Start by marking “Fool's Notion” as Want to Read:
Fool's Notion

Fool's Notion

Missouri mules were the best. Alda grew to love the creatures working side by side with her pa on their farm along the banks of the Missouri River. He would be hopping mad when he realized his wife and daughter colluded behind his back to sell a pack string. It wouldn’t matter that they were trying to save the farm.

Alda struck out on her own to drive the team over fifte
Published September 14th 2017 by Forget Me Not Romances, a division of Winged Publications

To ask other readers questions about Fool's Notion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fool's Notion

Start your review of Fool's Notion
Carrie Schmidt (Reading is My SuperPower)

Fool’s Notion is a charming story of a stubborn woman (is it any wonder she’s driving mules across the country) and the mysterious man who self-appoints himself her ‘cowboy in shining stirrups’ (my term. don’t judge the author for my feeble attempts to make ‘knight in shining armor’ fit the theme of the story lol) There’s adventure, romance, emotion, and faith – all woven together in a setting that is at once beautiful and treacherous.

Alda is spunky and determined to save her family ho
Jessica Baker (A Baker's Perspective)
If you would have told me a few months ago that I was going to read a book about mules, I probably would have laughed. Mules? Sure, they are cute, but who has a use for them? Flickinger's Fool's Notion has made me a believer. Now granted the mules weren't the main part of the story line per se, but I did enjoy reading about them and Alda's adoration for them.

Perhaps that biggest scene stealer, however, was Cord. Handsome? Yes. Bounty hunter? Yes. Stealer of hearts? You betcha! Cord was strong, d
Becky Lewis
A Fool’s Notion by Lisa J. Flickinger first caught my eye with its unusual and intriguing cover. A redheaded woman in a beautiful period dress is watching a mule train trek across barren land. I knew there had to be a great story there.

In 1883, Alda Lealand of Kansas has decided to take the California trail as a single lady. Unusual enough, but she is also driving a pack of mules 1500 miles cross-country to be sold following her mother’s death and father’s disappearance. Cord is the bounty hunte
Amy Koster
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
I love a good story of a young woman trying to be strong all while making a complete fool of herself. Alda was just that. Trying to save her family and farm from ruin she sets out on the journey of her life. Not knowing what lay ahead of her, but knowing determination, will see her through. Alda is as stubborn as the mules she was transporting. I just loved her! I loved her determination and bravery. My heart cheered her on but felt the sadness she felt in her trials.
Then along comes the ever h
Suzie Waltner
Sep 11, 2018 rated it liked it
A journey driving a team of mules from Missouri to Death Valley becomes one with much more depth for Alda Lealand.
3.5 Stars

Alda is determined, stubborn and courageous but she also loves her home and misses her mama. When she meets Cord near the beginning of her adventure, she is ready to send him on his way after his assistance. Yet he somehow keeps showing up just when she needs rescuing.

There’s an air of mystery around Cord—I mean the guy doesn’t even give his last name—and the desire to unrav
Sydney

Fool’s Notion by Lisa J. Flikinger is an enjoyable sweet and inspiring story about a woman’s journey as she treks across the west with her mule pack. A simple, light, and quick read, Flikinger has created a tale with pleasant characters and an agreeable setting. Not only is this story about a personal journey, it also has a bit of sweet romance. Although the first third to half of the book is a bit slow going, the pace does pick up. Readers will not be disappointed if they push to the end of thi
Janice Dick
As usual with Lisa Flickinger’s books, I love the cover.

A young woman—Alda Lealand—travels with a string of donkeys from Kansas to California, and encounters many trials along the California Trail. She also meets a young bounty hunter named Cord, who helps her accomplish her goal.

The characters in Fool’s Notion are strong. Alda is as feisty as one might expect of a young woman who takes on such a challenge, and her brilliant, curly red hair seems to add exclamation to her personality. She has
J.E. Grace
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the first novel I've read by Lisa J.Flickenger. I took right away to her writing style which was easy to read and her descriptions of the 1880's time period were well written. I really enjoyed her main characters, Alda & Cord. They both were dealing with running from their past.

Alda, a young woman from Missouri was traveling west by herself along with a team of mules that belonged to her father. She had taken them without his permission shortly after her mother died. Along the way, Cord,
Debbie
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Fool's Notion" by Lisa J. Flickinger is a wonderful story of love at first sight. It is also a story of a person that is supposed to love someone loves money more.

