Start by marking “How to Walk Away” as Want to Read:
How to Walk Away

How to Walk Away

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  44,157 ratings  ·  6,415 reviews
Margaret Jacobsen has a bright future ahead of her: a fiancé she adores, her dream job, and the promise of a picture-perfect life just around the corner. Then, suddenly, on what should have been one of the happiest days of her life, everything she worked for is taken away in one tumultuous moment.

In the hospital and forced to face the possibility that nothing will ever be
Published May 15th 2018 by St. Martin's Press
Featured Notes & Highlights

To ask other readers questions about How to Walk Away, please sign up.
Kristen Good question. It doesn't matter whether money was an issue for either family, there would have been a lawsuit. No question about it. My guess is that…moreGood question. It doesn't matter whether money was an issue for either family, there would have been a lawsuit. No question about it. My guess is that the author already had too many subplots going on and didn't want the story to be a courtroom drama on top of the rest.(less)

·  44,157 ratings  ·  6,415 reviews

Start your review of How to Walk Away
Deanna
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs, my-favorites, 2018
“When you don’t know what to do for yourself, do something for somebody else”

Sometimes a book comes along that makes my heart skip a beat. This is one of those times. I may not have come across this novel but a friend had just finished reading it and loved it. She thought I might enjoy it too.

She was right. I loved it!

Margaret Jacobsen has worked hard all of her life and things are starting to pay off. She’s dating an awesome guy, she’s going to be starting a great new job, and on a night ou
Melissa
May 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
*2.5 stars*

Quotes alluding to a charming, witty and heartbreaking read from some of the heavy-hitters in the women’s fiction genre made picking up How to Walk Away a no-brainer for this reader. Finding the strength and tenacity to overcome a tragedy, along with a budding romance . . . how could this bleeding heart not love this book? Believe me, I tried. I really did.

The approach Katherine Center takes in telling Margaret’s story of perseverance is what I feel differentiates this book from so m
Larry H
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
4.5 stars for this one.

When you can accurately predict nearly the entire plot of a book, yet you still can't tear yourself away from it—that's when you know you've found a good one.

Margaret Jacobsen has always been an overachiever. She worked tirelessly to get good grades and succeed in school. She has been dating her handsome, steadfast boyfriend, Chip, for several years now, and she just landed her dream job, even though she wasn't quite qualified. Everything is leading her up to the moment sh
Debra
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
3.5 Stars
"Sometimes the last thing you want is the one thing you need."

At the beginning of the book, Margret Jacobsen was right where she wanted to be in her life. She had earned her MBA, she was about to start a dream job, and was in a relationship with the "perfect man". What could be better? Then on day, Chip, the perfect man, decided to take her flying. He knew that she was scared to fly, he knew that she had reservations, but he talked her into it. Never mind that although he is taking pri
Crumb
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Margaret thinks this is it! Today is the day that she is going to become an engaged woman. And she did! But her whole life got rocked in ways that she could never have foreseen or imagined. Something happened that day that changed every fiber of Margaret's being. On that fateful day.. Margaret lost herself. This is the story of how Margaret found herself. A story of finding Courage, Hope, Resilience, and Strength. This is the story of new beginnings. This is a story of second chances.

I felt ren
Jennifer Masterson
I loved this book so much!!! All the feels! All the Stars! Lots of laugh out loud moments, lots of tears, wonderful characters (her sister Kit and her Instagram was the best!) and smart dialogue! This was probably the best chick lit book I have ever come across (unless Me Before You is chick lit)! It was even inspirational!

Margaret is in her late 20’s and has it all! She goes out to celebrate her new dream job, gets engaged to her longtime boyfriend Chip and then something suddenly happens righ
Susanne  Strong
4.25 Incredible Stars!!* (rounded down)

There are novelists and then there are novelists… those that just know how to tug at our heartstrings. How to envelop us in characters’ lives, and make our tear ducts burst wide open. Katherine Center is that kind of author.

Margaret’s life is incredibly full. She has everything to live for. The promise of her dream job and Chip, her boyfriend who is on the cusp of proposing. Then wouldn’t you know it, it all comes crashing down, literally.

Chip is mere min
KAS
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing

THIS! BOOK! I completely fell in love and was glued to every page, every word. Yes, it was unputdownable!

The roller coaster ride it takes you on is fascinating and totally captivating!

It’s a story of courage. A story of determination and grit! A story of acceptance.

It is also a romance, but don’t expect an alpha take charge, sexy, hot between the sheets kind of read. No, this is a heartfelt, hard fought for, humorous kind of love story that warmed my heart and pulled on it’s strings!

The main ch
Berit☀️✨
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 Big Brilliant Beautiful Stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

BEST BOOK of 2018 so far.... WOW! This book had all the feels.... I was absolutely captivated from first page to last... my emotions went on an amazing rollercoaster.... sorrow, anger, hope, elation, frustration, happiness, sadness, love, Hate, and so much more....

