Start by marking “We Were Yahoo!: From Internet Pioneer to the Trillion Dollar Loss of Google and Facebook” as Want to Read:

3.07  ·  Rating details ·  28 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Only someone from the corporate inside could explain how Yahoo!—one of the greatest brands in corporate history—could rise to the greatest height ever seen in American business…and then crash into oblivion.

For anyone paying attention, the beginning of the end for Yahoo! began with decisions made by the first team of executives while the company was on its way up, which se
Published January 23rd 2018 by Post Hill Press

To ask other readers questions about We Were Yahoo!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We Were Yahoo!

Tom Hespos
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Add a star if you were a participant in the first dot com boom and look back on that period fondly.

Ring was my first Yahoo! sales rep and for that, I will tease him relentlessly until one of us dies. The first several chapters of this book cover a period we lived through with similar perspectives, and that bit of nostalgia riding through his narrative of the go-go 90s was terrific fun.

In my opinion, the writing gets really compelling when Ring describes one of the downsides of all that dot com m
Erik Surewaard
May 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
This person shows what is clearly wrong with society. Somebody who has no real specialist education, was non-performant in his jobs (he admitted himself he did nothing and only played e.g. minecraft), got fired, had four jobs in two years, lived in a “cupboard” in a small appartment in NY, and by massive luck was hired by Yahoo two months before the IPO. And this with 50k stock options.

He got hired by Yahoo because he worked several months by an advertising company (IMS) that worked for Yahoo. T
Celeste Conover
Ok but long winded.

I started using yahoo when it first came out. It was great at one time, but now has too many problems and I was wondering why. I was hoping this book would explain that, but it barely touched on the technical aspect of yahoo and instead focused on advertising and shareholder price. And about midway through the book it got long and boring.
Russel Lazega
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A must read for business enthusiasts. An intriguing story of how the right company can go so wrong and crumble.
Doro
Jul 28, 2018 rated it liked it
A recollection of interesting times but in parts hard to read. Too many repetitions. An editor would have been a good idea.
Cory
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It gives great insight to the workings of s major company. The only thing I didn't like was that it turned into a bit of a CEO bashing towards the end.
David Oxley
Apr 28, 2018 rated it liked it
4 stars for content, but the author's repetitive writing style and the book's haphazard organization bring it down to 3 stars. Still worth reading.
Heidi
May 13, 2018
Kyujung Youn
Feb 07, 2018
Filippo
rated it did not like it
Jul 01, 2018