Start by marking “Den goda dottern” as Want to Read:
Den goda dottern

Den goda dottern

(The Good Daughter #1)

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  85,842 ratings  ·  7,990 reviews
För tjugoåtta år sedan slogs Charlotte och Samantha Quinns familj i spillror. Attacken mot deras hem dödade inte bara deras mamma, utan krossade också deras pappa - stadens ökända försvarsadvokat - och ödelade deras familj för alltid.

Nu är systrarna vuxna, och Charlie är den perfekta dottern som har gått i sin pappas fotspår. När det brutala våldet återigen drabbar staden,
Published September 1st 2017 by HarperCrime (first published August 8th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Den goda dottern, please sign up.

·  85,842 ratings  ·  7,990 reviews

Emily May
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second thriller I've read lately that opens with a shitstorm of drama. In the best kind of way, of course. But The Good Daughter is, in some ways, much darker than Stillhouse Lake, and in other ways slower and more character-driven.

It's not a bad thing. Slaughter more closely resembles my beloved Tana French in style, making her books more about the detectives or, in this case, lawyers than about the actual crime/mystery. It's a clever technique that always ensures I'm invested, whe
Chelsea Humphrey
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chelsea by: Karin Slaughter
Full review:
Anyone who knows me well knows that I’m a Grade-A, Karin Slaughter junkie. I can’t get enough of her stuff; it’s like crack for nerds who like all the dark things in their reading repertoire. I began devouring her books right around my 18th birthday and have continued to do so for almost 10 years. She’s the only living author that I have continued to read for such an extended period of time; I tell you all this so that you are aware just how good these books truly are. I’m going to k
Karin Slaughter
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
A quick note to let you guys know that the publication date has moved up to August 8th for various exciting reasons that will become clear later on.

I also want to talk a little bit about the story. (With extremely, incredibly light spoilers in that I tell you who some of the characters are, but not what happens, especially when the aliens come and impregnate the men ha ha okay I'm just kidding about that, but you've been warned!)

With the GOOD DAUGHTER, I decided to do another stand-alone because
Melissa
*4.5 stars*

All hail the queen of crime fiction—Karin Slaughter has done it again. This clever author has penned another compelling and tantalizingly twisted thriller in her signature no-holds-barred approach. Not that I doubted her brilliance for even a second; there’s a reason she’s been one of my very favorites since stepping foot in Grant County more than a decade ago.

As readers we all find ourselves hanging on to an author’s every word for different reasons. For me, Karin Slaughter has alwa
Deanna
My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

4.5 Stars!!!!

After reading the description and the prequel for this novel, I knew I had to read it soon. This book was INTENSE! It honestly had me feeling ALL THE FEELS. I really did both laugh and cry while reading this novel. "The Good Daughter" had me in its clutches from page one until the very end, and I'm still feeling the after-effects.

The book opens in 1989. Samantha Quinn is fifteen years-old and her younger sister
PirateSteve
Dec 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you ever find yourself in need of a good criminal defense lawyer, Rusty Quinn is the man. He is notorious for the acquittals his clients have received. Legendary for his beliefs that all people deserve the best legal defense possible, no matter what their station in life or the crime they've been accused of. With Rusty on your side you'll be singing his praises as well.

"Sunshine is for everyone, Sunshine come back again
Come all without, Come all within
You ain't seen nothin like the Mighty Qu
Crumb

I have officially drank the Karin Slaughter kool-aid. It's not that I had an aversion to reading a book by Karin Slaughter, it's just that I kind of kept putting it off. Boy, what a mistake! This book was OUTSTANDING. It was chilling, explosive, and shocking. Those are just three words that I could use to describe this book. It was also so much more. In all honesty, I don't feel there is much more that I can add to the overwhelming amount of positive reviews that already exist for this novel, bu
Mary Beth *Traveling Sister*

This is not a series! I just found this out today. Also you do not need to read Last Breath which is a novella. I think this was listed as a series just to get you to buy the novella.
I think this was a cheap shot. Also very disappointed because I loved this book and was so looking forward to this being a series.

This is a stand alone. Did anyone else think this was a series or is it just me?

I just loved this book. I love Karin Slaughter and she has one hell of a good imagination. I just don't kno
Paromjit
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a superb, dark and brutal novel from the talented Karin Slaughter set in Pikeville, North Georgia. Two tragic set of events occur 28 years apart and their catastrophic repercussions on a family and their community are observed. Rusty is a notoriously able lawyer who believes that justice should be for everybody, such as defending innocent black people, and others deemed beyond the pale, like rapists. This has made Rusty a host of enemies, seen the family home burn down and bring fresh da ...more
Maureen
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
It's 1989 and Samantha and Charlotte Quinn's lives are about to change forever. Their father Rusty is a lawyer, and he represents some of the worst criminals in small town Pikeville. Some of them have committed crimes so bad that they're now on death row.

