Start by marking “Period Repair Manual, Second Edition: Natural Treatment for Better Hormones and Better Periods” as Want to Read:

Period Repair Manual is your guide to better periods using natural treatments such as diet, nutritional supplements, herbal medicine, and natural hormones. It contains advice and tips for women of every age and situation. If you have a period (or want a period), then this book is for you.

Topics include:
* How to come off hormonal birth control
* What your period should b
Published September 14th 2017 by Lara Briden ND (first published January 16th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Period Repair Manual, Second Edition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Period Repair Manual, Second Edition

Start your review of Period Repair Manual, Second Edition: Natural Treatment for Better Hormones and Better Periods
Julie
Feb 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is not the kind of book that you necessarily want to let all your friends on goodreads know that you have read. But I want to give it a review, because it is an amazingly helpful and empowering book, and I believe that all women should read it.

It is full of extremely clear and helpful information on naturally balancing your hormones, increasing your fertility, finding effective and healthy birth control, treating PMS, irregularity, pain, peri-menopause, inflammation, and every other challe
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All women of all ages
This book was published last year. I wish it had been published when I was 13, and instead of handing me the pill, someone would have handed me this book. The good news is it's never too late to fix yourself. This short book is a wealth of information, many of it I'll admit I was ignorant to. I feel empowered to take charge of my body and I will never, NEVER go back to taking the pill again.
Kelly Little Hansen
It is me and my troubled hormones again, popping up on Goodreads with another review on books concerning periods. But this book was so informative, easy to digest and empowering. Typically I stay away from anything stating it’s a “manual” or a “cure” but this IS a manual and one I plan on referring to time and time again. The writing is very concise, not full of Briden patting herself on the back or shoving anti birth control sentiments down your throat. She is very well informed and truly an ad ...more
Courtney
Jul 22, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There are too many false and uncited claims mixed in with some good information. Here are some troublesome statements I came across:
1. The book states, “Need a quick way to know if a food item has too much sugar? Ask yourself: ‘Does it taste really sweet?’ If it does—if it is essentially dessert—then it has too much sugar.” What kind of advice is that? To me personally, fresh pineapple tastes very sweet. But in reality, fresh fruit has zero added sugar. Conversely, many loaves of bread at the su
Randi
Jul 04, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It had some great info that I'm putting into practice, so hopefully it'll be helpful! As for the book itself, it got repetitive. The narration is done in a way that heavily asks the reader to read the book cover to cover and not just skip around, but it's written as though the reader IS skipping around, so it's very repetitive to read in many places. Also, the Kindle edition is very glitchy. I would be reading, and the book would randomly skip ahead by about 30%, and it was a nightmare to try to ...more
Katherine
Apr 23, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
🗣ATTN medical providers 🗣

If you want your patients to stop turning to naturopathic providers, listen to your patients. Acknowledge side effects of medication. Refer your patients to specialists when you don’t know something.

🌺And for the love of all that is holy, stop prescribing birth control for every period problem.🌺

Alright so now that my soap box is out of the way, let’s talk about this book. I’ll just jump right to the bad: there’s a lot of hormonal birth control fear-mongering in here. C
Feb 26, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The content of this book is truly vital and essential. I can not thank enough the writer for providing this information, and I would certainly recommend this manual to any woman, especially those experiencing any trouble with their period. However, I did not find the text very engaging. Instead, I found it dense and repetitive and it felt like it took me forever to finish the book. I would recommend the readers to read the first chapters and then jump to the chapter of their individual problem i ...more
Lindsay Nixon
Jun 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After working on Body in Balance with DR Neal Barnard I’ve become interested in hormones (and have sought out other professional opinions re: treatment)

This book provides the most comprehensive (and easy-to-understand) explanation of the female cycle. I’d recommend reading that part to every woman. For example, did you know that it takes 100 days for your eggs to mature? That is, a period (or lack) this month actually reflects what was happening in the body/life three months ago?

