Start by marking “Magnetic” as Want to Read:
Magnetic

Magnetic

When Elle Christiansen's rebellion leads to her father's expulsion from a parsonage in small-town Ohio, the forlorn pair is forced to move to Oklahoma to live with an aunt neither of them has ever met. Here she encounters her aunt’s neighbor — Maverick Mason, the quietly confident son of a wealthy oil tycoon who infuriates her as much as he inexplicably draws her in…

Mav
Published September 10th 2017

To ask other readers questions about Magnetic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Magnetic

chloe ♡
Okay, okay. *takes a deep breath* I have mixed feelings about this book.

At the beginning, I found it really difficult to connect with the MC. She keeps complaining, she is rude to her poor dad who treats her so well, she flirts with a boy because "she's bored and wants a distraction". What the heck? I was rolling my eyes at her ridiculousness and I didn't care about her. The writing was also too descriptive (so many adjectives! But if you're a fan of really detailed writing then I'm sure you wou
Alice-Elizabeth (marriedtobooks)
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
I was on the promotional blog tour for this book!

Magnetic was a novel I read in a single sitting and one that even to this moment, as I type my thoughts up, that I’m still trying to digest fully what happened throughout with the mysteries and scary nightmares that the main character Elle experiences. Even though the genre above is listed contemporary, I would also add mystery/thriller to that list, since it was definitely a thrilling read that kept me eager to read up to the last page. Elle move
Elaine
This was a surprising, enthralling read for many reasons and the 'A Word from the Author' helps explain why it is so emotively written.

Elle Christiansen is a rebellious teen whose behaviour has caused her father to be expelled from his role as the parson of a small Ohio town. She isn't a naturally, nasty, rebellious young lady but her experience of finding her dying Mum that happened just before her eleventh birthday has had severe consequences on her life and attitude.

Moving to Oklahoma, being
Lisa Mandina
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
I will just say that I burned through this book in no time. It was a very edge of your seat, need to know what is happening next, type of story. I like how a part of the story tied in a historical aspect that is currently in a bestselling book, about how Native Americans were murdered because of having oil or other resources on their land. While I kind of figured out why the rich guy didn't want his son dating the Native American girl, the main character's mother, there was even another twist at ...more
April
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book. Addictive!

A really great book. Compelling characters. I loved Maverick. He's everything a great book boyfriend is, handsome, rich & suffering from hero complex. Totally worth the read. Would highly recommend if you like your mystery with a side of soul connecting romance.
Britni
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book! Finished it in two days, read it every free minute I had :-) I will be recommending to all my friends!
Amanda Davis
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Such a captivating novel for a debut! The word choice and flow of the text bring the book life, as if you were right in the middle of the sorry! I love that the author adds romance in this mystery, but does so in a tasteful way that refuses to cheapen the story with too much detail.
books are love
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is so engrossing.

Elle is a girl with alot of anger. She lashes out at people to keep them at bay and not let anyone close to her even her dad. Ever since her mom’s murder and her finding her she has done this. She also has these strange dreams that scare her. When her dad loses her job, her life changes. He is moving them to Oklahoma and in with her aunt. An aunt neither knew about until recently.

Elle’s world changes quickly. She is now where her mom was raised, she meets a boy she is
Lenni Jones
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs-and-special
Copy provided by Xpresso Book Tours

Just like being around Maverick was addictive for Elle, this book was extremely addictive for me. All I wanted was to be back with my phone so I could drain my phone’s battery reading this book during school. I think separation from a book may just be the worst kind of torture possible when it’s a good book.

Anyway, let’s talk about the actual book. I thought the romance was SUPREMELY adorable! All I wanted was for Elle and Maverick to finally kiss, but he would
Elizabeth
2.5/5 stars..
I was so excited for this one. From the moment i saw it's beautiful cover and red it's intriguing synopsis i knew i was going to enjoy it.. So what went wrong?
Well, for me the one thing that really dissapointed me was the writing. It felt like i was reading a fan fiction and not a good one. Elle, is a girl that has been through a lot and through the story we learn that she also has panic and anxiety attacks both of wich the author failed to present in a satisfying way. I swear at
Cranky - The Book Curmudgeon
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 Cranky Stars

Magnetic from the start draws you in and keeps you hooked. There were parts in the book that made me honestly feel what the character was feeling, whether it was sad, happy, giddy etc. There were times I wanted to get up and walk into another room or cover my eyes like I do with some movies or tv shows I watch because of those scenes you know are going to be embarrassing or just be bad or mushy, lovey dovey. The book flowed smoothly from one thing to another, no jumping. It came to
Laura  Hernandez (TheVoluptuousBkDiva/YABkDivas)
Four and a half stars!

