Start by marking “We Were Yahoo!: From Internet Pioneer to the Trillion Dollar Loss of Google and Facebook” as Want to Read:

Only someone from the corporate inside could explain how Yahoo!—one of the greatest brands in corporate history—could rise to the greatest height ever seen in American business…and then crash into oblivion.

For anyone paying attention, the beginning of the end for Yahoo! began with decisions made by the first team of executives while the company was on its way up, which se
Published January 23rd 2018 by Post Hill Press

To ask other readers questions about We Were Yahoo!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We Were Yahoo!

Start your review of We Were Yahoo!: From Internet Pioneer to the Trillion Dollar Loss of Google and Facebook
Andrew Smith
Having recently listened to an audio version of In the Plex: How Google Thinks, Works and Shapes Our Lives it created a desire in me for more information on probably the key forerunner to Google. Yahoo is referenced many times in the Google book, it’s clear they had paved the way for later technology companies to push on and further leverage the opportunities presented by the World Wide Web. In this book a former executive tells of his time at Yahoo and how and why the company later fell from p ...more
Moshe Mikanovsky
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Rounded up to 4*. I am one of the only people I know that is still using Yahoo email. I got my first email address back in 1995 when I finished my army service and joined my first job. It was great! I remember Yahoo being the first page for everything - the search, the portal to different sort of sites, and the content they started building in. I also remember the first ads they used to put on strategic places on the page. These were the golden days of Yahoo, and since then they fell, and how gl ...more
Chris Esposo
Jan 01, 2019 rated it did not like it
A painfully mediocre exposé on Yahoo, written by a former sales exec who jumped ship right before the tech bubble burst of 2001. Although the title (and release timing of 2018, just a little over a year after Marissa Mayer stepped down from the firm and ended it as an independent entity) suggest it's on the decline of Yahoo in the mid-late aughts, this author didn't witness any of it firsthand. He wasn't connected or a player in the company at the time by his own admission.

The book starts off by
Ruth
Jul 11, 2019 rated it did not like it
A few actually interesting parts, mostly meh or high-level known stuff. I wouldn’t recommend reading it unless you’re specifically interested in how Yahoo did ads and monetization, the pre bubble choices they made, and why. The overview of CEOs is neither awful nor insightful. Nothing really about infrastructure or things most people in tech vs business might find interesting about early yahoo.

Jerry Ring himself is so boring he put capitalism on his life focus thing along with his children. Yik
Celeste Conover
Ok but long winded.

I started using yahoo when it first came out. It was great at one time, but now has too many problems and I was wondering why. I was hoping this book would explain that, but it barely touched on the technical aspect of yahoo and instead focused on advertising and shareholder price. And about midway through the book it got long and boring.
Tom Hespos
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Add a star if you were a participant in the first dot com boom and look back on that period fondly.

Ring was my first Yahoo! sales rep and for that, I will tease him relentlessly until one of us dies. The first several chapters of this book cover a period we lived through with similar perspectives, and that bit of nostalgia riding through his narrative of the go-go 90s was terrific fun.

In my opinion, the writing gets really compelling when Ring describes one of the downsides of all that dot com m
Erik Surewaard
May 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
This person shows what is clearly wrong with society. Somebody who has no real specialist education, was non-performant in his jobs (he admitted himself he did nothing and only played e.g. minecraft), got fired, had four jobs in two years, lived in a “cupboard” in a small appartment in NY, and by massive luck was hired by Yahoo two months before the IPO. And this with 50k stock options.

He got hired by Yahoo because he worked several months by an advertising company (IMS) that worked for Yahoo. T
Peter Myers
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. Well written from a different perspective. Certainly shows how the nonsense of the dot com boom was fuelled more by good luck than anything else, and showed just how impactful some bad decisions can be
Russel Lazega
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A must read for business enthusiasts. An intriguing story of how the right company can go so wrong and crumble.
Doro
Jul 28, 2018 rated it liked it
A recollection of interesting times but in parts hard to read. Too many repetitions. An editor would have been a good idea.
Cory
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It gives great insight to the workings of s major company. The only thing I didn't like was that it turned into a bit of a CEO bashing towards the end.
David Oxley
Apr 28, 2018 rated it liked it
4 stars for content, but the author's repetitive writing style and the book's haphazard organization bring it down to 3 stars. Still worth reading.
Luigi Benetton
Dec 11, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a decent book. However, even though it may have been fact-checked, it reads as though it was tinged by personal “bias” FWIW.
Mike

• The End of Education: Redefining the Value of School
  • Facebook: The Inside Story
  • No Filter: The Inside Story of Instagram
  • The Boy from the Woods
  • Reboot: Probably More Than You Ever Wanted to Know about Starting a Global Business
  • The Four: The Hidden DNA of Amazon, Apple, Facebook, and Google
  • Win Your Case: How to Present, Persuade, and Prevail--Every Place, Every Time
  • The Man Who Solved the Market: How Jim Simons Launched the Quant Revolution
  • Tiny Moons: A Year of Eating in Shanghai
  • The Innovators: How a Group of  Hackers, Geniuses and Geeks Created the Digital Revolution
  • Chernobyl: The History of a Nuclear Catastrophe