Also, did you
Mims
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a holy grail that all girls MUST read. It explains our periods, hormones and how evil the pill really is. I have been a suffer with issues for 10 years and no pharmaceutical medications have helped me so I have leaned towards the natural side now. This book has given me knowledge and confidence it all! The first half of the book is great explaining the basics, the diet and supplement tips and how she explains it all really makes sense and makes it link together. The second half is h ...more
Carleigh
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is the holy grail of women's health- I would never have picked it up if it hadn't recommended to me by a friend, but I am soo grateful that I did. This book is for any woman who's ever had that nagging feeling that the birth control pill is doing funky things to their bodies; spoiler alert, it is! Dr. Lara Briden does a fantastic job of demystifying female hormones and provides an explanation behind the many bizarre symptoms that many women experience from the pill.
Viv JM
Excellent and informative book.
Felicia
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This truly is more of a manual than a book to be read front to back. Burden gives great recommendations on how to naturally heal your menstrual cycle and the book is easy to flip through to find and hone in on your particular menstrual issue.
Andjelka Jankovic
A vital read for anyone interested in women’s health, hormones and natural birth control and conception. Written like a well-informed, medically trained friend talking to you who wants the best for you, backed up by Lara’s research and clinical practice.
Kelli
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, read-2017
One of the most informative and helpful books I have ever read regarding women's health. I will keep this forever and will probably always look back to it as a resource for the rest of my life.
Elizabeth Drake
Very useful information that isn't easy to find.
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-it
Ordered the updated 2nd edition halfway through this REALLY EXCELLENT BOOK FOR WOMEN! Concise, clear, personal, and so so helpful. I think this should be automatically given to all girls/young women when they start menstruating.
Megan
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All Women
Recommended to Megan by: Madeline
Your period is not just your period. It is an expression of your underlying health. When you are healthy, your menstrual cycle will arrive smoothly, regularly, and without symptoms. When you are unhealthy in some way, your cycle will tell the story.

I wish I had read this a decade ago. I would have saved myself from years and years of sub-optimal health. Unfortunately, this book wasn't even published 10 years ago, and instead I listened to my gynecologist who suggested I continue taking the p
Diana Iovanel
Apr 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I came across this book while researching the optimal healthy diet for myself and reading about the low-carb diet. While i tried my best to follow trustworthy sources, they lacked a vital aspect: they were talking "in general" which actually means "applied to men". When by chance i heard a woman health expert mention hormonal imbalances in women i had this epiphany that there have to be specific guidelines to regulate feminine hormones. I have to say this was very ironic because one of the bigge ...more
Danielle
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010s, non-fiction
Fascinating read, recommended for anyone who has a uterus. Great introduction to the menstrual cycle and all the hormones, etc., involved. Lots I didn't know--our bodies are incredibly complex. This is a great resource for a diet-and-supplement approach to sorting out hormonal imbalances. Doctors really do just suggest the pill, and there are so many other options to try first (like, for example, finding an actual diagnosis).

The book does get repetitive, but I found it helpful as someone who was
Amy Snow O'Connell
Every woman should read this book. The first step to empowerment is knowledge. So many of us feel slaves to these seemingly random spikes and dips in our bodies, but this book will teach you WHY things happen the way they do. Even more importantly, you will learn how you can influence the workings of your own body without harmful chemicals or hormones.
Rhianna Clawson
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome information to have on hand for any woman or your own problems. Full of solutions that go much deeper than just missing a period. Would recommend to many women in my life.
Steffany .O (coffee over apples)
THIS BOOK CHANGED MY LIFE
Why are there no men's hormonal birth control? What should a normal period look like? You mean PMS is NOT SUPPOSED to happen?

This is an understatement. For so long I have been struggling with reproductive medical problems and this book helped me understand what is going on and why. It opened the door to so many conversations with women in my life about "What should your period look like?" many thought they were suffering alone or thought they were simply experiencing wha
Alice
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kailey (BooksforMKs)
Jun 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This book has really helpful information, both explaining what can go wrong and how to repair it. It's easy to read and accessible, with a positive message of health and well-being for women. I like that it addresses a woman's ENTIRE cycle, and gives specific things to look for throughout the whole month. There is some good advice about how to talk to your doctor, as well as many simple diet changes or vitamin supplements and herbs that you can take on your own.
A valuable resource for all women!
Antonina Malyarenko
This book is an extremely helpful and important guide that addresses common misconceptions around women’s health. There is a lot of research out there and Lara Briden has compiled it with her own experience as a Naturopathic physician to provide a digestible guide for improving health naturally.

