine, Charlie Love. I quickly embraced Charlie be
Ⓐlleskelle - teamSøren♗ ⊲I like big b00ks⊳

Kate Meader writes the best enemies to lovers, and I can't wait to witness cynical Max Henderson falling for a wedding planner, of all people!
This sounds like a lot of fun and a lot of snark!

More reviews and book talk at :

You can find me here too ☞
Oumaïma  (readwithmima)
Blast me and my stubborness for not DNFing this book. This has to be the most ridiculous and the worst written book I read this year!
Cam (justabookeater)
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
I usually enjoy being inside the hero’s head but his PoV in this book turned me off so fast. He’s mysoginitic and just a straight up asshole the entire time. The amount of slutshaming that he does even in the first few chapters made me feel like he doesn’t deserve a happy ending. He also reminded me of baby boomers who blame everything on technology and young people. What a bummer.
Aly
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
A cynic and a believer meet at a bar and sparks fly.

You didn't think I would stop right there, no ? ;p

Max is a divorce attorney who's not opposed to love. It's just that he see too much of the downfall it can lead too. In fact, his parents might be the only exception he can talk about. His job is not just about money. For Max, it's more about helping, mostly the women, to recover and keep their pride in the settlements. Profesionnal and considerate, he found an unique and funny way to help them
Catherine (The Sassy Bookster)
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I could not imagine a more unlikely pairing than a jaded divorce attorney and a wedding planner whose job it is to bring the romance for happy couples, but Ms. Meader brings together these opposites in a story that is fun, lighthearted and will leave you with a smile and fond memories of long after the last word.

Max Henderson is a highly sought after divorce lawyer and at first glance, one you would think has a deep, dark reason for choice his career and for being jaded. Yes, there might be a l
Steph's Romance Book Talk
4 Stars / 3 Steam Fans

Video review available in Week 28: Jul 5 – Jul 11 weekly book reviews.

For other video book reviews, check out my YouTube Channel: Steph's Romance Book Talk.
Alaina
I received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Down with Love had the potential to be a great love story.. but in the end, it was just okay. I loved Max and Charlie together but their wasn't anything special or exciting about their relationship. Max is a divorce attorney and doesn't have the same views on love as Charlie, who's a wedding planner and looking for Mr. Right.

Even though they view love differently, once they meet each other their views start to change. Max heart
Ari
Jul 16, 2018 rated it liked it
*I received a copy of this book from the author/publisher in exchange for an honest review.*

I've been on a roll when it comes to picking up new-to-me authors this year so I was ready to add Kate Meader to the list. I've had Kate's sports romance series on my TBR for some time now though I never got around to reading them, but when I saw read the synopsis for her the first book in her new series my interest piqued and I decided to give it a go.

Down with Love is a hate-to-love romance about a
☕️Kimberly
Jul 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
First Date: We meet Max and his brother at a downtown bar where a woman sitting at the bar is distracting Max's attention. That is until his brother announces he is engaged. Turns out the woman he was admiring is Charlie Love, his brother's wedding planner. A fun first encounter leaves both frustrated and despite protests, intrigued. Meader shares their story using alternating POVs.  I had a blast getting inside this couples head. They keep bumping into each other and the chemistry between them ...more
bookmarkbelles
Jun 08, 2018 rated it liked it

This is your typical cliche story of wedding planner meets divorce lawyer. They cant stand eachother but their sexual chemistry is through the roof! I really enjoyed this book but I have to say that I prefer her hockey series a bit more. This book is a rom com which im a fan of but at times I felt like the humor was forced. I had really high expectations for this book 😫 but like I said, I really enjoyed it. It was a cute, fun, quick read. Perfect for the summertime lounging by the pool
Jessica Lemmon
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hero Max is sharp and shrewd on the surface and achingly romantic down deep, and so is this story. Down with Love is perfection—I have a new favorite Kate Meader book!
Lindsey Domokur of Crazy Reader Chicks
3.5 stars. I liked the banter back and forth. The reason I rounded up was because Max's past wasn't overly talked about and he was smitten with Charlie the first time he saw her and looked at no one else. It was nice to see the two of them debunk all the theories they had about love. It was understandable that both of them were hurt in the past, but I loved how Max opened himself up to love eventually.
Karen ♐
I received an ARC of this book for my honest review.

Max is a divorce attorney and Charlie is a wedding planner...Yes, they are oil and water. Charlie is the wedding planner for Max's brother's wedding. So, of course, they start out sniping at one another. It was so much fun watching these two grow closer and closer. The chemistry between them is spot on.
The secondary characters in this book are also fantastic. I really enjoyed the first person POV. It felt as if these characters were speaking
Scrill
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, romance, chick-lit

Blog | Bookstagram | Twitter

ARC received from the publisher through Netgalley for a fair review.

When Max’s brother announces that he is getting married, Max is at first on guard. As a divorce lawyer, he has seen it all, and he just wants to protect his brother. In comes the wedding planner Charlie Love. Not only does she challenge Max to be a supportive best man, but also challenges his belief on love and whether or not he can find it.

The Story-
Told from alternating points of view this is th

• Just the Tip
  • Doctor Heartbreaker (A Cocky Hero Club Novel)
  • Tell Me You're Mine
  • Mother Clucker (A Cocky Hero Club Novel)
  • Dirty Dealer (Cocky Hero Club)
  • I Think I Love You (Oxford, #5)
  • Hard Sell (21 Wall Street, #2)
  • Text 2 Lovers (2 Lovers, #1)
  • Scandalous Scotsman
  • My Sinful Longing (Sinful Men #3)
  • My Sinful Desire (Sinful Men #2)
  • The What If Guy (The Guys Who Got Away, #2)
  • Irish on the Rocks (Murphy Brothers #2)
  • The Break-Up Album
  • Dirty Irish
  • Hired Hottie (Cocky Hero Club)
  • My Sinful Love (Sinful Men #4)
  • Parental Guidance (Ice Knights, #1)
Kate writes sexy contemporary romance with strong guys and amazing women and men who match their heroes quip for quip. In her latest series, Rookie Rebels, a new generation of players take to the ice and learn that all’s fair in love and hockey.

Sign up for her newsletter to get updates on sales, giveaways, and new releases.

The Rookie Rebels spins off her bestselling Chicago Rebels hockey ro

Laws of Attraction (3 books)
  • Illegally Yours (Laws of Attraction, #2)
  • Then Came You (Laws of Attraction, #3)

News & Interviews