Margaret was a remarkable and inspiring character... she had a bright future and then tragedy struck and it was all taken away from her.... this book was about Margaret’s struggle and journey to the
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
5 utterly uplifting stars to How to Walk Away! 🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟

I was gobsmacked by Katherine Center’s previous book, Happiness for Beginners. She almost writes in her own genre. Not too light, not too heavy, elicits just the right amount of emotion, loving characters, and completely uplifting at the end. I found out there is a genre that is exactly this- UpLit. How to Walk Away is another rendition of UpLit.

Margaret is in the prime of her life, when it all may have been taken from her in an instant a
Diane S ☔
Apr 22, 2018 rated it liked it
2.5 If you look at the average rating and glowing reviews of this book, you will soon realize I am definitely in the minority with my opinion. Excepting for one friend in the sisters group, everyone else loved it. Fluffy reads, feel good reads, they definitely have a place for many, after a heavy read, or sad read, we all need something to lighten our day. I can't say I didn't enjoy parts of this, I did. Some of the characters were great and I am always drawn to a good looking Scotsman. The auth ...more
jessica
Apr 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
cute story. i really like the concept of it, but i would have loved it so much more if i hadnt read it already. the idea is quite similar to a significant portion of ‘maybe in another life.’

but most of my enjoyment came from the originality of the characters anyway - particularly the bond and interactions between margaret and her sister. i found them both to be funny and loved how they brought out the best in each other. ian is also a really great addition and i love how margaret brought out the
Carol (Bookaria)
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this novel, it was lighthearted and engaging.

Margaret's life is almost perfect. She has a wonderful boyfriend, recently finished her studies and has just (unofficially) landed her dream job. Her life falls apart when she suffers an accident that causes her to end up in the hospital with a life-changing injury and facing difficulties she never imagined.

I was captivated from the beginning. The characters are likable, interesting, and made me smile throughout. This is a novel a
Kaceey
100% unputdownable!
My heart was racing after the very first chapter....

Margaret knows tonight is her big night. This is the evening her boyfriend Chip is going to propose! She can feel it in her bones. Her best guess? Probably planning to pop the question at the restaurant tonight over a candle-lit dinner.
Well...she got her proposal all right, only it wasn’t nearly how she imagined!

Chip is just one final flight away from getting his pilot's license. That doesn’t stop him from hoping to take Ma
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
DNFing 20 mins into the audiobook bc I can already tell I'm gonna hate this even more than the last Katherine Center book I read. "YoU'rE tHiNkInG LiKe A gIrL" fuuuuuuck off
Linda
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, net-galley
It's the trying that heals you......

Perfect days lack perfection when life leaves its oppressing thumbprint. We can spin out of control in a nano second and all that we have come to know is left in shambles in the whirlwind.

Margaret Jacobsen knows only too well of the ridges and swirls of that thumbprint. With a freshly earned MBA and a handsome fiance in tow, Margaret reaches new heights. But those starlit heights have taken her on a flight with tragic consequences.

Chip wanted the perfect sett
ReadAlongWithSue
I don’t think I’ve given a 5* rating this year yet (2020) so here it is!
I was so invested in this story. I’m glad I became a part of Books and Jams reading group. This was the monthly pick by book tuber Krista. I loved it.

It brought out every emotion you could ever think of feeling.

It’s good that this didn’t have quite the ending you would be rooting for. Not in a nasty way, but realistic human life events way. Not everything is tied up in ribbons and bows......yet......the ending was just as f
ABookwormWithWine
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ / 5

Wow and here I thought the last book I read was emotional! How to Walk Away by Katherine Center made me cry even harder than The Ones We Choose did. However, in this book there is more romance and much more of an "inspirational story" vibe.

Margaret Jacobsen is 27 years old when she gets on a Cessna prop plane with her boyfriend who is working on getting his pilot's license. She is terrified of flying, but she gets on anyway because she wants to face her fears (plus she thinks her
Tucker
May 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I don’t read a lot of what is typically classified as women’s fiction because sometimes the plots can be too formulaic and predictable. But there are authors in that genre who don’t fit into what I realize are probably my unwarranted and stereotypical beliefs about women’s fiction (and based on what I’ve read recently it’s time to change those beliefs!) I’ve read great women’s fiction by Jojo Moyes, Jodi Picoult, Abbi Waxman, and Liane Moriarty. And now I’m adding Katherine Center to that list. ...more
Lindsay - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
4 stars!

Loved the writing, the characters and the humour!

This novel follows Maggie Jacobsen as she endures a shocking and devastating personal tragedy. Maggie has always strived for perfection in life – in school, her career, her relationships, her personal goals. Her mother’s high expectations have always been in the back of her mind, pushing her to reach higher and be the best. After landing her dream job and feeling the excitement of the possibility of a lifelong commitment with her boyfrien
Norma
4.5 Stars!

HOW TO WALK AWAY by KATHERINE CENTER was an extremely uplifting, kind, and heartwarming novel that captured my heart and drew me in almost immediately. There is so much goodness within the pages of this book! This is a story filled with romance, forgiveness, hope, courage, love, and resilience.