Alda is determined to save her family's farm but to do so she puts herself into danger and her father even puts her into a situation that is hard to accept and even imagine that a father would do!

Both Cole and Alda claims that the other saved them from situations, but I say they saved each other.

This book was filled with twists that
Betti
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It's 1883 and Missouri Mules were known to be the best mules for hauling, especially heavy loads. Most young ladies were busy batting their eyes and flirting with the young men in their circle. The thought of being a mule skinner would never have even enetered their minds - much less moving a pack of mules from Missouri to California! Apparently not the case for our young heroine, Alda, who set out on her own to deliver a mule string all the way, without the thought of the danger of traveling al ...more
Patti Pierce
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Once in a while a book comes along that captures my imagination and this is one of those books. While I have never personally dealt with mules, the author does a great job of painting a picture of what dealing with them must be like. I could imagine how Alda must have felt going behind her father’s back with her mother’s assistance to sell a pack string to save their family farm. I found myself rooting for Alda to accomplish her goal.

The book was fast-paced and did an excellent job of keeping my
Janice Sisemore
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
Fool’s Notion

This was a very interesting and enjoyable book. Alda is traveling by herself with the mules to sell them to her uncle. She is trying to save her family farm but her father ends up charging her with stealing the mules.

Cord who is a bounty hunter comes upon her and decides to make sure she stays safe. They meet other families along the way. But he cannot always be around.

This is historical so there is lots of wildernesses and different type of adventure we would have today since tra
Karen Hadley
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
MY THOUGHTS:

A fun and delightful story. Within its pages, author Lisa J. Flickinger's talent for writing flows throughout each page. It is funny, suspense filled, encouraging and just an all around great read. The main characters of Alda, Cord and a few others are the kind you connect with in a flash. Each has their own secrets and past yet they strive to put it behind them and focus on the day ahead. It is a quick and easy read and one you will want to take time for and enjoy on any kind of da
Sarah Parrales
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Interesting story!

When you start reading it’s like another cowboy story, but once you get into reading you don’t want to stop!! Loved the characters an the relationship to the animals especially, I thought I wouldn’t enjoy reading this interesting story but as I continued to read it got me to where I wanted to know more, read more, anyone would enjoy this interesting story of hardship and lack of family closeness a story anyone could relate too! Thank you for including the need to know God in a
Deanna Stevens
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-read
She was as stubborn as her mules and Alda thought she could drive a team of mules over fifteen hundred miles.. to save her home.. Alone!  She thought she was strong enough but the story gets interesting when handsome cowboy Cord arrives out of nowhere. Plenty of action as we ride along the fifteen hundred mile trail to California. I really enjoyed this trip!
I was gifted a copy and no review was required. My review is voluntary.
Ann
Apr 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you are looking for a book with action, adventure and romance, you have found it! It is a good clean book that can be enjoyed by all. Give it a try, you won't regret it. I was given a free copy by the author for a honest review, but I will be reading more of her books.
Cindy Nipper
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful! Strong faithfilled story!

I'm addicted! I think Lisa is one of my new favorite authors!! I sure hope there's lots more coming!!! I was especially fond of the growth in God both characters experienced!!
Carolyn Neinas
May 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I just absolutely loved this book. I loved the story and it was so well written. Grab a copy for yourself!
Vicki Vaught
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved the book! Moved at a good pace and had a unique story line. Looking forward to reading more by this author!
Deana Dick
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well Howdy Folks. Welcome to a trip to the 1880s. The land is rugged at times, the weather unforgiving and dreams of settling down whispers in the clouds. If there has ever been a fiery, independent, outspoken young woman it has to be Alda. She may not be tall or look like she can take care of herself, but let me tell you, don't ever underestimate a young woman on a mission to save her family home. What was she thinking taking mules across country by herself from Missouri to California? Mules ar ...more
Kelly Tyree
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved Fool's Notion. It is about a lady named Alda who leaves her home with her family's prized mules to sell them in California. She is doing this against her father's wishes so save the family's farm. She planned this with her mother before her mother died. The distance from Missouri to California is sizable. Things are going well until one of Alda's mules eats to much sand and becomes ill. Alda is stuck with a sick mule that refuses to move. A cowboy named Cord comes to the rescue. The prob ...more
Nyla
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fool’s Notion by author Lisa J. Flickenger is a Christian historical romance set in 1883. Filled with adventure, humor, sass, romance, and history, this book was easy to pick up and hop right into its pages. I was immediately invested. It was the first I had read by this author, and I will be watching for more.