Someone in the community clearly has it in for Rusty, the family home is burned to the ground, and as we meet the family, they're living in an old farmhouse, that's seen better days. However, before they even get a chance to make this place a h
Meredith
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whew! That was a lot to take in.

Deeply disturbing intense read filled with drama, suspense, and unspeakable trauma. The Good Daughter is not for the faint hearted.

Teenage sisters Sam and Charlie experience a traumatic and torturous event. What happens to them scars them both literally and figuratively for life. Nearly 30 years later, the past they worked so hard to bury comes back to haunt them as they deal with the fall out of a school shooting. Buried secrets emerge about Sam and Charlotte’
Diane S ☔
2.5 I am giving this three stars because I kept reading, and did want to find out what happened. This was, however, much more graphic than I am comfortable with, and I resented the fact that it was repeated three different times in the book. While I know it was told from different viewpoints, and more details were uncovered in each telling, I thought it could have been done differently. Felt manipulated in the repetition of this horrific telling,as if it was used only for shock value. An additio ...more
Emma Giordano
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid 4 star read. This was a really interesting novel and I'm glad I picked it up.

TW: graphic murder, graphic rape, and miscarriages

I really enjoyed this story. I found it to be a strong psychological thriller as my head was constantly twisting between what is true and what is meant to be misleading. I will say, certain points were slow to trudge through and there was perhaps more dialogue than absolutely necessary, but nonetheless, it was a worthwhile read. I think I maybe would have liked a
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
”I love you, I know that you love me, but every time we see each other, we see what happened, and neither one of us will ever move forward if we are always looking back.”

I finished this book ages ago but never really managed to write a review about it. *sighs* I guess sometimes life just happens and you have your hands full! *lol* Well anyway, I still decided to write a short review because even though I finished this book a while ago, I’m still thinking about it and I don’t know about you, but
Melanie

(My amazing friend Amy, at A Court of Crowns and Quills, gave this to me as a birthday gift!) 💕

“Nothing ever truly faded. Time only dulled the edges.”

Friends, I’m going to be real with you all upfront; this is a really fucked up book. Before I even start my review, I’m going to list all the content and trigger warnings: graphic rape, pedophilia, penetration using an object, graphic deaths, mention of suicide, loss of a loved one, police brutality, racist comments, hurtful ableist comments, m
Larry H
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

You said it, George Takei! I seriously cannot get over this book.

Over the last few months I've seen a number of friends on Goodreads waxing poetic about Karin Slaughter. I like a good crime novel/thriller, so I figured I'd need to check her out at some point. Then I heard about her newest book, The Good Daughter, so I thought, "Let's give this the old look-see, shall we?"

DAMN, Karin Slaughter. You knocked my freaking head off with this one.

It was a fairly typical night for teenage sisters Charl
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
Read this without realizing it was the same author as "Pretty Girls" and thought they were equally dark... well that explains it!

Explicit sexual violence which was a bit too much for me but still an interesting character-driven mystery.

Not my fav. Not sure if I should read more from this author.

P.S. DO NOT GET THE AUDIOBOOK. The whispering then screaming was so annoying especially since I often listen to audiobooks in the shower... it was not fun.
Matthew
Maybe not quite as graphic and shocking as some other Karin Slaughter offerings, but still pretty intense. She always takes a gruesome series of events and steps it up a notch. Definitely an author to approach carefully if you are easily queasy.

I was enthralled by the story and the characters. There was a whole lot of "you think you know a person", but you realize every so often there is a lot that is not what it seems. Frequent flashbacks help to reveal new clues that bring two seemingly straig
*TANYA*
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-it
Wow!! Just WOW!!! Karin Slaughter keeps getting better. This book broke my heart, gave me anxiety, and made me cry several times. It had several "cringe/gasp" worthy moments. The writing was off the charts. I LOVED IT!!!
Debra
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-books

When discussing Karin Slaughter, Gillian Flynn is quoted as saying "I'll follow her anywhere." What Gillian doesn't know is that she will have to step in line behind ME!!!

Cop Town was my first Karin Slaughter book and it started my love affair with her books. I binge read her Grant County and Will Trent Series. She had me twisted up and crying in parts especially at the end of her Grant County series. I couldn't read Pretty Girls fast enough. If she decided to re-write a phone boo
Kendall
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, favorites
This was absolutely phenomenal!! If I could I'd give this 10 stars I would!!!

The Good Daughter is my second novel that I have read by Karin Slaughter and hands down... ladies and gentleman I think I must admit that I have a problem and am an official Slaughter addict.

Honestly, I can't give this novel enough praise that it truly deserves. THIS is how you truly write crime fiction. Karin Slaughter is extremely talented and holy cow does she have a dark imagination. But, I LOVE IT!! Karin has clim
Susanne  Strong
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.25* Stars. (rounded down)

Abso-fraking-Awesome! This was one heck of a read.

The Good Daughter was my first introduction to Karin Slaughter and I can say without hesitation, it won’t be my last.