A key takeaway from this is that a period is often (for those identifying as women) the most important health and wellness indicator! Here we are taught it’s not normal to suffer and not necessary to blan
Amanda
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This should be required reading for all menstruating people when they're 12 or 13. Like, the government should provide us all a copy. It's a very in-depth but plain language explanation of our periods, our hormones, and gives detailed natural solutions for issues that women face, from fibroids, to PCOS, to endometriosis, to your general, garden-variety heavy bleeding. She also talks about perimenopause and menopause, so I'm going to hold on to my copy for future reference.

I read this for help wi
Lisa Whitehead
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a must read book for those who have female anatomy.
I am astounded how helpful this book has been to me and to people as I mention things from it they should try.
10/10 pain from menstruation is now a thing of the past due to this book.
Whereas chance conversations with people about vitamins have helped many a woman I know to have their hair thicken up and stop falling out.

Know how your body should work and what to do when it doesn’t.
Marianne
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Feels strange to be publicly saying how much I love this book 😂 I feel like every woman should read this. I learned so much from reading this book and am way more empowered to make changes in my life that will help me be happier, healthier, and not stuck in the same rut.
Cori Mitchell
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book every woman should read. Great insight on our bodies!
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book about hormones for women (I recommend even if you don't have periods anymore). Very informative!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Taking Charge of Your Fertility: The Definitive Guide to Natural Birth Control, Pregnancy Achievement, and Reproductive Health
  • Beyond the Pill: A 30-Day Program to Balance Your Hormones, Reclaim Your Body, and Reverse the Dangerous Side Effects of the Birth Control Pill
  • The Fifth Vital Sign: Master Your Cycles & Optimize Your Fertility
  • WomanCode: Perfect Your Cycle, Amplify Your Fertility, Supercharge Your Sex Drive, and Become a Power Source
  • No Period. Now What?: A Guide to Regaining Your Cycles and Improving Your Fertility
  • Period Power: Harness Your Hormones and Get Your Cycle Working For You
  • The Happy Hormone Guide
  • In the Flo: Unlock Your Hormonal Advantage and Revolutionize Your Life
  • Seeing Red: Transforming Women's Health One Period at a Time
  • Wild Power: Discover the Magic of Your Menstrual Cycle and Awaken the Feminine Path to Power
  • Roar: How to Match Your Food and Fitness to Your Unique Female Physiology for Optimum Performance, Great Health, and a Strong, Lean Body for Life
  • Red Moon
  • Code Red: Know Your Flow, Unlock Your Monthly Super Powers and Create a Bloody Amazing Life. Period.
  • Fix Your Period: Six Weeks to Banish Bloating, Conquer Cramps, Manage Moodiness, and Ignite Lasting Hormone Balance
  • The Optimized Woman: Using Your Menstrual Cycle to Achieve Success and Fulfillment
  • It Starts with the Egg: How the Science of Egg Quality Can Help You Get Pregnant Naturally, Prevent Miscarriage, and Improve Your Odds in IVF
  • I Choose You
Lara Briden ND is a women's health doctor with more than twenty years experience in women's health. She has a strong science background, and worked as an evolutionary biologist before qualifying from the Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine in 1997.

Lara is passionate about hormones and health, and has helped thousands of patients with PCOS, endometriosis, and many other period problems.

She l

News & Interviews

“Together, estrogen and progesterone are the perfect yin and yang for mood. Estradiol lifts you up by boosting serotonin, oxytocin, and dopamine. Progesterone calms you down by acting like GABA in your brain.” 1 likes
“Breastfeeding suppresses periods because it stimulates your pituitary gland to make a hormone called prolactin, which prevents ovulation. Your prolactin should drop within three months after you stop breastfeeding, but it can sometimes stay high. Prolactin can also be mildly elevated from thyroid disease and stress.” 1 likes