It is the tale of Alda Lealand, a young woman on a journey. She takes off on a solo mission from Kansas on the California Trail with animals to sell in hopes of saving her home. Does this
Sharon
Based on the book synopsis, I had hopes that Fool’s Notion was going to be the perfect bedtime read for me. A bit of history, a touch of adventure, and with mules I felt sure there would be a bit of comic relief tossed in as well.

Unfortunately after just a few chapters, I was struggling with Alda, Cord, and their story. I found myself not liking the main characters of this story and had difficulty believing that it was all possible. A young woman traveling on her own with a pack of mules across
Julie D.
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a sweet story about Alda who is trying to do the right thing for her family but she doesn't always go about it in the right way. She's a stubborn girl and wants to do things her way...hence, trouble seems to find her every step of the way.

Alda decides to drive a pack of mules 1500 miles to earn enough money to save the farm after her mother's death. Her father really isn't any help at all and I found myself thinking he needed to "man up" more than once! lol

Thankfully, she meets Cord, a b
Michelle
Fool's Notion is a historical western romance novel by author Lisa J. Flickinger. The setting is the California Trail, 1883

The reader meets the female protagonist, Alda, on the very first page as she is driving the most stubborn of animals across the country. We also meet Cord, the hero, who seems to want to help Alda, although Alda is as stubborn as her pack of mules. The reader follows along as Alda faces danger, turmoil, and touches of humor. I found it interesting to learn that sitting in th
Bree
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it

This was a fun western themed novel. I really liked the story and the mules made me giggle. There was much growth in this novel and I am not talking about the mules, Alda is trying to keep her family afloat though her father isn’t helping too much. She tries to come up with a way to produce some money and ends up meeting Cord, a man that finds those that have gone against the law. He is certainly not looking for Alda but when he finds her, it is hard to let her go.

I think this story was great; r
Jennifer  J.
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
A simple but likeable and engaging novella. An easy, comfortable read with a light and sweet touch of faith and romance but with enough action to keep it real. Readers will enjoy the variety of characters and their interaction and development. The California Trail in the late 1800s – such an adventure indeed! Enjoy!

Disclaimer: I received a complimentary copy of this book. A favorable review was not required, no compensation was received, and all views expressed are my own.
Virginia Winfield
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a sweet historical fiction story. It was a crazy idea for Alda to try to cross the country in 1883 by herself with a group of donkeys. I like how Cord meets Alda and I enjoyed how they interact with each other. There is a bit of romance and a bit of intrigue in the story. I received a copy of this book from Celebratelit for a fair and honest opinion that I gave of my own free will.
Reggie W Akers
Aug 19, 2020
Phyllis
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fool's Notion is the first book by Lisa Flickinger that I have read.  It is the tale of several journeys.  The physical one from Missouri to California, leading a string of mules, the romantic one, as Alda and Cord get to know one another and rescue each other from a number of perils along the way, and a spiritual one for both, as Alda revisits her reasons for rejecting God and for Cord as he learns to forgive.

The imagery in the story transported me to the places that Alda traveled.  The descrip

• This Courageous Journey (Heart of the Mountains, #4)
  • Harrington's Valley
  • Marrying a Marshal Box Set
  • Shadows from the Past
  • The Lady's Maid (Prairie Dreams #1)
  • The Christmas Prayer
  • The Mending of Lillian Cathleen (The Women of Rock Creek Book 2)
  • The 12 Gifts of Christmas
  • The Lady and the Mountain Man  (Mountain Dreams, #1)
  • A Duel for Christmas (Pevensey Mysteries, #3)
  • Gentle Courage
  • The Unexpected Champion (High Sierra Sweethearts, #3)
  • Justin's Captive Bride (Lawmen's Brides, #4)
  • An Hour Unspent (Shadows Over England, #3)
  • Unbound by Grace
  • The Amish Midwife's Secret (Love and Promises #2)
  • Cy Page: Western Union Man
  • Delayed Justice (Hidden Justice #3)
Lisa J. Flickinger, author of historical novels Fool’s Notion, Ella, and All That Glitters, lives and writes from the cliff of a river along the majestic Rocky Mountains. When not writing or reading, you will find her scouring antique shops or sipping a maple latte with friends and family. To learn more about her visit http://www.lisajflickinger.com or her Facebook author page Lisa J. Flickinger. ...more