Charlie Quinn and her sister Sam live in Pikesville, GA and they endure the most horrific event as kids. Something so bad, it changes their lives forever. It’s frightening and terrifying. Unthinkable actually.

As an adult, Charlie once again finds herself in the wrong place at the absolute worst time. Th
Kaceey
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5* Rounded up!

True to Karin Slaughter - A disturbing, chillingly and violent book. Two teenage sisters, Samantha and Charlie experience a violent event that will change the course of their lives. Years later as adults they are completely estranged from each other.

Wrong place at the wrong time places Charlie in the line of fire...literally!
Gunfire is heard, followed by screaming. Charlie doesn’t hesitate. She runs straight to the victims to assist. When a young teen is arrested for the shooting
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
When I see a new Karin Slaughter book coming out I get all excited. I'll beg and steal (I kid!) to get my greedy hands on a copy. I totally got denied an ARC copy of this one and I think I whined for 2 weeks. (Total first world problems)

I sucked it up after my husband told me to shut the hell up and requested it from my lovely library. Then proceeded to be almost late for work because I couldn't stop reading it.

Two sisters had their entire life changed twenty eight years ago. They and their mo
Elyse Walters
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Definitely more graphic - gritty - and violent than my normal steady reading diet - but I was prepared. If I’m going to do ‘graphic-gritty-violence- *Karin Slaughter* is high on my list of authors to choose.
Read what I had to say about “Pretty Girls”..... the only other book I’ve read by Slaughter.... ( I think...lol.... which was a few years back I believe).... but I remember that book from beginning to end and how I felt - changes I went through as I lost an entire night’s sleep like it was y
Luffy
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What did I think? I thought that the book was written very compactly. There was little breathing space. Usually I groan somewhat when reading two timelines. Not with this author.

Charlotte and Samantha Quinn are mere kids when they encounter a violent encounter. But now Charlotte herself is faced with going back in time to guess what happened actually.

This book has unambitious goals. To shock and excite maybe. But it is also a testament to the talent of the author, to keep her demanding readers g
Carol (Bookaria)
Twenty-eight years ago the Quinn family was getting ready for dinner when two masked men entered their home changed their lives forever.

Twenty-eight years later a violent event has shaken the small town of Pikesville and past secrets that seemed to be buried are resurfacing. I do not want to give any more details, just know that this is a great thriller.

The book is narrated from different points of view and alternates between the present and the past. The story is gripping and kept me captiva
Gary
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a stand alone novel by author Karin SLaughter that also featured in a prequel titled 'Last Breath'.
Twenty-eight years ago, Charlotte and Samantha Quinn's happy small town family life was torn apart by a terrifying attack on their family home. It left their mother dead. It left their father – Pikeville's notorious defence attorney – devastated. And it left the family fractured beyond repair, consumed by secrets from that terrible night.

Twenty-eight years later, and Charlie has followed in
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
Easily one of THE best books of 2017 and straight into my Top Ten Reads of 2017. Absolutely mind-blowing.

I didn't think that Karin Slaughter could beat Cop Town but she has. This was a book that I never wanted to end. I could have read 1000 more pages of this exceptional plot and stand-out characters. Seriously - you do not want to miss this book.

So let's get down to business. What did I love? Everything! I have not one quibble with this book. It's book perfection in my humble opinion. Karin S
Mackey
The Good Daughter is Karin Slaughter's most recent stand-alone and a must read for all of her fans. It is a gripping, intense family drama involving a crime that happened 28 years ago but which alters the course of the future, a school shooting and all of those involved.

The book opens with the story of Charlie, her sister and the original, horrific crime. It is told in very graphic, gruesome detail which Slaughter writes so very well. It brings the tale to the present day and the scenes of a sc

• Beartown (Beartown, #1)
  • The Underground Railroad
  • The Handmaid's Tale
  • Where'd You Go, Bernadette
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Don't Close Your Eyes
  • In the Blood
  • The Last Place You Look (Roxane Weary, #1)
  • Never Let You Go
  • A Gathering of Secrets (Kate Burkholder, #10)
  • Dead Woman Walking
  • The Night Olivia Fell
  • The Ruin (Cormac Reilly, #1)
  • The Secrets She Keeps
  • Right Behind You (Quincy & Rainie, #7)
  • Vanquished
  • The Bitter Season (Kovac and Liska, #5)
  • Speak of the Devil (Anna Curtis, #3)
Karin Slaughter is one of the world’s most popular and acclaimed storytellers. Published in 120 countries with more than 35 million copies sold across the globe, her nineteen novels include the Grant County and Will Trent books, as well as the Edgar-nominated COP TOWN and the instant NEW YORK TIMES bestselling novels PRETTY GIRLS, THE GOOD DAUGHTER, and PIECES OF HER. Her most recent book, THE LAS ...more
“Nothing ever truly faded. Time only dulled the edges.” 24 likes