KATHERINE CENTER delivers a well-written and engaging read here with interesting, honest and believable characters. I absolutely loved the voice of our main character, Margaret “Maggie” she was
Elyse  Walters
May 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Library Overdrive Audiobook narrated by Therese Plummer.

“The earth dropped away from us ‘again’”...
“Hold on”.
Hold on to ‘what’, I was thinking.

“They were the very definition of helpless”, Margaret says.
Those were the last words before the plane crash.

At the start —the audio- narrator was fine. I was engaged & curious to see where this story was going.

Soon after the crash - my interest decrease. I felt the dialogue was lacking authenticity big time!!!!
Both the writing and the reader were WAY T
Erin
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, netgalley
Thanks to NetGalley for an advanced ebook in exchange for an honest review.

This book isn't hitting the stores until May 15th and so I strongly recommend my fellow reviewers head on over to NetGalley and check it out.

How to Walk Away is about a contemporary Texan family that is brought together after a devastating plane crash leaves one of their daughters(Margaret)in critical condition and prompts the return of their prodigal daughter, Kit. Margaret soon realizes that she's facing a life of pa
Kendall
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So... funny for some reason I got the idea in my head that this book was about walking away from a break up? Well... not really haha.

How to Walk Away was my first read by Katherine Center and I can definitely see why so many readers love her books!

How to Walk Away is a very uplifting and powerful story about learning to move on from things that cannot be changed. I remember going through a very tough time in my mid 20's and I bought a journal that had the following quote on each page "God, gran
Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️
4.5 Stars

This book is a great example about what I love about the Book of the Month club (and no, this not a plug for them, I'm just saying). Left to my own devices, I probably never would have picked this up. Even if I saw friends raving about it on goodreads. I am just not usually drawn to what I (erroneously) assume are sad, chick-lit books; however, when I got those five monthly book selections and their blurbs and spiels, etc., for whatever month this was, I felt drawn to this story.

Now, u
Giorgia ~ Reads
Mar 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: literary-fiction
3.5 Stars

When I finished reading this about a month ago I wasn’t sure how to review it because really it was a great book and objectively maybe even a 5 star read for some.

The writing was great, in a very matter of fact way, and I thought the author did a splendid job at characterising through dialog.

The social dynamics of a family were very well presented. I easily oscillated between empathising and criticising the people in Margaret’s life. By the end of the book, you have a pretty clear
Carol
COURAGE.

HOW TO WALK AWAY is a multi-layered story....with a wham-bang of a start....about the turbulent life of Margaret "Maggie" Jacobsen, her darkest fears, disappointments and courage to overcome adversity.

Author Katherine Center creates interesting characters....especially a resourceful big sister Kitty and gives our protagonist a strong will and witty voice to keep the reader engaged while the story moves right along.

More here than your usual chick-lit fare. Read in a day and REALLY enjoye

☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
WOW!

Here goes an insanely strong novel! I realize that everyone reads as some superhuman but, frankly, I like it. It's a book-shaped well of energy in there.

And with one of those happy endings I so much adore!

Q:
“God did not give me all this strength for nothing,” she went on. “You’ll recover, darling girl. We will put you back as good as new. I’ve already got a file folder as fat as a brick with articles on miraculous recoveries and people who’ve defied all their grim diagnoses.” (c)
Q:
It wasn’t
JanB
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
How do you move forward when life as you know it ends? Everything you had planned for, hoped for, and dreamed about is over. For Margaret, her life changes in an instant with a devastating accident that leaves her severely injured.

The focus of this heartwarming novel is how Margaret copes with the hand she's been dealt. And she has a colorful cast of characters that help her do just that. Some you will loathe, some will frustrate you, and others you will fall in love with. All are interesting, b
Christy
Apr 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars
 photo 3CECF3FE-5DE1-4934-A2F1-9808FD212F54_zpseo4xg1iv.png
‘When you don’t know what to do for yourself, do something for someone else.’

How to Walk Away is the third book I've read of Katherine Center's and I have to say, I'm in love with her writing. This one isn't my favorite of hers, but I still loved so much about it. It was light on the romance, but kept me hooked all the way through.

How to Walk Away starts out with a plane crash. It follows Margaret through the worst day of her life, and the journey of her healing and reco
Books and Jams Re...: End (ch 22-end) 18 52 Feb 26, 2020 08:25AM
Bookish First Rea...: How to Walk Away by Katherine Center 1 7 Oct 22, 2019 10:32AM
How is this Book? 8 71 Mar 18, 2019 04:30PM

• One Day in December
  • A Good Neighborhood
  • The Giver of Stars
  • Such a Fun Age
Katherine Center is the New York Times bestselling author of How to Walk Away, the upcoming Things You Save in a Fire (August 2019), and five other bittersweet comic novels. Six Foot Pictures is currently adapting her fourth novel, The Lost Husband, into a feature film starring Josh Duhamel, Leslie Bibb, and Nora Dunn. Katherine has been compared to both Nora Ephron and Jane Austen, and the Dallas ...more

Articles featuring this book

“When you don't know what to do for yourself, do something for somebody else.” 96 likes
“It's the trying that heals you. That's all you have to do. Just try.” 45 likes