This enthralling read will keep you glued to the edge of your seat from beginning to end. Well-written and smooth flowing storyline with characters that jump right out of the pages. I recommend this book! - YA/NA Book Divas

{I requested a copy for reviewing purposes and made no guarantee of a favorable review. The opinions contained herein are unbiased and my own.}
Elizabeth
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A entertaining and engaging read! I’d recommend this book for fans of young adult fiction. The story grabs your attention and makes you want to keep reading. I am excited to see what Carissa MIller c Mrs out with next!
Gina Ousley
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book.....absolute page turner and I could not put it down! I have recommended this to both adults and young adults. Loved it!
Keri Hathcoat
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Would love for there to be a sequel!!
Basic B's Guide
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Thank you to Carissa Miller for providing a free copy for review. All opinions are my own.

This book is difficult for me to review as I’m not an avid YA reader. I don’t have particularly fond memories of my teenaged years (I was tall and awkward) so I tend to defer from books where the main character is a teenager. Nonetheless, I think it’s important to step outside our comfort zone when reading. I have much appreciation for Carissa and her journey. While this is not a true story, it is inspired
Becky Boudreau
Actual rating 3.5.

**HUGE THANK YOU TO CARISSA MILLER AND YA BOUND BOOK TOURS FOR PROVIDING ME WITH AN E-ARC OF THIS BOOK. ALL OPINIONS ARE MY OWN**

Reviews like this one can be found on my blog http://coffeecocktailsandbooks.com/re...

Full Review:

Magnetic is one of those books that will make a fun beachside read. While the main mystery is dark and gritty, the main focus of the story is on a romance and seventeen-year-old coming to grips with the loss of her mom and finally learning how to open up
Three Crowns
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
When your favorite interior designer writes a book, you stop what you’re doing and read it. Everything Carissa Miller @ccandmikecreative does is creative and beautiful. Is there anything she can’t do?!

Haunted by the violent attempted rape and murder of her mother, Miller takes a little from her own real life experience and writes a suspenseful tale of love, loss and strength in a young girl.

Synopsis:
A few days before Elle Christiansen’s 11th birthday her mother is brutally murdered. The murder
Hannah
Apr 30, 2018 rated it did not like it
I’m not sure whose been giving this thing such a high rating. I mean, sure it’s not the worst book out there but some basic editing could have helped. She said the word “magnetic” about 30 times, 10 of those were in just 2 chapters. Not to mention all the other phrases she repeats a zillion times throughout the book...so much soul peering and drawing together. Many important commas were missing- in a couple spots I had to reread the sentence to figure out what was actually being said. And my fav ...more
Kendy Cotten
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Carissa Milller has amazing talent. I started following her on Instagram for her style and home decor page and found out she is also a writer. I knew at that point that I must read her book. And the fact that she lives in my city, it was a must. So now about the book. This was a very entertaining read. If you like mystery, murder and love, then your gonna love this book. It's a fast read and just an all around great and fun read. I cant wait to see what her next book will be about.
The Well Red Women
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
This young adult book gives you a little bit of mystery with a little bit of romance. Most fun part about this book? The author will skype with you or meet with you if you're local and join your book club meeting!

Our book club probably isn't the typical audience for this book (looking at your young adult readers!) but we had a great time discussing and reading! Easy read and looking forward to the sequel!
Hauntedbybooks
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
Magnetic was a thrilling read. I loved all the twists and turns! I thought it was interesting that this book was inspired by true events. I loved how fast the pace was! This book has a little bit of romance with plenty of mystery!
Carrie Veldstra
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this read so much! Loved all the ties to Tulsa and Eastern Oklahoma.
Anie
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Elle's mom was brutally murdered few day before her 11th birthday and she watched her die. The event made huge impact on her, made her afraid to open up and act out at times. Before her senior year her dad loses his job and they moved to live with aunt, she never knew she has. Her aunt lives in the cottage by the huge mansion, there lives Maverick. Elle feels instant pull towards him.

He is the first person she opens up about what happens. I love the slight supernatural aspect of the story. Elle
Donna McGuire Pepper
Feb 07, 2018
Christa
Oct 09, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »
Carissa Miller writes a lifestyle and design blog called CC and Mike, where she and her husband blog about their experiences designing, building, and flipping houses in the Midwest. She was inspired to write her debut novel—Magnetic—because of her firsthand experience living with the trauma of an unsolved violent crime, her mother's attempted murder that remains unsolved to this day.